No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Mendes added a great film to the series - to me it‘s Skyfall, Spectre to others. But I don‘t think he deserves the hate. In my opinion he just had done all he can with SF.

He and Logan made Bond human. That was something not every fan was going to be happy with. I remember at the time it being questioned about doing a back story and taking the mystery out of the international man of mystery.

Yeah, surely it's bonds humanity that makes some of us despise SF. Probably that "sorry for the good scotch" humanity he displays in the movie. Plenty laughable opinion of yours. Just for your information - bond has been human since OHMSS, and you don't find too many Bond fans that complain about it.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. Also remind you that apart from some die hards the general view of OHMSS is that it was a lame duck of the franchise and Lazenby not really held in high regard. Often tagged "the one where gets married, what's it called".

And the 'general view' is utter bullshit.

Not sure what your point is exactly but having a dig at OHMSS is certainly a very bold strategy.

General observation of how the film was viewed at the time and by the audience outwith forums. Many outside of fandom can even now cant remember Lazenby names he's often been "The Australian fella" and "the guy who was Bond in the one he got marrried". My original point was the personal approach back then didn't go down too well either after Connery cruel portrayal.
    Mendes added a great film to the series - to me it‘s Skyfall, Spectre to others. But I don‘t think he deserves the hate. In my opinion he just had done all he can with SF.

He and Logan made Bond human. That was something not every fan was going to be happy with. I remember at the time it being questioned about doing a back story and taking the mystery out of the international man of mystery.

Yeah, surely it's bonds humanity that makes some of us despise SF. Probably that "sorry for the good scotch" humanity he displays in the movie. Plenty laughable opinion of yours. Just for your information - bond has been human since OHMSS, and you don't find too many Bond fans that complain about it.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one.

I see your proverbs are just as original and distinguished as your thinking.
    I'm impressed.

Nothing but a keyboard warrior.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one.

I see your proverbs are just as original and distinguished as your thinking.
    I'm impressed.

Nothing but a keyboard warrior.

Oh Hilly. Do something more productive.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hate mendes because he took bond in the wrong direction. The series was going so well in the new serious age of films like CR and QOS, with real stories and real characters and a real bond getting bashed in the head and actually bleeding. It was almost fleming for a a new age with a solid bond carrying the film, no Scooby gang bull shit. And then they just went in the opposite diresction with the last two entrys, both of which are directed by mendes. So he is a complete failure to me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2017 Posts: 16,334
    delete.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,756
    SF actually didn't have so many plot holes. There are moments in the movie where it asks you to suspend your disbelief to a lengthy extent, but other than that, it remains solid imo.

Mendes is a good director. SF is a good movie. But like any artist who becomes full of themselves and let themselves go, your ego turns into a 1990s Brando.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I hate mendes because he took bond in the wrong direction. The series was going so well in the new serious age of films like CR and QOS, with real stories and real characters and a real bond getting bashed in the head and actually bleeding. It was almost fleming for a a new age with a solid bond carrying the film, no Scooby gang bull shit. And then they just went in the opposite diresction with the last two entrys, both of which are directed by mendes. So he is a complete failure to me.

These are basically my thoughts although I've come to enjoy SF. Probably because nostalgia is starting to set in.

After having SF as a one off, I would have sacked Mendes and continue doing films in the style of CR and QOS. I just love how different they are compared to the 62-02 films. In the years to come when I look back on the Craig era, I'm gonna think of those two films. They make a hell of a double feature.

And I'm still bummed we didn't get a film in 2010. That way we could've seen Craig's Bond in his prime.
    I mentioned this before, but I think one huge reason why CR and SF work as Craig's best Bond films is that they both can stand on their own as well as within Craig's Bond continuity, whereas QoS and SP require seeing his other outings. I'm hopeful his fifth/final (I assume) film can be like CR and SF in that way.
    Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. Also remind you that apart from some die hards the general view of OHMSS is that it was a lame duck of the franchise and Lazenby not really held in high regard. Often tagged "the one where gets married, what's it called".
    The "general view" has changed at lot due to the reeducation via the internet. It's true that there was a misconception that OHMSS didn't perform all that well that was put out by Michael G. Wilson on some of those DVD Special Feature documentaries. Why he made such an inaccurate statement is anybody's guess. Maybe Eon were still trying to distance themselves from their bastard offspring? Any case, there are plenty of archive pieces that dispel this myth. Take a look at this documentary from February 4th, 1970 at the 1:20 mark. It mentions some critics bad-mouthing Lazenby, but it DOES state "in-spite of the critics it was a fantastic box-office success" and that "In America Mr Lazenby has been voted the most-promising newcomer of the year."

I still find it strange that there are people out there that still believe OHMSS was a flop. Having said that, anyone who brings up this falsehood as a fact is only keeping this dumb fabrication alive, @SirHilaryBray, and should know better.
  • From what I understand Cubby and Harry were basically taking it in turns by that point and OHMSS was very much Harry's film, so that could be why EON attempted to distance themselves @bondsum. Not sure where I remember reading that though so I might be misremembering and talking out of of my arse.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The "general view" has changed at lot due to the reeducation via the internet. It's true that there was a misconception that OHMSS didn't perform all that well that was put out by Michael G. Wilson on some of those DVD Special Feature documentaries. Why he made such an inaccurate statement is anybody's guess. Maybe Eon were still trying to distance themselves from their bastard offspring? Any case, there are plenty of archive pieces that dispel this myth. Take a look at this documentary from February 4th, 1970 at the 1:20 mark. It mentions some critics bad-mouthing Lazenby, but it DOES state "in-spite of the critics it was a fantastic box-office success" and that "In America Mr Lazenby has been voted the most-promising newcomer of the year."

I still find it strange that there are people out there that still believe OHMSS was a flop. Having said that, anyone who brings up this falsehood as a fact is only keeping this dumb fabrication alive, @SirHilaryBray, and should know better.

Nothing fabrication at all. As I said those who enjoy a Bond movie, but not necessarily fans or die hard followers are simply not too bothered about Lazenby or OHMSS. Sorry if that offends you but it's the truth many can't remember anything other than he gets married or that Lazenby was Australian. That's nothing to do with EON spin, the crowd wanted Connery and after his return for DAF, OHMSS was "the one we don't talk about". Craig's take has raised OHMSS appreciation for the films emotional aspects.

FYI I personally love the film FYI
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 386
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.

Seriously good post.

I would also add that Mendes put a complete stop to the momentum Craig had generated over CR and QoS.

Oh what could've been if we'd gone all GF or TSWLM for Craig's third entry instead of some turgid nonsense about Bond facing his mortality.

I still find that theme inconceivable after Bond finally put his growing pains to bed in QoS and minted himself as a fully fledged 00.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.

I like to see the love for the 80s films. It's my favorite decade of Bond.

GetCarter wrote: »

Seriously good post.

I would also add that Mendes put a complete stop to the momentum Craig had generated over CR and QoS.

Oh what could've been if we'd gone all GF or TSWLM for Craig's third entry instead of some turgid nonsense about Bond facing his mortality.

I still find that theme inconceivable after Bond finally put his growing pains to bed in QoS and minted himself as a fully fledged 00.

Who came up with that idea, anyway? Was it him?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    From what I understand Cubby and Harry were basically taking it in turns by that point and OHMSS was very much Harry's film, so that could be why EON attempted to distance themselves @bondsum. Not sure where I remember reading that though so I might be misremembering and talking out of of my arse.

Pretty sure that only started with LALD and TMWTGG with Harry doing the former and Cubby the latter.

Nothing fabrication at all. As I said those who enjoy a Bond movie, but not necessarily fans or die hard followers are simply not too bothered about Lazenby or OHMSS. Sorry if that offends you but it's the truth many can't remember anything other than he gets married or that Lazenby was Australian. That's nothing to do with EON spin, the crowd wanted Connery and after his return for DAF, OHMSS was "the one we don't talk about". Craig's take has raised OHMSS appreciation for the films emotional aspects.

You are completely correct and I'm not offended in the slightest. But to most of the public all Bond films are interchangeable and 99% couldn't tell you which films had the submarine car or the volcano base or Jaws. At least George is remembered for his one off status and getting married. I'd say the general public barely remember Dalton's reign at all.

The only thing I'm confused about is why we should give the slightest toss about the public's opinion in the first place?
  • Yes, @mattjoes, the 80s is easily my favorite decade for Bond.
    From what I understand Cubby and Harry were basically taking it in turns by that point and OHMSS was very much Harry's film, so that could be why EON attempted to distance themselves @bondsum. Not sure where I remember reading that though so I might be misremembering and talking out of of my arse.

Pretty sure that only started with LALD and TMWTGG with Harry doing the former and Cubby the latter.

You are completely correct and I'm not offended in the slightest. But to most of the public all Bond films are interchangeable and 99% couldn't tell you which films had the submarine car or the volcano base or Jaws. At least George is remembered for his one off status and getting married. I'd say the general public barely remember Dalton's reign at all.

The only thing I'm confused about is why we should give the slightest toss about the public's opinion in the first place?

Because of they don't got to cinemas then Studios won't make the films. Simple economics and cold harsh reality of the industry.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2017 Posts: 8,684
    [/quote]

Well, @TheWizardOfIce , not to be condescending, but Cubby did say: if the films make a dollar, there’ll be another.

It’s the public who makes sure the films “make a dollar”; and therefore the public interest should be taken into serious consideration.

As an add on: whether we like Dalton or not, one more film with him and the tickets bought to his third film would have been more abysmal than LTK. And that’s not good for the franchise— whether we like that reality or not.

Getting Brosnan at the time was a smart business decision— and as some ppl in the know would tell you, he auditioned very strongly for TLD.

Keeping Craig now is the same as getting Brosnan: smart. Ppl buy tickets for DC’s Bond.

Whether you agree or not, the public opinion counts more than our fan-wankery.
  • The Bond films with the biggest, most inexcusable plot-holes are YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and MOONRAKER.

Anybody who loves those two films, yet despises SF and SP because of "plot holes", is a bloody hypocrite.

Laughably so.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The Bond films with the biggest, most inexcusable plot-holes are YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and MOONRAKER.

Anybody who loves those two films, yet despises SF and SP because of "plot holes", is a bloody hypocrite.

Laughably so.

That’s not entirely correct. I by no means have those movies high on my ranking but, they are fun and it’s okay if they are a bit outlandish and don’t make entire sense. However with the Craig films they have asked us as an audience to buy into a real world universe. This helped to reinvent the franchise but a side effect is that now the plots have to be more solid. You cant have a real world gritty bond but a silly laughable plot. That’s what makes the mendes bond films exceptionally disappointing
    Getafix wrote: »
    If the man's a sham I find it odd that one minute he's hailed as a genius and the next an incompetent fraud. And people are still insisting SF is somehow a magnitude better than SP.

The films are cut from the same cloth. Overlong, incoherent and badly written. They're companion pieces in the recent history of Bond mediocrity.

I don't think anyone hails him as a genius do they?

He did his best with SF and it's a very good (despite being shoddily written too) entry but he was spent with SP.

They are certainly cut from the same cloth but whereas SF had free reign on that nice, fresh piece of cloth SP is just the offcuts hamfistedly stitched together.

And lest we forget the cringeworthy but always hilarious epitaph of Mendes' Bondian career:

(Jump to 00.52 for the money shot as Sam shoots his wad.)

I see SF hailed a masterpiece on here constantly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If SF is a masterpiece, then we know the bar of standards has been vastly lowered.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138

Because of they don't got to cinemas then Studios won't make the films. Simple economics and cold harsh reality of the industry.
    If SF is a masterpiece, then we know the bar of standards has been vastly lowered.

Clark standard dropped after OHMSS. Then again after LALD until Octopussy and then to Dalton. Then again after Goldeneye. Truth is a first outing tends to be the best (Connery the exception) the more films one actor does the more diluted their original portrayal becomes and gradually more over the top and ridiculous.
    True. If there's one Bond film that's a masterpiece, that's Goldfinger. And I'm using the word "masterpiece" liberally here. If we're being truthful, no Bond film comes close to being a masterpiece.
    True. If there's one Bond film that's a masterpiece, that's Goldfinger. And I'm using the word "masterpiece" liberally here. If we're being truthful, no Bond film comes close to being a masterpiece.

FRWL closest for me. It ouzes elegance and is well balanced between story and action.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423

FRWL closest for me. It ouzes elegance and is well balanced between story and action.
    Could be. But, that's a personal preference, Hilary. FRWL is actually in my Top Ten. But, other than Goldfinger, no Bond film is spoken of as a cultural phenomenon, let alone a masterpiece by cinephiles. No Bond film is looked at as greatly as Casablanca, Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane, for example. 'Masterpieces' in my opinion died roughly around 40 years ago, with Kubrick being one of the last ones to deliver one.

Could be. But, that's a personal preference, Hilary. FRWL is actually in my Top Ten. But, other than Goldfinger, no Bond film is spoken of as a cultural phenomenon, let alone a masterpiece by cinephiles. No Bond film is looked at as greatly as Casablanca, Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane, for example. 'Masterpieces' in my opinion died roughly around 40 years ago, with Kubrick being one of the last ones to deliver one.

Oh I agree the proper "Silverscreen" Lawrence of Arabia etc. I'm with you.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117

peter wrote: »
    Well, @TheWizardOfIce , not to be condescending, but Cubby did say: if the films make a dollar, there’ll be another.

It’s the public who makes sure the films “make a dollar”; and therefore the public interest should be taken into serious consideration.

As an add on: whether we like Dalton or not, one more film with him and the tickets bought to his third film would have been more abysmal than LTK. And that’s not good for the franchise— whether we like that reality or not.

Getting Brosnan at the time was a smart business decision— and as some ppl in the know would tell you, he auditioned very strongly for TLD.

Keeping Craig now is the same as getting Brosnan: smart. Ppl buy tickets for DC’s Bond.

Whether you agree or not, the public opinion counts more than our fan-wankery.

Thanks for illuminating me as to how the film business works chaps.

What I was confused about was how a discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of Mendes suddenly became a question of chasing box office dollar. Are people advocating that Mendes is good for Bond simply because he's raked in 2bn in the last two films?

Tamahori made a decent wedge back in the day and the general public lapped it up so were they wrong to change direction then?

There is a price far above rubies, or even Sam's billion pounds.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The Bond films with the biggest, most inexcusable plot-holes are YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and MOONRAKER.

Laughably so.

Obviously you ( like so many people here ) are not aware what exactly constitutes a plot hole.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Clark standard dropped after OHMSS. Then again after LALD until Octopussy and then to Dalton. Then again after Goldeneye. Truth is a first outing tends to be the best (Connery the exception) the more films one actor does the more diluted their original portrayal becomes and gradually more over the top and ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't regard Dr No, LALD or TLD as their actor's best.

Lazenby only did one, though admittedly there's no way he could make a movie that's better than OHMSS.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @noSolaceleft Give it a rest with the personal attacks and obnoxious attitude.