Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I´m not sure if I ever felt anything like that, but for me BR right away was a film for multiple viewing, something that would unfold over time.

I agree on that, for sure. Now that my head has cooled I don't view it as critically as I initially did, where I just had shock at what I saw. At this point I'm more ready to get back into it and see if there's more I can appreciate beyond the visuals and Rutger.

Were you not a fan of the score at all?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I´m not sure if I ever felt anything like that, but for me BR right away was a film for multiple viewing, something that would unfold over time.

I agree on that, for sure. Now that my head has cooled I don't view it as critically as I initially did, where I just had shock at what I saw. At this point I'm more ready to get back into it and see if there's more I can appreciate beyond the visuals and Rutger.

Oh no, the score was brilliant. But the performance of Rutger and the visuals were more overt "wow" moments for me.

Oh no, the score was brilliant. But the performance of Rutger and the visuals were more overt "wow" moments for me.

Very good! Was going to be worried if you somehow hated it. It's a classic to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Very good! Was going to be worried if you somehow hated it. It's a classic to me.

It certainly sets the mood, and I can play it in my head right now after just one watch of the movie (and albeit a couple of Blade Runner documentaries). Is the same guy (Vandelis I think?) back for the sequel? I haven't heard anything from the music side of the movie.

It certainly sets the mood, and I can play it in my head right now after just one watch of the movie (and albeit a couple of Blade Runner documentaries). Is the same guy (Vandelis I think?) back for the sequel? I haven't heard anything from the music side of the movie.

His name's Vangelis, and he won't be composing the new one. Jóhann Jóhannsson is in charge of 'Blade Runner 2049' - he's worked with Villeneuve on several films already, which is great. I'm a huge fan of the score for 'Sicario' and an even bigger fan of the one for 'Prisoners,' so I can't wait to hear what he has in store.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47
    We're totally in the same boat, you and I.
    I'll be there opening night, no doubt about it.
    And Jóhannsson's previous scores for Villeneuve's films, especially for ARRIVAL, get nothing but the highest praise from me.
    Well, at least the new guy has a history with Villeneuve and they can mesh well.
    Actually, having Villeneuve as the director instead of Scott gives me hopes for this sequel. And yes, he and Jóhannsson have successfully collaborated before. I honestly believe the Icelander dictates the general "atmosphere" on the films he scores, much like Vangelis did the same with the original BLADE RUNNER.

Incidentally, for those who, like me, adore BLADE RUNNER, this book came highly recommended to me back in the day and now I recommend it to you:

80234.jpg
    @DarthDimi, I agree about your views on Scott. I think he can be a bit too much like a George Lucas, who has so many "yes" people around him that he thinks all his ideas are gold. With Villeneuve, I think he's more of a conscious director who will count on his team to help him through it, and not expect all his ideas to be immediately green-lit. I also think he's able to be far more of a storyteller than Scott, who is far more on the visual and atmosphere side for me.

As for that book, I've heard a lot about it since I have been researching the film, and probably will pick it up at some point.
    @DarthDimi, RE: Future Noir, I've just checked Amazon and apparently the writer of the original edition, Paul Sammon, is doing an updated version of the text for release this September to coincide with the release of 2049. I'll hold out and get it then.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    It's a truly marvellous book. I remember paging through it the first time, and how it sent my already well established BR fandom through the roof.

I'm listening to the BR score right now. The "Blade Runner Blues" never fails to put tears in my eyes. Reminds me of the painful moment Deckard has to retire Zhora. Like a wounded animal, she gets up again and tries to survive. And he won't let her. Vangelis emphasises the sadness and despair of the moment and right there and then, makes me realise Deckard isn't our hero.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767

I find pretty much all of the characters very interesting, and how what they say reveals backgrounds and motivations. I find it fascinating how we learn some things about them, while we don´t get to see everything.
    And of course if you´re into noir detective stories á la Hammett or Chandler, BR is a feast. Actually my biggest concern about BR2049 is that the noir detective level might not be appreciated.

@DarthDimi, I agree about your views on Scott. I think he can be a bit too much like a George Lucas, who has so many "yes" people around him that he thinks all his ideas are gold. With Villeneuve, I think he's more of a conscious director who will count on his team to help him through it, and not expect all his ideas to be immediately green-lit. I also think he's able to be far more of a storyteller than Scott, who is far more on the visual and atmosphere side for me.
    Scott got himself a reputation in the 80s for creating very strong moods and atmospheres. Ironically, IMO those films that have the most impressing atmospheres, Alien and Blade Runner, have also very well-told stories, while other films that are set in "real life", tend to have much bigger problems on all fronts. At least until the 2000s, when Scott became more miss than hit. Nowadays, I agree with @DarthDimi, in that Villeneuve instead of Scott as director gives me hope. More than ever after AlienCovenant. It seems somewhere along the road Scott lost his hunger for creating something special and disregarding risks on the way. Villeneuve still seems to have that hunger.

I find pretty much all of the characters very interesting, and how what they say reveals backgrounds and motivations. I find it fascinating how we learn some things about them, while we don´t get to see everything.
    And of course if you´re into noir detective stories á la Hammett or Chandler, BR is a feast. Actually my biggest concern about BR2049 is that the noir detective level might not be appreciated.
    Scott got himself a reputation in the 80s for creating very strong moods and atmospheres. Ironically, IMO those films that have the most impressing atmospheres, Alien and Blade Runner, have also very well-told stories, while other films that are set in "real life", tend to have much bigger problems on all fronts. At least until the 2000s, when Scott became more miss than hit. Nowadays, I agree with @DarthDimi, in that Villeneuve instead of Scott as director gives me hope. More than ever after AlienCovenant. It seems somewhere along the road Scott lost his hunger for creating something special and disregarding risks on the way. Villeneuve still seems to have that hunger.

We definitely have different perceptions about the film's execution-especially when it comes to character and story-but I'm glad the content resonates with some.
    A new trailer will debut on GMA tomorrow, may drop even earlier. This link has a 20 second snippet of it with new footage:

https://trailer-track.com/2017/07/16/in-the-pipeline-new-blade-runner-2049-trailer-rated-ahead-of-sdcc/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think I'm going to really like this one. I love the retro-futuristic feel.

The only concern I have from the trailers is whether the villain will be impactful enough.
    I'm starting to get a big
    everyone is a replicant
    vibe the more I see. Absolutely cannot wait for this movie.
    See you on day one.
    @DaltonCraig007

Thank you so much for the alert. This may only be a trailer, but I'm very impressed already!
    Great stuff.
    Awesome. Probably the film I am most looking forward to this year. I will have to check out Dunkirk as well.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Okay so it looks lovely, although I feel they are giving away too many plot points here. They also make it look like an action film (which I suspect it isn't). My guess is that most people are already Replicants in 2049 but perhaps there is an underground network of "still human's" they are trying to enslave/eradicate/etc. Hopefully I'm way off on this, as that sounds horribly derivative to me. Expecting this to be on par with the original is of course unrealistic (especially considering how much time/effort it took for the original to become a recognised as a sci-fi classic).

I do hope Jóhannsson uses some hints of Vangelis's original score in this and perhaps has a suped up version of the awesome end-title theme during the end credits.
    Satorious wrote: »
    I do hope Jóhannsson uses some hints of Vangelis's original score in this and perhaps has a suped up version of the awesome end-title theme during the end credits.
    Just listening to that classic right now thanks to your post. Wonderful stuff.
  • Sounds like a killer trailer. (But also sounds like it gives some things away.) I think I'll skip any further trailers and go in fresh with nothing more than my cautious optimism.

A lot rests on the music here. The original score is impossible to live up to, but I'm very curious to hear what Johannsson comes up with. Following Vangelis—an unenviable task to be sure.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited July 2017 Posts: 3,985
    The bit in the trailer where the guy puts Ryan Gosling through the wall looks like a scene cut from the original film's screenplay.

Where Deckard was meant to arrive at a remote farmhouse and retire an obvious Replicant. Who after 'retiring,' Deckard gets its serial number from pulling out the Jawbone.
    The bit in the trailer where the guy puts Ryan Gosling through the wall looks like a scene cut from the original screenplay.
    That bit reminded me a lot of SP's train fight, given Bautista is in both scenes.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The bit in the trailer where the guy puts Ryan Gosling through the wall looks like a scene cut from the original screenplay.
    That bit reminded me a lot of SP's train fight, given Bautista is in both scenes.

I'm really hoping it plays out longer than what we see in the trailer, and we get a fight between the two. Would kill to see Bautista and Gosling go head-to-head in a knife fight, directed by Villeneuve.
    It's great to see Bautista in another big film. He seems to be making a career of throwing movie stars through walls. Anyone want to take bets on who his next victim will be?
    It's great to see Bautista in another big film. He seems to be making a career of throwing movie stars through walls. Anyone want to take bets on who his next victim will be?

Watch him pop up in 'Mission Impossible 7' or the final 'Star Wars' in this new trilogy or something. He seems to be appearing in every franchise these days.

Watch him pop up in 'Mission Impossible 7' or the final 'Star Wars' in this new trilogy or something. He seems to be appearing in every franchise these days.

@Creasy47, I'd love to see Bautista in an MI film, but not as a villain. He'd be cool as a team member of Hunt's, who runs into a room to help clear it out of guys like a wrecking ball as Ethan goes to complete some objective without the distraction. Bautista's got great comedic timing, so I think he could play an entertaining tank-like character with an enjoyment of knocking heads together. Ethan could find him on a black list of IMF agents who were kicked out of the service for being uncontrollable or wild, which would add something to the character.