The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five, welcome to the club, those are some excellent titles (both as films themselves and for picture/audio quality) for a 4K introduction, particularly the IMAX sequences. Still can't get over the quality in that opening plane escape in TDKR, or even the bank vault heist that opens TDK.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MV5BMTQzNjA4Nzk3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzIzMjg4._V1_.jpg DVD

That tag line made me chuckle, funny when these films aired on UK TV they were Death Train and Night Watch, it's the first time I have seen that they are part of a Detonator series of films.
    51RA8M3J7WL._SY445_.jpg

Made sense to buy the first one.

I only saw the first and that was years ago. I remember being a bit bored with it. However I'm a Brosnan fan so maybe I should give it another shot.

I was just flicking through eBay and saw Night Watch it was only £2 it's been over twenty years since I watched it (where has time gone) more a minor curiosity and pre Brosbond nostalgia on my part, the films are very much TV movie standard decent cast though.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I’ve got a question for those in the know.

Got a collection of about 500 DVD’s and I want to update them to Blu-ray. I intend to buy only my very favourite films, should be between 120 and 150 films.

However, does Blu-ray present the viewer with the very best resolution and is it still going to last for some time?
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Got a collection of about 500 DVD’s and I want to update them to Blu-ray. I intend to buy only my very favourite films, should be between 120 and 150 films.

However, does Blu-ray present the viewer with the very best resolution and is it still going to last for some time?

At this rate, I'd wait for 4K UHD - they'll only get more and more popular from here on out, and I'd wager by the time you finally make the transition and spend all that money, you would realize you would've been better off making a 4K upgrade instead.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Thanks @Creasy47, I wouldn’t have known that.

In that case, I think I’ll just wait for a while. When do you think the Bond films will appear on that new format? Is it a matter of months or years?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,721

I think I can claim to be "in the know" somehow, having over 2,000 disks about two-thirds of which are Blu-ray by now. I watch them via an eight-year old (by now) Epson Full-HD projector (recently changed the bulb for the first time) on a screen with a diagonal of 4.2 meters (roughly 14 ft., for those who don't understand the metric system).

Even at the cinema, I like to have seats that sort of immerse me in the movie. Which is contrary to most people wanting to sit far back, but then, I'm past the age of going to a theatre for having a couple of quiet hours with some crush of mine. So at our home theatre, we placed the seats (a fold-out sofa, by the way) so close to the screen as to just not see the individual dots of the image. Which means about 3.5 meters viewing distance.

All I can say is that I'm still totally thrilled by the sharpness of BDs, and I'm having serious problems to imagine it could be noticeably better in 4K (I also never developed any interest whatsoever in 3D). While I'm sort of a perfectionist in general, I especially see no reason to upgrade considering the costs. Older BDs are now cheaper than the DVDs I had bought in the first round (2002 - 2010), and I replaced the large majority of my favourite movies which I had on DVD (and a part of them, VHS before that) by the BD version...even quite a few I had never watched on DVD and which were still shrink-wrapped, since I lost the urge to see the "inferior" version.

My personal take is that I'll stick with BD, in 2D, for as long as the system is offered. While I'm buying far too many movies that I don't seem to manage to actually watch, I'm not ready to pay three or four times as much for a technically superior version I won't watch either. So Blu-ray is a compromise that satisfies me totally at this time.
    Thanks @Creasy47, I wouldn’t have known that.

In that case, I think I’ll just wait for a while. When do you think the Bond films will appear on that new format? Is it a matter of months or years?

They're currently available for 4K streaming via iTunes, but in terms of a native 4K UHD release, it has yet to be dated. Having said that, I'd bet all the money in the world that if we don't see them in 2018, they'll most certainly coincide with the theatrical release of B25, much like they did with the missing blu-ray versions of the Bond installments as we geared up for SF's release in 2012.

A 4K upgrade may not be noticeable or even necessary to a lot of people, and that's fine, different strokes for different folks, but I definitely notice quite the uptick in quality. Of course, that varies from film to film. Stuff like Kingsman: The Golden Circle was absolutely mind-melting to me in terms of quality - akin to just peering out my window, it seemed so lifelike. Then you have stuff like the original Blade Runner, which I honestly didn't think would get much better than the blu-ray version, until I made the upgrade and couldn't believe just how much detail and minor intricacies I was missing out on.
    Picked up The Florida Project at Walmart; a really good film.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257
    I’ve been thinking for some time that we should have a specific thread where we can discuss everything from DVD, Blu-ray, 4K, digital, and even different media players. Even perhaps things like the future of media viewing. Sound like something some of you may like chatting about?
    Sure. I can mention again how I don’t need formats about DVD.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,518
    Good idea I have many media streamers from PC, Roku, Roku 4K, Fire Stick, Fire TV Box, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Tablets I like my tech. I stream Netflix, Amazon, Usual UK TV free apps, WWE Network, Man United TV. Seems over the top though I can have three devices playing content at the same time ;))

I have a chromecast too ideal for mirroring my tablet when out and about.

@Seven_Point_Six_Five you should start the thread and call it something like Media Entertainment, Past, Present and Future.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five, welcome to the club, those are some excellent titles (both as films themselves and for picture/audio quality) for a 4K introduction, particularly the IMAX sequences. Still can't get over the quality in that opening plane escape in TDKR, or even the bank vault heist that opens TDK.

I’ll be starting TDKR later tonight. The IMAX scenes in TDK looked excellent, even just the random exterior aerial shots. It’s a shame more films don’t include their IMAX sequences in Blu-ray. I was so bummed when it was announced that the Batman v Superman Blu-ray wouldn’t include the IMAX aspect ratio. All that time and money put into shooting in IMAX that can only be appreciated for several short weeks in IMAX theaters. Such a waste.
    Last year I bought a new (2014 model) 1080p LED TV, and when I started watching my DVDs, the resolution was really poor because the TV was better than the one I had before. I didn't want to throw over my whole DVD library to Blue Rays, partly because I haven't won the lottery yet, though I'm not a teacher on sabbatical either. So I read about upgrading to a newer DVD player, an HDMI type, which has "video upscaling". My DVDs look great once again, crystal clear--problem solved.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Last year I bought a new (2014 model) 1080p LED TV, and when I started watching my DVDs, the resolution was really poor because the TV was better than the one I had before. I didn't want to throw over my whole DVD library to Blue Rays, partly because I haven't won the lottery yet, though I'm not a teacher on sabbatical either. So I read about upgrading to a newer DVD player, an HDMI type, which has "video upscaling". My DVDs look great once again, crystal clear--problem solved.

A Bluray player would upscale your DVDs even more, you can get good Bluray players for around £50 now.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,469
    Cool--thanks! I didn't know the two were compatible.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,518
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Cool--thanks! I didn't know the two were compatible.

Yeah you can play dvd's on HD ready Bluray Players and Full HD Bluray players, I have been watching The Saint colour series dvd with Sir Roger, the dvd's look great on my Bluray player and that's a show from 50 years ago.
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five you should start the thread and call it something like Media Entertainment, Past, Present and Future.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18620/home-entertainment-and-media-past-present-and-future
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    A Touch of Zen (1970) dir. King Hu - Eureka/Masters of Cinema. Dual Format. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the damn thing!
    Had to get a copy of The Devil’s Backbone after watching it, since I liked it so much. Got the Criterion edition (more expensive, but if I like the film enough I’ll usually go for it).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    91Dte%2BmMvEL._SL1500_.jpg
    81yfSEmRNWL._SL1500_.jpg
    A1NWzIroouL._SL1500_.jpg
    810cgQ1G-xL._SL1500_.jpg
    816%2BT-elweL._SL1500_.jpg
    Picked up the new Criterion blu-ray of The Silence of the Lambs. I cannot wait to see how much they've improved it, on top of all of the extras. I've heard amazing things, can only surmise Demme would've been proud of what they came up with, unless he managed to see some of their early work before he passed.
    71FnoT1ndxL._SY445_.jpg

Bargain of the week for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I think I can claim to be "in the know" somehow, having over 2,000 disks about two-thirds of which are Blu-ray by now. I watch them via an eight-year old (by now) Epson Full-HD projector (recently changed the bulb for the first time) on a screen with a diagonal of 4.2 meters (roughly 14", for those who don't understand the metric system).

Even at the cinema, I like to have seats that sort of immerse me in the movie. Which is contrary to most people wanting to sit far back, but then, I'm past the age of going to a theatre for having a couple of quiet hours with some crush of mine. So at our home theatre, we placed the seats (a fold-out sofa, by the way) so close to the screen as to just not see the individual dots of the image. Which means about 3.5 meters viewing distance.

All I can say is that I'm still totally thrilled by the sharpness of BDs, and I'm having serious problems to imagine it could be noticeably better in 4K (I also never developed any interest whatsoever in 3D). While I'm sort of a perfectionist in general, I especially see no reason to upgrade considering the costs. Older BDs are now cheaper than the DVDs I had bought in the first round (2002 - 2010), and I replaced the large majority of my favourite movies which I had on DVD (and a part of them, VHS before that) by the BD version...even quite a few I had never watched on DVD and which were still shrink-wrapped, since I lost the urge to see the "inferior" version.

My personal take is that I'll stick with BD, in 2D, for as long as the system is offered. While I'm buying far too many movies that I don't seem to manage to actually watch, I'm not ready to pay three or four times as much for a technically superior version I won't watch either. So Blu-ray is a compromise that satisfies me totally at this time.

@j_w_pepper, I could not agree more. I'm also insanely envious of the home theater you have, you lucky sonuvagun.

My stance on Blu-ray vs. 4K is the same. I've seen comparisons of both formats and when it gets down to it you're paying even more for 4K just to get some slightly better textures to the image in a higher resolution, which isn't enough for me, frankly. The jump from DVD to Blu-ray was much more dramatic and advised, as you were getting an insanely restored image, better sound for the audio and an altogether more well rounded picture that was like nothing you could've gotten with the DVD copy. It was a whole new world, basically, from standard to the dazzling land of HD possibility. The jump from Blu-ray to 4K is less of a whole new world and more a slightly nicer looking part of that new world that you can travel to if you wish, but I don't feel you'll miss anything if you stay where you're at. 4K currently doesn't demand you make the leap like Blu-ray did from DVD in its day.

Like you I am already astounded by how movies look in restored Blu-ray, speaking of my favorite classic films like Casablanca or even the 60s Bonds, that I'm more than happy sticking with Blu-ray for the foreseeable future. I also think that I'll respond to the market, as was the case with the jump from DVD to Blu-ray. About the time that Blu-rays became so ubiquitous and DVDs became sort of old fashioned collectibles, it was time to make the leap and the prices fluctuated to make Blu-rays advisable to pursue. Every format has its beginning years before it really takes hold of the market and necessitates a jump from the old to the new, and I think we're still in the early, early stages of 4K. 4K also demands a higher chunk of your wallet, meaning it will take even longer for it to take hold of the market as Blu-rays did with DVDs in much simpler times. And even still, all you're getting is a jump from nice HD to nicer HD. Not interested.

We also share a problem of picking up movies we don't watch for a long while, but with how many Blu-rays I see on the cheap these days I can't resist taking up those bargains. I've built up my collection by an insane percentage in just this last year because of the sales I've seen, and it's a nice place to be in. With 4K making its way on the stage, it's a good time to go back and pick up cheap Blu-rays we've missed. And there's still restored movies coming out on Blu-ray as we speak that make staying with the format extremely sensible. A double feature restoration of Robert Mitchum's Philip Marlowe films from the 70s just released this week that I'll be ordering very soon, and that was a long time coming to Blu-ray. Much to be excited about still as 4K only just debuts itself.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,694

My stance on Blu-ray vs. 4K is the same. I've seen comparisons of both formats and when it gets down to it you're paying even more for 4K just to get some slightly better textures to the image in a higher resolution, which isn't enough for me, frankly.
    Sony's DVD SUPERBIT collection was actually pretty awesome. It was pretty close to Blu Ray, but it suffered in that the entire disk had to be devoted to the film with no room for extras. My SUPERBIT Spider-Man needed no upgrading- it was only the subsequent three movie release that has me owning a Blu Ray of it. And know what? It's only a teeny bit better looking. These tweaks to the tech are now mainly double dips to promote profit. And in the end, I HAVE most of the movies I will ever own at this point. 40 year olds and under's mileage will vary. But I will not die with my movies depending on a server and the internet!!! I will put it on and WATCH it! Er, unless my player conks out... WHICH IS WHY I HAVE MORE THAN ONE!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @chrisisall, as with books, I also prefer to get physical copies of films that don't demand anything but me popping in a disk. Watching things through streaming has obvious complications, buffering and a weak connection, and that's beyond frustrating when you're in the mood to see a film that won't do anything but chug itself along.

The only area where I've had any digital purchases is in the video game market, and that's only when I see a super cheap deal I can't pass up. But it's a new thing for me, as I'm very much a tangible kind of buyer. This non-material digital world we're heading into can be scary.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This non-material digital world we're heading into can be scary.
    I've recently unearthed my comic books again- I'm living in a material world, and I am a material boy... (Madonna riff there).
    qWBinJq.jpg
    Df5N3AM.jpg?1
    193521_front.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I just ordered the Blu-ray for the film, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. What I must do next is get the soundtrack; it's incredible.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    193521_front.jpg

Masterful film.
    193521_front.jpg

Great movie I will get all Nolan's films in 4K at some point.