No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Is brothergate in SP any worse than brother-sistergate in Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi? FWIW, that revelation of Luke/Leia being siblings was worse and diminished the franchise.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This appearant lack of development is INFURIATING. I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore! Ever since the release of Skyfall, EON has treated us fans like garbage. It's time we rise up. Therefore I'm hereby announcing that not only will I never pay for any future non-Bond EON releases, I will never watch any non-Bond movie produced by Barbara Broccoli or Michael G Wilson in the future.

4uZP.gif
    TripAces wrote: »
    Is brothergate in SP any worse than brother-sistergate in Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi? FWIW, that revelation of Luke/Leia being siblings was worse and diminished the franchise.

Terrible
    or not, George Lucas had every right to do with the story whatever was to his liking. Simply because he invented it all. If Ian Fleming had decided to make Blofeld James Bond‘s brother brothergate wouldn’t be the insult and rape it is.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Terrible
    or not, George Lucas had every right to do with the story whatever was to his liking. Simply because he invented it all. If Ian Fleming had decided to make Blofeld James Bond‘s brother brothergate wouldn’t be the insult and rape it is.

Fleming was probably going to reveal that in his next book.
    I've said this before, but I'm struck by what feels like a squandering (or anyway, a lack of good capitalization) on the huge amount of goodwill and brand power that EON had after SF.

The end of that film was exciting, for sure, and not just for devotees like us. Lots of people left the cinema keen to see what was coming next. I think that would've been a wise time for EON to press for another great script, to release a new video game, to look at keeping the momentum going any way they could.

Lastly, and I've also said this before, they urgently need to hire a great spokesperson/PR huckster. Even if you don't have a director and a script nailed down, you should be out there saying "we're really excited about where things are going next and we can't wait to deliver another great adventure."

Yes, EON have been victims of all sorts of circumstances beyond their control. But for some time now the loudest messages we've been hearing are about how tired everyone is, how they're concentrating on other projects, how they aren't prepared to think about Bond yet, how the supporting actors have no idea what's happening. Come on, EON - how the hell do you expect us to be excited about this if you don't seem to care either way yourselves?

Terrible

Sure, but for the sake of argument: the films changed A LOT about Blofeld: added the damn cat, and changed his general appearance to be more uniform. In fact, based on the McClory lawsuit, one could argue that Blofeld was not even Fleming's creation. Right?
    I'm not convinced that Hodge's idea is so amazing anyway, even if it does make it to production. The last time the filmmakers told us they had a great script, we got CGI Komodo dragons and a poor man's STRAW DOGS.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Yes, EON have been victims of all sorts of circumstances beyond their control. But for some time now the loudest messages we've been hearing are about how tired everyone is, how they're concentrating on other projects, how they aren't prepared to think about Bond yet, how the supporting actors have no idea what's happening. Come on, EON - how the hell do you expect us to be excited about this if you don't seem to care either way yourselves?

That is a very good point.

Terrible

Sure, but for the sake of argument: the films changed A LOT about Blofeld: added the damn cat, and changed his general appearance to be more uniform. In fact, based on the McClory lawsuit, one could argue that Blofeld was not even Fleming's creation. Right?

Sorry, but that’s not in the slightest comparable.

Terrible

Sorry, but that’s not in the slightest comparable.

I am not offering a comparison. I am offering a matter of degree.
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This appearant lack of development is INFURIATING. I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore! Ever since the release of Skyfall, EON has treated us fans like garbage. It's time we rise up. Therefore I'm hereby announcing that not only will I never pay for any future non-Bond EON releases, I will never watch any non-Bond movie produced by Barbara Broccoli or Michael G Wilson in the future.
    mad-as-hell.jpg
  • RC7RC7

Satire, people.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

As @noSolaceleft said, Lucas had every right to do so. Moreover Luke and Leia were close friends and the fact they're brother and sister pretty much changed nothing in the great scheme of things.

Brofeld reveals he created SPECTRE, the most evil organisation in the world, simply out of jealousy. Not to mention we're expected to believe that the biggest criminal and the biggest secret agent crossed their paths as childs as if fate were at play (in SW it's the Force, which makes sense in the movies context).
    Walecs wrote: »

As @noSolaceleft said, Lucas had every right to do so. Moreover Luke and Leia were close friends and the fact they're brother and sister pretty much changed nothing in the great scheme of things.

Brofeld reveals he created SPECTRE, the most evil organisation in the world, simply out of jealousy. Not to mention we're expected to believe that the biggest criminal and the biggest secret agent crossed their paths as childs as if fate were at play (in SW it's the Force, which makes sense in the movies context).

I buy all that. I brought it up as a matter of interesting debate (I hated the Luke-Leia relationship, btw, as much as brothergate). BUT...where did you get the idea that Blofeld built Spectre out of jealousy? I didn't get that impression at all. Did I miss something?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I can assure you that you won't be missing much and 95%+ of the members on this forum will probably be doing the same thing. I mean who the heck here really wants to see Film Stars Don't Die or Rhythm whatever? We're not the market for this product. It seems to me that EON is trying to expand and diversify its viewing base.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Any thoughts/predictions on when we’ll get our next bit of official news?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

May
    September/October for big news.
    im interested in the Reddit post of the bond coming close/brush with death rumor on Reddit
    One of SP’s biggest issues to me is that everything just felt too easy. That’s just off for Bond - especially for Craig’s Bond. He could just spring up from nasty torture and obliterate a whole base no problem...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    To quote Honest Trailers. "It's like playing GoldenEye on easy mode." =))
    Boy why can't stop delay get made & release in 2019. We getting worried & upset.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,593
    "One of SP’s biggest issues to me is that everything just felt too easy. That’s just off for Bond - especially for Craig’s Bond. He could just spring up from nasty torture and obliterate a whole base no problem... "

"To quote Honest Trailers. "It's like playing GoldenEye on easy mode.""

@FoxRox Yeah, they really sold out there. Such poor writing.

@Murdock This is a pretty good "honest trailer". My favourite though is the Top Gun one. Hilarious:

"Hell yeah, let's go kiss some dudes! I mean, kiss some arse. Ah, I mean, buy some planes. Yeah, that's what I meant.”
    boldfinger wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch as Blofield lol

Ooooh no....as a villain yes,as Blofeld no !
    Of course not as Blofeld!

As his brother!

Would that be his slightly smarter brother?
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    This might have already been brought up, but Rachel Weisz will be promoting her new film "Disobedience" on Colbert's show on the 26th April. Perhaps she'll give us something to talk about? Worst case it'll be an anxious Colbert trying to keep his cool around her (I'm sure we've all seen Craig's last time on the show). :)

May May 2019

There is an irony here in that, of all the Bond films in the entire series, SF has both the huge market impact AND an ending which is both uplifting and positively looking forward to the next mission (I think unique in that ?). It's literally sitting on the desk, waiting to be picked up and Bond is raring to go.

So, yes, everything was perfectly set up after SF to continue the upward tragectory or, at least equal it. You wonder in future if an undated "Some Kind of Hero" will tell the definitive story of what, I suspect, could be an omnishables, from after SF to perhaps now and, more importantly, when this will end and something crucial happens that alters the spiral from downward to upward.
    barryt007 wrote: »

May May 2019

Now that Daniel has a kid on the way I can foresee Bond 25 being delayed until after the child is born. Then delayed until the kid is ready to start school.
    By that point Craig should be around Sir Rogers age when he did AVTAK.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,755
    Looks like Craig won’t be returning after all if a baby is on the way.