No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I would be very interested to see how Nolan would hastily integrate Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Tom Hardy into the bond film.
    Because he almost certainly would...
    Tom Hardy as the henchman probably
    Don’t know about the other two.
    Tom Hardy as Q.
    Cilian Murphy as M.
    Michael Caine as Bond´s father, who else.

Benny wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film. He clearly respects the subject matter.
    He clearly respects the subject matter as much as Mendes.

And is a director as has been mentioned of high regard, and who can open movies. Nolan and Bond would be a huge coup imo.
    Chuck in Michael Caine in any role and you've potentially got something special.
    Coup and Special perhaps in a financial sense. As far as quality goes, let alone entertainment, I only see unjustified hype.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I would be very interested to see how Nolan would hastily integrate Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Tom Hardy into the bond film.
    kingsman-the-secret-service-lg.jpg

"James..." (breathes heavily) "I aaaaam yoooour faaaaaather."

Sam Mendes would do it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »

One of the reasons Nolan should stay clear of Bond. Those are all good actors but I'm tired of seeing them.

Yeah none of them are much cop.
    I don't see any reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film. He clearly respects the subject matter. And is a director as has been mentioned of high regard, and who can open movies. Nolan and Bond would be a huge coup imo.
    Chuck in Michael Caine in any role and you've potentially got something special.
    Michael Caine as James Bond. ;)

He was..he was just called Harry Palmer and was scruffy ;)
    And underpaid, switched from a foreign intelligence agent to domestic, and was treated like $#!+. ;)

Sounds like my job.
    At least you don't get to babysit Kara Milovy. ;)

More like babyshit.... :ar!

Barry have you noticed the shadow of Kara follows you around every thread? Whatever you do, wherever you go, someone brings up the subject of the lovely Russian cellist as a sort of threat, or promise.
    NicNac wrote: »

One of the reasons Nolan should stay clear of Bond. Those are all good actors but I'm tired of seeing them.

I don't see any reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film. He clearly respects the subject matter. And is a director as has been mentioned of high regard, and who can open movies. Nolan and Bond would be a huge coup imo.

He was..he was just called Harry Palmer and was scruffy ;)
    And underpaid, switched from a foreign intelligence agent to domestic, and was treated like $#!+. ;)

Sounds like my job.
    At least you don't get to babysit Kara Milovy. ;)

More like babyshit.... :ar!

Barry have you noticed the shadow of Kara follows you around every thread? Whatever you do, wherever you go, someone brings up the subject of the lovely Russian cellist as a sort of threat, or promise.

Bloody hell Nackers don't you start as well !! ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Or Michael Caine as Hans Oberhauser in flasbacks starring kid versions of Bond and Franz.
    Walecs wrote: »

Or Michael Caine as Hans Oberhauser in flasbacks starring kid versions of Bond and Franz.
    Cuckoo, Sr's glory days? :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dennison wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've never had any problems whatsoever with Nolan's big setpieces.

The truck sequence in TDK and LTK homage at the start of TDKR are two of the best setpiece scenes I've seen in the past twenty years in the theatre. I'm also tremendously impressed with the opening heist & TB homage 'Skyhook' in TDK, Bane/Bat fight in TDKR and countless imaginative scenes in Inception. He sets the mood very well too.

I think we would benefit tremendously from that kind of quality work in a Bond film. It's something Bond used to do so well in the past (they used to lead the pack actually), but unfortunately there's been nothing to write home about for quite some time. The most recent benchmark sequence (imho) was the aerial crane parkour from CR.

Spectre's action was out of this world!

I don't know what is more insane: that statement or Bazza's bizarre aversion to the seductive charms of the gorgeous Ms D'Abo.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162

Sam Mendes would do it.

Without even blinking.
    They would reveal (in the most mellow dramatic way of course) that his parents faked their death so that he could go deep cover in Russia and keep the world from destruction. His mother by the way became wonder woman.

Sam Mendes would do it.

Without even blinking.
    It'd be "his homage to Star Wars. A classic."
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've never had any problems whatsoever with Nolan's big setpieces.

The truck sequence in TDK and LTK homage at the start of TDKR are two of the best setpiece scenes I've seen in the past twenty years in the theatre. I'm also tremendously impressed with the opening heist & TB homage 'Skyhook' in TDK, Bane/Bat fight in TDKR and countless imaginative scenes in Inception. He sets the mood very well too.

I think we would benefit tremendously from that kind of quality work in a Bond film. It's something Bond used to do so well in the past (they used to lead the pack actually), but unfortunately there's been nothing to write home about for quite some time. The most recent benchmark sequence (imho) was the aerial crane parkour from CR.

Spectre's action was out of this world!

I don't know what is more insane: that statement or Bazza's bizarre aversion to the seductive charms of the gorgeous Ms D'Abo.

It's a close run thing!
    I probably dislike Spectre more than anyone else here, but this Mendes hate has to stop. American Beauty, Road to Perdition, and Skyfall are truly sublime movies. Name one Bond director who has a better filmography than Mendes does. I'll wait.
    I probably dislike Spectre more than anyone else here, but this Mendes hate has to stop. American Beauty, Road to Perdition, and Skyfall are truly sublime movies. Name one Bond director who has a better filmography than Mendes does. I'll wait.

I hate Mendes.
  • I probably dislike Spectre more than anyone else here, but this Mendes hate has to stop. American Beauty, Road to Perdition, and Skyfall are truly sublime movies. Name one Bond director who has a better filmography than Mendes does. I'll wait.

Ufff, your comment was very much needed. Thanks @PanchitoPistoles. Sam Mendes earns a bit more respect from us. If other potential Bond directors would read this topic they would most certainly get scared and ignore EON's call to become the next Bond director.

I hate Mendes.

:)) Shit stirrer .. ;)

I hate Mendes.

:)) Shit stirrer .. ;)

uh?

Ufff, your comment was very much needed. Thanks @PanchitoPistoles. Sam Mendes earns a bit more respect from us. If other potential Bond directors would read this topic they would most certainly get scared and ignore EON's call to become the next Bond director.

This comment is great!
    So, in conclusion, Annapurna has a deal with MGM but it doesn't extend to Bond. We could safely say it won't be them co-financing/distributing the next film and I'm glad it won't be them.

...Well, if they are, more power to them.

Lewis Gilbert - Reach For The Sky, Carve Her Name With Pride, Alfie, YOLT, TSWLM, MR, Educating Rita and loads of others I've never even seen.

Sam Mendes has directed 7 films in his whole career and only American Beauty, Road to Pedition and probably SF have any chance of standing the test of time. And remember the guy also has to declare SP on his CV too so let's not pretend he's somehow the new Hitchcock or Spielberg.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,031

Lewis Gilbert - Reach For The Sky, Carve Her Name With Pride, Alfie, YOLT, TSWLM, MR, Educating Rita and loads of others I've never even seen.

Sam Mendes has directed 7 films in his whole career and only American Beauty, Road to Pedition and probably SF have any chance of standing the test of time. And remember the guy also has to declare SP on his CV too so let's not pretend he's somehow the new Hitchcock or Spielberg.

Don't forget Sink the Bismarck! and The Admirable Crichton.

Ok, and how many Lewis Gilbert movies have stood the test of time? One (TSWLM). Maybe two, if you count Alfie.

Ok, and how many Lewis Gilbert movies have stood the test of time? One (TSWLM). Maybe two, if you count Alfie.

How dare you.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I'll take Terence Young's DN, FRWL, TB over Mendes best work.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    I'll take Terence Young's DN, FRWL, TB over Mendes best work.

And Glen's FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK while we're at it.
  • I probably dislike Spectre more than anyone else here, but this Mendes hate has to stop. American Beauty, Road to Perdition, and Skyfall are truly sublime movies. Name one Bond director who has a better filmography than Mendes does. I'll wait.

You know you may get your pants wet day and night about him, but you may except the fact that there are some people less thrilled with him. And rightly so I might add. After all this is the man that managed to make a gangster movie based on a great comic featuring an extremely creepy villain, filmed by an extraordinary gifted DoP and Paul Newman in his last role a bore fest extraordinaire. In case you didn't know he made two terrible Bond movies as well by the way.

You know you may get your pants wet day and night about him, but you may except the fact that there are some people less thrilled with him. And rightly so I might add. After all this is the man that managed to make a gangster movie based on a great comic featuring an extremely creepy villain, filmed by an extraordinary gifted DoP and Paul Newman in his last role a bore fest extraordinaire. In case you didn't know he made two terrible Bond movies as well by the way.

One excellent and one not so excellent ;)

Harsh.
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

One excellent and one not so excellent ;)

Your mileage may vary.
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.

I agree but personally would reverse the analysis of SF and SP.

If the man's a sham I find it odd that one minute he's hailed as a genius and the next an incompetent fraud. And people are still insisting SF is somehow a magnitude better than SP.

The films are cut from the same cloth. Overlong, incoherent and badly written. They're companion pieces in the recent history of Bond mediocrity.
    Getafix wrote: »
    If the man's a sham I find it odd that one minute he's hailed as a genius and the next an incompetent fraud. And people are still insisting SF is somehow a magnitude better than SP.

The films are cut from the same cloth. Overlong, incoherent and badly written. They're companion pieces in the recent history of Bond mediocrity.

I don't think anyone hails him as a genius do they?

He did his best with SF and it's a very good (despite being shoddily written too) entry but he was spent with SP.

They are certainly cut from the same cloth but whereas SF had free reign on that nice, fresh piece of cloth SP is just the offcuts hamfistedly stitched together.

And lest we forget the cringeworthy but always hilarious epitaph of Mendes' Bondian career:

(Jump to 00.52 for the money shot as Sam shoots his wad.)