No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Delete.
    Bigelow for SP would have been good. Would have saved us from more Mendes
    Had they announced Demange a few weeks ago, I would have been 100% happy with him, but now I definitely want Villeneuve after Baz Bamigboye's little tease. In fact, I want him to direct Bond 25 so much that I've decided that if they anounce ANYONE else as the director, I will throw the biggest temper tantrum this forum has ever seen.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I also heavily assume Villeneuve will direct Bond 25. It will do good for the marketing after critically acclaimed films like Sicario (which has been a cult favourite for many ever since), potentially the upcoming Blade Runner 2049, Prisoners and Arrival. It will do good both for him and for the Bond trademark.

He's not my ideal choice, then again, the direction I assume they're taking isn't even close to what I'd want from Bond, but given all the standards with the cards they want to be dealt on the pot, I believe Villeneuve is the ideal choice in general.
    bondjames wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Im not really too crazy about any of the directors being thrown around the last year. While Mendes probably wasnt the right choice for Spectre, I think given the right material to work with Mendes could give us another Skyfall. If Mendes could give us something even a little better than Skyfall I would pick him to helm again or even campbell. The other choices just dont interest me
    Mendes has taken a lot of heat on account of SP but I don't have a problem with him coming back. I think with the right frame of mind and script he could deliver a very good final film for Craig. Having said that, don't dismiss Villeneuve. He's really a very good director, and can give us a very interesting Bond film with some Mendes style top notch character interplay.
    Mendes style top notch character interplay? Where did Mendes deliver anything better than all the films before?
    I think that is fundamentally what SF had going for it. That and cinematography. At least in comparison with QoS. Certainly not action. I was expecting more of that in SP, but it just wasn't there.
    If that´s how you feel, fair enough. I prefer other Bond films´ character interplay. SF too many times appears to me trying to be too clever.

Tuck91 wrote: »
    Im not really too crazy about any of the directors being thrown around the last year. While Mendes probably wasnt the right choice for Spectre, I think given the right material to work with Mendes could give us another Skyfall. If Mendes could give us something even a little better than Skyfall I would pick him to helm again or even campbell. The other choices just dont interest me
    Mendes has taken a lot of heat on account of SP but I don't have a problem with him coming back. I think with the right frame of mind and script he could deliver a very good final film for Craig. Having said that, don't dismiss Villeneuve. He's really a very good director, and can give us a very interesting Bond film with some Mendes style top notch character interplay.
    Mendes style top notch character interplay? Where did Mendes deliver anything better than all the films before?
    I think that is fundamentally what SF had going for it. That and cinematography. At least in comparison with QoS. Certainly not action. I was expecting more of that in SP, but it just wasn't there.
    If that´s how you feel, fair enough. I prefer other Bond films´ character interplay. SF too many times appears to me trying to be too clever.
    I felt quite the same, too. Just like you said, on many accounts, SF feels it's being very clever, when it's the exact opposite, in my opinion.
    I've just watched Arrival. I was blown away.

I hope villeneuve gets bond 25. Visual and intelligent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I feel we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves with regards to this Villeneuve news. I want him to direct B25 more than anyone, but the man is already committed (and contractually obligated, I'd imagine) to another project.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Had they announced Demange a few weeks ago, I would have been 100% happy with him, but now I definitely want Villeneuve after Baz Bamigboye's little tease. In fact, I want him to direct Bond 25 so much that I've decided that if they announce ANYONE else as the director, I will throw the biggest temper tantrum this forum has ever seen.

You never fail to crack me up.
    Villenevue wont be doing it I dont think but ill change my mind if his schedule magically clears up. theyve managed to keep the director a secret thus far. Its either Mendes or somewhow they managed to get Nolan & kept it real quiet.
    Hasn't Villeneuve dubbed Dune "the project of his life" or something to that effect.?
  • re: Eon has kept the director quiet.

Possibly because they have still nailed the choice down. If Bamigboye is correct, they haven't. If they have, a couple of sub-possibilities.

1) It's Villeneuve and Craig is lobbying for him. But if that's the case, Craig doesn't have to lobby so that doesn't have to make sense.

2) It's somebody else and Craig is lobbying for Villeneuve. If that's the case, that leads to some interesting possibilities (most involving discord) but there's too little information to even speculate about that.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    2) It's somebody else and Craig is lobbying for Villeneuve. If that's the case, that leads to some interesting possibilities (most involving discord) but there's too little information to even speculate about that.
    This had occurred to me. I suppose a distributor has some say in this too.
  • I think Villeneuve makes sense as far as carrying on with the more 'arty' tone they've had since QOS. Just my guess, but it's hard at this point to imagine them going back to a straight actioner.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I suppose a distributor has some say in this too.
    Probably, but you couldn't possibly find a distributor who wouldn't be overjoyed with Villeneuve directing their movie.
    Have the films become so big now that they need a tried and tested big name director?
    Please, please, let Denis get a chance to direct Bond 25! That would be wonderful and really send Dan out on a massively positive note.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    The @Bond25film fan account on twitter posted this today (does a member here run it?).

"Contacted the British Council for Film and they have since removed Thomas Newman from "Music" for #Bond25. film.britishcouncil.org/bond-25"

And

"They added that they'll now only update the composer listing when they have *definitive* news."

Looks like the British Council for Film jumped the gun on Thomas Newman and have since removed him from their site.
    http://film.britishcouncil.org/bond-25
    Hallelujah.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Good...thanks for letting us know, @mybudgetbond ,and welcome to MI6 !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Murdock must have sent them threats.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't see Mendes's name there. That list is obviously not up to date.
    Good old @Murdock, may the Lord bless him!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The @Bond25film fan account on twitter posted this today (does a member here run it?).
    Moi. :)
    And welcome to the forum.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Moi. :)
    And welcome to the forum.

Ah good! Thanks for your sleuthing:-)

Apparently, Blade Runner 2049 is now being hailed as a masterpiece.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/blade-runner/news/a839088/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions/

I would have that belief that Villeneuve is directing the next Bond film and that Craig, along with the Eon production team, will go out of their way to get him for the gig just because Craig himself alone is "keen" on him. And besides, for two years, Villeneuve has been a fan favourite.
    We need this guy on board.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Does Villeneuve have a preferred composer he works with?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    He typically works with Jóhann Johansson. An excellent composer, though a little unsuited for Bond, IMO.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    jake24 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    He typically works with Jóhann Johansson. An excellent composer, though a little unsuited for Bond, IMO.

The little of Jóhann Johansson work I've heard, I've really liked, but yes, not particularly well suited for Bond.