No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    I don't get why people are opposed to having nolan direct. I think he would make a great Bond movie. Sam Mendes certainly didn't win me over with spectre or skyfall. Give the better guy a try
  • How would you guys and girls react if they announced
    Barbara Broccoli
    as the director of BOND 25? My insect antennae tell me @Gustav_Graves would love the idea. Tell me GG, if I'm wrong!

Ehhh no? :-/
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Gumbold wrote: »
    I don't get why people are opposed to having nolan direct. I think he would make a great Bond movie. Sam Mendes certainly didn't win me over with spectre or skyfall. Give the better guy a try

Quite.

Memento, The Prestige, BB, TDK, Inception, Dunkirk is a phenomenal CV.

Even his slightly lesser efforts such as Insomina, TDKR and Interstellar are still pretty damn good.

A far more impressive body of work than Villeneuve who I hear nothing but praise for.

And from a business perspective he is practically the only director (Spielberg included these days) whose name on the poster can open a film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Absolutely. No previous Bond directors have been names that would draw in a crowd .
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Absolutely. No previous Bond directors have been names that would draw in a crowd .

I suppose that's right. Never thought about that before.

Nolan would be great for Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Indeed. He has a huge fanbase (of which I am one) who will be drawn to the film regardless of cast. That won't be the case with anyone else.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

Indeed. He has a huge fanbase (of which I am one) who will be drawn to the film regardless of cast. That won't be the case with anyone else.

Tarantino.

Tarantino.

Tarantino's films make nowhere near the money Nolan's do. Plus with the fallout from Harveygate I think Quentin will be lying low for a bit.

Tarantino.
    Interesting thought. Yes, he could very well be another one for which this applies.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,423

...Directed by Marc Forester

58cf70b1c96358fd6fa9c90d9f5e8e6119778e1fab32b529e7a8f2051d9718d8
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ...Directed by Marc Forester

58cf70b1c96358fd6fa9c90d9f5e8e6119778e1fab32b529e7a8f2051d9718d8

Actual video of me if that happened.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I would be very interested to see how Nolan would hastily integrate Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Tom Hardy into the bond film.
    Because he almost certainly would...
    Tom Hardy as the henchman probably
    Don’t know about the other two.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I would be very interested to see how Nolan would hastily integrate Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Tom Hardy into the bond film.

One of the reasons Nolan should stay clear of Bond. Those are all good actors but I'm tired of seeing them.
  • I'd happily watch Caine as a stuffy cabinet minister giving Bond his initial briefing. He and Connery share god-like status in my eyes :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Remington wrote: »

One of the reasons Nolan should stay clear of Bond. Those are all good actors but I'm tired of seeing them.

Yeah none of them are much cop.
    I don't see any reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film. He clearly respects the subject matter. And is a director as has been mentioned of high regard, and who can open movies. Nolan and Bond would be a huge coup imo.
    Chuck in Michael Caine in any role and you've potentially got something special.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Benny wrote: »

I don't see any reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film. He clearly respects the subject matter. And is a director as has been mentioned of high regard, and who can open movies. Nolan and Bond would be a huge coup imo.
    Chuck in Michael Caine in any role and you've potentially got something special.
    Michael Caine as James Bond. ;)

He was..he was just called Harry Palmer and was scruffy ;)

barryt007 wrote: »

And underpaid, switched from a foreign intelligence agent to domestic, and was treated like $#!+. ;)
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837

Yeah Nolan's great. The only criticism against him I've seen that actually holds merit is that he's not very good at action but I think he's definitely gotten better. The first Batman vs Bane fight was so hard hitting and atmospheric and he's always good at big, epic setpieces (does them all practically as well). I'd love something as breathtaking as the plane scenes from Dunkirk in Bond 26.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,747

"There are a number of NATO agents embedded in terrorist organizations around the globe. Not many people know that."

And underpaid, switched from a foreign intelligence agent to domestic, and was treated like $#!+. ;)

Sounds like my job.

Sounds like my job.
    At least you don't get to babysit Kara Milovy. ;)

Sounds like my job.

More like babyshit.... :ar!

Sounds like my job.
    *Fake Gasps*

GW650H279
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nolan has two pitfalls. His action scenes can sometimes be a bit unimaginative. And secondly, his scripts tend to be a little exposition heavy. He remedied these with Dunkirk, and to be honest I think he has turned over a new leaf in his career now. From the start Nolan's film got sequentially bigger and more ambitious, peaking with TDK and Inception. TDKR and Interstellar got a bit bloated and I think he made a course correct. He removed a lot of the exposition and with Dunkirk it worked a treat. No doubt he will bring his A game to Bond. It's a big inspiration to him, and he is hoping to "give something back" as he puts it. I think he has a lot of ideas already.

Sounds like my job.
    *Fake Gasps*

GW650H279

TripleFacePalm.jpg

Sounds like my job.
    *Fake Gasps*

GW650H279

TripleFacePalm.jpg
    giphy.gif
    Nolan has two pitfalls. His action scenes can sometimes be a bit unimaginative.

That's my one big worry with Nolan. But at least he does them for real and it's not like we're in the golden Glen era of action as it is. The QOS car chase and SF PTS are decent enough but other than that the last Bond action sequence to blow you away was the CR parkour 11 long years ago and counting.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've never had any problems whatsoever with Nolan's big setpieces.

The truck sequence in TDK and LTK homage at the start of TDKR are two of the best setpiece scenes I've seen in the past twenty years in the theatre. I'm also tremendously impressed with the opening heist & TB homage 'Skyhook' in TDK, Bane/Bat fight in TDKR and countless imaginative scenes in Inception. He sets the mood very well too.

I think we would benefit tremendously from that kind of quality work in a Bond film. It's something Bond used to do so well in the past (they used to lead the pack actually), but unfortunately there's been nothing to write home about for quite some time. The most recent benchmark sequence (imho) was the aerial crane parkour from CR.
    I've never had any problems whatsoever with Nolan's big setpieces.

The truck sequence in TDK and LTK homage at the start of TDKR are two of the best setpiece scenes I've seen in the past twenty years in the theatre. I'm also tremendously impressed with the opening heist & TB homage 'Skyhook' in TDK, Bane/Bat fight in TDKR and countless imaginative scenes in Inception. He sets the mood very well too.

I think we would benefit tremendously from that kind of quality work in a Bond film. It's something Bond used to do so well in the past (they used to lead the pack actually), but unfortunately there's been nothing to write home about for quite some time. The most recent benchmark sequence (imho) was the aerial crane parkour from CR.

Spectre's action was out of this world!