No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Its a longshot at this point but I was hoping Nolan would helm the next one, but then again i was disappointed with Dunkirk.
    Nolan would be great but they'd need a new actor for him to come on board. Nolan won't play second fiddle to Craig.
    Im not really too crazy about any of the directors being thrown around the last year. While Mendes probably wasnt the right choice for Spectre, I think given the right material to work with Mendes could give us another Skyfall. If Mendes could give us something even a little better than Skyfall I would pick him to helm again or even campbell. The other choices just dont interest me
    Mendes has taken a lot of heat on account of SP but I don't have a problem with him coming back. I think with the right frame of mind and script he could deliver a very good final film for Craig. Having said that, don't dismiss Villeneuve. He's really a very good director, and can give us a very interesting Bond film with some Mendes style top notch character interplay.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    bondjames wrote: »
    Its a longshot at this point but I was hoping Nolan would helm the next one, but then again i was disappointed with Dunkirk.
    Nolan would be great but they'd need a new actor for him to come on board. Nolan won't play second fiddle to Craig.
    Im not really too crazy about any of the directors being thrown around the last year. While Mendes probably wasnt the right choice for Spectre, I think given the right material to work with Mendes could give us another Skyfall. If Mendes could give us something even a little better than Skyfall I would pick him to helm again or even campbell. The other choices just dont interest me
    Mendes has taken a lot of heat on account of SP but I don't have a problem with him coming back. I think with the right frame of mind and script he could deliver a very good final film for Craig. Having said that, don't dismiss Villeneuve. He's really a very good director, and can give us a very interesting Bond film with some Mendes style top notch character interplay.

Can't it be safe to say that mendes is done with bond for good?
    There's more tension in thie 4 min clip than in the whole of SP IMHO

@patb, seeing that clip above makes me understand what Villeneuve was talking about in his pitch for Bond which I posted a few pages back. That scene is far more than your run of the mill action sequence. It's not Tarantino style dialogue either. It's almost 'poetic' (to quote Villeneueve) and gives wonderful insight into the characters of the film.

@Goldeneye0094 , yes it appears he is done for all intents and purposes. I still don't know what he's up to these days though.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if all this conversation of Villeneuve is moot? What are the chances of Legendary delaying Dune to accommodate time for him to direct B25?
    Good point. As I said earlier, I just wander why Baz let this out of the bag now.

In this case, shame on EON for not getting out of the gate much quicker and pinning down the talent before their schedules fill up.

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    patb wrote: »
    There's more tension in thie 4 min clip than in the whole of SP IMHO

Here is a cool video explaining why this scene is so suspenseful and thus why Villeneuve is a great director.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I thought I’d track down the original article in full just for my own clarification. The only real bit of information from Baz Bamigboye in the article is: “There are several other directors on the ‘wanted’ list, but I’m hearing that Craig is most interested in Villeneuve.” Now, I’m sure if Baz Bamigboye actually knew for certain who had been chosen to direct Bond 25, he’d have no compunction in releasing that as his own scoop. Personally, I wouldn’t read too much into this quite yet. It’s still a Wish List for which Villeneuve is quite rightly the top of.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Can't it be safe to say that mendes is done with bond for good?

Never say never ;)

but at this point i find it very unlikely that he comes back for Bond 25 or any other Bond movie.. as @bondjames said, Mendes got a whole heap of flack for SP - whether justified or not, he is the director and at the very least should shoulder some of the blame... my only real problem with SP, is that felt like SF redux - the same "old vs new" theme and family drama metaphors weighed SP down (the metaphors i alluding to is Mom/Children - the relationship between M to Bond and Silva.. and in SP, it was Father/Sibling rivalry - these should be obvious lol.)... i don't mind Directors putting more contextual depth into a Bond movie, but two films in a row basically doing the same thing was a tad shallow.... Visually speaking tho, Mendes' direction in SP was very good - it was a very beautiful film to look at.. i just think he needs to keep his nose out of the writing process lol.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Didn't Disney recently pay Paramount so they could pry JJ Abrams out of a movie he was already committed to and now he's making another SW film? I could see the same happening with EON/MGM and Villeneuve - that is of course only if he's currently knee-deep in Dune, which we wouldn't know.

My guess is that Dune isn't anywhere near pre-production; so Villeneuve would accept EON's offer at the drop of a hat. He's got decent chances too: on the top three shortlist and Craig's favourite pick.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Spectre has more Jarhead / QOS elements.

For me the meeting and l' American has tension as QOS

QOS tension moment
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I know I'm finding myself stranded alone and I'm trying to figure out why am I not getting myself into receiving the same tension vibes as everybody here seems to get. But, watching Sicario I have never felt any tension nor any sort of an anxious moment to find myself in a suspenseful element. I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me, and the story hardly ever made sense until the titular character (Alejandro) demonstrated his motives at the climax of the third act. Not an action-packed climax, mind you?

The only bit I have ever felt haunted was the bit where all the troops silhouettes slowly disappear into the an after-the-sunset landscape with a terrifying musical cue in the background. But, even that didn't leave up to what was promised. I am in the minority, but I found Sicario dull and dire.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    JWPepper wrote: »
    Here is a cool video explaining why this scene is so suspenseful and thus why Villeneuve is a great director.

Thanks for posting this. Excellent explanation for why that sequence works so well. It's not so much the actual action (which is quite limited and over very quickly) but rather 'the buildup to the action' which makes it such a memorable part of the film. Also, as mentioned, a lot of the perspective we receive throughout the film is from Blunt's 'fish out of water' character, and Deakins' superb cinematography accentuates this. This also helps to disorient and keep us off kilter.

If Craig wants less physical action (as was reported somewhere recently) but they still want a tense film, Villeneuve can do it.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Mendes style top notch character interplay? Where did Mendes deliver anything better than all the films before?

edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Mendes style top notch character interplay? Where did Mendes deliver anything better than all the films before?
    I think that is fundamentally what SF had going for it. That and cinematography. At least in comparison with QoS. Certainly not action. I was expecting more of that in SP, but it just wasn't there.
    Ok who all here think it's going to be villianeuve or demange?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

I am in on Villianeuve
  • Villianeuve
    With the popularity circulating around him, it's Denis Villeneuve. The way the praises going ahead towards him, he's the next Christopher Nolan (not in the ideological manner or the filmmaking style, but the popular subject as some master film director of the modern era).
    It has to be Villeneuve or Mendes. One can't go back to Demange now that the rumour is out from a credible source that Craig prefers him. 2nd best isn't going to cut it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I wonder why MI6 has yet to pick up the story?

Didn't Disney recently pay Paramount so they could pry JJ Abrams out of a movie he was already committed to and now he's making another SW film? I could see the same happening with EON/MGM and Villeneuve - that is of course only if he's currently knee-deep in Dune, which we wouldn't know.
    I believe the Abrams payoff was because he was under a multi-year contract with Paramount for developing projects in general and not on any one film in particular. No idea how different the circumstances with Villeneuve are — i.e. whether he's got a similar contract or if DUNE is a one-picture deal, etc.

Re: how far into DUNE he is, I believe someone a few pages back suggested he was only about to start writing it.
    Dune (which has seen mammoth failures before) seems like a far more ambitious and challenging undertaking for a director than a final James Bond film with Daniel Craig. Reboot I can understand.
    Dune (which has seen mammoth failures before) seems like a far more ambitious and challenging undertaking for a director than a final James Bond film with Daniel Craig. Reboot I can understand.
    Yeah. It's somewhat incredible to me, if it's true that he's only just about to start writing it, that it would be set for release in 2019 as reported.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I wonder why MI6 has yet to pick up the story?

I've been wondering the same thing and neither of the major movie sites have picked up on it either.
    Requested by Eon to keep it a low profile, perhaps? But then again, I don't see the point.
    Requested by Eon to keep it a low profile, perhaps? But then again, I don't see the point.

That does make sense after all the big fuss of craig before he officially confirmed his return eon probley wants this to be low key until an official announcement.

Who the hell is Villianeuve?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dennis Villainneuf
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Anyone but someone whose name starts with S and ends with 'am Mendes'.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Dennis Villainneuf
    Also known as Dennis The Menace.