Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Somehow, over the past 30+ years I've never seen any version of Bladerunner; I've been wondering which one to watch, this helps.

http://screenrant.com/blade-runner-2049-original-movie-canon/
    Hans Zimmer is now scoring Blade Runner 2049:

heroichollywood.com/blade-runner-2049-score/

He will be working with someone I'm not familiar with but whom he's worked with before—Ben Wallfisch—and at least one of Johannsson's themes will be retained.

I have to say I was concerned about Johannsson scoring the world of Blade Runner after hearing his rather subdued electronic textures in Sicario and Arrival. There just wasn't any of that lush beauty or deep longing you associate with the music of Blade Runner. Zimmer, however, has demonstrated some of this in the past. And more recently, I'm looking at his electronic and deeply emotional score for Man of Steel, which suggests he could write some very cool things for Blade Runner. Say what you will about Hans, this is very good news to me.
    Baaaahh, if this is true I´m shocked! Zimmer has no sensitivity for such a project.

My interest in this film just went down considerably, after soaring upon seeing the trailers.

• boldfinger wrote: »

He will be working with someone I'm not familiar with but whom he's worked with before—Ben Wallfisch—and at least one of Johannsson's themes will be retained.

I have to say I was concerned about Johannsson scoring the world of Blade Runner after hearing his rather subdued electronic textures in Sicario and Arrival. There just wasn't any of that lush beauty or deep longing you associate with the music of Blade Runner. Zimmer, however, has demonstrated some of this in the past. And more recently, I'm looking at his electronic and deeply emotional score for Man of Steel, which suggests he could write some very cool things for Blade Runner. Say what you will about Hans, this is very good news to me.
    Baaaahh, if this is true I´m shocked! Zimmer has no sensitivity for such a project.

My interest in this film just went down considerably, after soaring upon seeing the trailers.

There are many different modes to Hans Zimmer. There is the Hans Zimmer of Pirates of the Caribbean and Kung Fu Panda and there is the Hans Zimmer of Man of Steel and Interstellar—and everything in between. I have confidence he will approach the project with great reverence for Vangelis. The man came into his own as a composer during the 80s. And they obviously pulled Zimmer in because they were missing something in the music that they feel Zimmer can deliver.
    boldfinger wrote: »

There are many different modes to Hans Zimmer. There is the Hans Zimmer of Pirates of the Caribbean and Kung Fu Panda and there is the Hans Zimmer of Man of Steel and Interstellar—and everything in between. I have confidence he will approach the project with great reverence for Vangelis. The man came into his own as a composer during the 80s. And they obviously pulled Zimmer in because they were missing something in the music that they feel Zimmer can deliver.
    bs, they pulled Zimmer in because he delivers blockbuster sound on short notice. He has the machines and the human machinery, all calculated to cater to big movie studios. He is nowhere near capable of zoning into Vangelis´ BR soundtrack.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Doesn't get much more uninspired with him being hired. What a shame to see, Johannson really would've delivered.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I agree. Zimmer knows how to deliver the right emotional impact at crucial moments. He gets context and as you note, there are many sides to him. From what I read Johannson is still involved. Zimmer is there to pull it together.
  • To be fair, no one is capable of fully channeling Vangelis' original Blade Runner. Vangelis himself doesn't even appear to be capable of recapturing his former glory, just judging by his embarrassing 2007 "music inspired by Blade Runner" album.

Here's DV's quote on why Zimmer:

“Johann Johannsson of Iceland composes the main theme as planned. However, given the scale of the task, Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer joined the team to help Johann. It’s hard to get to Vangelis’ angle. We have Johann’s breathtaking atmospheric sounds, but I needed other things, and Hans helped us.”

According to him, Zimmer has helped them get closer to Vangelis.
    If Johannson wasn't scrapped entirely, then there's hope yet. Getting a good melding of all the artists could produce something spectacular. Time will tell.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree. Zimmer knows how to deliver the right emotional impact at crucial moments. He gets context and as you note, there are many sides to him. From what I read Johannson is still involved. Zimmer is there to pull it together.
    Zimmer has many sides, but no heart that he invests in his scores, except perhaps for single tracks.

To be fair, no one is capable of fully channeling Vangelis' original Blade Runner. Vangelis himself doesn't even appear to be capable of recapturing his former glory, just judging by his embarrassing 2007 "music inspired by Blade Runner" album.

Here's DV's quote on why Zimmer:

“Johann Johannsson of Iceland composes the main theme as planned. However, given the scale of the task, Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer joined the team to help Johann. It’s hard to get to Vangelis’ angle. We have Johann’s breathtaking atmospheric sounds, but I needed other things, and Hans helped us.”

According to him, Zimmer has helped them get closer to Vangelis.
    What else is he going to say?
  • I don't know what else he would say. Why should we assume he isn't speaking the truth? Given what I know of Zimmer and everyone involved, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Zimmer has some good scores. It isn t all just endless loud droning.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Lion King was his last good one. ;)
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I don't know what else he would say. Why should we assume he isn't speaking the truth? Given what I know of Zimmer and everyone involved, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    Because he is promoting a huge film. He´ll say anything that´ll help give a good appearance. It´s common practice in the entertainment industry, nothing mysterious.

Zimmer has some good scores. It isn t all just endless loud droning.
    It´s not at all just about endless loud droning. He has some good tracks and a lot of ear-catching sound effects, but he always, and I´m not aware of any exception, gives everything into a few tracks, while the rest, 60-80%, are mediocre at best. Not to mention that on blockbusters he mushes everything up by blending orchestra and synthesizer in an unhealthy way in the production process.

I liked his score for Gladiator a lot.
    I don't know what else he would say. Why should we assume he isn't speaking the truth? Given what I know of Zimmer and everyone involved, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    Because he is promoting a huge film. He´ll say anything that´ll help give a good appearance. It´s common practice in the entertainment industry, nothing mysterious.

Well true, but he can also be truthfully promoting the film. One doesn't rule out the other. For instance, maybe they hired DV because he was the most qualified to direct the film and not just because he had had some recent hits. Both can be true.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Zimmer has pulled from Vangelis before, with INCEPTION.

Here's hoping it's more like that than the unpleasant ramblings DUNKIRK.

I like Johannsson's stuff though, so I hope they stay true to their word and don't totally replace the music he has composed for it so far.

Despite some vague resemblances that sounds more than anything else like Zimmer. The production sound alone already is highly questionable. Obtrusive yet mostly hollow.

Did they ask Vangelis back?
  • Did they ask Vangelis back?

No, but Vangelis commented that he wouldn't have done it anyway. He said writing the music for Blade Runner—same as with Chariots of Fire—was a once in a lifetime thing and you can't follow that with a sequel.
    My favourite Vangelis soundtrack is L Apocalypse des Animaux. One of the few I ever bought.

Despite some vague resemblances that sounds more than anything else like Zimmer. The production sound alone already is highly questionable. Obtrusive yet mostly hollow.

Well, of course. I didn't say he aped Vangelis, but there are definitely certain similarities and you can certainly sense that he wanted to get a similar vibe across.

In the film, the INCEPTION score worked wonders and wasn't intrusive at all in my opinion. It added remarkable atmosphere to the film and the style fit the story like a glove. Quite a contrast to his work on DUNKIRK which was highly obnoxious and reached ear piercing levels of irritation.

Well, of course. I didn't say he aped Vangelis, but there are definitely certain similarities and you can certainly sense that he wanted to get a similar vibe across.
    But, you see, that´s exactly my gripe: I don´t want to sense that he wanted to get a similar vibe across. I want to be impressed by the music in a way that doesn´t leave space to think about possible intentions of the composer/producer.

In the film, the INCEPTION score worked wonders and wasn't intrusive at all in my opinion. It added remarkable atmosphere to the film and the style fit the story like a glove. Quite a contrast to his work on DUNKIRK which was highly obnoxious and reached ear piercing levels of irritation.
    I agree about Inception, but that kind of sound shouldn´t be anywhere in the same cosmos as a Bond film IMO.

I haven´t seen Dunkirk. I found the Interstellar score highly obnoxious, which however could also be the fault of it´s volume being way up in the overall sound mix. I remember having the opposite problem with TND after hearing the soundtrack album thoroughly, many parts are drowned out in the film sound mix.

But, you see, that´s exactly my gripe: I don´t want to sense that he wanted to get a similar vibe across. I want to be impressed by the music in a way that doesn´t leave space to think about possible intentions of the composer/producer.

I agree about Inception, but that kind of sound shouldn´t be anywhere in the same cosmos as a Bond film IMO.

I haven´t seen Dunkirk. I found the Interstellar score highly obnoxious, which however could also be the fault of it´s volume being way up in the overall sound mix. I remember having the opposite problem with TND after hearing the soundtrack album thoroughly, many parts are drowned out in the film sound mix.

I agree with the bolded statement above but I think he, coupled with Johannsson, will do a good job on Blade Runner, which is what I was getting at originally. I wouldn't want Zimmer near Bond at all.

Also agreed about TND's sound mix.

I agree with the bolded statement above but I think he, coupled with Johannsson, will do a good job on Blade Runner, which is what I was getting at originally. I wouldn't want Zimmer near Bond at all.

Also agreed about TND's sound mix.

I agree with everything here too:

1. Zimmer and Johannsson should impress on BR2049.
    2. No Zimmer for Bond, please.
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies: great score, sloppy sound mix.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I´m perfectly willing to let myself be impressed by the music of BR2049. Knowing Zimmer´s music, I find it hard hard to stay optimistic nevertheless. I´m sure there are enough synth nerds out there more capable of sculpting sounds for such a film.

Sorry, I think I kind of digressed with the Bond connection. Must have forgotten that this is the Blade Runner thread ;-).

• edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I thought it had already been confirmed, but 'Blade Runner 2049' officially receives an R-rating:

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-rating-r/
    I never spent any thoughts over it, but nevertheless, to read of the R-rating brings back a lot of my enthusiasm for the film.

I think the original BR was an R-rating, but considering what is shown in PG13 films these days, I wouldn´t have been disturbed if BR2049 would have gotten a lower rating. On the other hand, foregoing the younger audiences also gives the filmmakers the opportunity to create a mood for the film that adresses more the older audiences, which is something all too rare these days.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    New trailer for Blade Runner 2049 to be released tomorrow, here is the short teaser for it:

New trailer for Blade Runner 2049 to be released tomorrow, here is the short teaser for it:

Looking forward to it!