No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I adore Villeneuve. He's one of my favourite working directors and I'll watch anything from him (I might even go see Blade Runner 2049, a sequel to a movie I don't even like). But the fact is he just might be too busy. B25 is earmarked for release in less than 2 years and seeing how slow Eon works, for Villeneuve to shoot and put B25 together while working on other projects seems like wishful thinking at this late date.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Here is our rundown for September:

September 2017
    ->Based on information from a Hollywood insider, Page Six reveals a "surprising" (and all too familiar) plot for B25 in which 007 seeks revenge following the death of his wife
    ->Apple and Amazon Studios join the race for the B25 distribution rights according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter
    ->Two-time Bond director Martin Campbell, a fan-favorite to finish off Craig's tenure as 007, lines up two new projects over the next several years and will most likely be too busy to helm the forthcoming film
    ->In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Craig comments vaguely about B25 saying he has 'some things he wants to finish with 007' and dismisses the public perception that he is ungrateful toward the role
    ->Broccoli discusses her keenness to support women within the industry and would "of course" consider the possibility of hiring a female director to helm a future Bond film
    ->Star Wars Episode IX is pushed back to December 2019; will likely provide B25 with massive box office competition similar to the type SPECTRE faced against The Force Awakens in 2015
    ->Barbara Broccoli says getting Craig back for a fifth film is a "dream come true" while attending the Toronto premiere of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
    ->The British Council for film lists Thomas Newman as the composer for B25 even though, as a frequent collaborator of Sam Mendes, the two are expected to depart from the series
    ->According to Baz Bamigboye, Craig is apparently 'keen' on Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve, which means getting the gig will either put Dune on ice or have him drop the project entirely
    ->Deadline reports that Villeneuve is now in talks with Sony to direct Cleopatra, virtually ruling him out of contention to helm Craig's final entry
    ->More talks of Croatia as a location resurface, as local reports claim the production is to arrive in 'early 2018' to film in several cities throughout the country (an unlikely scenario given the script is still in the early stages of development)
    ->Villeneuve confirms to several media outlets while promoting Blade Runner 2049 that he is indeed in talks with Broccoli and Craig, but that his involvement in other projects will determine whether or not he signs onto the film
    ->Villeneuve on board would also mean a likely return of Roger Deakins as Director of Photography, having worked with him on several of his recent films
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    What are the chances of a distributor being announced on October 5th?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    Pretty slim, I'd say. It would probably leak before an announcement, don't you think? Given the Amazon/Apple discussions only broke in Sep, I think things are still ongoing. These matters take time to resolve given the number of parties and complexities involved.

BTW, I recently came across this fascinating NYT article. It's from 2015, but it's quite revealing about Babs, Wilson and their opinions on a number of items, including Bond, Craig, Pascal and future distribution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/business/media/a-family-team-looks-for-james-bonds-next-assignment.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

1/365
    bondjames wrote: »
    Pretty slim, I'd say. It would probably leak before an announcement, don't you think? Given the Amazon/Apple discussions only broke in Sep, I think things are still ongoing. These matters take time to resolve given the number of parties and complexities involved.

BTW, I recently came across this fascinating NYT article. It's from 2015, but it's quite revealing about Babs, Wilson and their opinions on a number of items, including Bond, Craig, Pascal and future distribution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/business/media/a-family-team-looks-for-james-bonds-next-assignment.html
    Fascinating read, thanks for posting.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

Very likely i think.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @QuantumOrganization Any word at all on anything?
    The 3 things I draw from the DV situation are as follows.

1. Dune is his baby to which he wants to be in charge of when it comes to fruition? No matter how long that will take?

2. He is only considering Cleopatra isn't he?

3. He wants to do a Bond movie!

4. It is only down to scheduling?!

With all that said? I will now await to see if anything happens on October 5th?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    @QuantumOrganization Any word at all on anything?

Quantum doesn't know ****.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @dominicgreene, re: @QuantumOrganization: but, but, but, but he has contacts, and, and, and, and, and, he's going to make people eat CROW, and...- uh-... and we're idiots and, uh,.... Daniel Craig WILL shoot two Bond films back to back. He will. HE WILLLLLLLL....
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837

Interesting read and sums up why I hope her and MGW aren't selling up. I found her answer to the Bond girl question very disappointing though. The whole "Bond girls used to just be bimbos who ran around in bikinis and moaned oh James" thing is a myth. There have been bad ones over the years but on the whole they've always been fleshed out, complex characters. There were bad ones but there are bad ones today too. Is she really arguing that Strawberry Fields or someone is more interesting and complex than Tracy or Pussy Galore?

I don't get how she and others can claim they're so much better and more interesting now than they used to be when in reality the Bond girls have, on the whole, always been strong characters. They've always been heavily sexualised too sure but so is every aspect of Bond's world including the man himself. That's the point. Would have been nice for her to point out that they've always been interesting complex characters because that's the way Fleming wrote them, instead of playing along and giving the PR friendly answer of "the old movies were sexist but we're not any more".
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883

Interesting read and sums up why I hope her and MGW aren't selling up. I found her answer to the Bond girl question very disappointing though. The whole "Bond girls used to just be bimbos who ran around in bikinis and moaned oh James" thing is a myth. There have been bad ones over the years but on the whole they've always been fleshed out, complex characters. There were bad ones but there are bad ones today too. Is she really arguing that Strawberry Fields or someone is more interesting and complex than Tracy or Pussy Galore?

I don't get how she and others can claim they're so much better and more interesting now than they used to be when in reality the Bond girls have, on the whole, always been strong characters. They've always been heavily sexualised too sure but so is every aspect of Bond's world including the man himself. That's the point. Would have been nice for her to point out that they've always been interesting complex characters because that's the way Fleming wrote them, instead of playing along and giving the PR friendly answer of "the old movies were sexist but we're not any more".
    I completely agree. I've always felt that they have been ahead of their time. Particularly some of the early women like Fiona, Tracy and Pussy, but also some of the 70s & 80s ones such as Holly, Melina and Octopussy. Like you said, they were sexualized certainly, but then this is Fleming's James Bond after all, and we wouldn't want that aspect to completely disappear. I can only hope that she said it in order to acknowledge how Bond girls are thought of by the general public. Having said that, as the 'gatekeeper' of the franchise, it would have been nice if she had stood up for the earlier Bond women and tried to explain specifically why they were interesting characters using examples from the films in question. I suppose she didn't think it was worth going down that path, since the original question was whether she was a 'feminist'. Damned if you do damned if you don't I suppose.

One thing I really don't want to hear in B25's marketing material is how the 'woman' is Bond's equal or different from the other girls etc. It's so tedious and plays into this perception that the earlier women were just bimbos, which as you said, couldn't be further from the truth.
    What the hell is this October 5th date?

Also, I saw a comment about there not being a first draft done. I'm no industry expert, but the standard for writers' work is a draft in about three months, possibly six maximum (which is a long time for a first draft, let alone a production ready work) and we knew they were on it at least as early as March of this year.

The only thing holding back news is the distribution right now, and the fact that we have over two years until this movie comes out. Things don't work that fast this early on, especially not with a movie and franchise in this sort of limbo situation.
    October 5th refers to global James Bond day.
    Oh yeah. It's never really been Eon's thing to hold news for special dates, but I'd love to be surprised.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,115
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

Also, I saw a comment about there not being a first draft done. I'm no industry expert, but the standard for writers' work is a draft in about three months, possibly six maximum (which is a long time for a first draft, let alone a production ready work) and we knew they were on it at least as early as March of this year.

The only thing holding back news is the distribution right now, and the fact that we have over two years until this movie comes out. Things don't work that fast this early on, especially not with a movie and franchise in this sort of limbo situation.

I would think a first draft has been done by now (it has been almost six months since Bamigboye reported Purvis and Wade were hired, no telling precisely when they first started working on B25).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have removed some of the discussion as it was too far off topic, and probably getting into territories where we don't want to be on this particular thread.

Kinky..

I would think a first draft has been done by now (it has been almost six months since Bamigboye reported Purvis and Wade were hired, no telling precisely when they first started working on B25).

I strongly suspect Daniel wanted to see a 1st draft before signing on - same with Denis being in talks and saying it's a magnificent project, which suggests he's read a draft or a very detailed treatment and he likes it.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I strongly suspect Daniel wanted to see a 1st draft before signing on - same with Denis being in talks and saying it's a magnificent project, which suggests he's read a draft or a very detailed treatment and he likes it.

That's how I see it as well.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I think everyone who is hanging on the critical reception of Blade Runner are missing the point.

Blade Runner(at least going on the first, which is a classic) is quite a ponderous, existential film. That's not a knock on it, as I said its a classic. And that type of material is perfect for someone like Villeneuve.

The problem is, Bond film aren't, nor should they ever be, like that at all. They are action drama's/male fantasies.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I think everyone who is hanging on the critical reception of Blade Runner are missing the point.

Blade Runner(at least going on the first, which is a classic) is quite a ponderous, existential film. That's not a knock on it, as I said its a classic. And that type of material is perfect for someone like Villeneuve.

The problem is, Bond film aren't, nor should they ever be, like that at all. They are action drama's/male fantasies.

Sicarrio is a high octane, edge of the seat thriller. Denis Villeneuve has what it takes to do Bond, no question in my mind - and obviously Eon and Craig feel the same.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Sicarrio is a high octane, edge of the seat thriller. Denis Villeneuve has what it takes to do Bond, no question in my mind - and obviously Eon and Craig feel the same.

I found Sicario quite overrated, but I know I am in the minority. As for his other films I have only seen Arrival other than that. Good film but quite plodding. Again nothing that screams that the fellow should Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I found Sicario quite overrated, but I know I am in the minority.
    Better make that two.
    @ClarkDevlin Glad I am not the only one.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @ClarkDevlin Glad I am not the only one.
    Likewise, @Roadphill.
    I just worry, every time in recent years EON have tried to think outside of the box for directors (Apted, Tamahori, Forster and Mendes) we have ended up with duds.
    I just worry, every time in recent years EON have tried to think outside of the box for directors (Apted, Tamahori, Forster and Mendes) we have ended up with duds.

I take your point, but SF was no dud. As we know it was massive commercial and critical success. And SP, while not getting the same critical raves, still pulled in a ton of money. I think Villeneuve is such an accomplished and inspired filmmaker, far more than the likes of Apted or Tamahori IMO, that he'll deliver the goods IF he does do Bond.