No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    Panchito is completely right though. It's one of the most annoying comparisons the forum has come up with.

Agreed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Blame SP for utilizing the MI6 team in such a way then! No more Scooby gang waltzing around aimlessly in London for me, please.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It may be annoying to some, but it's completely valid in my estimation.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Blame SP for utilizing the MI6 team in such a way then! No more Scooby gang waltzing around aimlessly in London for me, please.
    Agreed. Enough with the sad attempts to duplicate Jack Bauer and Ethan Hunt. Let's get back to Bond on a mission doing what he does best with limited involvement from MI6 office amateurs & tech geeks. Q shut down Nine Eyes in SP. What did Bond do? Save Madeline.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It may be annoying to some, but it's completely valid in my estimation.
    Agreed. Enough with the sad attempts to duplicate Jack Bauer and Ethan Hunt. Let's get back to Bond on a mission doing what he does best with limited involvement from MI6 office amateurs & tech geeks. Q shut down Nine Eyes in SP. What did Bond do? Save Madeline.

Yeah for the whole of the SP car chase I was just thinking of all the 24 scenes when Jack is on the phone with Chloe!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I didn't find the inclusion of MI6 in SP to be much of an issue. SP had problems that far exceeded that. The only misstep was the phone call to Moneypenny in the midst of the car chase. (But I did like the view of Naomie Harris in her PJs)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The term Scooby Gang is spot on.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I like the briefing scene in TB with the anonymous 00s - "Every 00 man in Europe has been called in." You see a guy with a beard and a woman among them. I've watched that scene and pondered what they were like and that's about all I really want from other 00s in the series.
    I couldn't agree more. For all those that say TB is a boring movie, etc, it's these sort of scenes that put it head and shoulders above any of the later entries in the briefing scenes.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I've never had as much enthusiasm for the Trevelyan character. To think he would become a 00 and go through all that just to later get revenge doesn't sit well. It's all part of that trend of there's a traitor we thought we trusted scenario so overdone in spy culture.
    Again, I agree. The Trevelyan character was somewhat mishandled from script to screen. I believe he was also meant to have been played by a much older actor (Anthony Hopkins?), not that that would've changed the character's traitorous motives that much. As an aside, I also had the same problem with Raoul Silva, in that he was too similar to Trevelyan.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    talos7 wrote: »

Yes it's annoying but only because it's bang on the money.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Damn it, I hope we have a lean, linear story where Bond has to 'save the world' instead of someones water supply or webcam privacy.

I am as ready to see a spectacular Bond film as I was to see a grounded one in 2002.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    People, STOP using the expression "Scooby gang"! It's the single most annoying expression this forum has come up with in years. Every time I read it, it makes me want to punch a puppy! (and I don't like punching puppies)

latest?cb=20101219135431

Clochwise from bottom left: Bond, Moneypenny, M, Q. Tanner in the middle.
    Good thing then that Waltz is not on board this time ;-).

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »

I'm not putting anything past them just yet. I wouldn't be shocked if Mendes returned.

I'm not putting anything past them just yet. I wouldn't be shocked if Mendes returned.

Not shocked but terrible annoyed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Of Waltz, Mendes, Newman and Sedoux who would we be most dismayed to see return?

For me (in order of person I would least like back):

1. Newman
    2. Mendes
    3. Seydoux
    4. Waltz
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I would welcome Waltz back if they handle him better. I enjoyed both SF and SP (middling films for me though), but I don't to want see Mendes back - I want something fresh and completely different. Give me another film in the tone of CR, or dare I say it, QOS and I'll be happy. The other two, Newman and Seydoux.. don't really care for either of them returning. Sorry about Lea - she's a nice girl, but they're pretty forgettable inclusions IMO, especially Newman. Definitely bring back Hinx, but have him lurking in the shadows a bit more like Jaws at Giza or Grant on the train.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    QBranch wrote: »
    I would welcome Waltz back if they handle him better. I enjoyed both SF and SP (middling films for me though), but I don't to want see Mendes back - I want something fresh and completely different. Give me another film in the tone of CR, or dare I say it, QOS and I'll be happy. The other two, Newman and Seydoux.. don't really care for either of them returning. Sorry about Lea - she's a nice girl, but they're pretty forgettable inclusions IMO, especially Newman. Definitely bring back Hinx, but have him lurking in the shadows a bit more like Jaws at Giza or Grant on the train.

It doesn't take much for Hinx's return to beat the only other henchman return of the series. Here's hoping they don't screw that up.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In order of least wanting to see back:

1. Waltz
    2. Seydoux
    3. Newman
    4. Mendes

Regarding the first two: One should only be given one chance to make a poor first impression. They both did. Plus I'd rather not be reminded of SP after having four long years to distance myself and forget it.

Why am I not so fussed if Mendes returns? Well, if he does I think he will feel compelled to deliver something at least on par with SF, and that would be decent enough for me. The same goes for Newman.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »

It doesn't take much for Hinx's return to beat the only other henchman return of the series. Here's hoping they don't screw that up.
    As long as they don't make him more comical than his one line of dialogue in SP, "$#!+" - which isn't a criticism btw. Keep him consistent. It really looks like they left out his thumbnail kill on Bond and 'demise' ambiguous to bring him back next time around. I would be highly surprised if they didn't. It would seem weird to have him return in a couple of film's time with a new Bond actor. He should be Craig's nemesis only, as far as henchman are concerned.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @QBranch - Agreed.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    A Mendes return would not be the worst thing. I still blame a messed up script and a stubborn shooting schedule for how SP turned out, though the shooting range pictures were ridiculous and well within Mendes’ control. I agree with @bondjames in that SM would look to rectify things a bit
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondjames wrote: »
    In order of least wanting to see back:

1. Waltz
    2. Seydoux
    3. Newman
    4. Mendes

My order is the exact reverse.

I still think it's pretty funny. I think it's earned it's place as a classic forum term- right up there with referring to Michael G Wilson as Mickey G. :)

I prefer Whitehall Brigade, myself. It's the term Mendes used in the first place.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'll stick to the Scooby Gang moniker. Because they're as clumsy as the Scooby Gang.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 15,818
    I'll stick to the Scooby Gang moniker. Because they're as clumsy as the Scooby Gang.

True, they let former MI6 agents post agent profiles on Youtube, and unknowingly hire SPECTRE agents that plot to merge MI6 and demolish the Double-O Section while incorrectly referring to it as the "Double-O Program".
    Bernard Lee's M would tolerate none of that.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

True, they let former MI6 agents post agent profiles on Youtube, and unknowingly hire SPECTRE agents that plot to merge MI6 and demolish the Double-O Section while incorrectly referring to it as the "Double-O Program".

"Of all the fouled-up, half-witted operations!"

---

Yes, that "Double-O Program" term is utterly wrong. The use of Double-Ohs isn't meant to be a temporary, transient thing. It's permanent, and it's no program.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    A Mendes return would not be the worst thing. I still blame a messed up script and a stubborn shooting schedule for how SP turned out, though the shooting range pictures were ridiculous and well within Mendes’ control. I agree with @bondjames in that SM would look to rectify things a bit

For me, though, Mendes deserves some blame for the messed up script. John Logan was Mendes' guy and he was working with Mendes while working on the first draft. I suspect Logan was channeling themes Mendes wanted.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

"Of all the fouled-up, half-witted operations!"

---

Yes, that "Double-O Program" term is utterly wrong. The use of Double-Ohs isn't meant to be a temporary, transient thing. It's permanent, and it's no program.

When I hear it referred to as such, it never sits well with me when I view SP.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    People, STOP using the expression "Scooby gang"! It's the single most annoying expression this forum has come up with in years. Every time I read it, it makes me want to punch a puppy! (and I don't like punching puppies)
    I associate anyone invoking that term as part of the Scooby Gang.
    Solace.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I coined that one!

It was funny when you wrote it. It isn t funny when forty others repeat it every day for two years.