No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, and that doesn't even seem to be what most of us fans want now, as it seems a lot of members on here are tired of the endless Aston Martin DB5 appearance.

I certainly am. It's in practically every film now and has long lost it's novelty.
    I preferred when each Bond actor had his own vehicle: the Lotus for Roger, the BMW for Pierce (even though that idea was pretty much blown).
    As for it appearing in chase sequences, I'll take the Citroen chase over the Aston Martin chases in QOS and especially SP any day.
  • //The reboot was not needed from the point of view of the audience, but it was needed for Babs (that's why she got someone like Craig to play Bond). It does not shock me to hear that they are thinking of selling the franchise after Craig leaves, since they don't really the same motivation to tell ordinary Bond stories. //

Go back to The New York Times, Oct. 15, 2005.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/15/movies/MoviesFeatures/bond-franchise-is-shaken-and-stirred.html

Excerpt:
    "We are running out of energy, mental energy," Mr. Wilson recalled saying. "We need to generate something new, for ourselves."

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Interesting read. Well their stamp is now all over the series.

Curious to see where they take it from here. It looks like they've decided to kick the can down the road for one more, and then it might get stressful for them again.

It's quite clear that Pascal had quite a bit of involvement with Craig's casting. I hope the next studio has input for the future film as well. A balance of viewpoints is required.

She's wrong though. Craig isn't as tall as Connery. Not by a long shot.
    //The reboot was not needed from the point of view of the audience, but it was needed for Babs (that's why she got someone like Craig to play Bond). It does not shock me to hear that they are thinking of selling the franchise after Craig leaves, since they don't really the same motivation to tell ordinary Bond stories. //

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/15/movies/MoviesFeatures/bond-franchise-is-shaken-and-stirred.html

Excerpt:
    "We are running out of energy, mental energy," Mr. Wilson recalled saying. "We need to generate something new, for ourselves."

So has it actually been confirmed Barbara and Michael are considering selling after B25?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    //The reboot was not needed from the point of view of the audience, but it was needed for Babs (that's why she got someone like Craig to play Bond). It does not shock me to hear that they are thinking of selling the franchise after Craig leaves, since they don't really the same motivation to tell ordinary Bond stories. //

Excerpt:

So has it actually been confirmed Barbara and Michael are considering selling after B25?

No...nothing yet.

@ToTheRight, there is no indication that they are selling at this point.

My personal view though is that one day they will, if the price is right and once they feel like they've done what they can with the character.

Excerpt:

This from the time in the article sounds like a number of people on here now

'Bond fans quickly reminded the producers on Friday just how risky their decision to shift direction might be, and that "dark" and "hip" were far from what they imagined as the shaken-not-stirred polish of the James Bond character.'
    Dennison wrote: »

Excerpt:

This from the time in the article sounds like a number of people on here now

'Bond fans quickly reminded the producers on Friday just how risky their decision to shift direction might be, and that "dark" and "hip" were far from what they imagined as the shaken-not-stirred polish of the James Bond character.'
    That's true actually. We are at that moment again, where some want a dramatic change of direction and others are more content with status quo.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Excerpt:

No...nothing yet.

Good.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, there is no indication that they are selling at this point.

My personal view though is that one day they will, if the price is right and once they feel like they've done what they can with the character.

I've been feeling that could be as well considering the long gaps between films and general feeling after each one is weariness. I do hope Eon gets their second wind soon and can plan for the series' future. Right now it seems they are milking one more for the Craig era rather than moving forward.
    I've been feeling that could be as well considering the long gaps between films and general feeling after each one is weariness. I do hope Eon gets their second wind soon and can plan for the series' future. Right now it seems they are milking one more for the Craig era rather than moving forward.
    NSNA proves Bond can survive EON so I have no concerns with a future sale if they want to do it at some point. The trick will be finding the right caretaker, who will treat the series with the respect and deference that it deserves.

Having said that, new blood (whether it be actor, studio or writers) always brings new energy & ideas as well. When Sony took over in 2006, one could feel the new energy.
    NSNA proves Bond can survive EON so I have no concerns with a future sale if they want to do it at some point. The trick will be finding the right caretaker, who will treat the series with the respect and deference that it deserves.

Having said that, new blood (whether it be actor, studio or writers) always brings new energy & ideas as well. When Sony took over in 2006, one could feel the new energy.

NSNA is a terrible film.
    The right caretaker is definitely important. I do feel in the wrong hands a we could end up with a Bond series that discards so many elements in Bond that are beloved just for the sake of being different.
    The right caretaker is definitely important. I do feel in the wrong hands a we could end up with a Bond series that discards so many elements in Bond that are beloved just for the sake of being different.
    There's always that risk of course.

NSNA is a terrible film.
    That does seem to be the prevailing opinion, perhaps unsurprisingly, among 'Bond' fans. The fact remains it was reasonably successful (far more than many EON produced entries).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    NSNA is a terrible film.
    That does seem to be the prevailing opinion, perhaps unsurprisingly, among 'Bond' fans. The fact remains it was reasonably successful (far more than many EON produced entries).
    +1

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

NSNA is a terrible film.

And it's a considerable improvement over TB.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339

NSNA is a terrible film.

It's not fit to lick TB's boots !!

NSNA is a terrible film.

Hear, hear!

NSNA is a terrible film.

Agreed. Don’t care much for NSNA at all, while I love TB.

Speaking of which, good to see a lot of TB love from the Community lately.
    FoxRox wrote: »

NSNA is a terrible film.

Lots of love from me,it's sitting pretty at #5 in my rankings !
    It jumped into my Top 10 for the first time ever with my latest Bondathon and is at #9. I don’t think it will go higher, but for me anything in my Top 12 is a very beloved Bond film.
    Firm #2 behind the near perfect FRWL for me.

My whole point though was that NSNA proves Bond can survive EON. Babs and Michael have pretty much admitted that themselves (not about NSNA, but that Bond will live beyond them).
    If a non- Eon Bond series similar to what resulted in NSNA occurred, I might be alright with it. To me it feels more like classic Eon than QOS.

I still think there might be many producers out there with the need to re-invent Bond to suit their own agenda. Perhaps change 007's occupation from a British Secret Service MI6 double O agent to a Chicago based vascular surgeon? Sounds like I'm being facetious, but in the new re-boot of DEATH WISH Paul Kersey is now a doctor rather than architect. Of course Paul Kersey is nowhere near the icon that Bond is, and it's a silly comparison, but there are countless media articles addressing Bond as out-dated, or in need of change.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,127
    Has anyone noticed how the rumours have become less frequent in recent months? Summer 2016 seemed to be a hive of activity, with new headlines every couple days regarding Bond 25, and now there appears to be very little. I know most rumours don't amount to much anyway (like who will sing the title song etc.), but it still felt like there was more going on. For some reason even the newspapers seem to have lost interest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Has anyone noticed how the rumours have become less frequent in recent months? Summer 2016 seemed to be a hive of activity, with new headlines every couple days regarding Bond 25, and now there appears to be very little. I know most rumours don't amount to much anyway (like who will sing the title song etc.), but it still felt like there was more going on. For some reason even the newspapers seem to have lost interest.

People can only speculate on so many things before they've run out of clickbait and juicy gossip, I suppose. I'm sure they'll fire up yet again whenever we get our next bit of concrete news.

It's the calm before the storm.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,164
    Fox has now dated Kenneth Branagh's DEATH ON THE NILE for November 8, 2018. Count them out of the overseas distribution running, I guess...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

NSNA is a terrible film.

TB is solidly in my Top 4. I just watched it again the other day, and what puts that film so far up my rankings is the post-sex capture of Bond by Fiona. It is evident that the encounter between foes ended up being much more than that, and that under different circumstances, they may have had something. But the situation was what it was. And when Bond says what he did was out of service to his country, we can see he regrets saying it and that Fiona is very hurt. Here we have two cold-hearted killers who have just enjoyed each other, tenderly, and they now know they are about to do terrible things to each other. PHENOMENAL!!!!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    TripAces wrote: »

NSNA is a terrible film.

TB is solidly in my Top 4. I just watched it again the other day, and what puts that film so far up my rankings is the post-sex capture of Bond by Fiona. It is evident that the encounter between foes ended up being much more than that, and that under different circumstances, they may have had something. But the situation was what it was. And when Bond says what he did was out of service to his country, we can see he regrets saying it and that Fiona is very hurt. Here we have two cold-hearted killers who have just enjoyed each other, tenderly, and they now know they are about to do terrible things to each other. PHENOMENAL!!!!!
    +1. I couldn't have said it any better.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Agreed as well. It's my favorite Connery. That scene certainly is one of the reasons. Also i love the way he says "you can't win them all", that sincere regret.
    And how he invites the thugs to come in. A confident bastard until the end. :D