The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    The Shape of Water, The Disaster Artist, and Lady Bird - all some of my favorites from 2017!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Went ahead and got Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan pre-ordered on 4K. Figure I'll end up getting Die Hard and The Matrix around the same time in 4K, too.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Shape of Water, The Disaster Artist, and Lady Bird - all some of my favorites from 2017!

I loved all three. I’ll probably add them to my collection too.

I just got a free digital copy of a Justice League, which is nice because I didn’t want to support WB by paying for it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,442
    easy-a-blu-ray.jpg
    BD: Easy A (2010) € 3,00

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSEgPb3GrSg2TXSuE7iFrGKsuD9FG6jQtHNAExERkfrBf3r6Pf
    BD: Ghostbusters (1984) - Steelbook € 5,00.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    FFTSWPoster.jpg

I've been wanting to buy this on blu-ray for awhile now but could never find a copy. I finally found one at Best Buy for $7.99. It's very underrated. I was about thirteen when it released and I've enjoyed it ever since.

Ghost in the Shell
    344709-af157fbe4372b51a656a84e9481e5def.jpg

Found a pretty good steelbook at Best Buy and had to get it. Most people don't like this movie but I enjoyed it and don't mind adding it to my collection.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,364
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    FFTSWPoster.jpg

I've been wanting to buy this on blu-ray for awhile now but could never find a copy. I finally found one at Best Buy for $7.99. It's very underrated. I was about thirteen when it released and I've enjoyed it ever since.

Ghost in the Shell
    344709-af157fbe4372b51a656a84e9481e5def.jpg

Found a pretty good steelbook at Best Buy and had to get it. Most people don't like this movie but I enjoyed it and don't mind adding it to my collection.

I have Final Fantasy on Bluray, also had it on dvd since its release, I agree a very underrated movie it was very ambitious for its time.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,289
    Came across a DVD/Blu-ray shelf at a store while doing errands today, and couldn't resist getting a couple of DVD's: The Snowman (2017), and Cemetery Junction (2010).

Haven't had the opportunity to watch The Snowman yet, but having read a few Jo Nesbø books (but not the novel the film is based on), I'm a bit curious how Fassbender portrays Detective Harry Hole. Know very little about Cemetery Junction, just saw the «Written and directed by ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant» tagline, and decided to get it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Torgeirtrap, I wish you luck with The Snowman - I've heard no reception about it past shredding negativity, filled with plot holes and things that make no sense whatsoever. It seems that while the novel is great, the adaptation itself is poor. I saw an interview a while back where the director noted it's due to a lot being left on the cutting room floor, much to his disagreement, which is a shame.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,289
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, I wish you luck with The Snowman - I've heard no reception about it past shredding negativity, filled with plot holes and things that make no sense whatsoever. It seems that while the novel is great, the adaptation itself is poor. I saw an interview a while back where the director noted it's due to a lot being left on the cutting room floor, much to his disagreement, which is a shame.

Haven't heard that - what a shame. The story behind the (pre-)production was well covered here. Martin Scorsese(!) was attached to direct at one point, but dropped out, and Morten Tyldum (Headunters/The Imitation Game) declined. Luckily they didn't shoot the film in a different country, which was a possibility at one point.

I'm interested to see how I feel about a bunch of foreign actors playing Norwegian characters. Had my problems with Craig playing a Swede in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, for example.
    Got my copy of Star Wars: The Last Jedi today - the Target edition that came with both Blu-Ray and DVD. As I've said before, I think critics overrated it and audiences underrated it. It's flawed, but I like it. My second favorite post-original trilogy SW film (after ROTS).
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,257
    I wasn't a huge fan of The Last Jedi, but my Star Wars collection wouldn't be complete without it. The Shape of Water, on the other hand, may be my favorite film of 2017.

6164820_sa.jpg;maxHeight=500;maxWidth=500

6178114_sa.jpg;maxHeight=500;maxWidth=500
    It’s my favorite of 2017 too!

For me: Last Jedi = good
    The Shape of Water = amazing
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THOR: RAGNAROK

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A1TCC%2Bsc9bL._SL1500_.jpg

11482142-3494508443265928.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx6Yq_q9-hRtMF85K0lCnPDddazrwFf96mSvzCrtUIldwXOM0W

Decent film directed by Guy Hamilton, I am a big fan of Christie picked this film up at a bargain price.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Decent film directed by Guy Hamilton, I am a big fan of Christie picked this film up at a bargain price.

This is the first time I’ve noticed, Jared Leto gets second billing in that film. That’s insanity

This is the first time I’ve noticed, Jared Leto gets second billing in that film. That’s insanity

Even more so for the Theatrical Version Leto is in that even less.
    Remove Leto and Kinnaman and Suicide Squad is a great movie.
    Remove Leto and Kinnaman and Suicide Squad is a great movie.

Agree Leto is over rated he always looks like he is acting (over acting), Kinnaman is a charisma vacuum.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    With all the media crying to "give Leto a chance" and recalling similar events taking place with Ledger's casting in the role that received backlash at first, I did give Leto a chance. His Joker shares zero parallels with the source material of any kind. He looked like a modern-day thug gangster with gold teeth, tattoos, gold jewelry around his neck whatsoever and anger issues. That's not The Joker. That's perhaps some forgotten member from the Jokerz biker gang from Batman Beyond.

I'd be happy if they replace Leto with a better actor and reinvigorate Joker to his classic form. Or at least something that resonates with the source material as a convincing Joker.
    Leto was good in BR 49, though. Maybe it s down to Villeneuve.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed on that one.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Every scene with Leto was the best scene in BR2049
    517B8IDu5RL._SY445_.jpg

After watching Evil Under the Sun bought this HD download, Death on the Nile easily the best Peter Ustinov Poirot film.

Lois Chiles is gorgeous in this film.
    71zkmvqaRVL._SX342_.jpg

I have only previously owned these films on VHS, these movies are long over due for a revisit

66113_large.jpg

Bought this also Wes Block is not that far removed from Harry Callahan, when I watched Tightrope as a kid initially I thought it was a Dirty Harry film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    71zkmvqaRVL._SX342_.jpg

I have only previously owned these films on VHS, these movies are long over due for a revisit

66113_large.jpg

Bought this also Wes Block is not that far removed from Harry Callahan, when I watched Tightrope as a kid initially I thought it was a Dirty Harry film.

The NeoCon view: Dirty Harry panders to the left.
    The NeoLib view: Dirty Harry promotes fascism.
    ME: Cool movies.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Dirty Harry > The Dead Pool > Magnum Force > Sudden Impact > The Enforcer.

I want to watch Tightrope.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    71zkmvqaRVL._SX342_.jpg

66113_large.jpg

The NeoCon view: Dirty Harry panders to the left.
    The NeoLib view: Dirty Harry promotes fascism.
    ME: Cool movies.

Agree looking forward to binge watching them
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Dirty Harry > The Dead Pool > Magnum Force > Sudden Impact > The Enforcer.

I want to watch Tightrope.

Tightrope is a good film it's pretty dark in places definitely recommend it.

Bought a few more HD downloads in the Amazon Easter sale...

s592

51bv3NNKvyL._SY445_.jpg

91VatzAqOSL._RI_SX200_.jpg
    1974 Great film and the best Poirot cinematic interpretation IMO
    91pJLei7z%2BL._SY445_.jpg

HD download
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    91TJyJ-T5HL._SL1500_.jpg
    81rz4DMlY7L._SL1500_.jpg