Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

Watched Blade Runner yesterday again...for the 5th time...i still dont get on with it.
    Just not meant to be i think.
    @barry007, that sounds dangerously obsessive, like me and the last two Bond films, I come back to them again and again for some reason (denial?) and still don´t manage to really enjoy them. Just be glad BR isn´t a franchise (yet), so you don´t miss on any completeness if you don´t watch it ;-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @barry007, that sounds dangerously obsessive, like me and the last two Bond films, I come back to them again and again for some reason (denial?) and still don´t manage to really enjoy them. Just be glad BR isn´t a franchise (yet), so you don´t miss on any completeness if you don´t watch it ;-).

To make things worse ,i dont like Ryan Gosling either,he seems a weak actor...not looking good...i really want to like BR ,but i just...dont.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @barryt007, you and me are exactly in the same lane, and I only know of one other person here who is with us (in being critical of the film).

I'll be giving the film a rewatch or two for every cut in the future to experience all of it, but I won't be going overboard. I know when I don't like something and when I never will like it, so I won't be like the folks who have tried to watch the latest Bond film about three times more than the people who actually enjoy it. At some point you have to accept and move on. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I love Blade Runner though it's a film I watch ever few years it's not a film I can watch frequently, I have managed to avoid information regarding the new film I'll rewatch Blade Runner the night before I go to see Blade Runner 2049.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm planning on catching Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX, will be my first IMAX viewing ever. Can't wait.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm planning on catching Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX, will be my first IMAX viewing ever. Can't wait.

You probably could not have picked a better film as a first IMAX viewing, 2049 will be visually stunning though admittedly after watching The Arrival my expectations are not over the top as Villeneuve has not yet convinced me he can do Sci Fi
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Really? That's surprising to me. My first (and last) was The Dark Knight Rises. Really not a fan, as the whole presentation gets in its own way and doesn't actually strengthen the film going experience for me. But I'm old fashioned, so there was little chance I'd care regardless.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Blade Runner (International Cut) still rocks my world like License To Kill does. Harrison & Timothy both sell it so well it's scary.
    barryt007 wrote: »

To make things worse ,i dont like Ryan Gosling either,he seems a weak actor...not looking good...i really want to like BR ,but i just...dont.
    You should feel good about the prospect of saving a lot of money. I find the new film, albeit with ambivalence, very intriguing. If it turns out as I suspect I will watch it multiple times at the cinema and become a poor man ;-).

@barryt007, you and me are exactly in the same lane, and I only know of one other person here who is with us (in being critical of the film).

I'll be giving the film a rewatch or two for every cut in the future to experience all of it, but I won't be going overboard. I know when I don't like something and when I never will like it, so I won't be like the folks who have tried to watch the latest Bond film about three times more than the people who actually enjoy it. At some point you have to accept and move on. ;)

Thank God i'm not alone,i thought I was missing something about the film that everyone else thought was wonderful !

You should feel good about the prospect of saving a lot of money. I find the new film, albeit with ambivalence, very intriguing. If it turns out as I suspect I will watch it multiple times at the cinema and become a poor man ;-).

Indeed...I will catch it on SKY Cinema when it comes on..maybe.

Really? That's surprising to me. My first (and last) was The Dark Knight Rises. Really not a fan, as the whole presentation gets in its own way and doesn't actually strengthen the film going experience for me. But I'm old fashioned, so there was little chance I'd care regardless.

The closest one to me is a solid three hours out, so it's hard for me to justify a visit, hence why I've never gone. This one seems worth it, visually.
    I love widescreen format...

The closest one to me is a solid three hours out, so it's hard for me to justify a visit, hence why I've never gone. This one seems worth it, visually.

I completely get that, @Creasy47. I don't even know the closest IMAX in my dirt small town, and the only reason I went to an IMAX showing for TDKR at all was because I was traveling down state at the time of its release where they have actual things to do and theaters that can afford to put on those kinds of screenings! Crazy. ;)
    Thank God i'm not alone,i thought I was missing something about the film that everyone else thought was wonderful !

I was quite depressed about it. So many years hearing it was this amazing masterpiece, but my reaction to it was not great, and so much of it fell flat for me; horrible treatment of theme, weak characterization, sloppy narrative. Great visuals, and visuals that have been ripped off hundreds of times, but beyond looking interesting I can't find much reason to return to it half as much as I wish I could.

That's a shame too, as it's very much a film that should be for me, in that it doesn't hold your hand. I guess the issue being that, in this case, BR doesn't want to hold on to any of you for too long, especially your brain. ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I definitely prefer Alien to Blade Runner but I do acknowledge though that it is a masterpiece and hugely influential,

I don't get 2001 SO, yes it;s hugely influential and it looks amazing but I was bored rigid and and left cold after viewing it.

So not getting Blade Runner is fine by me, Alien does far more for me.

That being said I'm pumped for Blade Runner 2049 but that might be more down to Villenueve, if it was Ridley directing I think I would be passing on a theatrical visit but with DV yes I'm salivating at the prospect and in IMAX my first since TDKR, my only other IMAX was TDK.
    It's funny how a good number of us have only dabbled in IMAX when it was a Nolan film we were seeing. Of course, he did do a lot to make IMAX a part of the industry, so that isn't too strange a thing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've seen all the Nolan's since TDK in IMAX and they have all been spectacular (and almost unmatched) viewing experiences. That opening heist in the 2nd Bat outing (which started with the grappling hook smashing through glass on a sunny day along with the Joker's theme playing) still remains one of the most thrilling sequences I've witnessed in a theatre. The best of all of course was Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX, which was quite extraordinary.

If they're using IMAX cameras then Bladerunner will be worth it in that format. If not, then I wouldn't bother. One really needs the 70mm 'tall screen' format for the best effect, and that only works if they've used the IMAX equipment to film it (unlike Bond for instance, which are viewable in IMAX but don't generate the same impact).

@Creasy47 , the key with IMAX is booking early and getting the right seat in the theatre. Usually dead centre and about 2/3 of the way back. If in doubt, go a little farther back rather than closer to the screen. Also, if they don't have 70MM IMAX in that theatre, then it's perhaps not worth it. Here's a list of the theaters with such format in US/Canada.

http://www.nolanfans.com/2017/06/24/list-of-us-and-canada-70mm-dunkirk-locations-hidden-on-official-website/

I completely get that, @Creasy47. I don't even know the closest IMAX in my dirt small town, and the only reason I went to an IMAX showing for TDKR at all was because I was traveling down state at the time of its release where they have actual things to do and theaters that can afford to put on those kinds of screenings! Crazy. ;)

I was quite depressed about it. So many years hearing it was this amazing masterpiece, but my reaction to it was not great, and so much of it fell flat for me; horrible treatment of theme, weak characterization, sloppy narrative. Great visuals, and visuals that have been ripped off hundreds of times, but beyond looking interesting I can't find much reason to return to it half as much as I wish I could.

That's a shame too, as it's very much a film that should be for me, in that it doesn't hold your hand. I guess the issue being that, in this case, BR doesn't want to hold on to any of you for too long, especially your brain. ;)
    If it´s any comfort for you, I don´t care much for Kubrick films or Citizen Kane, and I consider myself to be a cineast ;-).

bondjames wrote: »
    I've seen all the Nolan's since TDK in IMAX and they have all been spectacular (and almost unmatched) viewing experiences. That opening heist in the 2nd Bat outing (which started with the grappling hook smashing through glass on a sunny day along with the Joker's theme playing) still remains one of the most thrilling sequences I've witnessed in a theatre. The best of all of course was Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX, which was quite extraordinary.

If they're using IMAX cameras then Bladerunner will be worth it in that format. If not, then I wouldn't bother. One really needs the 70mm 'tall screen' format for the best effect, and that only works if they've used the IMAX equipment to film it (unlike Bond for instance, which are viewable in IMAX but don't generate the same impact).

@Creasy47 , the key with IMAX is booking early and getting the right seat in the theatre. Usually dead centre and about 2/3 of the way back. If in doubt, go a little farther back rather than closer to the screen. Also, if they don't have 70MM IMAX in that theatre, then it's perhaps not worth it. Here's a list of the theaters with such format in US/Canada.

http://www.nolanfans.com/2017/06/24/list-of-us-and-canada-70mm-dunkirk-locations-hidden-on-official-website/

For what it's worth, they're doing the same thing on BR in IMAX as they did on Skyfall - have the frame open up to 1.90:1 (which is the aspect ratio of the smaller digital IMAX venues, where the image will fill the whole screen)
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    antovolk wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

For what it's worth, they're doing the same thing on BR in IMAX as they did on Skyfall - have the frame open up to 1.90:1 (which is the aspect ratio of the smaller digital IMAX venues, where the image will fill the whole screen)
    Oh I didn't know that. It should help for sure, but if I'm not mistaken only the IMAX camera can deliver the higher resolution for the larger/taller screen. Dunkirk was super crisp in this 70mm format (one could even see detail in the glistening water from a distance).
    @bondjames, thank you so much - I know nothing of the tech behind IMAX, and after checking, one of the two closest IMAX theaters is 70MM, so I'll have to go with that one!
    My pleasure @Creasy47. I really hope you enjoy it.

Outside of Nolan I don't know anyone who films major motion pictures with the IMAX 65mm cameras anymore but when something comes up that is filmed with those cameras (like he does) then I'd strongly recommend you make the trek for that because it is a far more immersive experience.

I've seen other films (like SF) in IMAX theatres and they were good, but nothing like how it is with the original equipment.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/19/15985474/dunkirk-explainer-format-imax-digital-70mm-35mm-buy-ticket
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Tickets booked for 07/10/17 and in IMAX, seriously can't wait!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Me and @DarthDimi are planning on seeing BR2049 on the 4th of October (opening day in our respective countries, France and Belgium). So 18 days to go!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I wouldn't mind seeing the new Blade Runner. "Wouldn't mind" being the operative term. It's so rare for me to catch a film in he cinemas these days unless it's a new Bond (which rarely happens anymore).
    Having learned my lesson after seeing Man of Steel as well as the Amazing Spider-Man reboot, big event films just fail to live up to expectations. All CGI with little character development or charismatic leading actors.
    However, Blade Runner 2049 does at least look pretty cool and it's always fun for me to see Harrison back in action. Ryan Gosling I can leave or take, though.
    The 163 minute run time gives me doubts and more than indicates a trip to redbox for this one.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 2,107
    I confess that I'm not really a fan of the original. Don't get me wrong, I like the themes of the film and visuals, but the chatacters are all pretty paper thin. Decard, also , is very unlikeable protagonist and not very interesting character. Ford almost feels like he's sleepwalking through the scenes. What's worse, Decard clearly forces himself on Rachael. Not a character I much care to root for.

I still own it on dvd, because there's something that has been stuck in me. If only the visuals and theme of mortality. But I actually liked the Blade Runner game that came in 1997, more than the film. It's set in the same timeframe but had different protagonist and replicants being chased. There was also few cameos from the movie.

edit: so many typos. Must be tired.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing the new Blade Runner. "Wouldn't mind" being the operative term. It's so rare for me to catch a film in he cinemas these days unless it's a new Bond (which rarely happens anymore).
    Having learned my lesson after seeing Man of Steel as well as the Amazing Spider-Man reboot, big event films just fail to live up to expectations. All CGI with little character development or charismatic leading actors.
    However, Blade Runner 2049 does at least look pretty cool and it's always fun for me to see Harrison back in action. Ryan Gosling I can leave or take, though.
    The 163 minute run time gives me doubts and more than indicates a trip to redbox for this one.

This movie seems best for a theatrical viewing, and you can't beat a 163 minute movie for the same price tag as, say, something that's only 90 minutes. I get that feeling, though, of not going to cinemas too often. Back in my teens, I'd be there every weekend of every year seeing at least one or two movies. Now, I'm lucky to catch ten films a year, if that.
    Not including re-releases of classics, I usually only go to the theater 3-6 times a year for new films. Only go for the ones I am particularly excited for.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

This movie seems best for a theatrical viewing, and you can't beat a 163 minute movie for the same price tag as, say, something that's only 90 minutes. I get that feeling, though, of not going to cinemas too often. Back in my teens, I'd be there every weekend of every year seeing at least one or two movies. Now, I'm lucky to catch ten films a year, if that.

Since SP the only cinematic film I've seen was the new Wonder Woman. A lot of it is lack of spare time. My days off usually get filled up fast with errands and things to do. In addition, with movie tickets the prices they are now, I can distinctly recall exiting several big budget films feeling I wasted that $12-$15. Damn for that I could have easily upgraded a couple Bond DVDs to Blu-ray.