No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well? Seeing as we now have this news regarding Dennis Villeneuve? Can we expect an announcement this year regarding a directorial appointment?

I should bleedin' well hope so...and soon !

barryt007 wrote: »
    Well? Seeing as we now have this news regarding Dennis Villeneuve? Can we expect an announcement this year regarding a directorial appointment?

Lol! You sound as eager as me for fresh official news!
    barryt007 wrote: »

Lol! You sound as eager as me for fresh official news!

Totally my friend,totally !!

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I know that this is all rumor at this point, BUT...I said it a while back. I can't see Craig giving a thumbs up to McKenzie or Demange on a huge production that would be his final Bond film. I just can't see it. This doesn't mean neither directors are any good, but putting Bond 25 in their hands, at this point in their careers is risky.

Villeneuve is a lot less risky. He has a track record working with big productions and top-notch talent. So of course DC would want him over the other two. It's a no-brainer, really.

As for Zimmer on BR 2049. I wasn't aware of this; very interesting. I am OK with Zimmer on Bond 25.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,164
    bondjames wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    DV has consistently said during BR2049 press that he's about to start working on getting Dune written. Will be interesting to see if Craig convinces him to come on board...would be amazing.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    With such divided interests, I say they disregard both Arnold and Newman and go with someone fresh. I'm not averse to new talent; just the opposite. I think it's what the series could use now. I'm not interested in hearing more reused tracks in B25 that weren't memorable or good on the ears the first two times around.

If Villeneuve gets the gig, he'll bring in Johan Johansson.

We'll see, JJ's score on Blade Runner got rejected and Zimmer's rescoring it.

Johann's score wasn't rejected, Benjamin Wallfisch and Zimmer have added to the score.
    I believe he is off the project now though.

I'm not sure to be honest, but Denis said the score needed to be augmented, I think I read that on IMDb pro.
    This was posted on the Bladerunner thread about a week ago. Not sure how accurate it is, although his agent apparently confirmed it.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/09/08/icelandic-film-composer-no-longer-attached-blade-runner-sequel

Interesting. I hadn't seen that. They are certainly playing it down if his score was, as said earlier, dumped. I like Johann's work in more cerebral films like Arrival, but I do wonder if he would be a good fit for Bond.
    I agree. As discussed during the debate about Newman/Arnold earrlier on this thread, I believe Johansson could bring a new atmospheric and sinister moody sound (based on what I've seen from him in the past), and I'm open to that. However, with a series with a rich musical legacy (and high audience expectations/preferences) like Bond, it may not go down too well.

Perhaps that's what happened with Bladerunner, which is another product where the sound is critical.

if anything, the way Blade Runner was handled production wise is closer to Bond than anything else - its own project at a separate prod company, with Warners and Sony having very little, if not no, say in the film itself. Think of Scott and Yorkin/Johnson as their MGW/BB.
    Interesting. So I suppose Johnson/Scott are the ones who've objected here, similar to Babs/Wilson when they shut down Serra's tank score.

Or Scott, really - he's the one holding the cards creatively, and seems the score is the only major change that happened that came 'from above'. The Alcon guys are happy to let DV do whatever after the success he's brought them with Prisoners and the fact that it's Blade Runner.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I know that this is all rumor at this point, BUT...I said it a while back. I can't see Craig giving a thumbs up to McKenzie or Demange on a huge production that would be his final Bond film. I just can't see it. This doesn't mean neither directors are any good, but putting Bond 25 in their hands, at this point in their careers is risky.

Villeneuve is a lot less risky. He has a track record working with big productions and top-notch talent. So of course DC would want him over the other two. It's a no-brainer, really.

As for Zimmer on BR 2049. I wasn't aware of this; very interesting. I am OK with Zimmer on Bond 25.

Yes, I think you're right and Eon have waited for Craig to sign back on before locking a director because he will want a major say in who it is. Villeneuve is the perfect choice for all the reasons you and others here have stated - and, it seems, we on this forum all, so far, agree Denis Villeneuve would be an excellent choice. Blimey!!!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    With the resurgence in appreciation for QoS would it not be prudent to get Marc Forster back.....?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    With the resurgence in appreciation for QoS would it not be prudent to get Marc Forster back.....?
    I'm afraid the appreciation is only among the die-hards. I don't think the general public has necessarily warmed to the film over the years, and EON seems to want to forget it too (at least in terms of how they lightly referenced it in SP - yes I realize White was there, but arguably he was a remnant from CR first and foremost).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Emily Blunt wouldn't do Bond. It's too "sexist" for her. I remember reading an article once with a headline as such.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Has anyone messaged Baz for further comment on his post? Just curious what made him post that now. If something is indeed imminent
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    M_Balje wrote: »
    I hope if so, he wil ask Sarah Gadon as Bondgirl. She is on my wishlist and she worked with him on Enemy.

director-denis-villeneuve-and-actress-sarah-gadon-attends-the-enemy-picture-id181410826

sarah-gadon.jpg

image-w240.jpg?1360849570

M_Balje wrote: »
    I hope if so, he wil ask Sarah Gadon as Bondgirl. She is on my wishlist and she worked with him on Enemy.

director-denis-villeneuve-and-actress-sarah-gadon-attends-the-enemy-picture-id181410826

sarah-gadon.jpg

image-w240.jpg?1360849570

She's gorgeous but i haven't seen enemy so i will definetly check it out.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Villeneuve will have to do a lot of dodging the question with the Blade Runner press tours. Here's news from last week.
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/dune-reboot-go-back-original-book-says-director-denis-villeneuve-152802919.html
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Heaven for 007 is Blade Runner Denis
    dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4908060/Patti-LuPone-returning-UK-away-s-storm.html

Bond star Daniel Craig is rooting for thriller film-maker Denis Villeneuve to direct him in his final 007 movie.

Villeneuve, who made the narcotics drama Sicario with Emily Blunt; the grown-up sci-fi film Arrival with Amy Adams; and Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal — plus the eagerly anticipated Blade Runner 2049 (due out here on October 5) — has spoken with Craig and Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson about making what is currently known simply as Bond 25.

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are writing the picture’s screenplay. There are several other directors on the ‘wanted’ list, but I’m hearing that Craig is most interested in Villeneuve.

Actors enjoy working with the French Canadian.

Gyllenhaal has shot two pictures with him. And when Sicario screened at the Cannes Film Festival, Emily Blunt said she’d jump at the opportunity to work with him again.

Interestingly, although Bond has traditionally been all about masculinity, Blunt noted in an interview in the New York Times that Villeneuve ‘considers women deeply’ in his films.

‘There’s nothing superficial’ about his female characters, she said.

That may be part of the reason why Craig — and Broccoli — are drawn to him. They have strong feelings about giving so-called ‘Bond Girls’ more power.

Judi Dench, as M, was a powerful female presence in Craig’s earlier Bond films (particularly Skyfall), and she was sorely missed in Spectre.

Craig’s spokesperson was not available for comment.
    Interesting
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Ok then i firmly believe that denis villeneuve will get the job since craig is very active in the creative process and he was a huge reason why mendes returned for SPECTRE anyone expecting an announcement soon?!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A while back a poster confidently assured us that we should expect back-to-back Craig entries with Demange in the saddle. An announcement was supposed to be forthcoming confirming this shortly.

I suppose we should assume, based on this latest news, that such assurance (which was admittedly a bit far fetched even at the time) was a load of hooey (to put it mildly).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That announcement was to have arrived late August/beginning of September....
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    It's hard to know what to believe. I have heard that there was a point where Tom Hiddleston was looking very much like the next Bond but Craig changed his mind. Craig seems to get what he wants which is how I prefer it. He is running the show in my estimation.

It may be that they had Demange and back to back out in place but Craig said he preferred a different approach.
  • Actors are drawn to French-Canadians. Heh. Alright.

And giving so-called "so-called" Bond girls more power--just what we bloody well need.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't think his nationality has anything to having actors drawn to him-- have you seen his films??
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,745
    Denis Villeneuve would undoubtedly be a good choice for Bond 25 but I fear Blade Runner 2049 will under-perform with both critics and audiences based on what I've seen so far. May not be the greatest press rolling into another big picture.

I have a similar issue with Steven Soderbergh. I'd like to imagine he'd be good for Bond but his latest film failed.

For those of you going ahead and assuming any particular person is for sure directing, I envy your optimism but advise you to take a step back.
    Actors are drawn to French-Canadians. Heh. Alright.

And giving so-called "so-called" Bond girls more power--just what we bloody well need.

They say that about Bond girls for every film.

Regarding Denis Villeneuve in recent years Quebec directors have suddenly become very hot internationally so it was just a matter of time one of their names would be attached to a Bond movie (at least in rumours).

If Villeneuve gets it I hope he brings with him a few actresses from Quebec as well. Time to introduce Vivienne Michel maybe?

And on a side note I wish I had gone into acting twenty years ago.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh my, could it be? I'd be superthrilled with Villeneuve as the next Bond director.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Villeneuve is signed to direct Dune, so that will require studio buy-in to delay that production if he's going to do it. So it may just be hopes on Craig's and even Villeneuve's part. Demange is a good second choice, if that's how they're ranked.

They're both kind of wild cards in terms of expectations. On one hand Demange hasn't handled a production on the Bond scale, while Villeneuve's work is so varied that you don't know what his vision will be for it; Arrival and now Blade Runner are atmospheric and cerebral while Sicario and Prisoners are both down to earth, gritty films.

Either way, it will be an improvement over Mendes. And with renewed purpose to make a better film, ending Craig's tenure on a high note, will come a better finished script. It's all promising if true.

Yeah, what about that back-to-back films assurance...?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Fully agree @DrNo ... a film with purpose.
    Craig wants Villeneuve. Villeneuve is a Bond fan and has always wanted to direct a Bond film one day. It seems to me that the only thing that could stop Villeneuve from directing Bond 25 is Dune.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 14,838
    The thing about Dune is that it can be easily delayed given the source material and genre. If Villeneuve was filming it now I'd say he has no chance for Bond 25.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    To hell with Dune. I love Lynch, and even his film version was garbage.
    To hell with Dune. I love Lynch, and even his film version was garbage.

It was very atmospheric, but it didn't make much sense.

In any case, I'd rather see Denis Villeneuve doing a Bond movie than Dune, even if he makes Dune amazing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This Denis Villeneuve, he's not another Mendes is he? Or put it another way, he isn't one of those directors that would make a Denis Villeneuve film rather than a Bond film, is he? Just the thought of another Mendes has me worried.