No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 15,818
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I have a feeling Bond 25 will be EON’s final Bond film...
    If that is true, then I'll be owing @PanchitoPistoles two pints.
    I think it's time to reveal the truth: I came from the future. (From 2024, to be precise.) If anyone is interested, here are some details about the medium-term future of the franchise:

- Bond 25 will have a two word title, Denis Villeneuve will direct it, Michael Green (Logan, BR 2049) will polish P & W's script. Returning characters: Bond (duh!), Swann, Leiter, M, Moneypenny, Q.
    - the movie will be the smallest scale Bond film of the Craig era, and will be repeatedly compared to DN by critics & fans; it will be a HUGE critical success, but will arger many Bond fans, and won't perform anywhere as well as SF and SP did at the box office
    - in 2020, BB and MGW will officially announce their retirement from the franchise
    - Bond 26 will be released in 2023 (yes, they will miss the 60th anniversary) and will be witten AND directed by Sir Christopher Nolan (Nolan will receive knighthood in 2022)
    - the basis of Nolan's Bond will be a GENIUS but very simple idea that will make you think "how on Earth has nobody thought about this before??" (Nolan will later reveal in interviews that he has had this idea for a Bond film for over a decade)
    - Bond actor nr. 7 will be a lesser known actor, someone who has worked with Nolan before

I love it! However, my post SP cynicism leads me to predict:

B26 will not be released until 2025, a full decade after SP. Between the very DN like B25 (possibly titled Colonel Sun) and B26, Michael and Barbara have indeed resigned and sold the franchise.
    Christopher Nolan sadly does not end up getting the rights to Bond. It goes to Michael Bay, who creates a new Bond series inspired and influenced by the Transformer Films.
    The first film, another two word title: JAMES BOND casts not a lesser known but probably the biggest name to ever be chosen as 007 upon his casting: Robert Downey Jr. Much will be made in the publicity on him being the first American Bond actor since Barry Nelson (who by 2025 is considered canon). The imdb trivia section for this film will also note that at 60, Downey is the first actor to commence his era as Bond who is actually older than Roger Moore was when he had resigned. But he looks great.
    Downey plays Bond in between Marvel films, thus his 007 looks just like Anthony Stark. In his first outing Q even equips him with a robot like suit that resembles Optimus Prime.
    The film loses traditional elements such as the Bond Theme music, title sequence (seen only at the end), no PTS....well actually the entire movie is a PTS, and the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel will be jokingly referenced in the dialogue akin to the "yellow spandex" line in the first X-Men film.
    Sadly after his 2nd outing in 2027, Downey wisely resigns from the role due to creative difference explaining: "Connery was my Bond growing up and these new films don't quite live up to the classics, FRWL, and GF".
    Michael Bay then casts Shia Lebouf to replace him in 2028 and decides to set the films in the 1950's based off Shia's performance in the iconic Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull. Yes that film gets a resurgence and by 2029 is considered a classic.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think it's time to reveal the truth: I came from the future. (From 2024, to be precise.) If anyone is interested, here are some details about the medium-term future of the franchise:

- Bond 25 will have a two word title, Denis Villeneuve will direct it, Michael Green (Logan, BR 2049) will polish P & W's script. Returning characters: Bond (duh!), Swann, Leiter, M, Moneypenny, Q.
    - the movie will be the smallest scale Bond film of the Craig era, and will be repeatedly compared to DN by critics & fans; it will be a HUGE critical success, but will arger many Bond fans, and won't perform anywhere as well as SF and SP did at the box office
    - in 2020, BB and MGW will officially announce their retirement from the franchise
    - Bond 26 will be released in 2023 (yes, they will miss the 60th anniversary) and will be witten AND directed by Sir Christopher Nolan (Nolan will receive knighthood in 2022)
    - the basis of Nolan's Bond will be a GENIUS but very simple idea that will make you think "how on Earth has nobody thought about this before??" (Nolan will later reveal in interviews that he has had this idea for a Bond film for over a decade)
    - Bond actor nr. 7 will be a lesser known actor, someone who has worked with Nolan before

B26 will not be released until 2015, a full decade after SP. Between the very DN like B25 (possibly titled Colonel Sun) and B26, Michael and Barbara have indeed resigned and sold the franchise.
    Christopher Nolan sadly does not end up getting the rights to Bond. It goes to Michael Bay, who creates a new Bond series inspired and influenced by the Transformer Films.
    The first film, another two word title: JAMES BOND casts not a lesser known but probably biggest name to ever be chosen as 007 upon his casting: Robert Downey Jr. Much will be made in the publicity on him being the first American Bond actor since Barry Nelson (who by 2025 is considered canon). The imdb trivia section for this film will also note that at 60, Downey is the first actor to commence his era as Bond who is actually older than Roger Moore was when he had resigned. But he looks great.
    Downey plays Bond in between Marvel films, thus his 007 looks just like Anthony Stark. In his first outing Q even equips him with a robot like suit that resembles Optimus Prime.
    The film loses traditional elements such as the Bond Theme music, title sequence (seen only at the end), no PTS....well actually the entire movie is a PTS, and the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel will be jokingly referenced in the dialogue akin to the "yellow spandex" line in the first X-Men film.
    Sadly after his 2nd outing in 2027, Downey wisely resigns from the role due to creative difference explaining: "Connery was my Bond growing up and these new films don't quite live up to the classics, FRWL, and GF".
    Michael Bay then casts Shia Lebouf to replace him in 2028 and decides to set the films in the 1950's based off Shia's performance in the iconic Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull. Yes that film gets a resurgence and by 2029 is considered a classic.

If only ...
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Annapurna also use Entertainment One to distribute globally. Annapurna also produced Zero Dark Thirty and distributed Kathryn Bigelow's film Detroit. But with the names in the running for Bond, I can not see Annapurna being the winning bidder. I think this announcement is more to do with other planned MGM projects.

B26 will not be released until 2015, a full decade after SP. Between the very DN like B25 (possibly titled Colonel Sun) and B26, Michael and Barbara have indeed resigned and sold the franchise.
    The first film, another two word title: JAMES BOND casts not a lesser known but probably biggest name to ever be chosen as 007 upon his casting: Robert Downey Jr. Much will be made in the publicity on him being the first American Bond actor since Barry Nelson (who by 2025 is considered canon). The imdb trivia section for this film will also note that at 60, Downey is the first actor to commence his era as Bond who is actually older than Roger Moore was when he had resigned. But he looks great.

What a disaster....
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »

What a disaster....
    Makes Kara Milovy seem like a masterful creation, eh? ;)

What a disaster....

Oooh I wouldn't go that far ;)

What a disaster....

I would :)

What a disaster....

Not in a Soviet airbase in Afghanistan, anyway. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RE: Distribution, I still think it's more likely to be Sony, Warner, or both. They both took care of BR2049 which was directed by you know who.
    I would prefer WB.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Here's what I want. Either:

1) Bring in Campbell for a dialled back reboot in 2022.

2) or EON should sell up and hand over to Warner who can make a Christopher Nolan Bond trilogy in 2022.

As long as one of these happens they can send Bond to Mars in Bond 25 for all I care.
    Campbell won't be young enough in 2022.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I've said before, I'm perfectly fine with a sale. I've not been all that satisfied with the consistency of product over the last 20 years, and would prefer a return to a more regimented and assembly line approach as in the past. Bond is not high art.

I think Marvel is unfairly critiqued around these parts. They have done an excellent job in bringing their entire portfolio to screen over the past 10 years. The only other person who has done it so well has been Nolan.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'll be fine with that, as long as he doesn't screw it up. He'd better bring his A game and not try to be what he's clearly not.

But with what he is you don't get a GF or TSWLM.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think Marvel is unfairly critiqued around these parts. They have done an excellent job in bringing their entire portfolio to screen over the past 10 years. .

Not quite.
    I'll be fine with that, as long as he doesn't screw it up. He'd better bring his A game and not try to be what he's clearly not.

But with what he is you don't get a GF or TSWLM.
    That's certainly my view, but others seem to disagree. If they give the film just a little more CR style grit than those two classics had it could work. There is a way to pull it off, but it requires a deft touch. The tone has to be perfectly handled.

As mentioned previously, my biggest concern in such a scenario is him. I would be much less concerned if someone told me B25 was going to be a Logan style angst driven finale because I know he can pull that off with ease.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »

A vision truly fit for Halloween!
    I think Marvel is unfairly critiqued around these parts. They have done an excellent job in bringing their entire portfolio to screen over the past 10 years. .

Not quite.
    Perhaps, but more than good enough for my money, given the magnitude of what they have been able to achieve in a short time.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 386
    For me, Craig proved he could do the savoir faire thing in CR.

Montenegro is my favourite DC sequence and the one that demonstrates that if he is placed in the right location and surrounded by the right actors, he can do Moore-style lifestyle porn on his ear.

Forster didn't allow QoS to breathe enough for this type of element (to its detriment) and I don't believe Mendes truly understood what Bondian elegance is all about.

It's about stuffing yourself with caviar after winning millions at poker, not stilted exercises in lush cinematography.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Very well said GetCarter. There's some real lightness of touch in those sections.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Gumbold wrote: »
    Gumbold wrote: »
    I can't get over the fact that they made bond and blofeld brothers. It really kind of ruined james bond for me. Plus daniel craig hasn't been awaken since quantum of solace. Please for the love of god get rid of him
    Wait till they make Irma Bunt Blofeld's daughter.

Frankly, anything is possible now. The producers are liable to do anything. It's like they don't give a shit

They have handled a number of things in a sloppy way, but I wouldn't at all say they don't care. The brother idea was a misguided and poorly-executed attempt to psychoanalyze Bond, but as much of a rehash from Skyfall as it may have been, I acknowledge it came from an attempt to do something distinctive with Bond, or at least more distinctive than the pre-2006 entries. I doubt they approached the brother concept in a cynical "let's just replace the mother with the brother and we're done" way.

I know it’s becoming the less popular thing, but I still mostly enjoy SP. The last third is sloppy, as is a fair amount of the story, but there’s just far too much in it that I like for me to totally condemn it. I had a pretty good time with it last night. The three things I dislike most were: making Silva a SPECTRE agent, making Blofeld Bond’s foster brother (not the worst thing ever, but just a fail at trying to make it more personal), and the predictable climax. Waltz’s Blofed is not a great villain, but certainly overhated. I love how SPECTRE as an organization is portrayed - very powerful and Illuminati-esque. For me, a decent but admittedly flawed Bond outing.

They have written themselves into a corner sort of; I think standalone is the right way to go for the next one. Either that, or a continuation but with a lot less callbacks at least.

Flaws and all, I enjoy it very much myself. Second favorite of the Craig era after CR. It feels more inviting than the two previous films, and it's funnier too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    As I've said before, I'm perfectly fine with a sale. I've not been all that satisfied with the consistency of product over the last 20 years, and would prefer a return to a more regimented and assembly line approach as in the past. Bond is not high art.

I think Marvel is unfairly critiqued around these parts. They have done an excellent job in bringing their entire portfolio to screen over the past 10 years. The only other person who has done it so well has been Nolan.

The Marvel and Nolan films are similarly soulless.
  • echo wrote: »

The Marvel and Nolan films are similarly soulless.

There's nothing soulless about Nolan's movies. They're the exact opposite of those assembly line type films.
    Nolan's films aren't soulless. On the contrary.

They're just too depressing. That's the issue with his films.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119

That's not the issue. That's all a matter of opinion. For me the nice thing about Nolan-movies are the fact that they want to tell us something, that you can discuss the purpose of the film afterwards, that you can talk about the themes and tropes of the film, and that afterwards you realize that the world we live in today is perhaps much better and more positive than the world mentioned in "The Dark Knight", "Interstellar" or "Dunkirk"....and that by realizing that you actually look at the real world with a nice positive smile :-).

But again, that's my personal taste. I just don't want to see dumb, mindless action for the sake of action. And for the sake of CGI. Which is really my 'personal issue' with films like "Furious 8", "Die Another Day" and "Kingsman 2".

That's not the issue. That's all a matter of opinion. For me the nice thing about Nolan-movies are the fact that they want to tell us something, that you can discuss the purpose of the film afterwards, that you can talk about the themes and tropes of the film, and that afterwards you realize that the world we live in today is perhaps much better and more positive than the world mentioned in "The Dark Knight", "Interstellar" or "Dunkirk"....and that by realizing that you actually look at the real world with a nice positive smile :-).

But again, that's my personal taste. I just don't want to see dumb, mindless action for the sake of action. And for the sake of CGI. Which is really my 'personal issue' with films like "Furious 8", "Die Another Day" and "Kingsman 2".
    And the latter part is your opinion, Gustav. Things don't have to "dumb" as you put it, but they don't have to be that depressing like Nolan's films, either. It certainly is an issue. When I go to the theatres, I want to be entertained with a smile on my face. Not come out with my hand placed on my heart in awe looking at life and analyzing it. I don't need to dig deep further into life. It only gets better when you treat yourself for your own person with a positive point of view. Films don't have to tell you that, and neither does any other person. And it only gets negative if you want it to be. Same appliance.

The Nolan films, with their depressive attitudes towards life, try to tell people how ingenious the storylines he delivers are, whereas it isn't. He's not the inventor of Rubik's Cube nor crosswords. Every film is depicted with the sense that Armageddon has occurred and the world is ending with a bleak, dark and depressing tone. That's not what I want from a Bond film. We've got Shakespeare for tragedy and other theatrical dramas.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well freaking said. Keep Nolan away from Bond at all costs.
  • Murdock wrote: »

I hope Nolan will become Bond director after Daniel Craig retires. Would be interesting to see how he revives the franchise with a new Bond actor. Try to stay open-minded. Try not to rule out things so early.
    Murdock wrote: »

I hope Nolan will become Bond director after Daniel Craig retires. Would be interesting to see how he revives the franchise with a new Bond actor. Try to stay open-minded. Try not to rule out things so early.
    Opposite things don't happen, you know? We know his directorial style. He'll make another Inception out of Bond. "Open-minded" isn't as extensive as you think it is.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Good for you, I hope he doesn't. I don't like what he brings to his films and hope he never directs a Bond film. I don't have to be open minded because I see the same basic elements in all of Nolan's films that just ends up being sappy melodrama I don't care about. If I want depressing drama I'll watch Magnolia. I want entertainment and excitement in my Bond films. I want to feel excited and pumped up, not sad and deflated like a popped balloon.