No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    The process didn't begin with P&W. My understanding is that work has been ongoing for some time. Whether that was the springboard for P&W, or whether they've started afresh I don't know.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19
    jake24 wrote: »
    Supposedly they have had a 1st draft since December so they might be on third or second draft.

What's the source of a first draft being done in December?
    That Reddit user, if I had to guess.

We have a friend in the German fan club who told us he has a contact that told him they have a first draft since December... as you can see, nothing remotely official, just a possibility.

Yes but didn't they also get exclusively told that the Huey helicopter was destined to feature in B25? I know that the museum stood by their words (even after it was deemed false) but it's not the best of sources imho.

Hopefuly, the museum guy is not his sole source, hehehe. They are serious people, but I undestand you, sometimes the sources are not reliable.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    vzok wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    //In any case, I highly doubt Broccoli will relinquish any creative control over 25 to whoever ends up getting B25 distribution, even if it is a co-financing deal. //

If somebody supplies half of the financing, they're going to want a voice in how it's spent. They'd be foolish if they didn't.

Remember, United Artists was relatively hands off with Broccoli and Saltzman. But, when push came to shove, UA wanted Connery for Diamonds Are Forever and UA got Connery.
    Very true. Recent comments from Harris and the Omega CEO suggest to me that some folks know this is being thrashed out and Craig's involvement, while more likely, is not a given yet. Either it's not entirely his decision although he may have decided to come back, or he is just waiting for a final blessing from the distributor and to see if everything looks like it will work out before confirming his involvement. There are some politics and some strategic leaks to the press as well.

Big business at its best.

@bondjames, yes, a lot of money is on the table and hands have to be played. I for one look forward to reading down the line some of what went on behind the scenes leading up to production, to see what decisions were made when and who knew what.

I'm sure we'll hear about some of it in due course @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as we normally do. It's probably a difficult decision for Craig, because he's busier now than he's been in some time, and with excellent & critically rewarding projects in the pipeline. Sometimes, one has to strike while the iron is hot, particularly as decent & lucrative options for actors dry up as they age. Bond is a huge time and physical commitment (including junkets and the like which he dislikes doing) and I can imagine it's a decision he's wrestling with.

I don't really think he cares all that much at this point about Bond, but he'll do it if the script is reasonable and if he thinks there's a reason to come back. I think he'll make the call on 'feel' with this one.

I have a feeling EON has a backup in case it doesn't work out.

@bondjames, I think Dan really loves the job, but he's also very mindful of what his limitations are, and when the right time to leave is. He won't pull a Roger, basically. He's always gone into the process looking for something interesting to say with the character, and if he finds that this time with the team they have-who he may've already collaborated on ideas with alongside Barbara-I think it's surefire he's return.

It's clear that he loves the work and the people who make the Bond films, and he always wants to give it his all for them, or it's nothing. He has said the same thing in the past few months, confirming that he'd do it as long as he gets a kick out of it, is able to physically do it and it's enjoyable for him. If Bond 25 is indeed his last, he's jumped on the chance because he's proud of the past work he's done and wants to conclude it on a high that sees him going out at the right time, where the character he made this Bond to be has been comprehensively examined and tested. He can then put it to rest knowing he put all of himself into it at every moment, wearing every hat on the productions like no other Bond before, and can say goodbye without regret and with pride in what he helped to create for over a decade.

It has the chance to be the most triumphant end to a Bond era we've seen. I don't think he'll see the drawn out trial of Moore's era, the missed potential of Dalton, or the sudden exit of Brosnan. Dan's ending will be conclusive and on his terms, as it has always been with his Bond.

...and we've already seen it?

Not sure what you're trying to argue...

Not arguing anything, just wondering if he feels he has already concluded his era.

@vzok, ah, okay. I would argue that Dan doesn't think he's done. His comments from The New Yorker interview were interesting, especially when he responded to if SP was the end for Bond, after which he called it "to be continued." Plus, I think he loves the job and still has something to give, one last time, and in a really meaty story. Not speaking for him, but that's what I think.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The process didn't begin with P&W. My understanding is that work has been ongoing for some time. Whether that was the springboard for P&W, or whether they've started afresh I don't know.

@RC7, by this do you mean to refer to the story treatments that P&W (and possible others) worked on even before they were officially "hired" around March, do brainstorm ideas? Or are you thinking they had ideas even before that?
  • RC7RC7
    Before that, Brady.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Before that, Brady.

@RC7, I definitely think they've been thinking and fleshing out a story for much longer than many think, we just won't know how much they've done and when they got going until the history books write about it after the movie is out.

It's also hard to quantify a value for creative work. Brainstorming casually about ideas is working on the film, just like soliciting competing scripts or rough treatments from people is as well. It's so flexible a definition, people think no serious work has gone into Bond 25 until mid to late 2016, when I feel EON and co. have naturally discussed things far before that. With how much Barbara and Dan had the chance to talk around Othello alone, it's hard to view discussions of that type as anything more than inevitable. EON certainly haven't been sitting on their asses and twiddling their thumbs, which some act like they have simply because they haven't gotten all the juicy bits of production information they're so impatient for.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2017 Posts: 10,512
    I'm aware of a writer who turned the gig down last year. Yes, turned it down. So when people harp on about getting in talent the sheer scale of these things is not always a draw.
    Seems like my theory is right that have been working on a story way sooner than march.

I still think 2018 is still possible
    I'm aware of a writer who turned the gig down last year. Yes, turned it down. So when people harp on about getting in talent the sheer scale of these things is not always a draw.

Interesting, and good point. New blood is often great, but you have to have new blood interested and willing to jump on such a gigantic ship. EON are also a family business like they've always been, and P&W are people they have a certain comradeship with. It also helps that they know the Craig era backwards and forwards, which should point us even more in the direction of a return of Dan in the next one.

I don't think P&W would've been sought for any other film than one focusing on the Craig era. Because they felt ready to move on from the character during SF time, I think it's far likely they'll do one final Bond story (with others possibly coming in to touch up) and then call it good. But I certainly don't think they would be doing a script for a completely new Bond film with a new actor and tone. I think if EON were doing that we wouldn't see the same faces on the creative team as the Craig era, as they would want to make sure the next films felt different in identity to what had come. It seems far more likely to me that we're seeing the team of the final Craig film being formed.
    Well how depressing is the headline of this thread now!
    That article still runs with the rumor of Craig receiving $150 million for two more films.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Interesting, yes. I imagine a lot of big name writers want some degree of control that's forfeit in the Bond process. Still, there are a lot of writers out there. RC7, any insight into whether this original or adaptive work?
    I just saw the title and I have to ask.....will there be another writer's strike? Is it a money issue? How will this affect Hollywood? Or am I misunderstanding the title?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I just saw the title and I have to ask.....will there be another writer's strike? Is it a money issue? How will this affect Hollywood? Or am I misunderstanding the title?

Yes, another writer's strike will be taking place very, very soon. We've no idea how it'll affect 'Bond 25' (I'm saying it's quite likely, given that it's at least over a year and a half away at this point, minimum) since we don't know how far along all of the script work is.

It'll affect Hollywood in many ways, much like it did almost a decade ago when it last happened.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes, another writer's strike will be taking place very, very soon. We've no idea how it'll affect 'Bond 25' (I'm saying it's quite likely, given that it's at least over a year and a half away at this point, minimum) since we don't know how far along all of the script work is.

It'll affect Hollywood in many ways, much like it did almost a decade ago when it last happened.

The thing that frightens me more than anything is that the last strike was responsible for the rise of "reality" TV, since it didn't require screen writers. I'm afraid we're in for more of that.

The thing that frightens me more than anything is that the last strike was responsible for the rise of "reality" TV, since it didn't require screen writers. I'm afraid we're in for more of that.

I don't think that ever went away, unfortunately. It still seems fairly rampant.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I don't think that ever went away, unfortunately. It still seems fairly rampant.

Exactly. I think the strike means it will only get worse.
    They should hire Forster once again and start shooting in two weeks. See what they come up with.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Exactly. I think the strike means it will only get worse.

I don't think it will be that bad this time around because they have barely started pre-production on bond 25

:/ Thanks for the answer.

What's the reason behind the strike?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Raise writers' salary?
    Raise writers' salary?

This. Pretty much the reason for any strike.
    Dave Bautista is saying his potential return in Bond 25 is mostly dependent on Daniel craig reprising for a fifth film.

Life became a reality TV show long ago. More on our TVs is just salt on an already numbed over wound.
    Dave Bautista is saying his potential return in Bond 25 is mostly dependent on Daniel craig reprising for a fifth film.

Something which could be said for any of the returning cast.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Raise writers' salary?

This. Pretty much the reason for any strike.

Also, with all the stream TV series, television seasons get shorter and shorter (some of these streaming series only have 8-10 episodes for a season). Writers are bound by exclusive contracts (so they can't supplement their shrinking incomes).

Put more simply, changes in television are creating tension between the guild and the studios.

Life became a reality TV show long ago. More on our TVs is just salt on an already numbed over wound.

Something which could be said for any of the returning cast.

I find it interesting because his character was "killed off" in SPECTRE (which didn't happen to be the case with the MI6 crew or Blofeld).

Looks like they may be trying to do a nod to Jaws.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well to be fair they never flat out said Hinx was killed. I'd love to have him return and be an even more dangerous threat to Bond and Swann.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 92
    Hinx would be a good character to bring back if there is a writers strike because no one would have to think up many lines for him
    ;-)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,127
    Delete.