No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My two top choices are Joel McNeely and Elliot Goldenthal. Giacchino and Lennertz would be great too.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    What is it with this fixation on David Arnold.
    He's a composer who understands and respects the Bond Sound. The very groundwork John Barry established. He has a great respect for John Barry whom was also his biggest Inspiration. He has a respect to the legacy to Bond music and actually gave a damn about the score. He took the concepts Barry created and updated for the modern age. At least he could compose a memorable Bond score.
    Yesterday I posted this picture about Trekkies. But in a way, this also applies to many Bond fans these days

Nice stance you're taking against those who disagree with your views. It's not our fault Newman couldn't cut the mustard.

I couldn't agree more. In addition, like Barry, his motifs and cues are quite catchy. Memorable. I can't count the times I've hummed the "Show Me The Money" boat chase music or DAD's "Welcome to Cuba."
    I'd say it should be a mandatory requirement for Bond to provide a score that's melodically memorable. Countless films today lack that. If one were to ask me to hum the music from the new Wonder Woman movie, I'd be baffled. I don't remember how any of the music in Man of Steel goes for that matter either. Or The Bourne Supremacy.
    I dread the day we get a new Bond film with such a mundane forgettable score.

Totally agreed. Even the least good Bond scores had great hummable tracks. Heck, even Dr. No had a few good pieces of music (Underneath the Mango Tree takes me back to the summer when I first read the book, so I'll always have a soft spot for that).
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I've always thought Michael Giacchino would be interesting. Christopher Lennertz, who composed the music for the FRWL and QOS video games would also be an interesting choice.

As for Arnold, I thought QOS was his best soundtrack of the bunch, so I wouldn't be upset to hear him return.

Also agreed with this.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Taking this back to B25, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Part of me really wants a return to the old school light hearted take, but a part of me understands that it's best for the Craig era to close out in a more gritty, reality oriented manner.

This is exactly how I feel about it. CR and QOS seem to be in a completely different 'world' (there must be a better way to say this) then SF and even more so with SP. And for Craig I prefer the take from his first two entries.

Couldn't agree more. CR and QoS felt like real Bond films and both films have this indescribable exciting feeling. Craig is definitely at his best but the last 2...pass.

Thats the right idea
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 2,115
    re: Thomas Newman

//He's recognized because he has created some wonderful scores for several films in several genres. To suggest it's because he's someone's son is a bit much.//

First of all, I think he's very talented. I have said he doesn't seem right for Bond. I have heard some of his scores for more personal dramas and thought he nailed it.

Anyway, he's not just someone's son. Alfred Newman was one of the most celebrated film composers. To show you how far back he went, he wrote this tune in 1933 (back when it was 20th Century Pictures). I mention this example only to demonstrate his longevity.

• Tweet from Baz Bamigboye early this evening New York time. I thought a story might be coming out but havven't seen on. Hard to gauge how newsy this is or is not.

#DanielCraig said to be “keen” for #DenisVilleneuve to direct #Bond25

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Please let this happen.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Tweet from Baz Bamigboye early this evening New York time. I thought a story might be coming out but havven't seen on. Hard to gauge how newsy this is or is not.

@AlexanderWaverly yep just posted it thanks for the extra umff :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    With such divided interests, I say they disregard both Arnold and Newman and go with someone fresh. I'm not averse to new talent; just the opposite. I think it's what the series could use now. I'm not interested in hearing more reused tracks in B25 that weren't memorable or good on the ears the first two times around.

If Villeneuve gets the gig, he'll bring in Johan Johansson.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not sure the truth in this. Craig looks kind of tight-lipped.
    Be nice if this could lead to an announcement in the near future.
    the problem craig doesn't realize is Villeneuve is already tied up with dune which comes out dec 31st 2019
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Tweet from Baz Bamigboye early this evening New York time. I thought a story might be coming out but havven't seen on. Hard to gauge how newsy this is or is not.

You beat me by a few seconds, but we must have been posting right around the same time.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Denis would be fantastic!!
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    @jake24 ask baz his source if you can.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

You beat me by a few seconds, but we must have been posting right around the same time.

@AlexanderWaverly yeah your post was way better though
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    the problem craig doesn't realize is Villeneuve is already tied up with dune which comes out dec 31st 2019

Where are you getting that release date? Last I heard, a new adaptation of Dune is still very early in the pre-production stages, so much so that IMDB isn't even listing it as such.
  • This man, Mr Craig, really only wants the best of the best hehe ;-). Let's not forget Craig is co-producer, Barbara and Michael basically listen to him and like his proposals and choices. So I wouldn't be surprised if Denis Villeneuve says goodbye to "Dune" or at least let this film put on halt for a bit longer, so he can do Bond #25.
    This man, Mr Craig, really only wants the best of the best hehe ;-). Let's not forget Craig is co-producer, Barbara and Michael basically listen to him and like his proposals and choices. So I wouldn't be surprised if Denis Villeneuve says goodbye to "Dune" or at least let this film put on halt for a bit longer, so he can do Bond #25.

It's very possible Dune is going to take quite some time to get the script right - which may allow Denis time to do Bond after all. He certainly gets my vote. A great director - terrific visuals and concise storytelling. I hear his communication skills with actors are not always very clear, but hey, his finished films speak for themselves.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Denis Villeneuve = Don Johnson?
    Ever since I saw Sicario I've wanted Denis Villeneuve to direct a Bond. Hope this happens. Hasn't he reluctantly ruled himself out though, due to his heavy schedule? He was one fo the directors Eon was reported to be interested in.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I hope if so, he wil ask Sarah Gadon as Bondgirl. She is on my wishlist and she worked with him on Enemy.

director-denis-villeneuve-and-actress-sarah-gadon-attends-the-enemy-picture-id181410826

sarah-gadon.jpg

image-w240.jpg?1360849570

Sounds like a good choice. Hope this turns out to be true. The sooner there is a good director on board the sooner they can bash out the script issues. Don't want someone joining late and then changing the whole script last minute.
    I would be a happy bunny if they got him on board....

As Drax would say...:

"Now,about the replacement for Mendes......
    Aaaah well,if you can get Villeneuve for us..."
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hell. Yes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Film is a director's medium, and Mendes muddled up the vision for this Bond, especially in the last film, de-fanging DC and trying to be cute for the sake of being cute.

Someone like Villeneuve could get that vision back on track, while also giving the film itself a "large-scope" feel to it.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I was under the impression Demange already got the job. Honestly, as much as I would like to see him direct Bond 25, I would be even happier with Villeneuve, so I'm really hoping Dune will get delayed. Also, wondering whether Villeneuve on board would mean the return of Deakins.
    Villeneuve would be great but then Dune has to go on ice.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Villeneuve would be great but then Dune has to go on ice.

Purity did when Craig wanted to get going with Bond,so hopefully Dune will be delayed and give Villeneuve this,maybe,once in a lifetime shot at a Bond film.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I was under the impression Demange already got the job. Honestly, as much as I would like to see him direct Bond 25, I would be even happier with Villeneuve, so I'm really hoping Dune will get delayed. Also, wondering whether Villeneuve on board would mean the return of Deakins.

tenor.gif