No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote: »
    Post of the morning.

@Murdock, I'll try better at lunch.
    What are Chicken Littles?
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Drama Queens. An acorn falls on Chicken Little's head and to her the sky is falling.
    RC7 wrote: »

Drama Queens. An acorn falls on Chicken Little's head and to her the sky is falling.

Really? Never heard it before, an American expression?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Really? Never heard it before, an American expression?

I thought the tale of Chicken Little was universal, or at least pop culture savvy enough to have some carry over. But I'd already used the term "drama queen" to describe the usual suspects, so I didn't want to be accused of unoriginality years down the line. I had to branch out in my quasi-insults.
  • RC7RC7
    The UK version is called Henny Penny, I think. It's a moral tale about hysterical reactions to minor incidents.
    The UK version is called Henny Penny, I think. It's a moral tale about hysterical reactions to minor incidents.

Interesting. I think it would be an ideal bedtime story for more than a few here.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I don't care if its another couple of years, as long as its a really good film.

I remember seeing the Goldeneye trailer and being well chuffed that Bond was back, but it didn't feel as though it had been six years.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    This was probably said as more of a passing comment with basically no chance in happening but... Bautista thinks he might possibly return in B25. I'm alright with that since the train fight was the most thrilling aspect to SPECTRE. Thoughts?

metro.co.uk/2017/04/25/guardians-of-the-galaxys-dave-bautista-wants-a-return-to-007-but-its-all-dependent-on-daniel-craig-6595346/

He said: ‘We’re waiting for the news to see if Daniel will sign up for Bond 25, because then there’s a chance that Hinx will come back.’
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    17 MONTHS have passed since the release of Spectre. The fact that Bond 25 does not have a locked screenplay is outrageous. If I had the money Bill Gates has, I would hire the greatest talents in the business, make a rogue Bond movie, leak it online, then deal with the lawsuits, just to show the Broccoli clan how it's done.

You wouldnt do that because your stock would likely plummet and with that sort of money I'm sure you'd be sensible enough to not compromise your brand just to prove a relatively trivial point.

However, one of the problems EoN can't seem to get away from is their obstinate disposition to mostly keep the same "talent". As producers I don't think they do a good enough job to do the necessary due diligence to get new, interesting and genuinely talented creatives to usher the franchise forward. At this stage in EoN's decades of experience their approach should be a lot better than it is currently. I'm sorry but all this, "we need to see what the world's political landscape is like in order to tell a story" or something to that effect that gets spouted all the time is a load of rubbish. Either use your imagination or reconsider your profession.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    17 MONTHS have passed since the release of Spectre. The fact that Bond 25 does not have a locked screenplay is outrageous. If I had the money Bill Gates has, I would hire the greatest talents in the business, make a rogue Bond movie, leak it online, then deal with the lawsuits, just to show the Broccoli clan how it's done.

You wouldnt do that because your stock would likely plummet and with that sort of money I'm sure you'd be sensible enough to not compromise your brand just to prove a relatively trivial point.

However, one of the problems EoN can't seem to get away from is their obstinate disposition to mostly keep the same "talent". As producers I don't think they do a good enough job to do the necessary due diligence to get new, interesting and genuinely talented creatives to usher the franchise forward. At this stage in EoN's decades of experience their approach should be a lot better than it is currently. I'm sorry but all this, "we need to see what the world's political landscape is like in order to tell a story" or something to that effect that gets spouted all the time is a load of rubbish. Either use your imagination or reconsider your profession.

You don't mince your words :)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Supposedly they have had a 1st draft since December so they might be on third or second draft.

What's the source of a first draft being done in December?
    James Bond Club Germany.

This was probably said as more of a passing comment with basically no chance in happening but... Bautista thinks he might possibly return in B25. I'm alright with that since the train fight was the most thrilling aspect to SPECTRE. Thoughts?

metro.co.uk/2017/04/25/guardians-of-the-galaxys-dave-bautista-wants-a-return-to-007-but-its-all-dependent-on-daniel-craig-6595346/

He said: ‘We’re waiting for the news to see if Daniel will sign up for Bond 25, because then there’s a chance that Hinx will come back.’

I wouldn't be against it. Hinx proved himself to Blofeld, giving him a reason to return for revenge against Bond (now with a possible characteristic scar from the train bout), and he was written out to possibly return by the team. I'd like to see a face off with he and Bond in a seriously thrilling setting where 007 kills him with full confidence and strength, as their last fight saw him nearly die.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Supposedly they have had a 1st draft since December so they might be on third or second draft.

That Reddit user, if I had to guess.
    I see that's become a trademark of me.

The thing I struggle to get... why can't Craig confirm if he's coming back or not? As mentioned above, it's 17 months since SPECTRE so Craig has had ample time to decide. I suppose we'll know by autumn - assuming Bond 25 is out winter 2018 but who knows if that will happen!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The thing I struggle to get... why can't Craig confirm if he's coming back or not? As mentioned above, it's 17 months since SPECTRE so Craig has had ample time to decide. I suppose we'll know by autumn - assuming Bond 25 is out winter 2018 but who knows if that will happen!

Yes, no one has the answer. He said he needed six months off - that was back in November 2015. If he was planning on coming back in 2018, you'd think they'd have made an announcement of some sort by now.

The distributor business is also puzzling. Another case where they said they expected a decision over a year ago, and so far still nothing. At least it appears they have whittled it down somewhat to five choices.

Jaws Mark II then.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He can't confirm because it's probably not entirely his choice. As I mentioned a while back, from what I've read, I can glean that there are other parties involved in the decision process, most likely on account of the distribution deal. MGM is probably waiting to see what the deal is, so to speak.

Jaws Mark II then.

He is better than Jaws,who was made a mockery of,alas.

Hi everybody. First let me swiftly introduce myself. I'm an avid lover of tales of espionage and intrigue, who has started following Bond forums about 1 1/2 years ago as a kind of new years resolve, since I wanted to know what other Bond fans think about the development of the franchise . Because of the great variety of themes covered in the threads I began focusing on this forum quiet quickly after. I have refrained from posting here until now, mainly because just about every one of my opinions is likely to get me on the receiving end of a double barreled shotgun held by some of your more opinionated members.
    But I guess making a suggestion to literally erase the most lamented decision of the last Bond movie won't bring me into hot water so ...
    I assume it is safe to say that just about everybody hates/dislikes the Oberhauser/Blofeld angle. And even those that are too young and too casual fans to recognize the rape of Flemings work consider the new Blofeld incarnation completely laughable.
    And face it - it's in the world. There's no way they just can't ignore it from now on. There always will be people making fun out of it no matter how much they try to erase the memory of this terrible, terrible mistake.
    So why not just make Oberhauser a busybody? Someone who worked rather high-level for Spectre, but just pretended to be the big boss himself.
    With a little fantasy all of this could be achieved in just a few minutes of the PTS.
    Just imagine the gunbarrel, followed by a group of people breaking in Blofeld's jail ( causing of course some bloodshed on the way), entering his cell and placing - in complete silence - a video screen in front of the very terrified looking "Blofeld" (if they wanted to save them money for Waltz they could also keep his face in the shadow and just let his body language and widened-in-terror eyes do the talking).
    Then a voice out of the screen:
    "Hello, Franz. You know, I should be grateful to you for making my name a complete joke all over the intelligence community, just because you were so keen to impress your Mr. Bond, you neurotic little frat. But actually I'm not. I'm afraid not at all. Somehow I feel really sorry. I always found your relentlessly information seeking mind of great use, but you certainly have overplayed your hand, costing Spectre in effect all the knowledge to be gained out of the nine eyes project. For that alone you deserve the utmost punishment so at least try to face your fate with some dignity, even though I doubt it."
    We now see the men in the cell doing something disgusting to Oberhauser. (I'd imagine something along the lines of an octopus pressed on his face who somehow suffocates him, but could almost live with any kind of killing.)
    Then the camera focuses on the screen and we see a man up to his throat, stroking a cat he holds in his hands.
    After he seems to have delectated him sufficiently on the site of the dying Oberhauser we hear his voice again:
    "So and now we have to teach MI6 and Mr. Bond that the name of Ernst Stavros Blofeld is to be taken seriously."

I feel this should handily salvage a good part of what has been broken in Spectre and wipe of that embarrassing/gut wrenching Oberhauser/Blofeld idea (that makes me cringe even when I don't even think about it ) of the shield of my favorite franchise.
    A nice day to all of you.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I assume it is safe to say that just about everybody hates/dislikes the Oberhauser/Blofeld angle.
    That would be incorrect. Then your comments became more incorrect and offensive.
    Hi everybody. First let me swiftly introduce myself. I'm an avid lover of tales of espionage and intrigue, who has started following Bond forums about 1 1/2 years ago as a kind of new years resolve, since I wanted to know what other Bond fans think about the development of the franchise . Because of the great variety of themes covered in the threads I began focusing on this forum quiet quickly after. I have refrained from posting here until now, mainly because just about every one of my opinions is likely to get me on the receiving end of a double barreled shotgun held by some of your more opinionated members.
    But I guess making a suggestion to literally erase the most lamented decision of the last Bond movie won't bring me into hot water so ...
    I assume it is safe to say that just about everybody hates/dislikes the Oberhauser/Blofeld angle. And even those that are too young and too casual fans to recognize the rape of Flemings work consider the new Blofeld incarnation completely laughable.
    And face it - it's in the world. There's no way they just can't ignore it from now on. There always will be people making fun out of it no matter how much they try to erase the memory of this terrible, terrible mistake.
    So why not just make Oberhauser a busybody? Someone who worked rather high-level for Spectre, but just pretended to be the big boss himself.
    With a little fantasy all of this could be achieved in just a few minutes of the PTS.
    Just imagine the gunbarrel, followed by a group of people breaking in Blofeld's jail ( causing of course some bloodshed on the way), entering his cell and placing - in complete silence - a video screen in front of the very terrified looking "Blofeld" (if they wanted to save them money for Waltz they could also keep his face in the shadow and just let his body language and widened-in-terror eyes do the talking).
    "Hello, Franz. You know, I should be grateful to you for making my name a complete joke all over the intelligence community, just because you were so keen to impress your Mr. Bond, you neurotic little frat. But actually I'm not. I'm afraid not at all. Somehow I feel really sorry. I always found your relentlessly information seeking mind of great use, but you certainly have overplayed your hand, costing Spectre in effect all the knowledge to be gained out of the nine eyes project. For that alone you deserve the utmost punishment so at least try to face your fate with some dignity, even though I doubt it."
    We now see the men in the cell doing something disgusting to Oberhauser. (I'd imagine something along the lines of an octopus pressed on his face who somehow suffocates him, but could almost live with any kind of killing.)
    Then the camera focuses on the screen and we see a man up to his throat, stroking a cat he holds in his hands.
    After he seems to have delectated him sufficiently on the site of the dying Oberhauser we hear his voice again:
    "So and now we have to teach MI6 and Mr. Bond that the name of Ernst Stavros Blofeld is to be taken seriously."

I feel this should handily salvage a good part of what has been broken in Spectre and wipe of that embarrassing/gut wrenching Oberhauser/Blofeld idea (that makes me cringe even when I don't even think about it ) of the shield of my favorite franchise.

Most excellent.
    vzok wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    //In any case, I highly doubt Broccoli will relinquish any creative control over 25 to whoever ends up getting B25 distribution, even if it is a co-financing deal. //

If somebody supplies half of the financing, they're going to want a voice in how it's spent. They'd be foolish if they didn't.

Remember, United Artists was relatively hands off with Broccoli and Saltzman. But, when push came to shove, UA wanted Connery for Diamonds Are Forever and UA got Connery.
    Very true. Recent comments from Harris and the Omega CEO suggest to me that some folks know this is being thrashed out and Craig's involvement, while more likely, is not a given yet. Either it's not entirely his decision although he may have decided to come back, or he is just waiting for a final blessing from the distributor and to see if everything looks like it will work out before confirming his involvement. There are some politics and some strategic leaks to the press as well.

Big business at its best.

@bondjames, yes, a lot of money is on the table and hands have to be played. I for one look forward to reading down the line some of what went on behind the scenes leading up to production, to see what decisions were made when and who knew what.

I'm sure we'll hear about some of it in due course @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as we normally do. It's probably a difficult decision for Craig, because he's busier now than he's been in some time, and with excellent & critically rewarding projects in the pipeline. Sometimes, one has to strike while the iron is hot, particularly as decent & lucrative options for actors dry up as they age. Bond is a huge time and physical commitment (including junkets and the like which he dislikes doing) and I can imagine it's a decision he's wrestling with.

I don't really think he cares all that much at this point about Bond, but he'll do it if the script is reasonable and if he thinks there's a reason to come back. I think he'll make the call on 'feel' with this one.

I have a feeling EON has a backup in case it doesn't work out.

@bondjames, I think Dan really loves the job, but he's also very mindful of what his limitations are, and when the right time to leave is. He won't pull a Roger, basically. He's always gone into the process looking for something interesting to say with the character, and if he finds that this time with the team they have-who he may've already collaborated on ideas with alongside Barbara-I think it's surefire he's return.

It's clear that he loves the work and the people who make the Bond films, and he always wants to give it his all for them, or it's nothing. He has said the same thing in the past few months, confirming that he'd do it as long as he gets a kick out of it, is able to physically do it and it's enjoyable for him. If Bond 25 is indeed his last, he's jumped on the chance because he's proud of the past work he's done and wants to conclude it on a high that sees him going out at the right time, where the character he made this Bond to be has been comprehensively examined and tested. He can then put it to rest knowing he put all of himself into it at every moment, wearing every hat on the productions like no other Bond before, and can say goodbye without regret and with pride in what he helped to create for over a decade.

It has the chance to be the most triumphant end to a Bond era we've seen. I don't think he'll see the drawn out trial of Moore's era, the missed potential of Dalton, or the sudden exit of Brosnan. Dan's ending will be conclusive and on his terms, as it has always been with his Bond.

...and we've already seen it?

Not sure what you're trying to argue...

Not arguing anything, just wondering if he feels he has already concluded his era.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,400
    The bidding news is very interested indeed.

Clearly, EON have the wheels in motion and they have something worth buying. I’m really not that enthused by the news of the big multinationals grabbing the property. They’re all pretty interchangeable (though it looks like Sony have the edge based on their past relationship and the sheer effort they’re investing).

But the interesting outsider here is Annapurna.

icon.jpg

In fact, they’re the most exciting choice there. They were set up by spoiled rich kid Megan Ellison, who has impeccable taste in film. When she set up the organisation, it almost felt like she wanted to loose money, as she solely invested in interesting filmmakers who were struggling to get financing elsewhere.

Since then the group has grown and is renowned for its edgy and diverse material. The Annapurna seal on a film means that you’re about to see something that is distinct, cool and interesting. They’re not just some anonymous studio looking for a cash-grab.

They have reached out to the world of distribution this summer with Kathryn Bigelow’s next movie but they are massively untested. Worryingly so. I doubt they have the infrastructure to support the release of a Bond film on the scale we have grown used to.

Nonetheless, they’re the most exciting choice there. Also it’s important to remember that Megan Ellison once tried to reboot the Terminator films before deciding to hand them over to Skydance Entertainment (ran by her brother), so she has flirted with franchises before.

Their output speaks for itself:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapurna_Pictures
    Coud we dream of Kathryn Bigelow, Bennett Miller or Paul Thomas Anderson directing a Bond film?

(also can we stop of this talk of a 2018 release – it isn’t happening)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Interesting. I think it would be an ideal bedtime story for more than a few here.
    Hans Christian Andersen has a propriate bedtime story, about the feather that became five hens through repeatedly exaggerated hearsay.

Most excellent.

Thank you, Sir.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The bidding news is very interested indeed.

Clearly, EON have the wheels in motion and they have something worth buying. I’m really not that enthused by the news of the big multinationals grabbing the property. They’re all pretty interchangeable (though it looks like Sony have the edge based on their past relationship and the sheer effort they’re investing).

But the interesting outsider here is Annapurna.

icon.jpg

In fact, they’re the most exciting choice there. They were set up by spoiled rich kid Megan Ellison, who has impeccable taste in film. When she set up the organisation, it almost felt like she wanted to loose money, as she solely invested in interesting filmmakers who were struggling to get financing elsewhere.

Since then the group has grown and is renowned for its edgy and diverse material. The Annapurna seal on a film means that you’re about to see something that is distinct, cool and interesting. They’re not just some anonymous studio looking for a cash-grab.

They have reached out to the world of distribution this summer with Kathryn Bigelow’s next movie but they are massively untested. Worryingly so. I doubt they have the infrastructure to support the release of a Bond film on the scale we have grown used to.

Nonetheless, they’re the most exciting choice there. Also it’s important to remember that Megan Ellison once tried to reboot the Terminator films before deciding to hand them over to Skydance Entertainment (ran by her brother), so she has flirted with franchises before.

Their output speaks for itself:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapurna_Pictures
    Coud we dream of Kathryn Bigelow, Bennett Miller or Paul Thomas Anderson directing a Bond film?

(also can we stop of this talk of a 2018 release – it isn’t happening)

Quality post, Pierce. I am all for this. They've produced many great films.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19

We have a friend in the German fan club who told us he has a contact that told him they have a first draft since December... as you can see, nothing remotely official, just a possibility.

[img][/img]

We have a friend in the German fan club who told us he has a contact that told him they have a first draft since December... as you can see, nothing remotely official, just a possibility.
    Likely true.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Yes but didn't they also get exclusively told that the Huey helicopter was destined to feature in B25? I know that the museum stood by their words (even after it was deemed false) but it's not the best of sources imho.