The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It should be titled GET THE APPEAL.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,375
    Get Carter (1971).
    One of the Michael Caine must-see films that I've never had the chance to watch.

Great film a typical gritty Brittish classic.

Bought...

71iOX2Tu0sL._SY445_.jpg
    Get Carter (1971).
    One of the Michael Caine must-see films that I've never had the chance to watch.

Bought...

71iOX2Tu0sL._SY445_.jpg

That one is a masterpiece.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Get Carter (1971).

Bought...

71iOX2Tu0sL._SY445_.jpg

I do like films like Sin City
    Get Carter (1971).

Bought...

71iOX2Tu0sL._SY445_.jpg

I do like films like Sin City

Both of those are masterpieces as well.
    Get Carter (1971).

I saw it on tv a few years ago, and didn t get the appeal.

It was probably cut to ribbons as it usually is on TV. One of my all time favourite thrillers. Caine is brilliant and Roy Budd does a memorable score. Killer ending too! Highly recommended...oh and avoid the abysmal remake with Stallone!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Yesterday (10 March):
    1000004001379139.jpg
    The soundtrack of Chocolat (2000) for € 1,00.

Today:
    a396ea20-7e14-11e5-9cd9-50695e76f07c.jpg
    Dvd from Crazy Beautiful (2001) for € 0,50.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited March 2018 Posts: 7,854
    61181319-5.jpg

It should ship tomorrow. Only $20. Though I bought the DVD.
    61181319-5.jpg

It should ship tomorrow. Only $20. Though I bought the DVD.

Looks a good boxset, I have the Bluray Trilogy that got revamped as the 30th Anniversary edition there are some great extras/documentarys.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,293

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

I do like British crime, so I'm hoping this will be a good one!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Get Carter (1971).

It was probably cut to ribbons as it usually is on TV. One of my all time favourite thrillers. Caine is brilliant and Roy Budd does a memorable score. Killer ending too! Highly recommended...oh and avoid the abysmal remake with Stallone!

Have heard bits and pieces of the score, and it does sound interesting. Think I saw the remake years ago, but can't remember anything from it. That one moved the location to the States, didn't it?

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

Have heard bits and pieces of the score, and it does sound interesting. Think I saw the remake years ago, but can't remember anything from it. That one moved the location to the States, didn't it?

Can't honestly remember. It's really bad remake, Get Carter is one of those movies that didn't need to be redone!
    Roy Budd was a great composer. 'Who Dares Wins' 'The Wild Geese' and and a lovely score for 'Kidnapped' another Caine movie, are all his work.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

Can't honestly remember. It's really bad remake, Get Carter is one of those movies that didn't need to be redone!
    Roy Budd was a great composer. 'Who Dares Wins' 'The Wild Geese' and and a lovely score for 'Kidnapped' another Caine movie, are all his work.

Fortunately, I don't remember much about the remake. I remember the ending being different, and didn't they try and make Carter sympathetic (rather than Carter being a real piece of work in the original)? I would suggest to anyone about to watch the remake, just watch the original instead.
    I am a big fan of Sly though that period of his career with films like D-Tox and Get Carter I avoided.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Blu ray;
    Eyes wide shut
    A clockwork orange
    American made
    The hangover
    Top gun
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've had Eyes Wide Shut in my Netflix queue for quite some time, need to get around to it some day soon.
    Blu ray;
    Eyes wide shut
    A clockwork orange
    American made
    The hangover
    Top gun

Oh man; A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are two favorites of mine. Amazing films.
    Justice League HD Download, pre ordered in 4K though not available for 2 weeks. It's better than my cinema experience so far.

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

I'll stay away from the remake, then! Haven't seen any of those films you mentioned, either. The Wild Geese is one I hope to watch soon.

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

Fortunately, I don't remember much about the remake. I remember the ending being different, and didn't they try and make Carter sympathetic (rather than Carter being a real piece of work in the original)? I would suggest to anyone about to watch the remake, just watch the original instead.

Remakes rarely work out well, don't they. Especially remakes of classics/cult classics.

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

I'll stay away from the remake, then! Haven't seen any of those films you mentioned, either. The Wild Geese is one I hope to watch soon.

Hah!
    Get Carter (1971).

Get Carter (1971).

Remakes rarely work out well, don't they. Especially remakes of classics/cult classics.

I'd be the last one to be praising a Brossa film..but I do think the remake of 'The Thomas Crown Affair' was an improvement over the original!
    Do check out 'The Wild Geese' before they do a redo of it!!...Richards Burton and Harris and our Rog and a sterling British character actor cast + veteran Andrew McLaglen helming and rousing action work from John Glen and Bob Simmons. Great old style entertainment!
    Sold! Definitely will have to watch The Wild Geese now!
    The Thomas Crown Affair remake is a good exception. One of the very few examples where I can say that I like both the original and the remake. Don't know if I like the remake more than the original, but both are good films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Prefer the remake myself. Better narrative, better depiction, and by far a more suited actor for Thomas Crown.
    Not a movie, but :

aff_IRISHCELTICGENERATIONS_640.jpg

Bought at the merchandise stand, along with the programme and the CD of the show.
    Prefer the remake myself. Better narrative, better depiction, and by far a more suited actor for Thomas Crown.

A bit fifty-fifty for me. I think Steve McQueen was good in the role too, and I sure like the 1968 version. Will have to watch both films soon, as it's been ages since the last time.
    A bit fifty-fifty for me. I think Steve McQueen was good in the role too, and I sure like the 1968 version. Will have to watch both films soon, as it's been ages since the last time.
    I love both, actually. And even though I like Steve McQueen in his role, it feels like he was miscast. The original has a superior setting and cinematography, however.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I love both, actually. And even though I like Steve McQueen in his role, it feels like he was miscast. The original has a superior setting and cinematography, however.
    I like them both too. They are sufficiently different.

I much prefer Faye Dunaway in the original. She has more poise and style in comparison to Russo's character imho.

In terms of Brosnan/McQueen, I'm neither here nor there, but I think McQueen has a certain special something on screen which makes him very interesting to watch. The character depiction for Brosnan was better though.
    Oh I definitely prefer Faye Dunaway's character over Russo's. I just think Russo was miscast and her character was made a loudmouth as well as an overreacting vulgar woman "to show empowerment" ("Whatever the hell that is." in Denbigh's words).

I much rather they cast Rebecca Romijn in the role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Rebecca Romijn would have been amazing in anything in the 90s.

I generally like Russo in anything that she does, so I'm surprised at the fact that I didn't enjoy her in the role. I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding her being a bit of a loudmouth, but then again in today's day and age we may be censored for such views, regrettably.
    That's very sadly true, mate.
    I thought Russo was one of the better things about the film! But I just prefer it as it was a better caper and I love the finale in the gallery, really well staged by director John McTiernan
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,293
    bondjames wrote: »
    In terms of Brosnan/McQueen, I'm neither here nor there, but I think McQueen has a certain special something on screen which makes him very interesting to watch. The character depiction for Brosnan was better though.

My thoughts, as well. McQueen had that effortlessly "special something" he could bring to the screen. This is not taking away anything from Brosnan, who suited the remake perfectly.

Also agree on Russo. Don't have anything about her being cast, but if I remember the film correctly, I didn't care too much for how the character was portrayed. Possibly more a script/direction issue, possibly?