No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I was under the impression Demange already got the job. Honestly, as much as I would like to see him direct Bond 25, I would be even happier with Villeneuve, so I'm really hoping Dune will get delayed. Also, wondering whether Villeneuve on board would mean the return of Deakins.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing re: Deakins. They clearly have a very strong creative partnership, so I can see Deakins coming back. I'm hoping Denis does Bond. I think the new version of Dune has been so long in development with various writers and directors, it's the sort of project which could shift back.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Villeneuve would be great but then Dune has to go on ice.

Purity did when Craig wanted to get going with Bond,so hopefully Dune will be delayed and give Villeneuve this,maybe,once in a lifetime shot at a Bond film.

Given the scope of Dune I'd say it's a project that would need a lot of time preparing before shooting starts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This seems more plausible than Demange given Craig is on board.

As I said before, I couldn't understand the Craig/Demange combo coming after Craig/Mendes. This seems more possible.

Having said that, if this is true, what it reveals is that they are much farther away from locking things down than we thought. No distributor and no director, as of yet.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This seems more plausible than Demange given Craig is on board.

As I said before, I couldn't understand the Craig/Demange combo coming after Craig/Mendes. This seems more possible.

Having said that, if this is true, what it reveals is that they are much farther away from locking things down than we thought. No distributor and no director, as of yet.

My feeling is if Baz is reporting this - and there's an article in his column in today's Daily Mail - there's truth to this story.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    I would be a happy bunny if they got him on board....

As Drax would say...:

"Now,about the replacement for Mendes......
    Aaaah well,if you can get Villeneuve for us..."

Just throw him down the gallery? That's too good for Mendes!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Please EON, let's make this happen. Villeneuve would be the perfect choice.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited September 2017 Posts: 299
    Promising news - Villeneuve is my ideal choice for Bond 25 and I think his style of directing would work well as a follow up to Mendes from a visual standpoint. Would be a big bonus if we got Deakins back too.
    NSGW wrote: »
    Promising news - Villeneuve is my ideal choice for Bond 25 and I think his style of directing would work well as a follow up to Mendes from a visual standpoint.
    I agree. Not to mention his last film was somewhat surreal and focused on emotions and themes. I personally didn't like the film (even though I fully understood what they were going for with it), but his approach certainly would be more in line with a Mendes follow up. Less grit and more thematic/character driven.
    After watching Sicario, I also think at some point soon we need Benecio Del Toro back as a main villain.
    Emily Blunt as Maddy replacement?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Emily Blunt as Maddy replacement?

You mean different actress,same character ?

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I was under the impression Demange already got the job.

Demange is about to get Villeneuve'd.
    I don't know. Why not?! Get blunt in the film anyway
    They could easily replace Seydoux with another more competent actress for B25 (as Swann). If the relationship is to be instrumental to the proceedings, it may in fact be advisable. I don't think anyone would really care.
    They could easily replace Seydoux with another more competent actress for B25 (as Swann). If the relationship is to be instrumental to the proceedings, it may in fact be advisable. I don't think anyone would really care.

No I don't think she should be replaced,she was OK in SP,and for the sake of continuity she should be in it if Madeleine has to be (I would rather not,big time.)

But Emily Blunt in BOND25 would be very welcome imo !

• edited September 2017 Posts: 3,164
    DV has consistently said during BR2049 press that he's about to start working on getting Dune written. Will be interesting to see if Craig convinces him to come on board...would be amazing.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    With such divided interests, I say they disregard both Arnold and Newman and go with someone fresh. I'm not averse to new talent; just the opposite. I think it's what the series could use now. I'm not interested in hearing more reused tracks in B25 that weren't memorable or good on the ears the first two times around.

If Villeneuve gets the gig, he'll bring in Johan Johansson.

We'll see, JJ's score on Blade Runner got rejected and Zimmer's rescoring it.
    Blunt might make a decent villain as well. Always highly watchable.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    barryt007 wrote: »

No I don't think she should be replaced,she was OK in SP,and for the sake of continuity she should be in it if Madeleine has to be (I would rather not,big time.)

But Emily Blunt in BOND25 would be very welcome imo !

Agreed, I hate recasting. I know it has been done a lot in the past, but with Craig's movies being so tightened together it would really bother me.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Blunt might make a decent villain as well. Always highly watchable.

Very much so,a very versatile actress,one of our best exports.

antovolk wrote: »
    DV has consistently said during BR2049 press that he's about to start working on getting Dune written. Will be interesting to see if Craig convinces him to come on board...would be amazing.
    With such divided interests, I say they disregard both Arnold and Newman and go with someone fresh. I'm not averse to new talent; just the opposite. I think it's what the series could use now. I'm not interested in hearing more reused tracks in B25 that weren't memorable or good on the ears the first two times around.

Johann's score wasn't rejected, Benjamin Wallfisch and Zimmer have added to the score.

ColonelSun wrote: »

Johann's score wasn't rejected, Benjamin Wallfisch and Zimmer have added to the score.
    I believe he is off the project now though.

I'm not sure to be honest, but Denis said the score needed to be augmented, I think I read that on IMDb pro.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

I'm not sure to be honest, but Denis said the score needed to be augmented, I think I read that on IMDb pro.
    This was posted on the Bladerunner thread about a week ago. Not sure how accurate it is, although his agent apparently confirmed it.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/09/08/icelandic-film-composer-no-longer-attached-blade-runner-sequel

This was posted on the Bladerunner thread about a week ago. Not sure how accurate it is, although his agent apparently confirmed it.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/09/08/icelandic-film-composer-no-longer-attached-blade-runner-sequel

Final credits on BR2049 are only Zimmer and Wallfisch - JJ is officially out.

igwbKk3.jpg

Interesting. I hadn't seen that. They are certainly playing it down if his score was, as said earlier, dumped. I like Johann's work in more cerebral films like Arrival, but I do wonder if he would be a good fit for Bond.

Interesting. I hadn't seen that. They are certainly playing it down if his score was, as said earlier, dumped. I like Johann's work in more cerebral films like Arrival, but I do wonder if he would be a good fit for Bond.
    I agree. As discussed during the debate about Newman/Arnold earrlier on this thread, I believe Johansson could bring a new atmospheric and sinister moody sound (based on what I've seen from him in the past), and I'm open to that. However, with a series with a rich musical legacy (and high audience expectations/preferences) like Bond, it may not go down too well.

Perhaps that's what happened with Bladerunner, which is another product where the sound is critical.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,164

I agree. As discussed during the debate about Newman/Arnold earrlier on this thread, I believe Johansson could bring a new atmospheric and sinister moody sound (based on what I've seen from him in the past), and I'm open to that. However, with a series with a rich musical legacy (and high audience expectations/preferences) like Bond, it may not go down too well.

Perhaps that's what happened with Bladerunner, which is another product where the sound is critical.

if anything, the way Blade Runner was handled production wise is closer to Bond than anything else - its own project at a separate prod company, with Warners and Sony having very little, if not no, say in the film itself. Think of Scott and Yorkin/Johnson as their MGW/BB.

if anything, the way Blade Runner was handled production wise is closer to Bond than anything else - its own project at a separate prod company, with Warners and Sony having very little, if not no, say in the film itself. Think of Scott and Yorkin/Johnson as their MGW/BB.
    Interesting. So I suppose Johnson/Scott are the ones who've objected here, similar to Babs/Wilson when they shut down Serra's tank score.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    If Baz says it, there is definitely some truth to it (for people who don't know Baz is a very reputable source).

Agree with bondjames, clearly the director hasn't been chosen yet but it seems like Babs is doing her best to get him on board. If so, I will be very pleased.

Also, Canada represent!
    Well? Seeing as we now have this news regarding Dennis Villeneuve? Can we expect an announcement this year regarding a directorial appointment?