No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 2,115
    //Still, it's notable that apart from the SF anomaly, the US ticket sales have not increased fundamentally since the Brosnan bump that accompanied GE.//

In terms of number of tickets sold in the US, SPECTRE was the lowest (23 million) from 1995 to present. Regardless, all of the films during that period (except for Skyfall) are in the 23 million to 27 million range. Skyfall is No. 3 among Bond films in terms of number of tickets sold in the US.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Found this one with Annapurna.

I made that, LOL.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,844
    FoxRox wrote: »
    If we’re lucky. I’ll probably start my backwards Bondathon in February or March. At least we have such a great selection to revisit and as we wait.

Bolded for TRUTH!

I may join you on that endeavor. I've never gone backwards before. (Or I may have to save that one for the introduction of Bond #7.)
    @TheWizardOfIce No, SP was not experimental.

Hence I only bolded 'that outrages 99% of Bond fans'.

Try and keep up.
    It's you who needs to try and keep up, son. I didn't write "a Bond film that's EITHER experimental OR outrages 99% of Bond fans". I wrote " an experimental Bond film that outrages 99% of Bond fans".

So he did everything right. Logic isn't a particular strong trait of yours, right?
    You are embarassing yourself. Please tell me you were joking! Some reading material for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_conjunction
  • jake24 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Those poor American people though, will think that they are going to watch a found-footage or whatever arthouse film :-D. But, this could be very well the intro to Bond 25 in the USA:

Or this 2017-version :-D:
    It's my understanding that MGM will continue to release its titles under the MGM banner through the joint venture and Annapurna will do the same for its titles. So it's unlikely that we see the logo (although possible). More likely there will be a small note somewhere if they decide to name the JV (an MGM/Annapurna Joint Venture or something like that).

Or they will create an entirely new logo.....that makes it's clear it's a joint venture in the USA.
    They may, but as mentioned, the press release said they will release with their own respective banner via the JV.

BTW: Where's that announcement that was supposedly coming this week?
    Details were meant to be finalized this week, but that doesn't mean an announcement will take place. They could very well be waiting for international distribution to be locked in before announcing both to the public.

That's my idea as well. I think Gary Barber wants to wait until the entore distribution package (contracts) is sorted out, but domestically and globally.....and then Barber will probably mention that:

A) Annapurna is doing US and Canada, and
    B) A bigger player, like Universal, is doing the worldwide distribution
    What if against all odds Bond 25 is the best Bond ever? I think there’s like a .0001% chance, but it would be so awesome.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    What if against all odds Bond 25 is the best Bond ever? I think there’s like a .0001% chance, but it would be so awesome.

I hope for that every time I go to see a new Bond. As you say, the odds of that are small, especially given the creative vision of late, but every so often they do knock it outta the park (to some degree or another).
    I do have a feeling this will end the trend of the last Bond film of an actor’s being worse than the introduction film for the new Bond. I have this really had feeling about the next Bond actor/films.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is this the first time they've gone in knowing it'll be the actor's last?
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Is this the first time they've gone in knowing it'll be the actor's last?

Yes. They should have known with AVTAK, but I seriously think Cubby would have kept asking Roger back into the 90s!
    I'm glad Craig is stopping with 5 for several reasons:

1. It continues the trend of each EON Bond actor having a different total amount of films.
    2. I think 5 is a good number to end on; Connery would have stopped on YOLT and Moore would have stopped on FYEO, and by my standards those are good Bond films.
    3. Though Craig is my second favorite Bond actor right behind Connery, he obviously is getting worn out by the role, and I doubt there are many other places to take his Bond.
    4. First actor since Moore to do more than 4! Craig will have the third-most Bond movies! Having that longevity again is unexpected but nice for the Bond series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I do have a feeling this will end the trend of the last Bond film of an actor’s being worse than the introduction film for the new Bond. I have this really had feeling about the next Bond actor/films.
    If they screw up that long held tradition I won't forgive this regime. They're already on thin ice with me, so they'd better prioritize the first film of the new actor's tenure for B26. That is the one I want to be really first class to set the tone for the next decade or so of leadership in the market.

I'm really not that fussed about Craig's high. As I've said previously, this isn't the Daniel Craig show to me. This is the James Bond show, and that's where my loyalty ultimately lies.
    Well obviously there is more overall priority in the series than just Craig’s movies. I just am really worried about where they will go from here. DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD, GE, and CR are all good to great Bond films IMO.
    Well obviously there is more overall priority in the series than just Craig’s movies. I just am really worried about where they will go from here. DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD, GE, and CR are all good to great Bond films IMO.
    They are all superb films, and I don't have any reason to believe that B26 won't be the same. There is always keen interest when there is an actor switch (due to the duration of the Bond series and the fact that so few people have held the coveted 007 license as an actor). EON have always been on their toes when that switch happens, and I sincerely hope they are next time out as well.
    If EON is done though that will be a problem. I feel like unfortunately it’s only a matter of time before lightning doesn’t strike for a new Bond actor.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If EON is done though that will be a problem. I feel like unfortunately it’s only a matter of time before lightning doesn’t strike for a new Bond actor.
    It doesn't have to be a problem and there's really no evidence that they're done. However if they don't feel up to continuing (even if it's due to a dependence on Craig) then they should move on. We don't need people running the franchise whose heart is not in it.

As long as they pass it onto a well intentioned and respectful acquirer I don't believe there will be a problem. This is one of the strongest Brand IPs in the business and everyone will want to maximize its value and ensure its success. I just revisited NSNA a few weeks back and it's a perfectly decent Bond film even though EON aren't behind it. So it doesn't have to be a disaster.

Having said that, we don't know how it will play out post-B25 and for all we know EON will be fully committed to launching B26 with a Villeneuve or Nolan and a new actor.
    Please no Nolan. Or Tarantino. Maybe Villeneueve.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Tarantino has already come close before but I doubt he'd ever get the chance again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Tarantino has already come close before but I doubt he'd ever get the chance again.

Would be terrible.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423

Not only doubt but he cursed th Bond franchise and I doubt he will ever want to work with Eon. Maybe when Bond enters public domain in the 2050s, then maybe afterwards a 120 year old Tarantino might make a film.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

After die Another day there was probably those odds. And then they made CR.... which is arguably the best bond film so the hopeful side of me would like to think that after spectre they could bounce back with something incredible. However, I think CR is absolutely flaw less and a classic and the best film ever made so it is quite impossible to top that because not only does it have to be perfect but it has to be better than perfect. So I cornered myself into likely never finding a bond film better than CR, ever. However even something as good as a TLD, or FRWL would be a win for the franchise in my opinion and making something of that class I feel has the .0001 chance you speak of
    CR is the best Bond film.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,165

Not only doubt but he cursed th Bond franchise and I doubt he will ever want to work with Eon. Maybe when Bond enters public domain in the 2050s, then maybe afterwards a 120 year old Tarantino might make a film.
    Hooray. We’ll get our first foot-fetishist James Bond, just as Fleming intended.
    Tarantino would ruin Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    CR is the best Bond film.

Agreed, what I’m saying is, it’s so flawless how could they possibly top it, what would they have to do.
    Yeah. Honestly I doubt CR or OHMSS will be topped as my Top 2. If Bond 25 is a Top 10 Bond film for me that alone is a big success.
  • Minion wrote: »

Hooray. We’ll get our first foot-fetishist James Bond, just as Fleming intended.

A certain chapter in Thunderball sort of yanks the sarcasm right out from under your post.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

1. It continues the trend of each EON Bond actor having a different total amount of films.

For some reason everyone seems to care about this. I do too!
    mattjoes wrote: »

It’s just kind of cool. Maybe the next actor gets 3? 8 is quite unlikely.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

It’s just kind of cool. Maybe the next actor gets 3? 8 is quite unlikely.

Yes. But both 3 and 8-film tenures seem kind of undesirable to me, being respectively too short and too long.