The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I need to do my yearly viewing of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soon. Never feels right to watch it outside winter when the snow isn't falling.

Get you a cat and roughly 14 cartons of cigarettes and you'll be set.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I need to do my yearly viewing of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soon. Never feels right to watch it outside winter when the snow isn't falling.

Get you a cat and roughly 14 cartons of cigarettes and you'll be set.
    Don't like either of those two things, but I will at least wait till night to view it and turn the lights down. Best I can do. I don't know any unexpectedly sexy goth chicks with a dark past I could invite over to watch with me either, which is a shame. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have never seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo picked it up for £2.50 which was a bargain, I have not watched many of Craig none Bond films thought it was time I started.
    I have never seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo picked it up for £2.50 which was a bargain, I have not watched many of Craig none Bond films thought it was time I started.

You've picked a great one, alongside Munich, Flashbacks of a Fool and Defiance.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

You've picked a great one, alongside Munich, Flashbacks of a Fool and Defiance.

Defiance funnily enough I was just thinking about, and I know you will think this is bad, despite having Munich on dvd for years I still have not watched it. I'll look for both on Bluray.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I think you'll like it. Great atmosphere, great mood, cast and everything else. Another solid Fincher psychological mystery alongside his equally great Se7en and Zodiac. They make a nice trilogy, a sort of cinematic anthology of crime with a focus on everymen overcoming the evils of seedy killers against very moody and haunting backdrops.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, you'll earn some more kudos in my book if you end up enjoying Munich! Let me know if you do pick it up on blu-ray and what your assessment is; blu-ray quality was beautiful, I really need to rewatch it soon.
    I need to rewatch Munich soon, as I don't think I minded it and I like seeing modern spy films that go the period piece route. It was @Creasy47 that motivated me to watch it in the first place, which should be of no surprise to our veteran members here who are aware of his passion for it. ;)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,530
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I think you'll like it. Great atmosphere, great mood, cast and everything else. Another solid Fincher psychological mystery alongside his equally great Se7en and Zodiac. They make a nice trilogy, a sort of cinematic anthology of crime with a focus on everymen overcoming the evils of seedy killers against very moody and haunting backdrops.

I am a big fan of Fincher and until you mentioned it I forgot he had directed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I have the films you mentioned also I rated Gone Girl that was quite engrossing. I like films set in Scandinavia or a bleak backdrop, I am guessing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is neo noir type of film.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, you'll earn some more kudos in my book if you end up enjoying Munich! Let me know if you do pick it up on blu-ray and what your assessment is; blu-ray quality was beautiful, I really need to rewatch it soon.

I have many of Spielbergs films though not so much of his more recent pictures, still not seen films like Lincoln, War Horse or Bridge of Spies. I'll see if I can find Munich now I have got night off though slept all day, it will give me something to do :)

Edited: @Creasy47 just found this for £9.99 looks a nice set...

51x0lYKaS4L.jpg
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,551
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, happy to have turned you onto it!! I've got quite the obsession with that movie.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, wow, I'd definitely go with that version, looks beautiful. I bought the generic amaray blu-ray when it came out for a good $20, would've loved to have a special edition with some art cards and a slipbox.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, happy to have turned you onto it!! I've got quite the obsession with that movie.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, wow, I'd definitely go with that version, looks beautiful. I bought the generic amaray blu-ray when it came out for a good $20, would've loved to have a special edition with some art cards and a slipbox.

Well it's £25 brand new, the one I ordered is second hand though says 'like new' which is a gamble. The seller has a 98 per cent rating, if immaculate it's a bargain saving myself £15.

Well it's £25 brand new, the one I ordered is second hand though says 'like new' which is a gamble. The seller has a 98 per cent rating, if immaculate it's a bargain saving myself £15.

I'd pull the trigger - definitely a steal if it comes with everything. Could check the fine print to see if it omits those art cards or even the slipbox.

I'd pull the trigger - definitely a steal if it comes with everything. Could check the fine print to see if it omits those art cards or even the slipbox.

It Says only watched once and advertised as complete set, if they are anything like me I would guess the Art Cards are sealed.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Dragon Tattoo definitely has noir touches, especially in its tone and overall cynicism. As the mystery develops you can just feel how unnerving the silence is, and even in scenes with just characters talking there is an unquestionable sort of divide forming. You never know who to trust.

The movie also follows the tradition of Poe and Doyle's detective stories, where bizarre, haunting and/or gruesome yarns are solved by a particularly bohemian and eccentric "detective" type with help from a more ordinary everyman like Watson. In this case Rooney Mara's character is the female bohemian and good old Danny boy is the everyman brought into it all. He's also a journalist, bringing him that much closer to a Waston like scribe transcribing the events of the unfolding mystery.

It Says only watched once and advertised as complete set, if they are anything like me I would guess the Art Cards are sealed.

Pull the trigger then, no doubt it'll just seem like it was opened once and never touched. What a steal, I really hope you love the film. If not, guess you'll just have to toss the extras my way!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Dragon Tattoo definitely has noir touches, especially in its tone and overall cynicism. As the mystery develops you can just feel how unnerving the silence is, and even in scenes with just characters talking there is an unquestionable sort of divide forming. You never know who to trust.

The movie also follows the tradition of Poe and Doyle's detective stories, where bizarre, haunting and/or gruesome yarns are solved by a particularly bohemian and eccentric "detective" type with help from a more ordinary everyman like Watson. In this case Rooney Mara's character is the female bohemian and good old Danny boy is the everyman brought into it all. He's also a journalist, bringing him that much closer to a Waston like scribe transcribing the events of the unfolding mystery.

I am aware the Noomi Rapace version exists though I know very little about the story, I'll probably be pleasantly surprised going in cold. Sounds good I am a fan of Conan Doyle type detective story's, I went through a period of not bothering with films which is good later on when you discover films you missed.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've yet to see the original Swedish language versions of the books, but I definitely mean too. Knowing your tastes and interests, though, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've yet to see the original Swedish language versions of the books, but I definitely mean too. Knowing your tastes and interests, though, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have got the day off today (Wednesday) I'll try and watch it this afternoon, I am certainly more eager to watch it, there is another film that I need to watch also called Wind River which looks interesting in the same sub genre.

I have got the day off today (Wednesday) I'll try and watch it this afternoon, I am certainly more eager to watch it, there is another film that I need to watch also called Wind River which looks interesting in the same sub genre.

Please let me know your thoughts on Wind River, as well, please! If you enjoy any of Taylor Sheridan's scripts - Sicario or Hell or High Water - then you'll love this, for which he both wrote the script and made his directorial debut on. He also wrote the sequel to Sicario debuting this summer, too.

Please let me know your thoughts on Wind River, as well, please! If you enjoy any of Taylor Sheridan's scripts - Sicario or Hell or High Water - then you'll love this, for which he both wrote the script and made his directorial debut on. He also wrote the sequel to Sicario debuting this summer, too.

Munich bought lol Spielberg rarely misses I am sure I'll like it.

I was going to rent Wind River is it worth buying?

I still have not seen Sicario though been watching a few UHD Blurays on ebay, looking to get a brand new copy at a lowish price.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,551
    I'd gladly rewatch Wind River, I'd suggest you watch the aforementioned two first to give you a good idea of what's in store plot and pacing wise. They're not the most action-packed films, but they're very tense and taut and all three have ridiculous cinematography. I think in terms of a blind buy, it'd be tough to go wrong with Wind River and Sicario, particularly the latter.
    Not familiar with Wind River, but it's added to the list. Love to see interesting twists on the noir genre. Cheers, @Creasy47 and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I also picked up Hell Or High Water just last week on the cheap, so I'll watch that to get an idea of what to expect from these kinds of scripts of Sheridan's in preparation. I also still need to see Sicario, now that I'm on the subject. I watch so much vintage stuff that I often forget what's being made in the here and now. I'm usually right not to see a lot of films made these days, but every once in a while some great and original films come along that show you craft still exists.
    I'm gonna have to buy The Disaster Artist too. Ugh; never enough money.
    @Creasy47 and @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I was looking for Hell or High Water it's free on Amazon Prime I'll give that a go first.

I tend to leave some of the newer films alone so I can get them cheaper later on, since the digital revolution in movies I tend to buy rather than rent, I hate renting a film I end up liking then pay extra to buy it after lol

@FoxRox it costs me a fortune visiting this site ;)) over time I have had some good films recommended I may not have otherwise watched.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I'm the same way. Hold off on films and watch old ones while I wait for new releases to drop in price. There's never a shortage of things to watch while you wait, after all, and we now live in an age where TV is exceeding film and that's a game changer. So much from so many sources to experience.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I'm the same way. Hold off on films and watch old ones while I wait for new releases to drop in price. There's never a shortage of things to watch while you wait, after all, and we now live in an age where TV is exceeding film and that's a game changer. So much from so many sources to experience.

True almost too much to watch, I barely scratch the surface with streaming content. I deleted my Netflix account yesterday again, I hope to catch up on films and TV on Amazon Prime which tend to have better movies.

I just watched the trailer for Hell or High Water the film looks good and great cast.

True almost too much to watch, I barely scratch the surface with streaming content. I deleted my Netflix account yesterday again, I hope to catch up on films and TV on Amazon Prime which tend to have better movies.

I just watched the trailer for Hell or High Water the film looks good and great cast.

It's a nice modern day western/heist thriller, of sorts. Solid chemistry between Pine and Foster, too, with a great appearance by Jeff Bridges. Hope you enjoy it!
    Made quite a shopping yesterday :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUk5qz_j7KpzxryFNypzVP4CazNawgHCs0iNCd77QlGCB73eZo

A masterpiece, that one ! I don't know why I haven't bought it sooner (or rather, i know too well : money troubles. Big ones).

387480011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=46012a3ebd7544a3f09e4050834d2428

To complete the set, even if it's better than the fourth movie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy-F43813U2515PEOznba7o1juAaHkyn4VcpQUnKKZoBSZ-O53HQ

Haven't seen it in theater, but I enjoyed Godzilla, so I thought why not ?

spider-man-homecoming-dvd-digital-ultraviolet-comic-book-1128862617_L.jpg

Haven't seen it either, but I'm a completist, so I knew I had to buy it sooner or later to complete my Marvel Universe Movies set.

And just received from Amazon :

1515154093340_50046.jpg

And watched it right away. Gorgeous !
    My movie splurge has begun, many of which are blind buys (I don’t usually do that): The Fly, Bonnie and Clyde, The Road to El Dorado, The Fog, Prisoners, Amadeus, Rumble Fish, and Raising Arizona.

Next month, I’ll likely be picking up: Coco, The Shape of Water, The Disaster Artist, and Lady Bird. Possibly more. Hoping to have some spare cash.

It's a nice modern day western/heist thriller, of sorts. Solid chemistry between Pine and Foster, too, with a great appearance by Jeff Bridges. Hope you enjoy it!

It does look good from trailer, been unwell last few days hopefully watch it at the weekend.

Just ordered...

81uUqQ8Q3uL._SX342_.jpg

510G16QM9YL._SX342_.jpg

Not the biggest fan of Tim Burtons take, bought it to complete the set so to speak.