No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    When is the next MGM conference call?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Why not go back to the days of hiring directors in house? At least that way, the director would know the inner workings of a Bond film.

Great idea. Who do you think would be better? P or W?

Alexander Witt - he's been the 2nd Unit Director on the Bond films CR, SF, and SP - as well as 2nd Unit Director on numerous films like: X-Men First Class, Fast Five, The Town, American Gangster, The Italian Job, Black Hawk Down and etc.... so he at least knows how to stage and shoot action... he may not be the flashy or sexy pick - but if one is making a list of possible in house candidates who could one day helm a Bond film, then i gotta believe his name to be on that list.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm game for Witt as well, he directed the best Resident Evil movie as well. He has more than enough experience to helm a Bond film.
    We make fools out of ourselves every time we give Mendes the attention he craves so desperately. But the Choice is yours. You either stop answering to him or stop complaining.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aidan aka Mendes needs to stop waiting for that phone.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm game for Witt as well, he directed the best Resident Evil movie as well. He has more than enough experience to helm a Bond film.

I'd be happy to promote from in house. Witt also has a decent resume. Trouble is, he's on directorial duties till at least 2018.

• peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    (Not really) wild guesses about Bond 25:

--If Craig comes back, expect to hear more about the agony of playing James Bond. You know, along the lines of “I’ve been trying to get out of this from the very moment I got into it, but they won’t let me go."

--If a new actor is cast, Eon will say they're "going back to Fleming."

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/wild-guesses-about-007s-film-future/

I read this article and it sounds like the writer is deaf to sarcasm when it comes to Craig. Jesus, I'm more the fool for responding.

Absolutely. Obviously Craig was being sarcastic when he said it was his idea to title Bond 22 as Quantum of Solace because who'd ever really believe they'd let an actor name the movie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3096758/Daniel-Craig-Bond-film-name-Quantum-of-Solace-was-my-idea.html

And obviously he was sarcastic when he said the Fleming titles didn't mean anything when anybody who actually read them would know the titles are explained.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3096758/Daniel-Craig-Bond-film-name-Quantum-of-Solace-was-my-idea.html

And obviously he was sarcastic when he said he and Marc Forster really wrote Quantum because anybody who actually kept up with stories done during the time of production knew that Joshua Zetumer was hired to do rewrites during filming.

Just sarcasm.

@alexander, it's obvious you have a talent for sarc as well, but please don't take headlines so literally. DC said he "was involved in making the decision" of choosing QoS as a title. And he explained the process. Nothing sarcastic about this comment, not a fib either. Just a usual production spit-balling session.

Re: Zetumer coming on during the filming of QoS while a writer's strike was going on: Zetmurer, being a guild writer, most likely did his polish on QoS BEFORE the writer's strike started, which means BEFORE QOS started shooting (or he and the production would have been heavily fined, and Zetumer would have been black-balled from writing features for a very long time, if not forever, since he broke union rules).

On a film, as several production people can tell you on this site, a script is being massaged throughout the entirety of filming (and hell, even bits of dialogue can be sharpened or changed in post with ADR work).

Without a writer on set, it's not difficult to imagine that when the script needed tinkering, the lead actor and director would put together what they thought would work better for that set/scene, whatever.

And from what I remember, DC said he learned from the experience that he's no writer.

BY THE WAY, Alexander, do you actually like DC? I could be wrong, but I'm sensing not, since you trolled me about this on another site, which I'll also respond to shortly.

Best,

P
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 6,601
    =D>
  • jake24 wrote: »

The third quarter ended on Friday. Probably either late in October or early in November.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

The third quarter ended on Friday. Probably either late in October or early in November.
    Thanks.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    jake24 wrote: »

Why do they have to always push it at the end of the year, I'll never know.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,115
    //Re: Zetumer coming on during the filming of QoS while a writer's strike was going on: Zetmurer, being a guild writer, most likely did his polish on QoS BEFORE the writer's strike started.//

Forster, 2008

“Then we started shooting and the only problems I had with the script we were shooting in April, May and June so as soon as the strike was over we did another polish with someone and it worked out with all this stuff coming up. So I was pretty happy with all the work we’d done in January and February so [there won’t be any need for reshoots].” (emphasis added)

Nevertheless, Forster did hire another writer, newcomer Joshua Zetumer, to polish Haggis’ draft. “He’s a very young writer and he only wrote two or three scripts. And I read a script of his that I was very fond of and Barbara and Michael liked it,” the director explained. “There were a couple of polishes and changes that I wanted to do and I felt that he was very well suited and I thought that he would be good for it and that’s why I hired him.”

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/a-james-bond-set-visit-and-seven-exclusive-quantum-of-solace-images/

So let's say Forster and Craig were doing their thing early during the shoot. The whole "Forster and Craig really wrote Quantum" narrative makes it sound as if it were that way the whole movie. Clearly that wasn't so but the whole "there was no script" is exaggerated.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 2,115
    //BY THE WAY, Alexander, do you actually like DC? I could be wrong, but I'm sensing not//

On screen, I'm fine with him. Some of the accompanying comments during publicity become repetitive after a while. Also, sometimes he says things (like his 2011 comment how the Fleming titles don't mean anything) that don't hold up to scrutiny.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @alexander, DC is not a politician. He does hundreds and hundreds of press junkets. Some actors are exceptionally polished when it comes to this, Tom Cruise for example (but even he's had his "jumping the couch" moments); others, not so much, like Craig, or DeNiro ( who I find mumbling and incoherent).

Personally I find that DC makes an effort to be genuine and honest. It's refreshing, rather than see a puppet, with a fake smile, spewing the same script the PR people order them to spew.

In the end, out of the hundreds (thousands?) of interviews since DC's been in the limelight, are we to go after the three or four mis-quotes/mis-readings and keep raking him over the coals?

Or should we accept the man as a fine actor, tries his best during the press junkets (and remember, this is the same press that were giving voice to all the imbeciles who wanted DC fired once he was cast); he may say things you may not agree with, but I bet if anyone here did as many interviews as DC (and others do), we would read some of our words being twisted, or not put in proper context.

The press is there to sell papers, so if the actor who plays Bond says he'd like to slash his wrists than do another, then lets not be responsible as the author of that article; let's not say something like, "obviously coming off of a marathon, nine-month shoot, the actor was clearly joking when he told me he'd rather slash his wrists"...; no, lets not have journalistic integrity and put DC's words in context. Instead, I can turn his words into headlines, I'll get hits on the internet, I'm breaking a story: Bond Actor Would Rather Slash Wrists Than Do Another!

Like I said, don't believe all the headlines.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is too much perpetual grudge going on.
    There is too much perpetual grudge going on.
    Sums up every king-sized company, these days.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I find @Mendes4Lyfe 's passion for a certain actor commendable.

Some of you (or should I say one) is at least as passionate if not obsessed with Craig and any criticism seems forbidden.

Anyway, I rather have 10 @Mendes4Lyfe anytime of the day who are positive about something than one of those always negative, criticising, nitpicking grump.

And just for the record, since re-watching an episode of Being Human and the pilot to Poldark earlier today, Aidan Turner is now my No 1 too for the next Bond. Sorry Dan Stevens...

Mirroring Sean Connery here. Perfect.
    full.jpg

@alexander, DC is not a politician. He does hundreds and hundreds of press junkets. Some actors are exceptionally polished when it comes to this, Tom Cruise for example (but even he's had his "jumping the couch" moments); others, not so much, like Craig, or DeNiro ( who I find mumbling and incoherent).

Personally I find that DC makes an effort to be genuine and honest. It's refreshing, rather than see a puppet, with a fake smile, spewing the same script the PR people order them to spew.

In the end, out of the hundreds (thousands?) of interviews since DC's been in the limelight, are we to go after the three or four mis-quotes/mis-readings and keep raking him over the coals?

Or should we accept the man as a fine actor, tries his best during the press junkets (and remember, this is the same press that were giving voice to all the imbeciles who wanted DC fired once he was cast); he may say things you may not agree with, but I bet if anyone here did as many interviews as DC (and others do), we would read some of our words being twisted, or not put in proper context.

The press is there to sell papers, so if the actor who plays Bond says he'd like to slash his wrists than do another, then lets not be responsible as the author of that article; let's not say something like, "obviously coming off of a marathon, nine-month shoot, the actor was clearly joking when he told me he'd rather slash his wrists"...; no, lets not have journalistic integrity and put DC's words in context. Instead, I can turn his words into headlines, I'll get hits on the internet, I'm breaking a story: Bond Actor Would Rather Slash Wrists Than Do Another!

Like I said, don't believe all the headlines.

Well said.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    //BY THE WAY, Alexander, do you actually like DC? I could be wrong, but I'm sensing not//

On screen, I'm fine with him. Some of the accompanying comments during publicity become repetitive after a while. Also, sometimes he says things (like his 2011 comment how the Fleming titles don't mean anything) that don't hold up to scrutiny.

Just to clarify, Dan said the titles for the Bond films can often make no sense in context of the movie, which he is right about in some cases. He wasn't referring to the literature of Fleming.
    I find @Mendes4Lyfe 's passion for a certain actor commendable.

Some of you (or should I say one) is at least as passionate if not obsessed with Craig and any criticism seems forbidden.

Anyway, I rather have 10 @Mendes4Lyfe anytime of the day who are positive about something than one of those always negative, criticising, nitpicking grump.

And just for the record, since re-watching an episode of Being Human and the pilot to Poldark earlier today, Aidan Turner is now my No 1 too for the next Bond. Sorry Dan Stevens...

Mirroring Sean Connery here. Perfect.
    full.jpg

In that photo he reminds me of the Bond as seen on the very early pulpish Fleming novel covers. Dick Orne's Bond in particular more so than Connery.
    I do think, though, even at 33 he still looks a bit young for 007. That said, it could give Dan time for at least one possibly two more outings-then Turner would probably look the right age.
    Even if we've seen the final Daniel Craig Bond film, having warmed recently to the idea of Fassbender, or Tom Hardy, I'd put Turner alongside those two. There are certainly far worse names. I'd say pretty much 95% of the actors mentioned as possible replacements for Craig are as Bondian as Screech from Saved By The Bell.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brosnan was a perfect Bond,

Very bold statement. Just start with 'painface' and work from there and this statement is quickly exposed as the fallacy it clearly is.
    Quality writing should be the starting point

Indeed.
    Hence why the Bond character as played by Daniel Craig was way more complex, multilayered and emotionally realistic, as opposed to the people who wrote Brosnan's version of 007.

For two of Brosnan's films it was the same writers and at least half of Dan's tenure has been very badly written so its difficult to pinpoint exactly who is responsible for what and where.

Is Brosnan to blame for his pastiche take on the character? Or is it the writers and directors? Campbell was the guy who introduced us to Brozza's greatest hits package take on Bond but also the guy who gave us the most Flemingesque Bond film since OHMSS.

Was it EON saying to Broz 'After the dourness of Dalton we just want bums on seats so play it safe and go for a Sean/Rog composite'?

Even if it's easy to criticise Brozza (the straightening the tie underwater was his idea and everyone loved it because it showed how much he 'got' the character) he was very badly served with scripts and directors. Its debatable if even Rog at his peak could have made DAD watchable.

Craig has reaped the benefit of the mistakes of the Brozza era by being given more serious scripts and a definite uplift in talent behind the camera (writing aside).

I've got a lot of time Broz because he was what the series needed at the time and he delivered. He often said he would have liked to have been given a crack at a proper serious Bond story with dramatic heft a la OHMSS/CR but like Craig it was EON that let him down with appalling script and director choices.

He did his best and it gave it a good shot but his era still feels like pastiche and while this cant be levelled 100% at his door he does have to take his share of the blame.

I can't stand any of the Brosnan films but have always maintained that he could have done a decent Bond film. I've enjoyed him in other roles, but rarely as Bond - with the exception perhaps of a few early scenes in TND.

The problem IMO is that he never developed a take on the character that played to his strengths and his directors seem not to have much cared what he did. He has shown that when he has very good direction - Boorman, Polanski - that he can be a perfectly decent screen actor.

Brosnan directed by Tarantino as Bond would have been interesting.

Brosnan's Bond needed a darker, slightly twisted side. Brosnan is at his best playing people whose moral compass is not entirely set on the right course. His Bond should have been meaner, and less predictable. He played it too much like a bland action hero.

Great post.
  • That is a good photo of Turner, and you nailed it perfectly, @ToTheRight—very reminiscent of the early pulpish paperback covers. Doesn't make me want to have Turner's children or anything, and I still haven't seen him act in anything, but of all the photos I've seen, that one (and that's the only one) actually looks promising.

Still rooting for the following in this order: 1) for Craig to go out on a high note; 2) for somebody completely off everyone's radar who turns out to just completely own the character like Craig did; 3) for Michael Fassbender.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Brozza in DAD looked totally out of shape - worse than Conners in DAF.

He should have been emaciated after all that time in a North Korean prison but looked like he'd been on a diet of ale and pies.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Brilliant.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    full.jpg

He's a ringer for Giggsy after he has just heard his missus's key in the door while he's upstairs smashing some page 3 tart.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Turner will be looking like that when someone else gets chosen to be Bond over him. ;))
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Is 40 the mandatory Bond age now? In that picture Turner would be perfect. Then again I've never seen him act nor have ever heard him utter a word
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm a strong supporter of Turner as the next Bond; if it's Bond 25 then he would be 34, possibly 35 when filming begins. If Craig does another we're looking at him being 37/38.
    Rather than just wandering aimlessly from film to film, I would like to see a team brought in that maps a 5 film arc, that could include stand alone stories, for the next 007. Turner is the perfect age for this.
  • That's actually the expression he gave when he learned Mendes had discovered his home address. (You'll notice his hand went right for his gun.)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Lazenby was a model and took a good pic too. So what? Pictures can't act.

They can... in GIF format.