No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm curious what they see in those two, and why they keep bringing them back time and time again instead of trying out some new blood. Surely can't hurt, and I'm really hoping they go this avenue with the next actor in B26.
  • Can't say I agree, they have written one good bond script. 1/6.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I realize the box office has been quite stellar of late, but something tells me the production house needs to do a far better job of keeping things under control.

As we've speculated here, they appear to be very dependent on Craig to get things going. Who insisted on Villeneuve for instance? What happened to Demange and Mackenzie? Why are they potentially off the table? It doesn't appear that they did anything (including hiring P&W) until they got (at least a verbal) indication from Craig during Othello that he was amenable to returning. They appear to have just sat on it until April (except for high level in 2016/early 2017 director discussions), which is when everything started churning.

I also believe he has had significant input into the script, which could reflect his 'high' remarks. The only question is what does he mean by 'high'? Does he feel CR (where he had the least input) is the high of his Bond career or is it SF? That's the question.
    Villeneuve just a few days ago confirmed that Dune will be his next project, so you needn´t worry about him.

Do you mean Daniel "a scriptwright I am definitely not" Craig with having had significant input into the script?
    Benny wrote: »
    2de1368c393990be63ac4adf0d5b1584--comedy-tv-army.jpg

Pitched that right! Lol! So hopefully we get something early doors officially just into the new year.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited November 2017 Posts: 3,157
    please delete
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I realize the box office has been quite stellar of late, but something tells me the production house needs to do a far better job of keeping things under control.

As we've speculated here, they appear to be very dependent on Craig to get things going. Who insisted on Villeneuve for instance? What happened to Demange and Mackenzie? Why are they potentially off the table? It doesn't appear that they did anything (including hiring P&W) until they got (at least a verbal) indication from Craig during Othello that he was amenable to returning. They appear to have just sat on it until April (except for high level in 2016/early 2017 director discussions), which is when everything started churning.

I also believe he has had significant input into the script, which could reflect his 'high' remarks. The only question is what does he mean by 'high'? Does he feel CR (where he had the least input) is the high of his Bond career or is it SF? That's the question.
    Villeneuve just a few days ago confirmed that Dune will be his next project, so you needn´t worry about him.

Do you mean Daniel "a scriptwright I am definitely not" Craig with having had significant input into the script?
    Honestly I wouldn't have minded Villeneuve, although he wasn't my first choice.

I have no doubt that Craig has significant input into the script (& a lot of other elements), and has done so since QoS.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Even with CR he had influence about how to portray Bond „his“ way“ and his influence grew from film to film. I think his input is a positive factor and I doubt the Blofeld nonsense was his idea
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    FoxRox wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just think, here we are, a mere two years distance from SP, and in only one year's time we will be only a year away from seeing a new Bond film.

I wish it was already out. Amazing how Connery ones came out so quickly and that was the best era.
    I understand that making a big budget film is more complicated nowadays than it was back then. But I am baffled at the seeming writer´s block in the script department.

exactly.. @boldfinger

@FoxRox.. there is a lot that goes to making films nowadays than back in the 60s... i mean, i could list off a bunch of major differences... plus, back in the day - they had fresh Fleming material at their disposal - nowadays, with so very little of Fleming material left to mine, stories take a little longer.... but not 4 years long. - thats just absurd. lol.

I understand times have changed, but still it only took 2 years to get from CR to QoS. The fact we had two 4-year waits in the Craig era sucks. 3 years is acceptable, but 4 can definitely be tough. I would think 2-3 is typically enough. I worry we will have another long wait from Bond 25 to Bond 26 when they are figuring out the new actor and all that.

well, originally they wanted QOS to come out the year after CR - thats because they started working on QOS while they were still in principal production on CR, and had their choice for director at the time (Roger Michell i think was his name) not fallen through, it's likely it could've come out in 2007 - but its something after the fact they admitted they really didn't want to do again, because they spent the better part of 4 years constantly working every day..

the 4 year gap between QOS and SF was thanks in large part to the MGM bankruptcy and restructuring - the movie was originally supposed to be out in 2011..

and of course the waits between SF and SP and SP and B25 are in large part due to them waiting on either Mendes for SP or Craig's decision for B25..

I personally feel like they know who is going to succeed Craig, or least have an idea - they obviously had their talks with actors before Craig made up his mind, to cover their bases.. i dont think we'll get another 4 year gap again, i'd be shocked
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Even with CR he had influence about how to portray Bond „his“ way“ and his influence grew from film to film. I think his input is a positive factor and I doubt the Blofeld nonsense was his idea

But surely he has enough clout nowadays to say no if he thought brothergate was a shit idea?

If Fiennes could kill the M as a traitor storyline then Dan could kill brothergate if he so desired which implies that even if he was not 100% behind the idea he was at least complicit in its implementation.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

an actor having influence over the character he/she is playing is always a positive - the good ones really get into minds of the characters, what makes them tick.. as someone who directs actors often, it helps a lot....

no, i believe the Blofeld debacle was all John Logan and Sam Mendes' idea... BUT... Craig signed off on it, and/or was convinced to go along with it.. my gut instincts tell me it was the latter.. because i could see him not being too overly keen on the idea - but Mendes and Logan reassuring him "no no, it'll be great, trust us - plus you are not really brothers, just foster brothers.. don't worry about it, it'll be fine."

i think he has significant input - but he is too busy to be sitting around a room with writers creating anything..

i think he meets up with the producers and writers, expresses his feelings and opinions on where he thinks the character should go, what his frame of mind should be - maybe if came up with any story ideas/elements himself, he'd share it.. but beyond that, i assume he (like most other actors) let the writers do their job - then once they have a draft, he is sent a copy. He reads it, makes his notes, sends the notes back to the writers and producers - who then go about updating a new draft of the script - whether they abide to all/few/none of his ideas are their decisions...... then, once they get a director, the process repeats itself all over again, once the director brings on his own guy to rewrite/polish the script.
    They dodged a bullet with DV not being able to helm, he would be too experimental at this stage in the game. Their would have been backlash even if it was a "good movie"
    @Tuck91 An experimental Bond film that outrages 99% of Bond fans is exactly the type of Bond film I would want to watch. :bz
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Also, judging from his movie curriculum, it should be taken as a matter of fact that the last thing he cares for is a script.
    STOP! 50% of his Bond movies had EXCELLENT screenplays.

CR and QOS?

But surely he has enough clout nowadays to say no if he thought brothergate was a shit idea?

If Fiennes could kill the M as a traitor storyline then Dan could kill brothergate if he so desired which implies that even if he was not 100% behind the idea he was at least complicit in its implementation.

I know SP has flaws, but to me it would have been 10 times more stupid if M was revealed as a traitor. That alone would have made SP become a bottom-tier Bond film for me rather than a middle-tier one.

I know SP has flaws, but to me it would have been 10 times more stupid if M was revealed as a traitor. That alone would have made SP become a bottom-tier Bond film for me rather than a middle-tier one.

I presume in the original script M being the traitor merely replaces C as the traitor so we'd still get brothergate as well!?

So if it wasn't for Fiennes putting his foot down this abortion would've actually been filmed?

When you consider how much worse it actually could've been from the shambles we still got then none of the people involved in this script should be involved in making a Bond film ever again.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Tuck91 An experimental Bond film that outrages 99% of Bond fans is exactly the type of Bond film I would want to watch. :bz
    How are you a Bond fan, again?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thank the Holy baby Jebus for Fiennes, is all I can say.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Personally I'd rather Mendes had nothing more to do with Bond but I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be directing B25 much to my horror.

I just hope the stories of him and Craig falling out are true and he won't work with him again and we get someone else, DV would have been my ideal candidate but Yann or Mackenzie would be fine by me.

I guess we'll see but my expectations have been lowered considerably after Blohauser gate.
    Most of my problems with SP are in the final third. The first two thirds for the most part make up a pretty good Bond film IMO. I disliked the retconning of Silva as a SPECTRE agent, but I liked that Quantum was a branch of SPECTRE. As for Blofeld being Bond's foster brother - totally unnecessary, and seemed like a cheap way of trying to make it more dramatic when it just comes off as a random and unhelpful plot point. I have hope that they won't bring it up again in Bond 25. Who even knows if Blofeld comes back?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Most of my problems with SP are in the final third. The first two thirds for the most part make up a pretty good Bond film IMO. I disliked the retconning of Silva as a SPECTRE agent, but I liked that Quantum was a branch of SPECTRE. As for Blofeld being Bond's foster brother - totally unnecessary, and seemed like a cheap way of trying to make it more dramatic when it just comes off as a random and unhelpful plot point. I have hope that they won't bring it up again in Bond 25. Who even knows if Blofeld comes back?

I agree 100% ; It would have been very effective to have Blofeld reveal to Bond how many times their paths had crossed, first with Le Chiffre then Green, with both being operatives of Quantum which was part of the larger organization, SPECTRE.

Bond then asks, "And Silva"? To which Blofeld responds cryptically, "No, we were aware of him, but he was too....eccentric for out organization,

Not all of the previous villains had to be linked and the two did not need a previous connection.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »

I agree 100% ; It would have been very effective to have Blofeld reveal to Bond how many times their paths had crossed, first with Le Chiffre then Green, with both being operatives of Quantum which was part of the larger organization, SPECTRE.

Bond then asks, "And Silva"? To which Blofeld responds cryptically, "No, we were aware of him, but he was too....eccentric for out organization,

Not all of the previous villains had to be linked and the two did not need a previous connection.
    Oh but you see... Blofeld wanted to be the author of all Bond's pain. ;)
    I have come to accept that Blofeld was behind all of Craig’s foes, even if I’m not crazy about the idea. Regardless, it was still mostly in a very indirect way, as Quantum agents and Silva still had their own individual plans that Blofeld probably only stamped off on and didn’t attend to directly. It was just a lazy connection, but it doesn’t bother me as much as some Bond fans. Like I said, Quantum at least being part of SPECTRE made sense, since they were both shady organizations with peope everywhere. Silva still doesn’t click as well for me; a character like him probably only needed/wanted SPECTRE to fund him for his plan, and they were ok with it since it involved the destruction of M.
    On another note, one thing I really want to see return for the next film is Bond having a super near-death scene - something like the poisoning scene in CR. SP's torture scene never had me worried. I want something uncomfortable and super close for Bond like the poison scene, but of course something happening for him to overcome the odds.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I can understand broccoli saying that no director was hired yet but to say the script is still being worked on is a little concerning
    @Goldeneye0094 No reason to be concerned at this point. Wait until September/October 2018. If they still won't have a finished script at that point, then you will have a reason to worry.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For all we know they have a strong script locked in and are keeping a tight lid on any leaks
    talos7 wrote: »
    For all we know they have a strong script locked in and are keeping a tight lid on any leaks

Yeah I'm sure they have an absolute OHMSS beater ready to go and are just keeping it safely under lock and key for a year until filming starts. There's literally no chance that that isn't the case. 8-|
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,756
    I brought P&W back cause they are part of the family omg! Without my work family and my Danny boy I would start crying :( I don't wanna think about the future I want Daniel and everyone forever and ever! EVEN if they kinda suck.
    -Babs
    I really hope they can give something strong for Craig to go out on. No disrespect to Connery, Moore, and Brosnan, but their tenures all featured a collectively subpar final film. Time will tell, but it's definitely a good idea to keep expectations low.