No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No mention of Bond 25 on this quarter's stockholder call. Interestingly, Barber lists the films on MGM's slate that have entered pre-production, from which B25 is absent.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    No mention of Bond 25 on this quarter's stockholder call. Interestingly, Barber lists the films on MGM's slate that have entered pre-production, from which B25 is absent.

Pretty shocking. Didn't even reiterate that the film is "in production"? That almost seems like going backwards. Maybe the distribution deal is holding things up more than we thought. I did think it was strange that we hadn't heard anything yet.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Milovy wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Wasn't it M who posthumously directed Bond to find Sciarra? Either way it touches on a point I've made, when the next timeline begins, I would like to see EON have I place a 5 film blueprint that charts the overall story arc while leaving flexibility for a stand alone, or two, that have little or nothing to do with it.
    I prefer Cubby's approach to making Bond films: one at a time, and never take for granted that more will be made. Put your all into the film presently being made. (I also don't think Bond lends itself terribly well to a multi-film story arc.)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Each and every feanchise film has to prove itsself over and over. You could also say, the more they spit them out like there is Nö tomorrow, the faster there will ne fatigue.
    Indeed. With something like Star Wars, where they're planning to release a film every year, and there's merchandise all over shelves and media coverage all year... I'm sick of it.

Same here
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,126

Seriously give me a break when is the next investor relations conference call?

Wonderful when is the next conference call
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    August.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Here's Variety's take. Everything is pretty much up in the air according to them.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mgm-earnings-decline-bond-movie-1202429427/
    Something is definitely up. If they are about to start shooting in December then they deserve serious props for keeping so much hidden for so long. But I think it is becoming clear that something just isn't right here, even if the exact nature of the problem is as of yet unknown. It's safe to assume the distribution deal has something to do with it.
    Of all the Craig film productions, this is probably the least concerning to me. Things will work themselves out.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I believe we were reported of the Range Rover purchase that was supposed to transport Bond to the secret MI-6 location in Skyfall a little than a month prior before shooting was scheduled. And then, there was the cabin building report that took place three months prior to shooting the plane crashing through the cabin scene in Spectre. So, I am assuming there is some serious development standing behind all these.
    August.

There better be something by then by the end of the summer
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If the earnings decline has to do with no Bond, surely that sets the fire that'll get B25 made ASAP?
    Although I'm sure they're not dragging their heels on it at any rate...
    Hopefully we hear something soon.
    This thing almost seems like a flat tire MGM is too lazy to fix because it has three other tires to drive on. They just keep ignoring bond and its getting predictable and old. If MGM keeps operating on this flat tire Daniel Craig will be gone then what thier financial benefits from his films are now gone and they have to start over.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It may end up being 2 years since SPECTRE and we will still not have any bond25 news which is pathetic
    The earliest we"ll get something from EON will be this fall.
    It may end up being 2 years since SPECTRE and we will still not have any bond25 news which is pathetic

Go to the front page we have had something to discuss once a month
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,993
    JWPepper wrote: »
    So much talk, so much nonsense in here.

Guys, like I said on numerous occassions, Bond will be back as early as late 2019. Perhaps even 2020, given the lacklustre 'air' surrounding every person of the Bond family: indie-nerd Barbara Broccoli, artiefarty-boy Greg Williams and his electronic synthesizer projects, photography collector Michael Wilson, the uninspired Purvis & Wade duo, who think Bond is 'obsolete' now, since there are too many real-life 'Blofeld's', actor Daniel Craig who is in no hurry, but without that lack of urgency he indirectly doesn't care about Bond and its fans now, etc, etc....

And in the meanwhile franchises like "Fast & Furious", "Mission: Impossible", "Captain America" and "Kingsman" are eating away more and more market share from our beloved Bond, and will make the brand "Bond" slowly but steadily a footnote in today's action franchises. Sorry for sounding so blunt, but I don't know what else I should contribute to in this topic.....

What a load of nonsense. What's got Greg Williams to do with it?
    Bond 25 will be released next year. the pressconference will be in november or december. Spectre en Skyfall were both huge sucesses.

Yes, what a bunch of poppycock. Someone needs to make a list of all the films that Bond has gone up against and survived. Titanic, for one.
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    B25 is not in production and the movies not going out until 2020 at least so what is the point of this thread?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    Marvel will probably not still be churning then out in 20 or even 10 years though.

IMO

And you'd be wrong. People have been talking about superhero fatigue since before 2012, they've been talking about Marvel failing from the very first Iron Man film. 10 years later from 2008, Marvel Studios is the biggest player in cinematic history and turned films that include a talking racoon and dancing tree into a $Billion franchise. They've got the next 4 years on complete lock down and have already mapped out plans and directions as to how they're going to change and switch things up post 2021; and that's key for longevity. EoN talk a good game about modernity and moving forward but they're clearly stuck in the past and don't know how to navigate themselves properly even there.

Someone mentioned how MS have years of material to use. Funnily enough, the films tell original stories, using a very small amount from the comics. Where they shine is capturing and conveying the essence of who the characters are which they then transplant into any story or situation. This is where WB/DC have failed and to a certain extent where and why EoN have failed as of late. Bond has more than enough material to adapt but they're just wasting the resources readily available to them.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Kevin Feige is one man that oversees and produces the development of multiple movies of seperate franchises simultaneously where 2 to 3 films are released every year and that's amongst comic book films released by other studios. Comparatively EoN are OGs in this business and the films they do end up releasing are largely mediocre at best. Post GE there's been an incredible and worrisome amount of mismanagement and dereliction of duty on EoN's part. Extenuating circumstances not withstanding there's a reason and it's no surprise we've only had 4 Bond films in what will undoubtedly be 12 years at least.

EoN don't need to concern themselves with connective universes and abstract long term planning. They need to focus on good representation of the Bond characters and treat the films on a case by case basis where the focus is on top quality and an excellently well executed film. If the films are lacklustre and uneventful disappointments then people aren't really going to give a shit. It'll end up being just another Bond movie that instead of conjuring the excitement and mania it deserves it ends up inviting stupid articles about how Bond should either be a woman, not played by a white guy or shelved completely.

With the time EoN do have for the Bond films, they really need to start making it count and think just ahead enough to know the general gist of whatever the era they're in needs to be like, stick with it and ensure the installment they're working on is a real fire cracker.
    I think the comparisons with Feige are perfectly fair.

Both he and EON manage big, long-term franchises that seek to build on a literary source, and to draw in popcorn/blockbuster fans as well as to service the picky super-fans. Both have to contend with balancing the formula and the elements that people expect with keeping things fresh after dozens of films. Both are trying to make essentially action/adventure movies (tipped to SciFi for Marvel and to espionage for EON) that are both timeless and contemporary.

In these and other ways, I think you definitely compare EON and Feige.

And at least on that front, he compares pretty favorably. He's juggling far more balls than EON, and although Marvel's had their missteps, he's pretty consistently managed to churn out good product and get bums in seats.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    octofinger wrote: »

Both he and EON manage big, long-term franchises that seek to build on a literary source, and to draw in popcorn/blockbuster fans as well as to service the picky super-fans. Both have to contend with balancing the formula and the elements that people expect with keeping things fresh after dozens of films. Both are trying to make essentially action/adventure movies (tipped to SciFi for Marvel and to espionage for EON) that are both timeless and contemporary.

And at least on that front, he compares pretty favorably. He's juggling far more balls than EON, and although Marvel's had their missteps, he's pretty consistently managed to churn out good product and get bums in seats.

Agree. Well said.

And yes, EON does need short and long term plans. Not concrete long term plans that are intractable, but plans that allow for a things like: a quality, completed script and film to follow up CR; a plan that doesn't allow an auteur to make statements on middle age, projecting Bond into the future after just rebooting him; rolling out Spectre in an interesting and suspenseful way and not retconing it in lame fashion.
    Excellent last three posts. I agree with every word.
  • RC7RC7

It's similar to SW, but not Bond. The actual number of staff at EON is minimal next to Marvel and likewise over at Disney. EON is an independent production company, essentially still a family run business, where Marvel is a fully functioning studio in its own right. They may be comparable in the sense that they are attempting to produce large-scale popcorn fare, but make no mistake EON are, by comparison, a tiny outfit working in a completely different fashion.

Feige has done a sterling job, no doubt, but his remit is very different. Like Kathleen Kennedy, it's about expanding a universe, pulling on characters and talent from untapped areas, packaging it and selling it to the broadest possible audience through a multitude of ancillary channels. Bond is old fashioned in the sense it is about getting a crew together every few years and making a movie. That movie lives or dies and they move on, re calibrate if necessary and go again. I know many think this new model is the only way to do 'franchise', these days, but I don't. The EON model is fine, they just need to show a little more savvy in the way they treat and engage fans - something they've never really been that great at.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,692
    It is interesting that the Bond franchise is the only current franchise that has been releasing new outings at a frequent rate in recent years without a release date (be it an exact date, or just a targeted of year of release) for its next film.
    DoctorNo wrote: »

Agree. Well said.

And yes, EON does need short and long term plans. Not concrete long term plans that are intractable, but plans that allow for a things like: a quality, completed script and film to follow up CR; a plan that doesn't allow an auteur to make statements on middle age, projecting Bond into the future after just rebooting him; rolling out Spectre in an interesting and suspenseful way and not retconing it in lame fashion.

Yep.

Eon is a family firm still. May be they need to accept that it's time to professionalise and bring in a professional management team. With The Brocollis and Wilsons as slightly more hands off owners. Hand over long term planning and producing to someone else.

Agree. Well said.

Yep.

Eon is a family firm still. May be they need to accept that it's time to professionalise and bring in a professional management team. With The Brocollis and Wilsons as slightly more hands off owners. Hand over long term planning and producing to someone else.
    Syncopy could do it.
    bondjames wrote: »

Agree. Well said.

Yep.

Syncopy could do it.

This is where Annapurna would be great as a production partner as opposed to just a distribution one.

I doubt Nolan would want to produce the franchise long-term. Unless of course he directs all of them :D
    antovolk wrote: »

Agree. Well said.

Yep.

Syncopy could do it.

This is where Annapurna would be great as a production partner as opposed to just a distribution one.

I doubt Nolan would want to produce the franchise long-term. Unless of course he directs all of them :D
    Agreed. This could very well be why there is reportedly only a 'one picture' deal in the works. A test. If it goes well, then there could be more.
    antovolk wrote: »

Agree. Well said.

Yep.

Syncopy could do it.

Agreed. This could very well be why there is reportedly only a 'one picture' deal in the works. A test. If it goes well, then there could be more.

That's exactly as I thought. These deals last a decade or more sometimes, and the relationship with Sony could be a bit brittle at times, from what we are privy to. I'm guessing they want to test the waters before jumping into bed again. It's a good move, if you ask me.