No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

People, STOP using the expression "Scooby gang"! It's the single most annoying expression this forum has come up with in years. Every time I read it, it makes me want to punch a puppy! (and I don't like punching puppies)
    I prefer big names stay out of the franchise anyways. Call me crazy but I thought Ola Rapace was really compelling; I almost wish they used him for a different, slightly more substantial role.

Having seen him play an extensive part in Wallander I was expecting him to have at least a few lines of dialogue in Skyfall.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    @ClarkDevlin she was terrific, and she appears in one of my favourite sequences in the entire franchise.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @ClarkDevlin she was terrific, and she appears in one of my favourite sequences in the entire franchise.
    Indeed. Despite my large and everlasting disdain of Skyfall, I actually love Severine (and Berenice!) as a character as well as her scenes. I'd switch her with Madeleine in a heartbeat.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    People, STOP using the expression "Scooby gang"! It's the single most annoying expression this forum has come up with in years. Every time I read it, it makes me want to punch a puppy! (and I don't like punching puppies)

Blame Mendes not us mate.

Scrappy Doo ?

latest?cb=20110721032430
  • Some truly bizarre responses to the idea of seeing some more "00" agents in the field. I think it would he a great idea. Loved the beginning of GE with 006 and 007 working together. Gave me chills! I don't know why Idris Elba wouldn't want to play an "00" agent, and I don't know why he is 'prejudiced' against EON. The James Bond role isn't vacant so he was never asked, but a beefed up "008" role (a male co-star instead of Bond girl for once) would entice him, surely?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Elba in many articles and many interviews expressed disdain of the franchise, and has been highly suggestive of getting his own vehicle rather than succeeding in someone's shoes. With an ego like his, don't dream of seeing him in a two minute role. That isn't news.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Some truly bizarre responses to the idea of seeing some more "00" agents in the field. I think it would he a great idea. Loved the beginning of GE with 006 and 007 working together. Gave me chills! I don't know why Idris Elba wouldn't want to play an "00" agent, and I don't know why he is 'prejudiced' against EON. The James Bond role isn't vacant so he was never asked, but a beefed up "008" role (a male co-star instead of Bond girl for once) would entice him, surely?

Daniel and Idris in a pseudo Lethal Weapon reboot? I'll pass thanks.
    Some truly bizarre responses to the idea of seeing some more "00" agents in the field. I think it would he a great idea. Loved the beginning of GE with 006 and 007 working together. Gave me chills! I don't know why Idris Elba wouldn't want to play an "00" agent, and I don't know why he is 'prejudiced' against EON. The James Bond role isn't vacant so he was never asked, but a beefed up "008" role (a male co-star instead of Bond girl for once) would entice him, surely?

Daniel and Idris in a pseudo Lethal Weapon reboot? I'll pass thanks.

They've already made a reboot of Lethal Weapon.
    So lets move on to the last bit of news

So who do we want as a Director for Bond 25?

How about Pierre Morrel?
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,600
    All of the great Bond movies have strong and interesting supporting characters and they need to have a back story that is believable and fits in with the context on Bond's world. Other double 0 agents fit perfectly within this IMHO and it's something thats been relatively underused so far.

Even with characters that are dead like Ronson (Bond uses his real name rather than call sign/code name etc so the audience see him more as a person and so does Bond), it works as we see straight away that Bond is/has worked with him and around 1 min 20 sec in to the movie we get emotion/drama straight away as we see that Bond actually cares about him and considers sacrificing the mission to provide first aid ("I have to stop the bleeding") and immeidiate conflict with M (Bond pauses at the door and looks back at Ronson, telling us that its a hard decision for Bond to make) and then, later, Bond uses Ronsons death to poke at M and hint that M was responsible for the loss of a team member. "Ronson didn't make it, did he?" (apologies for the SF geekines)

So, within 2 mins, the audience dive in head first and find it easy to make connections and assumptions with very little exposition and it works. (the same within Goldeneye)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So lets move on to the last bit of news

So who do we want as a Director for Bond 25?

How about Pierre Morrel?

No, I think Mendes is back. There's a good chance of it anyway. I already have quite a good picture of the Bond 25 PTS will look like in my head.
  • patb wrote: »
    All of the great Bond movies have strong and interesting supporting characters and they need to have a back story that is believable and fits in with the context on Bond's world. Other double 0 agents fit perfectly within this IMHO and it's something thats been relatively underused so far. and assumptions with very little exposition and it works. (the same within Goldeneye)

I agree. For some reason we haven't really seen that much of the "00" section in action (not Q and his team, the actual agents themselves). I would love to seeing other "00's" in action. In Goldeneye we saw 006 and 007 together, and it was absolute magic. I'd like to see more of this one day.

I think many long term fans see Bond as special and unique and, in portraying other double 0 agents, it could somehow deminish his uniqueness?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I watched an interview on YouTube last night when Craig was promoting SP, and he mentioned how he’d love to film in Greece. Hopefully that happens for B25.
    patb wrote: »
    I think many long term fans see Bond as special and unique and, in portraying other double 0 agents, it could somehow deminish his uniqueness?
    Agreed. It's for a reason called "James Bond Thriller" and not 00-Section. Bond is supposed to be the capable star of the adventure, and the others would just be servicing his story to move it forward.
    Its an interesting debate. For me, the is much more to Bond than his licence. He is a complex character full stop and, within the team of say 10 double 0 agents, he would surely standout. In terms of his character, I think it is a sign of insecurity that he cant stand up to being unique within a movie that also has another double 0 within the story. I dont think Goldeneye ever threatned Bond's uniqueness?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not so much in favour of this idea of double O's personally. Given the reported desire for universe building I can see why they may consider this, but after the Scooby debacle I'd rather they focus purely on Bond for at least a few films before branching out again.
    I am very curious about the script. I'd like to see more Mi6 agents. 008, 009 etc. I'd love to see Idris Elba as 008 and a female 009. I think the latest Mission Impossible movies have done a good job showing other agents but without detracting from the main star.

Let's expand the Scooby gang to a cast of thousands by having a different 00 to represent every single minority?Not quite as appalling an idea as brothergate but certainly right up there.

That's quite a strawman. It would be interesting to see more 00 agents, as long as they're not implied to live very long (ie, have a PTS maybe with Bond working with another 00 who is KIA along the way).
    We already had that in 1995.

And it was great! No problems here to see something similar in the Craig era. Obviously it wouldn't be as good to have the entire plot revolve around the other 00 again, though.
    I´m not necessarily a fan of this idea, but come to think of it, I find it totally strange that Eon hasn´t done this yet, since it would be the perfect way to expand into spin-offs. Imagine Bond in dire straits near the climax of the film, and some badass saving his ass. Everybody would want to know more about that guy. Instead they came up with this stupid Wei Lin/Jinx idea.

The best Bond films have Bond on his own relying on his wits against massive odds not surrounded by a team of helpers.

I don't want to see Bond girl equals, Scooby gangs or teams of 00s.

Bond on his own with a girl in tow and perhaps a colourful local ally to lend a hand here and there is more than enough.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    The only "team" I would look forward to would be Felix and 007 again - that would be cool. But no more 00's, please.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    The only "team" I would look forward to would be Felix and 007 again - that would be cool.
    +1
    The thing about the "gang" in SP (and partly SF) is that the team are out of their comfort zone and out of our comfort zone. We have literally been brought up with everyone of the team "in their place" and that part of the formula works (surely we can all agree on that?), producing some of the most memorable and loved scenes/banter of the whole series. If there was any part of the formula that did not need re-inventing, it was that.

But Bond cant work solely alone in the field so some help or involvement along the way from another double 0 agent is far more prefereable/believable IMHO than Q or M coming out of their office and playing spies.

MP's spy role on SF would have been much better played by a female double 0 agent on her first mission and found herself "in at the deepend " and perhaps "out of her depth" working alongside THE most experienced agent.

Perfect to just leave there and perhaps taunt us for a return of the character later on in another movie when she has gained more experience.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    My concern rests with Babs. From some of the comments she (and Craig) have made over the years I can foresee a time when we have more 'equal' (*cough*) Jinxs and Wai Lins in the frame taking the mick out of Bond.

Why? Well to appease and accommodate those who feel Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur of course. Those who expect more equality in a Bond film. I'd rather we not have any plot lines that further such misguided (imho) ambitions to further global box office. The temptation will be too great, I fear. I just don't trust the current producers enough at this point.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    bondjames wrote: »
    My concern rests with Babs. From some of the comments she (and Craig) have made over the years I can foresee a time when we have more 'equal' (*cough*) Jinxs and Wai Lins in the frame taking the mick out of Bond.

Why? Well to appease and accommodate those who feel Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur of course. Those who expect more equality in a Bond film. I'd rather we not have any plot lines that further such misguided (imho) ambitions to further global box office. The temptation will be too great, I fear. I just don't trust the current producers enough at this point.

Indeed.

The pressure to be diverse along with Babs position on the board of BAFTA feminists (or whatever it's called) suggests this PC tripe being foisted on Bond sooner rather than later.

And what easier way to do it than have a few female/black/gay/disabled/Muslim etc 00s who are ostensibly Bond's equal?

It's depressing to think that this conversation is certainly happening in script meetings at EON.
    Yes, I share your concerns. The thing is, a good script writer could really milk the "fish out of water" sub themes re hinting that Bond is slightly out of step but still proud to be himself. It can be signalled within banter like opening a door as a gentlemanly act or getting up at the dining table as a guest enters etc,

there were hints of this within Goldeneye and the banter with M. Bond's character rubbing up against the outside World could provide for some new material if handled well (and having the guts to keep Bond as Bond) , but the gutless way forward is to start to lose the very essense of what makes Bond, Bond;
    I like the briefing scene in TB with the anonymous 00s - "Every 00 man in Europe has been called in." You see a guy with a beard and a woman among them. I've watched that scene and pondered what they were like and that's about all I really want from other 00s in the series.

No connections beyond Bond being annoyed when one is killed like in OP or the very brief scene with the locket with the microchip and the family portrait (who knows if it was real) in AVTAK. You can even imagine when Bond in TB says in the pretitles of Boitier "He murdered two of my colleagues" he could've very well been talking of fellow 00s or just random agents.

I've never had as much enthusiasm for the Trevelyan character. To think he would become a 00 and go through all that just to later get revenge doesn't sit well. It's all part of that trend of there's a traitor we thought we trusted scenario so overdone in spy culture.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

latest?cb=20101219135431
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Panchito is completely right though. It's one of the most annoying comparisons the forum has come up with.