No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In other words, a sappy melodrama.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

No. Not if the rest of the film is good.
  • shobairshobair London
    Nolan selected as director
    I hope we are lucky enough to get a title by the first half of next year, but that likely won’t be until a year before the release date. This is even more painful than the wait between QoS and SF.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

No. Not if the rest of the film is good.
    A downer ending, symbolisms about the facts of life, heroes in th spy game never ending up getting a happy ending and that the latter phrase is all about a fairy tale, etc. I don’t see that as a good film, let alone a good Bond film. Just a sappy melodrama for the sake of it because the writers have run out of ideas that they think the audiences might find appealing.

A mashup of Logan and Skyfall, and you’ve got the most depressing Bond film to date.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 15,840
    I want to walk out of B25 feeling upbeat like I just saw a kick a$$ Bond film. I'd like a return to a triumphant feeling as the end credits roll.
    SF had it both ways successfully IMO. And so did CR. Bond lost someone he cared about in both, but he also captured White and had the classic setup established in both.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Here here. I'm tired of that grim dark stuff. Give me a TSWLM/GE type film for Bond 25.
    Murdock wrote: »

Here here. I'm tired of that grim dark stuff. Give me a TSWLM/GE type film for Bond 25.

Didn’t we already pretty much get that with SP? Anyways I think the tone of CR would be perfect. It’s pretty dark, but by no means devoid of humor.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Didn’t we already pretty much get that with SP? Anyways I think the tone of CR would be perfect. It’s pretty dark, but by no means devoid of humor.

Not exactly. The foster brother nonsense and C shutting down the 00 section/Nine eyes non drama put a curtain on that.
    I suppose. I still think CR-type tone is most appropriate for Craig to go out on. But it could work in a number of ways still. I’m most concerned about the direction they will go in with Madeleine and Blofeld’s characters, if they return.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondsum wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't think Spielberg would have done a Bond film until FYEO...and I can only imagine how that would have gone.
    According to the man himself, the filmmaker approached Albert 'Cubby' Broccoli in 1975 fresh from finding blockbuster success with Jaws. Speaking on Michael Ball's BBC Radio 2 show, he said: "I called Cubby Broccoli twice, and after Jaws which was such a huge success, I thought 'Hey people are giving me final cut now.' So I called up Cubby and offered my services but he didn’t think I was right for the part."

So that was before Lewis Gilbert got the gig of directing TSWLM, @TripAces. Therefore, he could have potentially added The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) and/or Moonraker (1979) to his list of credits.... and not FYEO, @TripAces. That was one of the big reasons why Lucas offered Spielberg Raiders of The Lost Ark in 1980.

It didn't stop there either, the director adding: ‘Then even after Close Encounters [of the Third Kind] came out and was a big hit - once again - I tried to get on a Bond film and now they can’t afford me. So Barbara, forget it."

I've bolded-up the last part of his comment to demonstrate that he's no longer interested in directing a Bond movie, hence "Forget it, Barbara."

Just to put an end to any further woolgathering comments.

TSWLM would have been difficult because Spielberg was already off and running on Close Encounters. My sense of it was that Spielberg spoke to Cubby about a Bond film in the future, not the immediate future.

There was no way Spielberg would have directed MR.

The new documentary Spielberg suggested that Lucas hired him for ROTLA because 1941 was such a failure.

That's why it seems to me that FYEO would have fallen in his lap.

Not exactly. The foster brother nonsense and C shutting down the 00 section/Nine eyes non drama put a curtain on that.
    Thank you!

Thank you!

Don't mention it. ;)
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    A film with the scale of TSWLM/GF with the tone of CR/QOS is what I want.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Remington wrote: »

Is that really even possible? Grand scale and serious, reality-rooted tone seldom go hand in hand.
  • A blend of A View to a Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Quantum of Solace, The World Is Not Enough, Licence to Kill, and Dr. No would do me nicely. Who's with me?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Give me a blend of From Russia With Love and Octopussy and I’ll be more than happy.
    Tense spy thriller with exciting action done for real.
    I’m still excited for B25. I’ve never not been excited for a new Bond film
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    A blend of A View to a Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Quantum of Solace, The World Is Not Enough, Licence to Kill, and Dr. No would do me nicely. Who's with me?
    Leaving out AVTAK and replacing it with TSWLM, I’m all for that blend.
  • A blend of A View to a Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Quantum of Solace, The World Is Not Enough, Licence to Kill, and Dr. No would do me nicely. Who's with me?

Would you settle for Live and Let Die?
    A blend of A View to a Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Quantum of Solace, The World Is Not Enough, Licence to Kill, and Dr. No would do me nicely. Who's with me?

Moonraker? ;)

Moonraker? ;)

Sold!
    Craigraker? ;)
    yBISkCml.jpg
  • If only to see him toss aside a cucumber sandwich like he just don't care.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Craigraker? ;)
    yBISkCml.jpg
    Just a (Good)heads up. ;)

gHURGFi.png
    3u0koCM.png
    edited December 2017 Posts: 16,333
    delete
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Remington wrote: »

Is that really even possible? Grand scale and serious, reality-rooted tone seldom go hand in hand.
    Moore´s films often had bigger contradictions and managed, so technically it´s possible. They´d have to find a way to fit it to Craig´s portrayal, which in itself is variable. CR and QoS in that respect had much better humor for instance than SF and SP.

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I really think they should give Matthew Vaughn a go for Bond at some point. I have heard a couple of his interviews before and he sounds like a Bond nut. Good solid director too. Great homage by him to OHMSS is Kingsman 2.
    If it's the X-Men: First Class style of a director Matthew Vaughn we're talking about, then I'll be glad to give him a shot. But, if it's the Kick-Ass/Kingsman Vaughn, then no thanks.