No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I submit a request for a fifth Brosnan film.

In 2004-2005 maybe, not now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dennison wrote: »

In 2004-2005 maybe, not now.
    I was reading some background reports on DC Comics films the other day, and something sparked through my mind when I've come across a DC key member's plan to turn unproduced film scripts to animated movies. I mean... imagine something similar to take place with the Bonds, with Dalton's proposed third for the 17th installment, and Brosnan's fifth (and proper sendoff) that we deserved but never had.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm generally against these sort of 'sendoffs'. Honestly this should be about the character of Bond and not the actor who plays him getting any sort of sunset moment. I think in retrospect it was a good thing Brosnan and Dalton left when they did. It all worked out for the best. My views on the incumbent in this regard should be well known by now.

I respect Dalton for calling it quits in 1994.
    Brosnan didn't leave, though. He services were refused, instead.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm generally against these sort of 'sendoffs'. Honestly this should be about the character of Bond and not the actor who plays him getting any sort of sunset moment. I think in retrospect it was a good thing Brosnan and Dalton left when they did. It all worked out for the best. My views on the incumbent in this regard should be well known by now.

If only Craig had done the same in 2016, we could be well into production with a new Bond by now. I think the atmosphere around would be far more electric if that were the case.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

If only Craig had done the same in 2016, we could be well into production with a new Bond by now. I think the atmosphere around would be far more electric if that were the case.
    No doubt. I would have loved a Dalton third, but he was smart enough to know that enough time had progressed that he should leave. I really admire him for that because he allowed the rebirth of the series.
    Yes, but I've always looked back on that for the best. Not because Brosnan couldn't have done a fifth (I think he would have been great in it) but because the time was right.

No doubt. I would have loved a Dalton third, but he was smart enough to know that enough time had progressed that he should leave. I really admire him for that because he allowed the rebirth of the series.
    Yes, but I've always looked back on that for the best. Not because Brosnan couldn't have done a fifth (I think he would have been great in it) but because the time was right.

Dalton left because he didn't want to do more than one more - if the offer was just for Bond 17 he may well have done it.
    I'm generally against these sort of 'sendoffs'. Honestly this should be about the character of Bond and not the actor who plays him getting any sort of sunset moment.
    This.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I'm generally against these sort of 'sendoffs'. Honestly this should be about the character of Bond and not the actor who plays him getting any sort of sunset moment.
    This.

Thirded.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Mendes was perfect for skyfall but wrong for spectre. Even with a messy script they could have made improvements on the action & hired a director more suited towards that
    That is true. Mendes is not an action man. Far from it. However, given rumours that they are going for an action-lite entry next time out, Mendes could work very well.

Where did the action-lite rumor come from?
    Right after Craig announced his return there were articles which suggested a far less action oriented entry than before, to accommodate his age and to prevent future injuries. It makes sense to me. He's no spring chicken and anyone expecting to see him running around like he did in CR/QoS is going to be sadly disappointed.

For whatever reason they might be doing it, but this doesn't sound like the road to success to me. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

I'm into that.

I'm into that.
    Certainement, monsieur. Certainement.
    I’m sure it would at least be better than DAD.
    I’m sure it would at least be better than DAD.
    I'm more than sure it would've been Brosnan's FYEO.
    And I really like FYEO, so I’m sure that would have turned out nicely. I don’t know how similar to FYEO Bond 25 will be for Craig. Less action-oriented at least seems likely.
    FYEO has a very special place in my heart. :D
    It’s a good one no doubt. Just sneaks into my Top 10 for now.

Back on topic and responding to previous comments, I for one am glad Craig decided to return. I’m worried about who will replace him. Plus we haven’t had this longevity since Moore, so it’s kind of nice honestly. Of course Craig is my own second favorite Bond so I am biased, but I’m definitely glad he is returning. 5 is a great number to finish on for a Bond.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 832
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    CR is Craig's best ending, Followed by SP. he captures white & later blofeld crawling in fear.

Endings of the craig films. CR- SF- QOS- SP. With huge gaps between each, especially the last two. Craigs first three are among the best endings in the series, the last has the worst ending in the entire series. Smallest gap between SF and QOS.
    It's a different world in our time for sure than it was ten years ago or the eras before it. The game in the film industry changed and Bond has to follow the trend, which really discards the tenure regularities of the past for the most part regarding production structure. I'm moderately open to welcome changes, but at the same time, I'm also in fear of Eon picking the wrong actor and radically modernizing the character furthermore, which I'd rather didn't happen. That makes me glad Craig is coming back, as well. But, only because he's delaying that suspense for some of us.
    It’s true. I fear our next Bond will be too modern; God forbid a misogynistic character exists in any movie in the 2010s. PC culture is so out of hand.
    It’s true. I fear our next Bond will be too modern; God forbid a misogynistic character exists in any movie in the 2010s. PC culture is so out of hand.
    I really do hope Bond recovers his chauvinism in the cinematic franchise someday. The comics by Dynamite are doing so well with the character I feel at home reading them. Why can't the movies do that? Are they afraid of the feminist PC backlash?

Heaven forbid there's a Bond Girl in a bikini. Feminists will yell "rape culture".
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Oh god, I haven't even thought of that.
    It’s true. We should all be worried about what comes next. Movies, one of the few outlets that is supposed to escape censorship, have to worry about offending PC police and causing bad press. I really hope Bond does not give in to the BS, even if it hurts it in the news.
    Hear Hear!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Movies being tweaked to avoid offending particular people has been going on for a while now, sadly. I can only assume things will get more PC as the years go by.
    We should start a revolution. :))
    If you don't want radical modernization of the character then the fact is you should really be support Aidan Turner for the role. Some have stated here that he looks to be less white than any Bond before, so he would appease at least a segment of the progressive elite. Do I want to appease anyone like that? No, but it may be our best chance of sticking as close to the character as Fleming intended. So that covers the racial aspects, as far as anyone cares about it. Now, it order to keep him a misogynistic and the more caustic elements of the Bond character intact it requires someone non threatening but with enough of an edge that you don't want to mess with them. Brosnan was a master at this, and Moore could be too on occasion. There needs to be a cheek to it, like a naughty school aspect. Is this ideal? Not really, but it's the best way to maintain the character without people condemning the producers as promoted bad attitudes. There needs to be an understanding that Bond is a mischievous character inside his own organisation. Aidan Turner is great at protesting dark characters, but he can also do the swashbuckling element that would be necessary to sell this type of character to a modern audience. Bond is becoming more of an outlier as time passes, which is why the right actor is needed to handle the portrayal with delicacy.
    Just one of the many things going wrong with the way society is turning. One of my biggest concerns for the next Bond era is just how PC it will be. Some say Craig’s Bond films aren’t very traditional; wait until we see what could happen next. Craig’s films might be our last “traditional” Bond movies.
    I'm not ruling out Turner's possibility in becoming Bond. He's not on the mainstream media's radar, at all.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,270
    From the candidates I have seen he’s my top pick to play Bond.