No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 163
    I know many of you will probably laugh, but I think Kenneth Branagh or even David Yates could make a very classy, elegant, British Bond film at this point

edit: if given a good script
    I know many of you will probably laugh, but I think Kenneth Branagh or even David Yates could make a very classy, elegant, British Bond film at this point

And Branagh directing himself too?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883

I won't laugh. Branagh could be a decent director with the right script. I'm not familiar with Yates
    antovolk wrote: »
    Why are people so sure it is down to Yawn Blancmange and David McKenzie now? I don t know their work, so have no opinion about them.

Because Villeneuve said in so many BR2049 interviews that he can't do B25 because of Dune, and they were the other two names in contention per trade reports.
    Precisely. The only other name that has been mentioned in the past year is Chris Nolan, from another source. He's the only one who got IMdb credit for a time as well. Mackenzie and Demange (particularly Yann) were names that got traction prior to Craig committing when the reboot discussion was afoot. Villeneuve started to become more of a front runner once Craig said he would be back and prior to BR2049's release.

It's interesting that no other names have been leaked (and that's what this has been - leaks). Demange, Mackenzie and Nolan have been hush about it to my knowledge while Villleneuve has spoken about it. Make of that what you will.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Oooh, David Yates is a interesting one.
  • Dennison wrote: »

And Branagh directing himself too?

Well I only meant as a director
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Branagh would be a nice fit for director and villain.
    Ha, I’m sure there are actors who would say, ‘ what’s the difference ‘?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Branagh" sounds like someone vomiting.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Branagh would be a nice fit for director and villain.
    Ha, I’m sure there are actors who would say, ‘ what’s the difference ‘?

Branagh looks enough like Waltz that he could take over as Blofeld if need be.
    Branagh has no lips. I always find him so off-putting to watch on screen, as my eye is always instantly drawn to his lack of a proper mouth. By the way, he looks nothing like Waltz.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,756
    I really hope it isn't Yawn Dewhat or David Whatever.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I really hope it isn't Yawn or David Whatever.
    Both are very underwhelming choices.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I really hope it isn't Yawn Dewhat or David Whatever.
    Witty. And on point.
    Brannagh is a classy choice. His recent Murder On The Orient Express was beautiful to look at. And, as he's a great actor, he could direct himself too.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Lmao that was good.
    echo wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.

@FoxRox The character is the character. If anything, a black actor might get the part, eventually. Who knows. But that's it.

IMHO, the discussion about a female Bond isn't a serious one. It's more an exercise in"what if," which can be fun, but it's not realistic. It's more "alternate universe" stuff.

I wrote a column a few months back in which I asked, "Could an American play James Bond?" which is a little more realistic, but it still was not a serious question. It's an exercise, a springboard for discussing which American actors have that Bond thing going. (I believe Chris Pine was my top choice.)

In any case, I enjoy the female Bond discussion, as an exercise and as a cultural study. The fact that so many people are asking the question is terrific, because it really demonstrates the social and cultural significance of james Bond. Notice, they weren't asking, "Could there be a female Jason Bourne?"

Barbara Broccoli was very smart in how she responded to the question of a female Bond because she wanted to keep that discussion going. It's good for the franchise.

Gillian Anderson does a good British accent. She'd be a good 008.

This is simply beyond stupid. I'm sorry, but how many women do you know called James? There is honestly zero chance of it ever happening. A female 00 agent. Yes. Most definitely. James Bond isn't some body changing alien like Doctor Who. How on earth would this ever make sense? I'm all for equality, and I know James Bond is a fictional character, but this would be a franchise killer . Nope. Would never happen. If the tabloid press want to play silly games (isn't that all they do?), let them.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.

@FoxRox The character is the character. If anything, a black actor might get the part, eventually. Who knows. But that's it.

IMHO, the discussion about a female Bond isn't a serious one. It's more an exercise in"what if," which can be fun, but it's not realistic. It's more "alternate universe" stuff.

I wrote a column a few months back in which I asked, "Could an American play James Bond?" which is a little more realistic, but it still was not a serious question. It's an exercise, a springboard for discussing which American actors have that Bond thing going. (I believe Chris Pine was my top choice.)

In any case, I enjoy the female Bond discussion, as an exercise and as a cultural study. The fact that so many people are asking the question is terrific, because it really demonstrates the social and cultural significance of james Bond. Notice, they weren't asking, "Could there be a female Jason Bourne?"

Barbara Broccoli was very smart in how she responded to the question of a female Bond because she wanted to keep that discussion going. It's good for the franchise.

This is simply beyond stupid. I'm sorry, but how many women do you know called James? There is honestly zero chance of it ever happening. A female 00 agent. Yes. Most definitely. James Bond isn't some body changing alien like Doctor Who. How on earth would this ever make sense? I'm all for equality, and I know James Bond is a fictional character, but this would be a franchise killer . Nope. Would never happen. If the tabloid press want to play silly games (isn't that all they do?), let them.
    He didn't suggest Gillian Anderson for Bond, though.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    WRONG THREAD.
    SonofSean wrote: »

He said she would make a good 008.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2018 Posts: 45,489
    barryt007 wrote: »
    WRONG THREAD.

That doesn t stop anyone here.
    WRONG THREAD.
    Stop touching the wrong thread! Put your hand down!
    WRONG THREAD.

Good point !

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Female OO or female spy from another organization (CIA?) is possible in the next one, just on account of politics. I wouldn't be surprised if EON take a page out of MI-RN's playbook (which in turn pulled it from TSWLM).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Female 00 or female spy from another organization (CIA?) is possible in the next one, just on account of politics. I wouldn't be surprised if EON take a page out of MI-RN's playbook (which in turn pulled it from TSWLM).
    It was done a lot in the sixties, including in Danger Man and an example I could bring from EuroSpy films, Kiss The Girls And Make Them Die as well as Agent 077: From Orient With Fury.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Female 00 or female spy from another organization (CIA?) is possible in the next one, just on account of politics. I wouldn't be surprised if EON take a page out of MI-RN's playbook (which in turn pulled it from TSWLM).
    It was done a lot in the sixties, including in Danger Man and an example I could bring from EuroSpy films, Kiss The Girls And Make Them Die as well as Agent 077: From Orient With Fury.
    Which is why I think the time is ripe for it again. That was a time of female liberation. We are certainly in the throes of that sort of thing again. Letting it all hang out as it were. Girl power and all that jazz.
    Yes it was popular for the sexy female agent in the 60's. The difference is there wasn't college professors who would stand around and talk about how progressive it was. People just said "ok" and moved on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Oooh, David Yates is a interesting one.

Haha no. Just no. One he's not even that good a director and is byvfarctge weakest of the Harry Potter directors and two, he's regrettably tied up with the fantastic beasts films.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,586
    Gavin Hood would be a great choice, provided he has a great script to work with.
    As long as Branagh doesn't act like someone vomiting.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Just read a Reddit post from an insider I dont think was posted here yet, its a few months old

https://reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/6vti3w/new_bond_25_details_revealed_director_hired/

It's the same insider who since then has posted this: https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/7i6v6x/christopher_nolan_for_bond_25/