No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    boldfinger wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just think, here we are, a mere two years distance from SP, and in only one year's time we will be only a year away from seeing a new Bond film.

I wish it was already out. Amazing how Connery ones came out so quickly and that was the best era.
    I understand that making a big budget film is more complicated nowadays than it was back then. But I am baffled at the seeming writer´s block in the script department.

exactly.. @boldfinger

@FoxRox.. there is a lot that goes to making films nowadays than back in the 60s... i mean, i could list off a bunch of major differences... plus, back in the day - they had fresh Fleming material at their disposal - nowadays, with so very little of Fleming material left to mine, stories take a little longer.... but not 4 years long. - thats just absurd. lol.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Just think, here we are, a mere two years distance from SP, and in only one year's time we will be only a year away from seeing a new Bond film.

I wish it was already out. Amazing how Connery ones came out so quickly and that was the best era.
    I understand that making a big budget film is more complicated nowadays than it was back then. But I am baffled at the seeming writer´s block in the script department.

exactly.. @boldfinger

@FoxRox.. there is a lot that goes to making films nowadays than back in the 60s... i mean, i could list off a bunch of major differences... plus, back in the day - they had fresh Fleming material at their disposal - nowadays, with so very little of Fleming material left to mine, stories take a little longer.... but not 4 years long. - thats just absurd. lol.

I understand times have changed, but still it only took 2 years to get from CR to QoS. The fact we had two 4-year waits in the Craig era sucks. 3 years is acceptable, but 4 can definitely be tough. I would think 2-3 is typically enough. I worry we will have another long wait from Bond 25 to Bond 26 when they are figuring out the new actor and all that.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I think directer is already rated and stil think we get two final Daniel Craig Bond movies with a possible Bond 26 in 2022.

If not:

Danny Boyle vs Sam Mendes
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

exactly.. @boldfinger

I understand times have changed, but still it only took 2 years to get from CR to QoS. The fact we had two 4-year waits in the Craig era sucks. 3 years is acceptable, but 4 can definitely be tough. I would think 2-3 is typically enough. I worry we will have another long wait from Bond 25 to Bond 26 when they are figuring out the new actor and all that.

Yeah I agree. Personally I think 2.5 years is the perfect amount of wait time for them to have enough time to put out a quality film and its not too long for us the fans.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    The writing on Bond has been a shambles for years and a large reason that so many of the recent films are so deeply flawed.

Interesting that Maibaum started with the villain's plan and Purvis and Wade approach it from the perspective of Bond's journey.

On writing the Bonds Maibaum said "The real trick of it is to find the villain's caper. Once you've got that, you're off to the races and the rest is fun."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Maibaum

Purvis described their approach when they joined the Bond franchise as to "come in with ideas, things we've found in science magazines, on the internet, interesting weapons and what's happening in technology. Then we find a journey for Bond to go through."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Purvis_and_Robert_Wade

It's very telling that the villain's plan has not been central to most of the P+W entries. It's been a fundamental weakness of most of their writing.

Purvis and Wade don't have what is required - they are mediocre hacks at best. I was massively cheered when EON announced they wouldn't be returning for SP. But then they were brought back at the last minute and we got another dud script.

Not all the blame lies with P+W - they are a symptom, not the cause. EON needs to sort its house out and find a writer/writers of equal talent and consistency as Maibaum. Frankly MGW seems to have been a better writer than this current crop.
    Getafix wrote: »
    The writing on Bond has been a shambles for years and a large reason that so many of the recent films are so deeply flawed.

Interesting that Maibaum started with the villain's plan and Purvis and Wade approach it from the perspective of Bond's journey.

On writing the Bonds Maibaum said "The real trick of it is to find the villain's caper. Once you've got that, you're off to the races and the rest is fun."

Purvis described their approach when they joined the Bond franchise as to "come in with ideas, things we've found in science magazines, on the internet, interesting weapons and what's happening in technology. Then we find a journey for Bond to go through."

It's very telling that the villain's plan has not been central to most of the P+W entries. It's been a fundamental weakness of most of their writing.

Purvis and Wade don't have what is required - they are mediocre hacks at best. I was massively cheered when EON announced they wouldn't be returning for SP. But then they were brought back at the last minute and we got another dud script.

Not all the blame lies with P+W - they are a symptom, not the cause. EON needs to sort its house out and find a writer/writers of equal talent and consistency as Maibaum. Frankly MGW seems to have been a better writer than this current crop.

P&W also recently wrote the BBC TV adaptation of Len Deighton's SS-GB, which was underwhelming and doesn't fill me with confidence.
    For what it's worth, I think Le Chiffre, Mr. White, and Silva are the best villains of the Craig era, and they all have good stories. I will agree that Blofeld was underwhelming SP; certain things about him should have been done differently for sure.
    For what it's worth, I think Le Chiffre, Mr. White, and Silva are the best villains of the Craig era, and they all have good stories. I will agree that Blofeld was underwhelming SP; certain things about him should have been done differently for sure.

Agreed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Maybe so, but perhaps they aren’t 100% decided on certain things. I believe it all starts with having a quality script. If that much gets accomplished, I feel better about the rest.

If you can guarantee me a quality script then I could take Spottiswoode returning. You could have Hitchcock directing SP's script and it still wouldn't be much cop.

exactly.. @boldfinger

You wouldn't mind if more time guaranteed a better film but it's seemingly a total lottery. They took an extra year on SP but for what? When you only check if the script is fit for purpose 5 mins before principal photography starts then you might as well start shooting while the end credits are still rolling on the previous film.

Impossible for any sane person to argue with this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think it's a plausible theory that Craig want Denis, but Denis was committed to Dune, and so they're returning to Mendes. At the end of the day they want what they perceive to be a safe pair of hands, and Mendes Bond films make an average of 950 million US. Plus, inspire of their supposed spat, Craig is more comfortable with Mendes than a lot of other directors. It's an easy fit when they are strapped for time which they clearly are.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Daniel would sign with no script or director, but particularly a script.

Well, he said that when he comes back it would be only for the money, didn't he?
    Also, judging from his movie curriculum, it should be taken as a matter of fact that the last thing he cares for is a script.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Peter Weir is stil avaible..
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Simple explanation. Purvis and Wade

And what is your explanation for the 99% rest of Hollywood's output?
    Almost the last in line of those that should be blamed for the quality of the last Bond movies should be P&W.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,031
    talos7 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Daniel would sign with no script or director, but particularly a script.

Well, he said that when he comes back it would be only for the money, didn't he?
    Also, judging from his movie curriculum, it should be taken as a matter of fact that the last thing he cares for is a script.

Or he's placing his trust in BB and MGW to get a good script and is currently also putting his input into it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I realize the box office has been quite stellar of late, but something tells me the production house needs to do a far better job of keeping things under control.

As we've speculated here, they appear to be very dependent on Craig to get things going. Who insisted on Villeneuve for instance? What happened to Demange and Mackenzie? Why are they potentially off the table? It doesn't appear that they did anything (including hiring P&W) until they got (at least a verbal) indication from Craig during Othello that he was amenable to returning. They appear to have just sat on it until April (except for high level in 2016/early 2017 director discussions), which is when everything started churning.

I also believe he has had significant input into the script, which could reflect his 'high' remarks. The only question is what does he mean by 'high'? Does he feel CR (where he had the least input) is the high of his Bond career or is it SF? That's the question.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes, it does seem that they are very dependent on Craig which really doesn't bode well with me, either. The actor has too much say and control in how things are going over. Isn't he supposed to be an employee? But, that's what Barbara wants for now. She's happy with him. When the next Bond actor comes, I am really hoping he doesn't get as much control over the production as Craig has. Otherwise, we're only going to get a film per decade, which is insulting.
    STOP! 50% of his Bond movies had EXCELLENT screenplays.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I was wondering, for those who know Patrick McGoohan's TV series, The Prisoner... What if we get a Bond film like that? I mean... the premise in John Gardner's continuation novel, Scorpius has an element like that in the latter part of the book, but what if we get a full-on story in a Bond thriller that resembles the story of The Prisoner? It's not formulaic in the slightest and quite unusual/different for Bond.
  • Dennison wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Or he's placing his trust in BB and MGW to get a good script ...

Good luck with that approach!
  • Also, judging from his movie curriculum, it should be taken as a matter of fact that the last thing he cares for is a script.
    STOP! 50% of his Bond movies had EXCELLENT screenplays.

Approved by Panchito Pistoles, the world known authority on storytelling and composing,no less!
  • I was wondering, for those who know Patrick McGoohan's TV series, The Prisoner... What if we get a Bond film like that? I mean... the premise in John Gardner's continuation novel, Scorpius has an element like that in the latter part of the book, but what if we get a full-on story in a Bond thriller that resembles the story of The Prisoner? It's not formulaic in the slightest and quite unusual/different for Bond.

Somewhere in the future, why not? But for now I'm really done with unusual and different for the franchise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I was wondering, for those who know Patrick McGoohan's TV series, The Prisoner... What if we get a Bond film like that? I mean... the premise in John Gardner's continuation novel, Scorpius has an element like that in the latter part of the book, but what if we get a full-on story in a Bond thriller that resembles the story of The Prisoner? It's not formulaic in the slightest and quite unusual/different for Bond.

Somewhere in the future, why not? But for now I'm really done with unusual and different for the franchise.
    I'm afraid you must be prepared to expect at least one more of these sort of entries before we get back on the straight and narrow path.
    Many fans thought SF was too "left field" so goodness knows how they would deal with a "high concept" Bond but I'm up for it.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I'm afraid you must be prepared to expect at least one more of these sort of entries before we get back on the straight and narrow path.

I am prepared. That's why I am unable to feel any enthusiasm for whatever is coming up. By the way, I feel that way since Skyfall so you might say I'm quite trained in it.
    bondjames wrote: »

I am prepared. That's why I am unable to feel any enthusiasm for whatever is coming up. By the way, I feel that way since Skyfall so you might say I'm quite trained in it.

Well, we are up to Page 1190 of Bond 25 pessimism!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,755
    So if we get distributor/director news toward the beginning of 2018 and say the movie starts shooting at the end of 2018, if past movies are anything to go by, when should plot details/rumors start leaking out? Summer? I'm trying to recall when we got our first news about the SPECTRE plot.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So if past movies are anything to go by, when should plot details/rumors start leaking out? Summer? I'm trying to recall when we got our first news about the SPECTRE plot.

First news on the SP plot turning up? I'm still waiting mate.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited November 2017 Posts: 308

I haven't seen The Prisoner so I looked it up... and honestly I think that would be... well, not my cup of tea. Might be good and interesting, but not what I'm looking for in a Bond film (I think). For B25 I wan't a solid by the books entry. :P
    bondjames wrote: »

:'(
    Simple explanation. Purvis and Wade
    No. P & W may have caused havoc, and they may on other occasions have saved the day. They are by no means the problem. What I cannot get my head around is how the producers don´t seem to be able to get anybody to come up with something decent in a decent amount of time.

P&W are decent at best, they are comfortable with Bond & have added some good touches & you can leave them on their own. I think they work better under somebody. i.e Haggis, Butterworth etc.