Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,480
    'Blade Runner 2049' will clock in at a hearty 150 minutes.

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-running-time/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am glad. It looks damn good.
    That's a good run time! Lets face it? We have waited long enough for this movie!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 45,489
    35 years. Imagine if we had a production thread going.

The mind boggles!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 6,844

We would have had plenty of healthy debate about Batman and religion!

(Is "healthy" the right word?)

EDIT: Also, I'm looking forward to the "Blade Runner 2049, most fun Blade Runner film in decades?" thread.
    And The MI6 Community Mercerism discussion thread.
  • And The MI6 Community Mercerism discussion thread.

Which of course would cover the same volatile grounds as the "BR2049 Production Diary" and "Blade Runner 2049, most fun Blade Runner film in decades?" threads.
    two-and-a-half hours somehow fits to the bits we´ve seen so far, if they are what I suspect as much as wish they are.
    And The MI6 Community Mercerism discussion thread.

Which of course would cover the same volatile grounds as the "BR2049 Production Diary" and "Blade Runner 2049, most fun Blade Runner film in decades?" threads.

Yes, within a couple of days.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

We would have had plenty of healthy debate about Batman and religion!

(Is "healthy" the right word?)

EDIT: Also, I'm looking forward to the "Blade Runner 2049, most fun Blade Runner film in decades?" thread.

I think most of those discussions would surprisingly reflect around Rutger's killing of his "creator" as the prodigal son, and not about any spats between members. Which would be refreshing, in a way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The original 'Blade Runner' sequel would've sent Deckard to Russia:

http://collider.com/blade-runner-sequel-russia/
    First thing I hear of it. Interesting. There is a Russian agent in the book, so maybe that is the inspiration for it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm preparing to be let down by this movie in a major way. :( But of course, I *HAVE* to see it... maybe if I set my expectations incredibly low, I might actually not hate it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The original 'Blade Runner' sequel would've sent Deckard to Russia:

http://collider.com/blade-runner-sequel-russia/
    Not sure if I would have liked that idea. Showing Moscow the way L.A. is shown sounds intriguing, but Off-World colonies don´t sound as if the cold war would be much of a topic anymore. So what would be the use of having Deckard in Moscow?

chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm preparing to be let down by this movie in a major way. :( But of course, I *HAVE* to see it... maybe if I set my expectations incredibly low, I might actually not hate it.
    @chrisisall, I´m pretty sure that on the level of a film, not as a sequel to a cult film, BR2049 will be pretty interesting, don´t you think too?

• There will be something of value in BR 2049, for sure. With the amount of talent on board, at the very least it should be a beautiful disaster. I mean, even just with Deakins on board...

Maybe I'll walk out hating it. Maybe it'll take me a few watches to warm to it. Whatever the case, I am excited to see it.
    Considering that hardly anyone fell in love with the original film at first sight, I have no idea how Villeneuve is approaching this. But the trailers so far have me hooked.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @chrisisall, I´m pretty sure that on the level of a film, not as a sequel to a cult film, BR2049 will be pretty interesting, don´t you think too?
    I have no doubt at all that it will be a good & interesting movie, given the talent at work.
    Will I love it as I do the original (that was love at first viewing)? Doubtful.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I have no doubt at all that it will be a good & interesting movie, given the talent at work.
    Will I love it as I do the original (that was love at first viewing)? Doubtful.

This has, more or less, been my view. It will take A LOT to live up to the original.

But I'm hoping, if it isn't love at first sight, I will come to genuinely appreciate the film for its strengths as I have with Skyfall (which really disappointed me upon first watch, far worse than Spectre actually).
    20 min interview with Denis Villeneuve:

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-denis-villeneuve-interview/#images

He confirms there will be no narration. He says he gave some pages of narration to Harrison Ford as a joke. He doesn´t say whether Ford broke his nose for that, but he looks unharmed.
    I guess it doesn t fit with the story.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Well, it wasn´t needed in the original, so I guess it´s only common sense to let the music do the talking.
    Talking about music, Villeneuve also mentions how it was no question at all from the start to base the music on Vengelis´ BR score.

• edited July 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Talking about music, Villeneuve also mentions how it was no question at all from the start to base the music on Vengelis´ BR score.

Beautiful. That's a great confirmation that the music will be part of the fabric of Vangelis's. I think I'm looking more forward to the music than the film itself. If done right, the score should be insane in the best way possible. Insane how good it is.
    Well, it wasn´t needed in the original, so I guess it´s only common sense to let the music do the talking.

I disagree, the narration is a big part of the special mood the movie has.
    I disagree with your disagree. When i saw BR in the cinema i hated the narration and the final scene. I wasnt surprised when i found out Scott was forced to put both on to appease studio and preview audience. Therefore i find the Directors cut the definitive film! Glad to hear there wont be narration on the new film!

I´m perfectly happy with the final cut, it has special mood galore, and I don´t miss any explanations without the narration.

I´m perfectly happy with the final cut, it has special mood galore, and I don´t miss any explanations without the narration.
    For ME, the narration is a mood-enhancing effect. It gives it that 40's film noir feel. As explanation it's fairly useless- one can figure it all out easily without it.

• edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767
    chrisisall wrote: »

For ME, the narration is a mood-enhancing effect. It gives it that 40's film noir feel. As explanation it's fairly useless- one can figure it all out easily without it.
    For ME, the 40s noir feel is perfectly tranymitted by the whole film even without the narration. The narration in the old noir films was always a rather clumsy attempt at emulating the noir feel from especially Chandler´s stories. It´s more reciting literature than adapting it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Chinatown is clearly influenced by Chandler and film noir but that doesn't need a narration, god forbid test audiences would have been able to influence the studio sticking a Nicholson narration over that and the plot to that is far from straight forward for many.

I agree Bladerunner is much better without it and the final cut for me is the preferred to me it's definitive but that's my opinion.

Can't wait for BR 2049 looks a real treat all round.
  • Hans Zimmer is now scoring Blade Runner 2049:

heroichollywood.com/blade-runner-2049-score/

He will be working with someone I'm not familiar with but whom he's worked with before—Ben Wallfisch—and at least one of Johannsson's themes will be retained.

I have to say I was concerned about Johannsson scoring the world of Blade Runner after hearing his rather subdued electronic textures in Sicario and Arrival. There just wasn't any of that lush beauty or deep longing you associate with the music of Blade Runner. Zimmer, however, has demonstrated some of this in the past. And more recently, I'm looking at his electronic and deeply emotional score for Man of Steel, which suggests he could write some very cool things for Blade Runner. Say what you will about Hans, this is very good news to me.