The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    71cYvW3Vm9L._SX342_.jpg
    71cYvW3Vm9L._SX342_.jpg

Awesome. One of my favorite films.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    71cYvW3Vm9L._SX342_.jpg

I have it on dvd and recently started watching it on Netflix though did not complete it, just saw this version on ebay new for £5. I am a big Lynch fan so looking forward to the extras also.
    71cYvW3Vm9L._SX342_.jpg

I have it on dvd and recently started watching it on Netflix though did not complete it, just saw this version on ebay new for £5. I am a big Lynch fan so looking forward to the extras also.

I think it could be Lynch’s best. It’s my favorite of his. Also a fan of Eraserhead, The Straight Story, and The Elephant Man. Mulholland Drive is decent too. The others I can leave.
    71cYvW3Vm9L._SX342_.jpg

I think it could be Lynch’s best. It’s my favorite of his. Also a fan of Eraserhead, The Straight Story, and The Elephant Man. Mulholland Drive is decent too. The others I can leave.

I love Twin Peaks and Dune is a guilty pleasure for me, I like Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway. I need to watch Wild at Heart again it's been years since I watched that, and I have still not seen Inland Empire.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have only yet to see The Straight Story.
    I have only yet to see The Straight Story.

Still not seen The Straight Story either, just ordered Inland Empire a minute ago been waiting for a decent price drop, found a copy for £4.79 on Bluray.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    My first Shameless Screen Entertainment purchase; Dario Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet [blu-ray], all my other Argento's are Arrow Video releases, but Shameless have a 6 blu-rays for £6 each offer on…so I bought it. Just waiting for it to arrive now.
    Argento collection coming along nicely, just waiting for Arrow to release a standard version of their recent release of Cat o' Nine Tails then I'll have most of the good ones (think Shameless are also going to release a blu-ray of Opera).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,695
    My first Shameless Screen Entertainment purchase; Dario Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet [blu-ray],
    Heh, I actually snuck into that film when I was 12... not sure I'd like it as much today.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    Was out on errands for the dog today and came across the deep bargain barrel of blu-rays I check out every time I'm at the particular Wal-Mart I found myself at today. All are blind buys, but I'm fairly confident that I will enjoy at least 86% of these films.
    51ghcNsHW4L.jpg
    I've never heard of this movie before, but it looked interesting and I was curious to see what effects were being used in the film during the time in which it was made. It also seems to be a story about a young kid being a sort of "chosen one" counted upon to save the universe, which I can be a sucker for. This one made me think of @chrisisall.

51yF5ESG2sL._SX342_.jpg
    The front of this movie instantly made me think "Kevin Costner plays a quasi-Mad Max" and instantly picked it up out of sheer curiosity for the bizarreness of it. While coming upon this film I had already picked up at least a dozen copies of The Road Warrior as I was digging into the pile, which I took as a sign from the movie gods that I should buy this film. I was actually thinking about Costner's The Postman before finding this one, funnily enough, and I really want to see that one badly as it appears more up my alley than Waterworld. But I'll give it a shot.

49ee8d3a756495007a86403af97204bb6812e12a.jpg
    Never seen this one before and was hoping to find Hard Boiled instead, but it seemed interesting to me and I'm not one to pass up a creative darling of John Woo and Chow Yun-Fat.

ab0a7a22-d7cd-4e6a-a03a-6628f72056f2_1.5c71689442257777f069af06abba99e3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
    The theme of dystopian worlds continues with this pick, a movie I've wanted to see for a while. I like the director's style and Matt Damon is usually a pretty good judge of quality for me.

THE-HATEFUL-EIGHT-3D-Blu-ray-Cover-476x586.jpg
    No idea how I still haven't seen this, especially because of how much I like Django, but I wanted to wait until I found the blu-ray for it to get the best experience instead of seeing it on Netflix so that I could jump into the extra features after a viewing. It seems like an amazingly atmospheric film, and it's freaking Tarantino for Christ's sake.

cool-hand-luke-blu-ray.jpg
    Another classic that has been on my list forever. Adore Newman and have been meaning to get this blu-ray forever. That I found it today was a purchase a long time coming.

612a6Cqq7UL.jpg
    Another film I hear nothing but great things about, and that I should've seen as a kid as I'm sure it would've fueled my imagination like crazy. But at least I had Harry Potter for that. Really looking forward to digging into this boyhood adventure.

91PETkhwKUL._SX342_.jpg
    I've seen bits of this film, but never the full picture or anything that at all points to the larger mechanisms behind it (which is great, as I didn't want it spoiled). I like the atmosphere of it and the sort of neo-noir vibe it gives off, mixed with what seems like bits of horror or psychological drama, and I love the deservedly lauded team-ups of Scorsese and DiCaprio.

51610698?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg
    A really easy choice. I've heard a lot of great things about this film recently, including from people like @DaltonCraig007, so I look forward to seeing what it's about since it's been called a modern film made like a 70s film, one of my favorite decades when it comes to cinema. The cast is also an instant draw and I'm sure they deliver in spades.

ad6b26f988d80c8d45eca776dc4d4538.jpg
    A final classic to round out the purchases of the day, a film that I've long wanted to see and again wanted to wait for the blu-ray to do so. I look forward to seeing what this cultural landmark has to offer, and I wanted to digest this fully before I saw the new HBO show I've been meaning to talk with the likes of @Creasy47 about. Soon I'll finally be able to scratch both off my list.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    I own 3 of those films myself. The hateful 8 is a solid film, it starts off really slow and rather boring and I was almost going to turn it off then everything kind of clicks and it becomes amazing for the 2nd and 3rd acts so make sure you sit through the whole thing. Shutter Island is a masterpiece, watch it and tell us what you think. Hell or high water is a very entertaining and well made film.
    Good choices
  • I actually just rewatched the original Westworld. It's legit. A pretty fantastic achievement actually given that it was Michael Crichton's theatrical directorial debut, him having only directed one short TV film prior to this. It's Jurassic Park before there was Jurassic Park and Terminator before there was Terminator, and you can see where the Westworld show got a lot of its ideas from. Some thought-provoking material here. Yul Brynner is chilling, as is the ending of the film. Plus it's got 70s Christian Bale (known to some as James Brolin).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    I own 3 of those films myself. The hateful 8 is a solid film, it starts off really slow and rather boring and I was almost going to turn it off then everything kind of clicks and it becomes amazing for the 2nd and 3rd acts so make sure you sit through the whole thing. Shutter Island is a masterpiece, watch it and tell us what you think. Hell or high water is a very entertaining and well made film.
    Good choices

@JamesBondKenya, cheers.

I think there's 0% chance I don't love Hateful Eight. I love slow burns that take their time, so it's no issue for me and I appreciate movies that build to events instead of rushing towards them.

Shutter Island also looks really interesting, and that'll probably be one of the films I watch sooner rather than later as I like the feeling of it.

In the last year my blu-ray collection has jumped a good 40-50%, so I'll have to make a long list of the films I've yet to see and really get into them as I scratch them off. Like I do with books, I scoop up deals for these films for months before actually jumping into them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, can't wait for you to finally get around to HBO's Westworld. I have a feeling you'll not only enjoy it, but really have a lot to say about the various themes and plot points throughout, and I can't wait to dissect it with you like we did True Detective.

If you find the time in the next couple of months, you could even get caught up and catch season two once it airs in late April.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ad6b26f988d80c8d45eca776dc4d4538.jpg
    A final classic to round out the purchases of the day, a film that I've long wanted to see and again wanted to wait for the blu-ray to do so. I look forward to seeing what this cultural landmark has to offer, and I wanted to digest this fully before I saw the new HBO show I've been meaning to talk with the likes of @Creasy47 about. Soon I'll finally be able to scratch both off my list.
    Oh, this one's just pure fun all the way. And you'll see part of where Cameron got his idea for Terminator.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, can't wait for you to finally get around to HBO's Westworld. I have a feeling you'll not only enjoy it, but really have a lot to say about the various themes and plot points throughout, and I can't wait to dissect it with you like we did True Detective.

If you find the time in the next couple of months, you could even get caught up and catch season two once it airs in late April.
    @Creasy47, you know me well. I'll definitely try to catch the series in the next few months, but with so much other stuff I have to see, I can't make any promises. I may just wait until season two is available after airing, so that I can watch it at my leisure since I don't have HBO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    No worries, I konw that feeling - absolutely way too much to get through right now. And when I feel like I've caught up on all the movies I want to see, I realize just how many TV shows I've still yet to get around to, and vice versa. It never ends.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    916HyEFMllL._SL1500_.jpg
    919jUuc0VEL._SL1500_.jpg
    81z1y%2BQ0eoL._SL1500_.jpg
    cdr7583_1.jpg?width=450
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'll see that JCVD movie myself just for that girl on the cover. ;)
    Looks like I will be buying a fair amount of movies in the couple coming months, including: Coco, The Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Post, and possibly the Three Billboards film (still want to watch it first).
    Rumble fish
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Rumble fish

How is that one? Looks interesting.
    As soon as I have the time I am watching it, the kids and wife, teacher, are on a break so little time to watch anything.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    [cdr7583_1.jpg?width=450
    Kill 'em All
    Hard to Kill
    Kill Switch
    First Kill
    Wake of Death
    Until Death
    Sudden Death
    Death Warrant
    Marked for Death
    Half Past Dead
    Today You Die
    Contract to Kill
    Kill of Death
    Today You Kill
    Kill Kill
    Hard to Death
    Kill 'em Death
    Marked for Kill
    Death Death
    Contract to Death
    Half Kill Dead
    Die Die
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    [cdr7583_1.jpg?width=450
    Kill 'em All
    Hard to Kill
    Kill Switch
    First Kill
    Wake of Death
    Until Death
    Sudden Death
    Death Warrant
    Marked for Death
    Half Past Dead
    Today You Die
    Contract to Kill
    Kill of Death
    Today You Kill
    Kill Kill
    Hard to Death
    Kill 'em Death
    Marked for Kill
    Death Death
    Contract to Death
    Half Kill Dead
    Die Die
    Pretty much! =))
    @FoxRox, we watched Rumble Fish recently for the MI6 film club and it was a nice hit with most of us, and I definitely enjoyed it. A surreal and mind-bending film that blurs the lines between reality and a certain otherwordliness. I compared it to how George Miller managed the same crazy kind of blend with his Mad Max films: basically, you're seeing a world that looks like ours, but there's something off kilter about it. I really liked the atmosphere and style of Rumble Fish and it has powerful messages. Knowing what you like, I think you'd enjoy it. I think it's also a very refreshing part of Coppola's catalogue, as it's vastly different from the war film, thrillers and mob films he's most widely known for crafting. It proves he could tackle all kinds of tones or genres of filmmaking while putting his own stamp on them.
    Interesting. I am a big fan of Dennis Hopper too.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    @FoxRox, Hopper is brilliant in it, as are the then young cast of future stars like Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Nic Cage and the utterly captivating Diane Lane at just 18 years old! It's a very fine film, but also amazing to see what the cast went on to do after their debuts in it. Definitely a film to be appreciated on many levels for film fans who enjoy seeing the development of performers over time and where they started out in the business.
    716RQx0IyvL._SL1500_.jpg

91NsRx%2BBTzL._SX342_.jpg

52897651_Alt01?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

815R5vREC-L._SL1500_.jpg
    I need to do my yearly viewing of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soon. Never feels right to watch it outside winter when the snow isn't falling.