No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    A while back a poster confidently assured us that we should expect back-to-back Craig entries with Demange in the saddle. An announcement was supposed to be forthcoming confirming this shortly.

I suppose we should assume, based on this latest news, that such assurance (which was admittedly a bit far fetched even at the time) was a load of hooey (to put it mildly).

Obviously. Craig wants to go out with a bang. It should be the best Bond send-off ever for a Bond actor. And, funny enough, that really has never happened before. I think this is what drives the producers of Bond #25.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @MajorDSmythe , do yourself a favour and watch these three films:

PRISONER starring Hugh Jackman
    SICARIO starring Emily Blunt
    THE ARRIVAL starring Amy Adams

I think Villeneuve is one of today's best visual storytellers. I don't think modern Mendes comes close.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Prisoners is a fantastic film.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 14,816
    This Denis Villeneuve, he's not another Mendes is he? Or put it another way, he isn't one of those directors that would make a Denis Villeneuve film rather than a Bond film, is he? Just the thought of another Mendes has me worried.

I have seen very little of his films (bits of Sicario) rom what I know he's more chameleon-like than Mendes, or most "auteurs" directors. He adapts his direction to the genre/franchise. But that is fairly common for Quebec directors, I think. You give them free reign and they do something very artsy and personal, but you ask them to do something specific (a western, a crime drama, a war movie) and they do a quality genre movie, no more, no less. Charles Binamé is another one like that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Prisoners is a fantastic film.

Fires on all cylinders. The directing, acting, cinematography, and score are absolutely top notch.
  • I would be very happy with Villeneuve. Sicario is an excellent film with some terrific action, and he also can do really powerfully acted films like Incendies. Top result if he does do Bond. He'd better not muck up Blade Runner though.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Funny we haven't heard from @QuantumOrganization in a while. What do your insiders say?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Villeneuve is and has been my first choice since Sicario. The man would quite literally make the perfect Bond film, IMO.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Count me as one of those who would be delighted if Denis signed on.

He's definitely one of the directors I'm most excited about these days, loved Sicario, enjoyed Prisoners & The Enemy.

I've only seen Arrival once but I was intrigued by it, it needs another watch but no denying his abilities.

Though if you want to see possibly his best film alongside Sicario then Incendies is pretty incredible, I won't say anymore because any knowledge of what happens might spoil the impact of it but it's an extraordinary film.

Can't wait for Bladerunner 2049 and have IMAX tickets booked, if the stars can align and DV can be the director for Bond 25 I'd be a very happpy Bond fan.

Hopefully this means no Newman and yes I'd be more than happy with Zimmer, I don't see JJ as much as I like his score with DV's films I can't see if he was taken off BR 2049 him being looked by BB & MGW for Bond.

I can imagine Zimmer would love to score a Bond film and unlike Newman he wouldn't deliver aural wallpaper. I can see Zimmer really going to town on Bond, his Inception score definitely gave me the idea he could do something special with Bond.
    I did not like Sicario or Arrival. He is probably qualified to do B25 but part of me wants him & part of me dosent.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I did not like Sicario or Arrival. He is probably qualified to do B25 but part of me wants him & part of me dosent.
    My precise feelings!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Arrival did nothing for me (despite understanding what they were getting at under the surface). Sicario was pretty good (Deakins had a lot to do with that though). Prisoners was truly excellent.

One thing that is consistent across these three films is wonderfully realized characters. He really knows how to make them feel like real people.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if it's Villeneuve we aren't going to have a continuation story. New cast coming. Just my instincts.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Agree. Didn't care for Arrival myself; didn't hate or anything. Sicario is a very good movie. Prisoners was disturbing and Awesome.

I don't think Demange would be interested in continuation either. But if he did it would be a totally different in tone and execution.

What I would give to be in on those pitch meetings with the directors.
  • I loved "Arrival". Pretty damn smart sci-fi, but especially for a more grown-up, intellectual audience. What I loved about is, is the theme of linguistics and how that can have repercussions for basically everything on Earth. Just....look how certain linguistics....are now creating the weirdest kind of feuds between two world leaders. It's a movie you have to re-watch a couple of times to discover all the layers.
    I loved "Arrival". Pretty damn smart sci-fi, but especially for a more grown-up, intellectual audience. What I loved about is, is the theme of linguistics and how that can have repercussions for basically everything on Earth. Just....look how certain linguistics....are now creating the weirdest kind of feuds between two world leaders. It's a movie you have to re-watch a couple of times to discover all the layers.
    That's pretty much why it did nothing for me. I'd already figured that out some time ago, and started reading Chomsky. It would have impressed me if they'd dug into it much further, but unfortunately it was just surface level.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Surface level? Emotionally, I do think it went deeper and certainly affected those with children: if we know what is to happen, with all the potential pain and suffering, would we still follow through on our path? That to me is what THE ARRIVAL was all about; and that question was answered by our protagonist, but, smartly leaves it open for us the audience.

I never thought myself the sentimental type, not fully, but I was floored and had a visceral emotional reaction. It, to me, was sublime.
    peter wrote: »
    Surface level?
    My comment was focused on the linguistic aspect only. I thought I was clear, but perhaps not.

In terms of the other aspect,
    It did nothing for me and made the protagonist less sympathetic in my eyes. I agree with Renner's character. There was a victim involved after all, as well as a husband.

Anyway, off topic. I can see why Craig is interested in him. There will be character depth and 'themes' if he's involved in B25. A worthy successor to Mendes.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    DV has consistently said during BR2049 press that he's about to start working on getting Dune written. Will be interesting to see if Craig convinces him to come on board...would be amazing.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    With such divided interests, I say they disregard both Arnold and Newman and go with someone fresh. I'm not averse to new talent; just the opposite. I think it's what the series could use now. I'm not interested in hearing more reused tracks in B25 that weren't memorable or good on the ears the first two times around.

If Villeneuve gets the gig, he'll bring in Johan Johansson.

We'll see, JJ's score on Blade Runner got rejected and Zimmer's rescoring it.

Johann's score wasn't rejected, Benjamin Wallfisch and Zimmer have added to the score.
    I believe he is off the project now though.

I'm not sure to be honest, but Denis said the score needed to be augmented, I think I read that on IMDb pro.
    This was posted on the Bladerunner thread about a week ago. Not sure how accurate it is, although his agent apparently confirmed it.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/09/08/icelandic-film-composer-no-longer-attached-blade-runner-sequel

Final credits on BR2049 are only Zimmer and Wallfisch - JJ is officially out.

igwbKk3.jpg

As an aside, another case of someone who's deceased getting a credit (Bud Yorkin, one of the listed producers). He apparently was involved with the original Blade Runner.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames, I guess we differ on THE ARRIVAL; I found all three participants victims, and it made our protagonist that much stronger for taking on what is to come. Call me stupid for thinking so.
    That's perhaps what they wanted us to think @peter. I can't imagine the film makers wanted the viewer to come away with the impression I have, which is far from complimentary. I found it selfish because of the other participants involved. Self serving. However, I can completely see the other point of view too, even if I don't share it.
    Suspense is something that has been lacking in the Bond movies for many, many years. If DV can deliver, then get him signed up.
    For me Stuart Baird is as important as anything else....
  • "Based on this latest news..."

They still don't have a director. Recall fan theories one was already in the bag? Eon was just waiting to release the news for maximum impact, or so this notion went.
    They still don't have a director.
    Indeed. No distributor either. Long way to go and much can change including a transformative distribution deal or outright sale of MGM which could really shake things up.

Still it's worth playing along for fun. Not much else happening around here these days. Like Vesper, some of us "like speculating".
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,483
    @bondjames , but I agree with you-- she was selfish to follow through, even though she knew. But she did it anyways since
    To love a child and to have that love reciprocated, to travel the incredible journey and challenges, as that child gro[url="http://"][/url]
    ws into an adult and you, with all the obstacles they kick in your face, have to go through, to guide and shape, is still worth it, even as she knows where this will lead. If I knew this would happen to any of my children, would I reject the chance to experience my life with them?; I answered as Amy Adams did: I would want to experience and have my children's life with me, no matter the fall out of what I know will happen. Quite frankly, this film really F'd me up as a father of three. Yes, I want to experience their life, even if I knew it would be taken away from me. Why? Because my life will be more richer for knowing them, and I will be more full, even when they are taken from me.

It was sublime
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well that screws it, @bondjames -- I don't know how to do spoilers !
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Edit: tried to reedit.. did it work?
    @peter, it's the icon with the question mark (last icon on the right). Just click on it and make sure to paste the text entirely between the two spoiler tags which appear once you click on it. Very few will have read this yet so there's still time to fix.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you @bondjames (I think it worked!)
    Yes, @peter it worked. Regarding your post,
    Yes, I can understand how you feel. It hits an emotional nerve. My point though still remains that she had the power to prevent an innocent life from coming into the world who would endure insufferable pain. She also had an opportunity to prevent her husband from suffering. I would not have made her choice. I would have adopted a child instead, if I knew what she knew. Quite frankly I found it borderline disgraceful, but I understand the other point of view

It's certainly a film that makes one think. Quite philosophical. Perhaps this is what's in store for B25. I hope not.