No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    barryt007 wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I want Sam Mendes personally. I loved Spectre albeit not as much as SF. Very talented director. At least it looks like Michael Fassbender won't get to be Bond. After Craig leaves I hope the series goes into hibernation for a few years to give the next fella a chance of success. I'd love a 15 rated Bond. With an old Bond in the vein of Logan. That would shake things up a bit. Get Dalton back for a one off. Or just wait 5 to 10 years for Dan to return.

Eeeeee no no to all points there !!

And NO continuity...Bond is not a bloody soap opera,back to standalone only please !!!!

@barryt007 ... i am with you, and want nothing more than a stand alone - but the likelihood of that happening now, with this being Craig's last Bond? i would say the chances of a stand alone adventure in no way connected to the previous 4 films is about 35% at this point... SF was supposed to be a stand alone adventure - but they went through great lengths to somehow tie that into the previous 2 films as well as SP.. there is no way they let Craig's Bond walk with any loose ends that need to be resolved in future films - whether they want to or not at this point, EON have handcuffed their Bond actor to this arch of tight continuity between the films.. Bond 25 will be the final chapter for DC's Bond continuity... i think once Craig is gone, and we get a new actor - we will probably see a tone shift - i just look at how Marvel Studios currently has their formula for their Marvel movies, and can't help but to think EON wants to move in a similar direction... and i stress, not universe building - but just Bond movies in that style - a little lighter - probably a mid 90s Brosnan style again, which to be honest (if it were in a style the same as GE and TND) i wouldn't mind.. just not too much farther than that..
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,032
    After Waltz's remarks about how things went down on Spectre, of one thing I believe we can be certain: while either Waltz or Mendes may regrettably return, they will most certainly not return together. Take your blessings where you can get em.
    With the comments of Jesper Christensen on the franchise before his return in SPECTRE, I'd say anything is possible.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    00Agent wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. So no surprises re: timeline. We'll likely get some news next spring.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i just look at how Marvel Studios currently has their formula for their Marvel movies, and can't help but to think EON wants to move in a similar direction... and i stress, not universe building - but just Bond movies in that style - a little lighter - probably a mid 90s Brosnan style again, which to be honest (if it were in a style the same as GE and TND) i wouldn't mind.. just not too much farther than that..
    The irony @haserot is EON (under Cubby's tenure) were the inventors and masters of this kind of loose continuity and light tone, but threw it in the dustbin over the past decade following the 'melodramatic arc'. We don't need to go to Brosnan in my view, when Connery and Moore set the standard quite high for tone.
    My guess: Sam Mendes is a backup plan, but they want to find a different director.
  • After Waltz's remarks about how things went down on Spectre, of one thing I believe we can be certain: while either Waltz or Mendes may regrettably return, they will most certainly not return together. Take your blessings where you can get em.
    With the comments of Jesper Christensen on the franchise before his return in SPECTRE, I'd say anything is possible.

This is a pretty different situation from Christensen. Christensen expressed displeasure in the writing—the killing off of everyone and anyone—and he surely had the chance to read Spectre before agreeing to the project. Waltz discussed director-actor relationship difficulties. I'd be very surprised if he joins Mendes on another Bond. (Or any film?)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Should this news be cause for concern? Concern as in the movie getting delayed. Shouldn’t the script be finished by now?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Should this news be cause for concern? Concern as in the movie getting delayed. Shouldn’t the script be finished by now?
    If filming is set to begin at the end of next year, then definitely not. It's an ongoing process.
  • Out of curiosity, do we have any idea when work on the script began? Just wondering what they've spent the last two years doing to be honest. Is the longer gap all down to the distributor stuff or was it just a case of Craig/EON wanting a longer break?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    When Gregg Wilson spoke about Bond 25 at last year’s Bond In Motion, which was... around when? March or April? He said they were thinking about current world threats to base a plot around that. The screenwriters weren’t announced until April earlier this year.

Eh I wouldn’t panic yet. Still quite a way to go; sometimes there isn’t even a full script when filming starts.
    I believe (just my guess) that they sat on their hands while waiting for Craig to commit, and it's only around the time of Othello that he expressed an interest in coming back, as was reported in April - this was the time that the Logan rumour came about as well. Coincidentally, that's also the time that the gears started turning again with P&W. So it appears Broccoli was indeed waiting for "our Daniel", as Naomi Harris surmised correctly earlier this year.

Regarding script, as I asked a few weeks back, they can't finalize this without a director because nearly anyone worth their salt will need to have input into it. So they probably have a high level draft and that's it.

BTW - it's my understanding that the first draft of the Dune script has been finished, and Villeneuve has been commenting on that film recently.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

no not really... if filming is set to begin in December 2018 / January 2019, we got plenty of time.. pretty certain by March we should know who the director is - he'll be hired on, and then take whatever P&W have for a script, and will most likely bring in another writer to do polish over it, and tailor it to what he wants - that'll probably take us through the summer (don't forget, all the while the director will be meeting with his DOP, set designers, clothing designers, etc.. that way they all get on the same page with the look and styles he has in mind).. scripts will be sent out, then casting probably wont start until August/September - all the way up until principal is set to start (obviously major roles will be filled first, tertiary roles after that)..

bottom line - things are moving just fine, no cause for concern.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    2de1368c393990be63ac4adf0d5b1584--comedy-tv-army.jpg
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 2,115
    re: script.

Bamigboye reported in early March that Purvis and Wade had been hired. That was confirmed in the July 24 announcement about the release date.

"Working on script" (Broccoli's words) is a little vague. It's possible there might be a first draft that's being reviewed. Or it could mean they're not yet done with a first draft.

Certainly enough time has passed for there to be a first draft. Variety reported in early April that Eric Roth had been hired to write Villeneuve's Dune movie. He has delivered a first draft. That was confirmed by Villeneuve during that recent podcast and by Brian Herbert.

• "Working on script" (Broccoli's words) is a little vague. It's possible there might be a first draft that's being reviewed. Or it could mean they're not yet done with a first draft.

Or Logan's "on" it and they'll check back in with him around February 2019.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just think, here we are, a mere two years distance from SP, and in only one year's time we will be only a year away from seeing a new Bond film.

And just think in the days of old we'd be enjoying a new Bond film in theaters right now!
    Regrettably for some of us, that won't happen again until a few significant changes occur.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I find it interesting that Daniel would sign with no script or director, but particularly a script.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,269
    Just think, here we are, a mere two years distance from SP, and in only one year's time we will be only a year away from seeing a new Bond film.

I wish it was already out. Amazing how Connery ones came out so quickly and that was the best era.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I wish it was already out. Amazing how Connery ones came out so quickly and that was the best era.

Very true.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Maybe I need to be more direct --

It's extremely plausible that Sam Mendes could return for Bond 25 now.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    http://collider.com/sam-mendes-not-directing-pinocchio-disney/
    Of course the first major question here will be, is Mendes leaving Pinocchio to direct Bond 25 and complete his trilogy? The director was an inspired choice to helm Skyfall and crafted one of the best Bond movies ever, and while he returned to direct Spectre, the follow-up didn’t quite match that high bar. There was talk early in the development of Spectre of Mendes directing Bond 24 and 25 back-to-back, but that faded quickly.

Sources tell The Tracking Board that Mendes’ Pinocchio exit isn’t linked to Bond 25, but the next Bond film is indeed heating up.
    Yes, it's plausible, we've established that. But it's not definitive and I don't think it can be claimed, with any degree of certainty, that it's even a likely scenario. It's just there.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mendes was always going to be the most likely director once Craig announced his return. I have been suggesting this for some time now and am surprised that folks didn't (and still don't) recognize this.
    Not to hammer on the same point too much, but let's recall that it was said somewhere (frankly, I don't know if it was a reliable source) that Mendes and Craig had a hard time making Spectre together, creative differences and all that. If this is true, to me it makes perfect sense to think after Spectre, Craig had some sort of man-to-man talk with Barbara Broccoli regarding the problems with the film and the direction of Bond 25, and once they finally agreed on doing things in a certain way from now on, he got excited about the project. For all we know, he requested someone different from Mendes for the film. Then again, it could be that he patched things up with Mendes himself, who is in fact returning, but the point is one could go in either direction with speculation. I don't think it's certain at all that a Mendes return is the reason for Craig's return.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I want Sam Mendes personally. I loved Spectre albeit not as much as SF. Very talented director. At least it looks like Michael Fassbender won't get to be Bond. After Craig leaves I hope the series goes into hibernation for a few years to give the next fella a chance of success. I'd love a 15 rated Bond. With an old Bond in the vein of Logan. That would shake things up a bit. Get Dalton back for a one off. Or just wait 5 to 10 years for Dan to return.

Eeeeee no no to all points there !!

And NO continuity...Bond is not a bloody soap opera,back to standalone only please !!!!

@barryt007 ... i am with you, and want nothing more than a stand alone - but the likelihood of that happening now, with this being Craig's last Bond? i would say the chances of a stand alone adventure in no way connected to the previous 4 films is about 35% at this point... SF was supposed to be a stand alone adventure - but they went through great lengths to somehow tie that into the previous 2 films as well as SP.. there is no way they let Craig's Bond walk with any loose ends that need to be resolved in future films - whether they want to or not at this point, EON have handcuffed their Bond actor to this arch of tight continuity between the films.. Bond 25 will be the final chapter for DC's Bond continuity... i think once Craig is gone, and we get a new actor - we will probably see a tone shift - i just look at how Marvel Studios currently has their formula for their Marvel movies, and can't help but to think EON wants to move in a similar direction... and i stress, not universe building - but just Bond movies in that style - a little lighter - probably a mid 90s Brosnan style again, which to be honest (if it were in a style the same as GE and TND) i wouldn't mind.. just not too much farther than that..
    I don't know, I still think there's nothing unsurmountable preventing them from making a standalone Craig film, a mini-reboot within the Craig era, like FYEO was after MR. As long as it plays to their taste and is marketed adequately, after thirty minutes of watching the film, the audience won't give a damn. They didn't care back in 1971 when they dumped the Tracy story, and even in the Marvel era of today, they won't care much more. At heart, Bond films are not about continuity, but about timeless mythos: the women, the car, the gadgets, the action, the lush settings. As long as you provide that, the audience will come, continuity be damned.

Furthermore, Skyfall dumped the Quantum/Vesper story, and it remains the highest grossing Craig film, which means that the lack of continuity didn't affect it one bit. While watching it, I'm sure not many people were saying "oh, I wanted Bond to find out more about Quantum" or "so what did Bond learn from Greene and Yusef?" They just grabbed their popcorn and watched Bond kill, fight, seduce, bed and drink his way through the movie.
    My guess: Sam Mendes is a backup plan, but they want to find a different director.
    That would make sense.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mendes was always going to be the most likely director once Craig announced his return. I have been suggesting this for some time now and am surprised that folks didn't (and still don't) recognize this.
    Not to hammer on the same point too much, but let's recall that it was said somewhere (frankly, I don't know if it was a reliable source) that Mendes and Craig had a hard time making Spectre together, creative differences and all that. If this is true, to me it makes perfect sense to think after Spectre, Craig had some sort of man-to-man talk with Barbara Broccoli regarding the problems with the film and the direction of Bond 25, and once they finally agreed on doing things in a certain way from now on, he got excited about the project. For all we know, he requested someone different from Mendes for the film. Then again, it could be that he patched things up with Mendes himself, who is in fact returning, but the point is one could go in either direction with speculation. I don't think it's certain at all that a Mendes return is the reason for Craig's return.
    Of course your speculation about man to woman talks with Babs could have happened. I don't recall any comments about creative differences during the making of the film. Just some rumours a few months back by the same rags that have been wrong numerous times before. Irrespective, they were on the circuit promoting the film after its release and Mendes seemed quite charitable in his comments towards Craig. I don't recall Craig's comments at the time, but his wrist cut statement had already stolen the air out of everything he said by that point.

Also, just to clarify, I said most likely and not certain. I still see him as the most likely director of B25, and have done since Craig announced his return. Demange and Mackenzie aren't as likely in my view (I believe they were options when Craig was still dilly dallying). Craig is known to make calls and try to get people to come on board, and that's what he tried to do with Villeneueve, but as we know schedules will not permit it and I don't see it happening at this point. So who will a studio (and Craig) want now? Mendes, if they can get him. The ball is firmly in his court and if I was him, I'd play it all the way to the bank like his co-collaborator has done.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    Bond for the boys, Wonder Woman for the girls, Profits for the studios.

All big films these days try and appeal to women. DC is (or was) a draw in that respect. Adele also drew in the ladies in 2012 big time.

?????????????????????????????????????

Don't understand what your question is? You disagree DC was a draw for the ladies or question that he may have lost a bit of his appeal in that regard?
    Not buying that Craig decided to sign with no director & and an unfinished script? They either know who's helming or are down to 2 choices with one being mendes
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    Not buying that Craig decided to sign with no director & and an unfinished script? They either know who's helming or are down to 2 choices with one being mendes

I'm kind of inclined to agree with you. Unless his B25 paycheck is beyond ridiculous.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I agree. I have little doubt that things are further along than have been revealed.

Maybe so, but perhaps they aren’t 100% decided on certain things. I believe it all starts with having a quality script. If that much gets accomplished, I feel better about the rest.

I understand that making a big budget film is more complicated nowadays than it was back then. But I am baffled at the seeming writer´s block in the script department.

Simple explanation. Purvis and Wade