No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I went back and watched the interview Craig did with Colbert. Craig seemed very enthusiastic to be back, so that’s a plus. Someone suggest EON is further along than they have let on, and I think there’s a good possibility that that’s true. Given the low bar, I think they can give Craig the best exit film of the long-running Bonds (Connery, Moore, and Brosnan being the others). But a lot of that will depend on the script.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Mendes was perfect for skyfall but wrong for spectre. Even with a messy script they could have made improvements on the action & hired a director more suited towards that
    That is true. Mendes is not an action man. Far from it. However, given rumours that they are going for an action-lite entry next time out, Mendes could work very well.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Me 30 seconds ago: "120+ new comments since yesterday. Great! It seems we have some big news!".
    Me now: =((
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mendes was perfect for skyfall but wrong for spectre. Even with a messy script they could have made improvements on the action & hired a director more suited towards that
    That is true. Mendes is not an action man. Far from it. However, given rumours that they are going for an action-lite entry next time out, Mendes could work very well.

Where did the action-lite rumor come from?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    FoxRox wrote: »

Right after Craig announced his return there were articles which suggested a far less action oriented entry than before, to accommodate his age and to prevent future injuries. It makes sense to me. He's no spring chicken and anyone expecting to see him running around like he did in CR/QoS is going to be sadly disappointed.
    nikos78 wrote: »
    Again, a logical conundrum presents itself. If it's Warner why did they move WW up in the US to directly compete with Bond? Having said that, both Villeneueve and Nolan suggest Warner. However, they are stuck in limbo given the lawsuit launched by the US Govt to block the AT&T takeover. It's unlikely that any new deals of this magnitude can be approved while the deal is being reviewed.

Right after Craig announced his return there were articles which suggested a far less action oriented entry than before, to accommodate his age and to prevent future injuries. It makes sense to me. He's no spring chicken and anyone expecting to see him running around like he did in CR/QoS is going to be sadly disappointed.

It would make sense. And it also may be a wiser direction for it to focus more on story than action - sort of like DN and FRWL perhaps? I’d accept that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Me 30 seconds ago: "120+ new comments since yesterday. Great! It seems we have some big news!".

Surely over 1,200 pages in, this can't be a surprise anymore.
    Sorry; I'm to blame for a lot of it. Just doing a lot of speculation in this down time and considering what they might be up to. When all else fails, the optimistic route is that each day we get through, the closer we are to more news, even if it feels like it's taking forever!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was going to say the same thing. Fool me once and all that jazz.

What real news have we received? Same writing team and same actor. I wouldn't be surprised if the next announcement is for the same director to be honest. Four years of nothing.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was going to say the same thing. Fool me once and all that jazz.

What real news have we received? Same writing team and same actor. I wouldn't be surprised if the next announcement is for the same director to be honest. Four years of nothing.

I'd say the "biggest" news we've had so far is the distributor shortlists, the director shortlists (who knows how viable and accurate either is at this point), the official release date, and Craig's return.

At least we're growing accustomed to these ridiculous waits, because the next one will entail the search for a new actor, so it'll probably be another three years we have to wait at the absolute minimum.
    This type of wait would be more bearable if it were the start of the next era. It’s dumb we had to endure two 4-year waits in the Craig era.
    This type of wait would be more bearable if it were the start of the next era. It’s dumb we had to endure two 4-year waits in the Craig era.

True. I'm not a fan of it, either; hell, I wasn't remotely crazy about the extended wait (which some argue, so I guess I could be wrong about it) of an extra year for Mendes to be available for SP. There's still absolutely no reason whatsoever these films require three years in between each release; there are countless other franchises and sequels out there at the same budgetary level that are launched out consistently without requiring four years.
  • Perhaps I might have an explanation why Mendes dropped out of directing Pinocchio. He and his wife have just had a baby:
    https://www.vogue.com/article/anna-wintour-cate-blanchett-zendaya-evening-standard-theatre-awards-2017

I pretty much doubt that alongside with looking after the newborn and his theatre commitments that he'll do Bond 25.

Do we agree that this rules out Mendes?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think so. Mozzles on the baby. ;)
    23388-26825.jpg
    Nolan confirmed

Not really but that does make Mendes a less likely candidate. Wouldn’t surprise me if he stays low for a while.
  • I say Nolan takes the reins and brings back all of the actors from SP. The film picks up during the torture sequence where we find what we thought was the conclusion of SP was really all in Bond's head, a mental technique to pull himself out of the pain and punishment of the torture. And then Nolan takes us on an adventure that gives Waltz an opportunity to shine as Oberhauser, a man who works for a shadowy boss named Blofeld ... the story can proceed in a much better way ... Q can feed his cats ... and Bond can finally be more, um, Bondian.
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I say Nolan takes the reins and brings back all of the actors from SP. The film picks up during the torture sequence where we find what we thought was the conclusion of SP was really all in Bond's head, a mental technique to pull himself out of the pain and punishment of the torture. And then Nolan takes us on an adventure that gives Waltz an opportunity to shine as Oberhauser, a man who works for a shadowy boss named Blofeld ... the story can proceed in a much better way ... Q can feed his cats ... and Bond can finally be more, um, Bondian.
    Conceptually I like the idea, but I think it could be too much of a narrative stretch to assume the audience would buy that Bond contemplated such an abysmal & pathetic ending as a technique to avoid the physical pain of torture, unless his ultimate objective was suicide by forcing the heart to stop from shock, a'la Brozza in DAD.
    Seems like too much of a cop-out still.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think so. Mozzles on the baby. ;)
    23388-26825.jpg
    =)) Oh man, Captain Murdock always manages to make my day. Funny lad. =))
    I won’t be a happy camper if that dumb Solo movie delays Bond 25. Four years is long enough.

Especially if there's an announcement that the film is delayed to 2022 to coincide with the 60th anniversary. Then we can spend the next four years adding pages to this thread speculating on whether Daniel will keep his word and still stay on as Bond.

Seems to me that pre-production is set for March. I'm happy with that. Had we been on a 2 year cycle with a film currently in theaters, then springtime would most likely be the point in which the elements would begin to come together for another film in November 2019.
    If it is Nolan, I hope he casts Branagh in a big role. He worked with him on Dunkirk.

Much as I love him, I would rather not see Michael Caine, and especially not crying.

Marion Cotillard I can definitely live with.

I'm sure the bets on Hardy as villain will shoot up now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I heard Craig isn't on good terms with Hardy.
    I can see Hardy as a Scaramanga type out to get Bond. A final showdown between those two could be one for the ages.
    I’d love to see Marion Cotillard as a Bond girl.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,730
    +1
    Though she kind of is just a mix between Eva green and lea Seydoux
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,115
    //Of course thre’s no way for me to validate this but I think the particulars of Bond 25, including script and director, are much further along than anyone outside of EON knows; the signing of Craig points to this. I don’t think he would have committed based on a promise of quality.//

To a degree sure but....remember all the prediction *in this very (long, long) thread** they'd be announcing director, distributor, etc. on International James Bond Day? When the only thing that got announced was a one-day, 10 percent sale on 007 T-shirts? International James Bond Day was more than two months ago.

There has been this persistent hope that everything is just ready to go at a moment's notice. I suppose if you keep saying it, it will eventfully be proven true. (Sort of like saying, "In the long run, everybody dies.")

Now, there has certainly been enough time for Purvis and Wade to have done at least a first draft of the script. Bamigboye reported their hiring *more than nine months ago*. Villeneuve's Dune project had a first-draft script done for a while. He said so during that podcast interview that go so much attention. Herbert's family confirmed a first-draft script had been completed.

It would only be interesting to see (not that anyone is going to tell us) how Eon is splitting its time between The Rhythm Section, now in production, and Bond 25.
    +1
    Though she kind of is just a mix between Eva green and lea Seydoux

And there is nothing wrong with that. Wonderful hybrid for looks! I also hope Emma Stone is a Bond girl. She seems right for it.

• bondjames wrote: »
    I can see Hardy as a Scaramanga type out to get Bond. A final showdown between those two could be one for the ages.

Oh man, wouldn't that hit the spot.