No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure the budget will be toned down heavily when a new actor takes over. Hope the same can be said for B25, at least to a degree. $300 million plus is unnecessary.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @Creasy47 ; and with a director like Boyle, I can’t see him wanting a big budget to tell his story!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    Agreed @Creasy47 ; and with a director like Boyle, I can’t see him wanting a big budget to tell his story!

Indeed. He prefers smaller films, so I'm sure even $150 million would be too much for him. But I guess we'll see, provided he is the director.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm sure the budget will be toned down heavily when a new actor takes over. Hope the same can be said for B25, at least to a degree. $300 million plus is unnecessary.

This. I've suspected (but obviously don't know) that when SPECTRE was being developed there was a mind-set that "If this made $1 billion, the next one will make $1.5 billion." As a result, (strictly IMO) there was spending for spending sake (e.g. the Rome "car drive," the "biggest explosion in motion picture history," etc., etc.
    I was trying to remember why the wait between 2008-2012 was easier and then I remembered we had the Activision Bond games to keep us busy (for those of us that play)

I have full faith in Bond 25 and Activision absolutely deserved to have their license taken away, but it would be nice if EON or MGM would have commissioned new games for this time period. I miss those
    I wish Rockstar or Naughty Dog could make Bond games.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Some random thoughts to either stir or calm the waters, here:

1. From what I am reading, the delay on Bond 25 would be the result of Boyle's work schedule more than the shake-up at MGM.
    2. I am having a hard time figuring out why Universal is going to wait so long to release the Boyle musical-comedy. That film will be shooting soon and likely done by July. So why the 15-month post-production? That is insane. That film should be ready for release next spring. Unless...
    3. Universal has pushed back that release date to CAPITALIZE on Bond. If so, this would suggest that the Bond 25 release date is firm. Or it could be at Boyle's request so that he is not doing the circuit while in production on Bond 25 (which makes sense).
    4. There is no way EON (and MGM) would tie itself to Boyle if his other commitments were standing in the way. MGM is hurting and desperately needs Bond. Any delay is like tossing money into the wind. The investors won't have any of it.
    5. If i am wrong, and EON is sticking with Boyle and allowing his work schedule to dictate the release of Bond 25, then this idea of his and Hodge's better be damn good.

I would hope his "idea" is good, but I am completely skeptical after brother-gate. For all we know, Boyle's concept might be that Bond's parents never actually died in a climbing accident, and that Bond's biological father is actually Sheriff JW Pepper of the Louisiana State Police (with Joe Don Baker in talks to return to the series to tackle that iconic role).
    I´m dead serious, if Joe Don Baker returns I´ll be open for any story they come up with. He was the best supporting actor since Bernard Lee, after Desmond Llewelyn.

Now ya dunit boy..a secret agent! But working for who?! Those gawd dang black ruskies?
    As I've said before,i think the problem is that MGM are only offering a 1 film deal.

A distributor wont want to do a 1 film deal for the last film of a Bond actors reign,they want a deal to include the fresh new 007 as well,and probably a 3-4 film deal at least.

THAT's where the money is,and this,I think,is the stumbling block.
    //(wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).//

That was reported by The New York Times on April 20, 2017, almost a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

@AlexanderWaverly ... Forgive me-- I'm missing your point. EoN is ready to shoot B25 and has made arrangements with another film company regarding the mutual director who will be shooting these film... It really does (as in most cases re: Bond delays), be an MGM agenda/stumble/dragging of feet.

You might also add that there’s no real proof for your convictions. If EON had all things in place we would know more about it and not only those bits of rumors. I would also imagine that they would do a good deal of public complaining if it all was MGM’s fault.
    @Tuck91 , maybe, no argument from me. But a Craig Bond film, with Boyle, guarantees a low-end $750 million (averaging his films and accounting for inflation, and taming the BEAST that SF was)... Right now, DC is the smart choice for maximum profit.

Yeah sure. Just think of all those young woman ( and probably male youngsters included )who long to see him again.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    //(wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).//

That was reported by The New York Times on April 20, 2017, almost a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

@AlexanderWaverly ... Forgive me-- I'm missing your point. EoN is ready to shoot B25 and has made arrangements with another film company regarding the mutual director who will be shooting these film... It really does (as in most cases re: Bond delays), be an MGM agenda/stumble/dragging of feet.

You might also add that there’s no real proof for your convictions. If EON had all things in place we would know more about it and not only those bits of rumors. I would also imagine that they would do a good deal of public complaining if it all was MGM’s fault.

Seems to me they've got Jack Shit ready, a release date does not a film make. There is a potential director - if the script meets with approval from various parties, some bloke to play Bond…and bugger all else!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For those of us (older) fans that have no connection to the world of games, those offer little consolation.

I like the games but to be honest they've offered little consolation for me during the Craig era anyway.

Back in the early 00s they had a little trilogy of great games that tided me over nicely between TWINE-DAD and DAD-CR. Proper big budget titles that were great games in their own right, and they finally started doing original stories (the 90s ones were just movie tie ins), so it really was like having a new film. I genuinely think Nightfire would have been a better movie than Die Another Day, and Everything or Nothing even had Willem Dafoe as the villain.

Then when Brosnan got the sack they sort of lost their direction and we got a boring fan fictiony mess called Goldeneye Rogue Agent (no relation to the film, you play as a guy with an actual golden eye who works for Goldfinger to fight SPECTRE, it really is as bad as it sounds) and a FRWL adaptation which butchered the film (to be fair though they actually got Sean Connery to do it, so if they'd gone with an original story that could have been something special).

Then a new company got the licence during the Craig era and we got a movie tie in of CR/QoS, which was pretty poor. They tried their hand at an original one with Bloodstone which isn't a bad game in itself, but I wasn't a fan because they seemed to be styling it after QoS (movie), they must have just assumed that was the route the films were taking and that's my least favourite Bond film so yeah. Then we got a crap Goldeneye remake which was a cheap rip off of Call of Duty. 007 Legends was exactly the same but even worse because they ruined five movies instead of just one, and it did really poorly and was generally seen as just a terrible game all round. That was 2012 and there haven't been any new ones since.

During the Brosnan era the games were a great way to bridge the gap between movies. But Activision ran the licence into the ground and now when the gaps are longer than ever and we need the games to tide us over the most we don't have any.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really think they've let the momentum they had after SF slip away and it's a shame. Sure they wouldn't have been able to recreate that kind of success (Olympics, 50th) but there was still so much hype around then that they could have taken advantage of.

That's one of EoN's problems; they see a bit of success and they let it get to their head and then click things up. There was no reason for a 3 year gap between SF and SP and as much as some people want to harp on about the Sony leaks understandably being a bad thing, what it did do was expose things CLEARLY that we never would have had the full picture about in how the process of SP's preproduction played out. It was absolutely pathetic.
    With so much emphasis put on Bond's relevance in the films these days EoN don't seem to have learned much from the product their peddling; the Bond IP isn't enough in name only, you have to actually deliver!
    Instead we wait three years for the next film which, as much as I enjoyed it and as well as it did over here in the UK, I think we can now say is generally seen as a disappointment. It's regularly ripped to shreds when it's bought up online. A bunch of rumors come out about the lead actor which aren't fair at all, we all know the wrist slash thing was taken out of context, but they really don't do enough at all to calm down that bad press. They don't seem to making any headway towards the next film. There's some media attention though because of the possibility of a new actor. Finally nearly two years after the release of SP, Craig says he's back, in a film that's another two years away. Any momentum coming from how successful SF was is pretty much gone at this point.

EoN will always have their blind defenders but there's nothing anyone can say to me that contradicts my opinion that EoN have seriously mismanaged the Bond brand. They've failed on certain key aspects at the most basic of levels. You dont need to be an expert to see and identify the obvious. EoN, to quote M have fucked things up.
    I don't want Bond to be Marvel.

With the cutrent producers in place, it'll never be like Marvel. Despite Babs and Mike G's experience they're acting like dinosaurs ready to be put out to pasture and thats soeqkinh from a creativecand management perspective. Their behaviour and decision making process post SF has been amateurish and abysmal.
    I like that it's an event.

Is it? I know it used to be. The press release and photocalls are more of an event than the actual films these days and its frustrating as hell.
    But I do think it's a shame that in 2012 they seemed to be in such a good, exciting position. And the ending of SF showed so much promise as well. All those people who saw the film and loved it walked out of the cinema knowing Bond was about to get back to work "with pleasure". It really felt like the start of a new era itself, a shot in the arm after QoS. And they've done next to nothing with it.

Bond needs new management. Period. This rudderless and highly questionable "leadership" going on over at EoN/MgM is so unbecoming for a film series this rich. For a character that's supposed to be timeless, Bond is now fast becoming if not already the old and decrepit man at the club in this Hollywood climate and I'm not trying to hear that be about Bond beating odds years ago. The parameters have changed and care vastly different and until I SEE a change that stirs things back on track ala CR after DAD then everything is just piss in the wind.

Boyle's involvement is the only reason why I'm even remotely interested in Bond 25 as of now.
    @doubleoego Honestly same. I wanted a fresh start, not another Craig film, especially after such a long gap. I could have lived with it if they went the YOLT route because that's my favourite of the books, but there seems to be no hope of that now.

Boyle is the only reason I'm still excited because he's one of my favourite directors. You'd think the longer gaps would have me craving more Bond but it's honestly just killed my enthusiasm this time around, mostly because I think Craig has been Bond for too long now and a new actor would have been more exciting.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @doubleoego Honestly same. I wanted a fresh start, not another Craig film, especially after such a long gap. I could have lived with it if they went the YOLT route because that's my favourite of the books, but there seems to be no hope of that now.

Boyle is the only reason I'm still excited because he's one of my favourite directors. You'd think the longer gaps would have me craving more Bond but it's honestly just killed my enthusiasm this time around, mostly because I think Craig has been Bond for too long now and a new actor would have been more exciting.

In full agreement. Bond deserves better but unfortunately the level of disservice is just so overwhelming it's weighing on the enthusiasm of many a fan I'm sure.
    Certainly is.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I certainly wouldn’t be in favor of it. He is a one trick pony and Sherlock gave me enough ( and I feel also the best )of him.
    Interesting,but not a lot was really mentioned in that interview.

What's funny though ,is the final line in the article : James Bond 25 will be released in UK cinemas on April 26, 2018.

Dream on FFS !!!
    That interview was interesting, but to say Danny Boyle has "taken over the James Bond franchise" is a bit of a stretch.

I'll wait for the official EON press announcement.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    MGM should announce Sony as distributor of B25 and then explore a sale or push back B25 to 2020, its clear that theyre not ready. MGM is a convulted mess right now.
    Benedict Cumberbatch as Blofield lol
    Risico007 wrote: »

Ooooh no....as a villain yes,as Blofeld no !

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As Brofeld. The age also sits well, mind?
    As Brofeld. The age also sits well, mind?

Perfectly for a family tea party.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    He certainly has a legion of rabid fans. Cumberb!^@hes as they are known. Even more obsessed than the Hiddlestoners or the Pine Nuts.

"Kaaaahn!!!"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He’s got one helluva great voice.
    He’s got one helluva great voice.

Perfect for Holmes or a suave Bond villain,for sure.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Ooooh no....as a villain yes,as Blofeld no !
    Of course not as Blofeld!

As his brother!