No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    FoxRox wrote: »
    From the candidates I have seen he’s my top pick to play Bond.

Good man!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    For the life of me, I couldn't get through BBC's recent adaptation of And Then There Were None. But, Aidan Turner, Toby Stephens and Charles Dance were the only decent things in it. That tells me something.
    We will probably be stuck in another 3-5 year wait for Bond 26 because of all the new people that will be involved. P+W will likely be done after Craig’s last I have a feeling. If Nolan does direct Bond 25, he will probably rewrite everything anyway. It sucks that we have to go through super long waits for Bond movies now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The next actor needs to be suave, stylish, and yes have that natural cheek. It's essential after Craig. The only concern I have is that Babs will feel the need to walk us even further away from that persona in order to appease her values (they are her values as much as they are the times...let's not kid ourselves).
    We will probably be stuck in another 3-5 year wait for Bond 26 because of all the new people that will be involved. P+W will likely be done after Craig’s last I have a feeling. If Nolan does direct Bond 25, he will probably rewrite everything anyway. It sucks that we have to go through super long waits for Bond movies now.

I think they want to time it so they will have a Bond film out when the franchise turns 60. That means there will be a 3 year gap between 25 and 26. It's funny, but it might actually be the case that the hunt for a new Bond and a new direction takes less time than the negotiations between Craig (and Mendes) and EON on each film. He sure knows how to play hardball.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    For the life of me, I couldn't get through BBC's recent adaptation of And Then There Were None. But, Aidan Turner, Toby Stephens and Charles Dance were the only decent things in it. That tells me something.

Shocking! I found it riveting.
    I think the series could be done at EON with Craig finishing, with the changing times being one of the reasons. My guess is things get VERY different from Bond 26 onwards - and not in all the best ways.
    Minion wrote: »

Shocking! I found it riveting.
    Some elements were radically changed it and some details really bothered me. All to appease the PC audience. "Ten Little Soldier Boys"? Really?

And the lesser said from the pompous acting of some others in it, the better.

Give me the 1965 and 1974 film adaptations over this any day.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,400
    The same guy who has scooped a few times on Reddit in the past is saying that Nolan is in the mix for Bond 25 or 26:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/7i6v6x/christopher_nolan_for_bond_25/

Also it brings up the old rumour of EON selling the franchise...

If we do get Chris Nolan, can we have Tom Hardy please?
    tomhardy-jamesbond-christophernolan-225177-1280x0.png
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,269
    RIP EON Bond :(
    How can Nolan be in the mix for Bond 26 already? That seems too soon for me. We don't even have a title for B25 yet.
    The same guy who has scooped a few times on Reddit in the past is saying that Nolan is in the mix for Bond 25 or 26:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/7i6v6x/christopher_nolan_for_bond_25/

Also it brings up the old rumour of EON selling the franchise...

If we do get Chris Nolan, can we have Tom Hardy please?
    tomhardy-jamesbond-christophernolan-225177-1280x0.png
    This seems credible to me. I can see Nolan transitioning in if Broccoli is looking to eventually sell out to Warner. Somewhat like he did with Superman (production duties rather than directorial - so set the vision Fincher style).

This is actually what I assumed. Things are still up in the air and can go in any direction.

I am now excited about the prospects for B25.
    Perhaps Nolan will contribute to the writing of Bond 25, then completey helm Bond 26? After reading this reddit post I am especially hungry for news.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Unless there are competing visions on the table dependent/conditional on distributor signoff. Then it would make sense why we've had these different rumours out there.
    As per my earlier post, this is what I think is going on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    One of the problems is, the Bond movies going forward are suffering from an identity crisis. The films simply dont know what it wants to be. Bond used to be innovative, shocking and unashamed because back in the old days there was a lot more clarity on what these films were and wanted to be. In the last 20 odd years only GE and CR walked that fine line of giving us a great Bond escapism adventure that recalls the golden era while also being a perfect fit for modern times.

EoN and partners need to decide what these films need to be. I'm still amazed at the uproar caused when Bond walked into the shower to join Sevarine in SF...crikey! Utterly ridiculous.

Bond doesn't need to be family entertainment like the Disney output dominating the landscape. Bond is a freakin institution for crying out loud. Stick to the essence of the source mateial, be true to the character and the world he inhabits, keep the budget modest and tge story/script focused and entertaining and it'll make no less than $750million world wide at the BO and respect to the character and franchise that started it all can be restored.

However, if the aim is to make these films with a view of making North of $800Million then we've already lost and Bind is no longer Bond but a neutered has-been that might as well be put out to pasture. If you're going to do something do it right! Bond isn't hard to do if there's focus and a vocal minority can be ignored and sooner forgotten.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    One of the problems is, the Bond movies going forward are suffering from an identity crisis. The films simply dont know what it wants to be. Bond used to be innovative, shocking and unashamed because back in the old days there was a lot more clarity on what these films were and wanted to be. In the last 20 odd years only GE and CR walked that fine line of giving us a great Bond escapism adventure that recalls the golden era while also being a perfect fit for modern times.

EoN and partners need to decide what these films need to be. I'm still amazed at the uproar caused when Bond walked into the shower to join Sevarine in SF...crikey! Utterly ridiculous.

Bond doesn't need to be family entertainment like the Disney output dominating the landscape. Bond is a freakin institution for crying out loud. Stick to the essence of the source mateial, be true to the character and the world he inhabits, keep the budget modest and tge story/script focused and entertaining and it'll make no less than $750million world wide at the BO and respect to the character and franchise that started it all can be restored.

However, if the aim is to make these films with a view of making North of $800Million then we've already lost and Bind is no longer Bond but a neutered has-been that might as well be put out to pasture. If you're going to do something do it right! Bond isn't hard to do if there's focus and a vocal minority can be ignored and sooner forgotten.
    +1. Stellar post!
    My guess is the reason for deciding between tossing out P+W's script or not has to do with whether or not they think Nolan's idea can work for Daniel Craig and where his Bond is at. I don't normally put a lot of stock in random rumors but that post seemed to be pretty believable.
    I'm not sure Hardy will be young enough. He could have done it if Craig wasn't back for another.
    One thing is for sure. They aren't ready to go with Demange, even though that's the default position in case all fails. In my view, that's possibly a good thing, but could also be bad. Demange may have played within the box.

Nolan bringing in some new idea sounds very interesting, especially if it will affect multiple films. A new template.

I hope Hardy doesn't get it, but if it means Nolan, I'll take it.
    Right now, I'm most interested to see if his ideas will affect Bond 25 and how Craig's story is going to get finished. Said P+W have a script meant to be Craig's farewell, but who knows what Nolan could bring to the table. I want Craig to have an awesome last film as much as a great start for the next Bond actor in Bond 26.
    Aidan Turner would be a HORRIBLE Bond, and don't care (and don't know) how good his acting is, he simply doesn't have a British look. And by "British look", I don't necessarily mean a white person, as I believe Idris Elba does have a "British look".

Give me Nicholas Hoult or DUNKIRK's Jack Lowden, and I will be happy.
    Not a fan of Hoult at all, but I had mentioned Lowden on the Bond Actor thread. He's young, but I see something in him.
    A Christopher Nolan Bond trilogy with Tom Hardy? That would certainly be ambitious.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,269
    I'm going to miss Daniel Craig's Bond a lot.
    I honestly don't think Nolan will do a trilogy. The Bat wasn't initially a trilogy either. More likely he will set the framework for the new vision post-Craig and then may direct one to set it going (like how they set up the Netflix series).

We're long overdue for it and it's important that it go to someone who has a passion for and understanding of this franchise. So I'm very excited to learn that he may be involved, no matter in what capacity.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Aidan Turner would be a HORRIBLE Bond, and don't care (and don't know) how good his acting is, he simply doesn't have a British look. And by "British look", I don't necessarily mean a white person, as I believe Idris Elba does have a "British look".

You lost me when you said Nicholas Hoult has the look for Bond. I don't see it whatsoever and would be real upset if he was cast. He's not a bad actor, just not remotely Bond material in my opinion.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Both choices are abysmal!
    Nolan it seems is definitely involved in some capacity it seems, more than just standard talks. He has an idea or vision for Craig's last tying into the franchises future films imo. The rumors have been to frequent & the cats coming out of the bag, Nolan is helming the next one me thinks.
    I bet P+W's script is very much a direct continuation from SP, and Nolan's idea is not at all connected. Now they're weighing which to choose for Bond 25, to mix some of it, or whatever.
    A Christopher Nolan Bond trilogy with Tom Hardy? That would certainly be ambitious.
    Too old. Nolan will cast a younger actor, probably someone he has already worked with before. Hopefully Jack Lowden.