Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    ''BLADE RUNNER 2049 is sci-fi masterpiece; the kind of deep-cut genre film we don't see anymore. Visually mind blowing, absolutely fantastic''

''#BladeRunner2049 was one of the most mind-blowing films I've seen. It's breathtaking and transportive. Denis Villeneuve has a masterpiece.''

''Blade Runner 2049 is phenomenal. Visually mind-blowing sci-fi w/ noir roots shining through in a tight, twisty mystery. Best of 2017 so far''

"Astonishing... More than just a visual wonder, it's a groundbreaking science fiction masterpiece."

''Even if you have no interest in the film, the breathtaking Cinematography by Roger Deakins is worth the price of admission. He’s a God.''
    Very promising. I'm a relative late comer to the Bladerunner fandom (I've only viewed it twice, with the first watch being a long time back and the second viewing about a month or so ago being very inspiring), so if this film is a reasonably entertaining and visually pleasing entry I'll be more than happy. I'm sure Deakins will deliver, if nothing else.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll avoid boarding the hype train for this one. It's this kind of thing that got me started off on the wrong foot with the original, and which contributed to my less than sunny reaction to it.

I just wish the marketing had been better. I've encountered unskippable ads that are only 12 to 30 seconds, yet I feel I know so much about the film that I never should've. So many moments that would've been interesting to see dry, now perfectly transparent and ones I'll be able to spot a mile away if I end up seeing it in the theater. It's the way trailers and TV spots are now, but it's depressing when you can't avoid them and when a movie is spoiled in them for no good reason.

Gotta get you that Adblock, or at least avoid sites like YouTube when it's not an option.

I have Adblock, but I don't turn it on when I'm on YouTube watching content I like and want to support, so ads inevitably come up on every monetized video. Then there's the ones of TV too, which are even worse. I hit the mute button and try to close my eyes, but on the whole I still think that far too much was shared of the movie than there should've been. It's a damn Blade Runner sequel, people like flock to it either as fans or as casual viewers to see how good it is or how much it got cocked up depending on perspective. It's just funny to me that the films that are marketed the worst are those that never needed such heavy and spoiler-filled marketing, with Batman vs. Superman and The Amazing Spider-Man films coming to mind for recent examples.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Dn29hzo.jpg

I told you to only board the hype train on special occasions. ;)

@DaltonCraig007, I don't buy tickets for that particular train much anymore, as modern filmmaking has made me quite cynical and uninterested in getting any expectations. Bond is really the only thing left that I really allow myself to feel excitement for, as I usually get burned with anything else. I can get burned by Bond too at times, but with it being the only series that really gets me going these days, I feel like I deserve to feel some excitement about the coming film/s if I can't with other things.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Don't worry, I understood what you meant, I just thought the mention of hype train was the perfect opportunity to place that picture of Statham. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Don't worry, I understood what you meant, I just thought the mention of hype train was the perfect opportunity to place that picture of Statham. :D

Jason doesn't look like he's having much fun, so in a way his expression is a nice visual metaphor for how I usually end up looking and feeling when I get off the hype train at the next station. A look that says, "Why did I chose to board?" and "Why do I keep putting myself through this?"

Jason doesn't look like he's having much fun, so in a way his expression is a nice visual metaphor for how I usually end up looking and feeling when I get off the hype train at the next station. A look that says, "Why did I chose to board?" and "Why do I keep putting myself through this?"

That's how I feel after my commute into London every bloody day.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    5 Star review for Blade Runner 2049 on the Empire magazine website.

Sounds like this is going to be an incredible experience. Especially for fans of the original. And thankfully as the review conveys, this is NOT an action film.

Sounds like this is going to be an incredible experience. Especially for fans of the original. And thankfully as the review conveys, this is NOT an action film.

Well, the critical response is already better than it was for the first, so perception has changed. It waits to be seen if the film earns it. ;)

Well, the critical response is already better than it was for the first, so perception has changed. It waits to be seen if the film earns it. ;)

I will wait for it on Sky.

barryt007 wrote: »

I will wait for it on Sky.

I haven't decided if I will see it in theaters or not. If I don't I won't lose sleep, but I'm sure if I don't it'll end up being spoiled for me as it usually happens with other films of this scope.

One thing I already like this movie for is the fact that I know it won't have 40 different cuts of it being released every ten years like the last one. Dennis will make his movie and stick to it!
    Last film I saw at the cinema was Wonder Woman which while being an excellent film the presentation was awful.

I want to see BR at the cinema, so perhaps I will try a different cinema for it.

5 Stars from Total Film as well.....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm going to see BR2049 this Wednesday at 1:30pm. So close now!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am waiting until the weekend.
    Gonna have to wait til' next week dammit!
    Sounds promising. Going to see this on Friday.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hope you lot enjoy the film here in the coming days. I've no clue when I'll be getting the chance to see it now, so I'm going to avoid this thread until I do.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Gonna have to wait til' next week dammit!
    Me too, im having to see it the following saturday which sucks. Gonna have to stay away from this thread for a while now
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This Saturday afternoon in IMAX.

I can't wait, it has been said in the reviews that much of the film has been left out of the trailers purposely.

Also those thinking they've seen loads in trailers and TV spots, from what has been said of those who've seen it that there is so much more that hasn't been seen.

The fact it's not an action film as some of the trailers alude to is so refreshing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wednesday, guys. Two days from now, I'll have seen the film if all goes well. Super-exited. Just watched BR The Final Cut for the 20th or so time. My girlfriend didn't like the film at all. Her mistake. ;-)
    @DarthDimi we'll discuss it in PM's in order to not spoil anyone!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Very well, sir. :-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The initial positive reviews are good in one sense that I want this film to be a success, though I recall how badly the first film was received so as I always do I'll make my own mind up. I have watched Blade Runner hundreds of times over the years top five science fiction film to me for several reasons Roy Batty's final lines resonate as well as the best scenes in cinema IMO, I hope the new Blade Runner justifies it's existence more than anything.

I have avoided as much as I could with the trailers and reviews etc, going in knowing very little thankfully
    I have the option to view it on Friday in either 3D (with comparable sound to IMAX) or genuine IMAX (without the 3D) and am debating which one to go for. If the film is optimized for 3D then it may be the better bet.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd go for genuine IMAX, @bondjames. Speaking for myself, there has yet to be an instance where 3D hasn't totally hampered my enjoyment of seeing a film for the first time. Totally cheapens the experience for me. IMO, it's better to leave it to what everyone involved envisioned for you to see, rather than some tampering by a third party.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 10,588
    By the way, I seriously cannot wait for this film. The original Blade Runner has been sitting on my shelf untouched for months, but I plan on finally viewing it before seeing 2049 this weekend. Villeneuve will not disappoint.
    Thanks @jake24. That's probably what I'm going to do, although I don't think BR2049 was filmed using IMAX cameras. They can optimize it for the technology, but in my experience it won't be anywhere like the real thing (which is what one gets with the Nolan films).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I have a lot of catching up to do, with American Made and Mother, but I may just catch this in theaters. I like Ryan Gosling; the guy is a bona fide movie star (surely I'm not the only one for whom the leading actor is a big factor in picking a film to watch).
    Villeneuve "explains" why he switched Johannson for Zimmer/Wallfisch:

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-composer-replacement-explained-johann-johannsson/

Sounds to me like a diplomatic formulation of the studio being afraid to have some more "independent" music on this film, instead trying to play it save by having something reminiscent of the original film´s score. Especially if Johannson is contractually forbidden to talk about it.

That doesn´t have to mean the music will not be top notch. I can´t wait to see the film this week. I´m afraid I´ll have to wait ´till Friday.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,376

No spoilers interesting comments by Kermode
    Thanks for sharing that Kermode video. I love his story of Scott and Villeneuve arguing about the originals central theme. One of my biggest concerns with a Blade Runner sequel is that I'm worried they'll answer the questions offered up by the original and therefore dispel its mystique.

That video gives me some bit of hope that this may not be case.
    TR007 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that Kermode video. I love his story of Scott and Villeneuve arguing about the originals central theme. One of my biggest concerns with a Blade Runner sequel is that I'm worried they'll answer the questions offered up by the original and therefore dispel its mystique.

That video gives me some bit of hope that this may not be case.

My impression from what Kermode says is that it may remain ambiguous which I feel is the best way to do it