Realistic & Serious Story Ideas for Bond 25 (...to be used by EON Productions Ltd.??)

Comments

• edited June 2016 Posts: 12,837
    I wasn't a big fan of the book but I liked the smuggling plot in LALD, with the pirate treasure being used to finance soviet spying in America. That could work if modernised, and given higher stakes. How about an MI6 agent is killed in a country that used to be Nazi territory (Europe seems a bit overdone, I'm not really familiar with the whole nazi gold history to be honest but they'd set up shop in some African nations right? Could set the action there), and Bond investigates and eventually uncovers the existence of a North Korean spyring smuggling Nazi gold into North Korea to fund the fast tracking of a new improved nuclear weapons program. It's the sort of stripped back but not too low stakes plot that the series could do with imo.
    How about a Bond film that doesn't depend on lasers, computers, chip implants, count down timers, and all the rest of today's wildly overused in films technology? Perhaps Bond is on holiday, not because he's played out, put on mandatory leave, etc, but just because he's on holiday. Quite by accident he stumbles into something that his special skill set allows him to survive.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    CrabKey wrote: »
    How about a Bond film that doesn't depend on lasers, computers, chip implants, count down timers, and all the rest of today's wildly overused in films technology? Perhaps Bond is on holiday, not because he's played out, put on mandatory leave, etc, but just because he's on holiday. Quite by accident he stumbles into something that his special skill set allows him to survive.

Definitely this. Bond is past those elements IMO. I'd like to see Bond actually being a spy, suspense, perhaps disguising as someone, and having to pretend to get in and out of situations he needs to. I had an idea where Bond has to fake a relationship to get to know someone.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I had an idea where Bond has to fake a relationship to get to know someone.
    ...Basically what he did in Thunderball with Domino to get to Largo... Sort of...
  • I wasn't a big fan of the book but I liked the smuggling plot in LALD, with the pirate treasure being used to finance soviet spying in America. That could work if modernised, and given higher stakes. How about an MI6 agent is killed in a country that used to be Nazi territory (Europe seems a bit overdone, I'm not really familiar with the whole nazi gold history to be honest but they'd set up shop in some African nations right? Could set the action there), and Bond investigates and eventually uncovers the existence of a North Korean spyring smuggling Nazi gold into North Korea to fund the fast tracking of a new improved nuclear weapons program. It's the sort of stripped back but not too low stakes plot that the series could do with imo.

I generally just like the idea of Africa, that should be a thing.
    I got goaded into sharing mine in the Bond 25 Speculation/Diary thread, it's in the last couple pages. Though it wasn't really meant to be Bond 25. I'll share it here when I get the time to do some writin'
    We really need to put Bond through the blender in the next one..... I am talking snappng necks and bastards with twists to shut down the internet. Blofeld dies then busts out of his coffin and shoots everyone at the funeral, then a skyhook helicopter picks up the coffin and takes him away to his big secret base..... the film is called I DON'T EVEN CARE
  • IGUANNA wrote: »
    We really need to put Bond through the blender in the next one..... I am talking snappng necks and bastards with twists to shut down the internet. Blofeld dies then busts out of his coffin and shoots everyone at the funeral, then a skyhook helicopter picks up the coffin and takes him away to his big secret base..... the film is called I DON'T EVEN CARE

I'd pay to see that.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,400
    So as I mentioned before, the rough idea behind this was posted in the Bond 25 speculation thread. Not really the best place for it, I had only put it there since @Birdleson goaded me into it ;)

DEATH HAS A NAME
    (or: simply "JAMES BOND")

James Bond, now in his early 40s and with dozens of assignments behind him, is still the best agent Her Majesty has. Sent by M on a joint assignment with Säpo to capture the kingpin of a human trafficking ring in Stockholm, Bond, along with two other MI6 agents and two Swedish agents, make their move only to realize they've walked right into a trap... too late. One by one, the other four agents are assassinated while Bond is knocked unconscious by an assailant. Upon waking, Bond finds himself next to one of the dead agents... with the murder weapon planted right in his hand.

Left with no choice and wanted by the authorities, Bond runs. Amidst the international incident that follows, M is put under bureaucratic pressure to find Bond and eliminate him. M assigns MI6's most efficient recruit - almost a younger Bond - to the 00 section, even though he only has one of the two kills needed. His assigned number? 007. Doubtful that his most trusted agent has suddenly become a traitor, 007 is assigned to investigate Bond first, and apprehend him second.

Meanwhile, publicly branded a traitor and stripped of his honors and 00 status, Bond modifies his appearance and flees Europe, tracking the villain's trail to Boston. Driven by both the need to clear his name, and a thirst for revenge, Bond integrates himself into the dregs of an empire that profits off the worst society has to offer. In the process, he is sent across the globe from Boston to Dublin to Sarajevo to Tokyo and encounters sinister villains of their own, in the process confronting his own morality and humanity.

Death has a name, and its' name is...

James Bond
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Coincidentally, that was another discussion thread about a week back. ie. whether we'd ever see such an obvious title for a film in the future.
    The reason I've considered James Bond as a title is simply because he is the "target" in this movie, not to mention how much of the plot revolves around his efforts to clear his name so intensely that he begins to cloud it in other ways.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't want that as a title before, but now that we're getting 'Jason Bourne' with the tag line 'You Know His Name,' now I really don't want it. However, if it was going to be used, it'd work best as the title for a new actor's first installment.
    So as I mentioned before, the rough idea behind this was posted in the Bond 25 speculation thread. Not really the best place for it, I had only put it there since @Birdleson goaded me into it ;)

DEATH HAS A NAME

James Bond, now in his early 40s and with dozens of assignments behind him, is still the best agent Her Majesty has. Sent by M on a joint assignment with Säpo to capture the kingpin of a human trafficking ring in Stockholm, Bond, along with two other MI6 agents and two Swedish agents, make their move only to realize they've walked right into a trap... too late. One by one, the other four agents are assassinated while Bond is knocked unconscious by an assailant. Upon waking, Bond finds himself next to one of the dead agents... with the murder weapon planted right in his hand.

Left with no choice and wanted by the authorities, Bond runs. Amidst the international incident that follows, M is put under bureaucratic pressure to find Bond and eliminate him. M assigns MI6's most efficient recruit - almost a younger Bond - to the 00 section, even though he only has one of the two kills needed. His assigned number? 007. Doubtful that his most trusted agent has suddenly become a traitor, 007 is assigned to investigate Bond first, and apprehend him second.

Meanwhile, publicly branded a traitor and stripped of his honors and 00 status, Bond modifies his appearance and flees Europe, tracking the villain's trail to Boston. Driven by both the need to clear his name, and a thirst for revenge, Bond integrates himself into the dregs of an empire that profits off the worst society has to offer. In the process, he is sent across the globe from Boston to Dublin to Sarajevo to Tokyo and encounters sinister villains of their own, in the process confronting his own morality and humanity.

James Bond

I like it. I feel it would be a fun plot to introduce the new Bond with. It also gives M agency; something Spectre desperately tried and failed to do.

However, it is rather similar to the plot of the first Mission Impossible film....

A few suggestions...

1.) The new 007 should be female and serve as the co-lead. It would be a neat twist and add a mischievous and sexual element to Bond's relationship with the character. Clearly there will be a sense of one-upmanship between the pair. Get Emily Blunt for the role:

[img]http://kudo_detective_office.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_860/kudo_detective_office/Edge-of-Tomorrow_Emily20Blunt04.jpg?c=a2[/img]

2.) It seems a lot of your film takes place in Stockholm and Boston. Am I the only one who finds these locations dull?

3.) Naming the film 'James Bond' is lazy. If you want to incorporate the character's name then maybe something like 'The Hunt for James Bond' or 'The Death of James Bond'. However, even those titles suck.

Tell me more about the villain, I also like the human trafficking angle.

DEATH HAS A NAME

James Bond

I like it. I feel it would be a fun plot to introduce the new Bond with. It also gives M agency; something Spectre desperately tried and failed to do.

However, it is rather similar to the plot of the first Mission Impossible film....

A few suggestions...

1.) The new 007 should be female and serve as the co-lead. It would be a neat twist and add a mischievous and sexual element to Bond's relationship with the character. Clearly there will be a sense of one-upmanship between the pair. Get Emily Blunt for the role:

[img]http://kudo_detective_office.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_860/kudo_detective_office/Edge-of-Tomorrow_Emily20Blunt04.jpg?c=a2[/img]

2.) It seems a lot of your film takes place in Stockholm and Boston. Am I the only one who finds these locations dull?

3.) Naming the film 'James Bond' is lazy. If you want to incorporate the character's name then maybe something like 'The Hunt for James Bond' or 'The Death of James Bond'. However, even those titles suck.

Tell me more about the villain, I also like the human trafficking angle.

1) I just don't really want that dynamic between the characters. I want it to be more Bond being pursued by his younger self.

2) Boston will actually be a very small part of the film. Stockholm is only the PTS. They're deliberately dull for the most part as well.

3) I like the Death Has a Name title. I'm not really a fan of calling it James Bond, but there is a rationale for it.

I'm thinking an Irish villain (hence Boston and Dublin) who heads a substantial, global, and multifaceted crime empire. Human trafficking is what he is wanted for, but ultimately this empire has stakes in pretty much any heinous enterprise you could think of. Bond gets mixed up in bare knuckle boxing - heavily rigged, of course - and maybe even dog fighting in Boston; drug smuggling to Bosnia and of course IRA members in Dublin; and the core of the human trafficking ring in Sarajevo, with links to prominent businessmen and officials in Tokyo. He is supposedly hiding out in Stocholm at the film's start, but Bond crosses paths with him throughout his journey.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I didn't want that as a title before, but now that we're getting 'Jason Bourne' with the tag line 'You Know His Name,' now I really don't want it. However, if it was going to be used, it'd work best as the title for a new actor's first installment.

Agree on Jason Bourne, and yeah I think James Bond would be just as bad.

A title I do like though, that was being considered for NSNA before EON stopped them (too similar to OHMSS apparently), is James Bond Of The Secret Service. It sounds kind of retro and pulpy and I think it'd be a cool title for a new actors first film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I'm still lobbying for Garden of Death. And it would make sense considering every other Bond film seems to be named after a geographical location.
    An observation looking at the plot threads left loose after SPECTRE we have gone about solving them in three ways

1. Reboot/retcon just ignore Spectre and create s new story which I find lazy
    2. Have swann killed/kidnapped which while lazy could be done exceptionally well depending on the director/script writers it could really show bond ass a tortured soul or could be used as a cheap plot gag
    3. Have a throw away line that swann meant nothing to him: yeah this one I find appallingly bad we all saw Diamonds are forever do we need to see it again.

But could their be a fourth option we are all over looking something along the lines of colonel sun/for your eyes only where bond is happily retired but gets pulled back in and leaves swann because he realizes he has to because of some pressing issue only he can solve.....

A Whisper of Hate (you could use colonel sun if you wanted too)
    PTS
    M while out at blades club in England is kidnapped (he puts up a good fight but due to age he is eventually kidnaped)
    Titles
    Moneypenny and Q (after seeing none of the assignments for the current 00 branch are meeting with any results) go to James Bond's home in the Bahamas they discuss the good old days and ask him to come back. Bond points out they don't need him (perhaps a meta joke here about giving the next agent his name too though that would be a bloody stupid idea) they point out the 00 branch post denbiegh has been given a new lease on life but are highly buratic in their approach and the comittee has turned down the idea to investigate where Q thinks M is. After a discussion with swann (who reveals she know he isn't truly happy retired) goes off to search for M and comes across M's old army buddy Colonel Erik Von Hammerstien who Q believes kidnapped M to find a large summit of gold in the alps (taking shades of the Octopussy short story here)

Locations London, Jamaica, Ireland, the alps, Ireland again for the climax.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 124
    You should post a full, detailed version of your treatment, @StirredNotShaken.
    coco1997 wrote: »
    You should post a full, detailed version of your treatment, @StirredNotShaken.

I'll try and start it off at least.

Well right off the bat: Gunbarrel at the start. Binder design. Brosnan-style cgi barrel that glimmers and comes to its full shape when Bond fires. The music is a typical Barry-esque Bond theme with just a slight touch of eeriness to it. No gimmicks. No "The dead are alive" text. No fade after the shot. Blood comes down, Bond disappears as the circle turns white and swivels around the screen before opening on the Universal Exports building a la OHMSS. M is briefing 009 (a relatively young male, let's say 35) and 006 (an attractive female agent, imagine Kristin Scott Thomas back in the 90s). The two agents have a good rapport, though M remains stern as he mentions Stockholm.

We cut to Moneypenny's office as the door opens. A hat is tossed through the open doorway, and we follow it as it lands impeccably on the coat rack. Moneypenny gives a knowing smile, and in walks our new James Bond. Dark hair, tall and lean, and a mature agent aged 41, 42, somewhere around there. He and Moneypenny have a classic Connery-esque scene together before Bond is ushered in via intercom by M. Naturally he gets a chiding for being late, but the briefing continues as they are given their dossiers.

Their target is Irish human trafficking kingpin Rian O'Malley (placeholder name, unless people like it), who has been spotted in Stockholm and is believed to have up to a dozen kidnapped women from Bosnia with him, whom he is preparing to sell and smuggle. Intelligence has placed O'Malley's safehouse at a derelict hotel in Stockholm's Gamla stan (old town) and surveillance has shown at least a half dozen guards on patrol. Their mission is to infiltrate, neutralize any resistance, capture O'Malley, and secure any hostages, if applicable. They will be paired with an additional two agents from Säpo and leave immediately.

On the plane to Sweden, Bond and 006 have a mildly flirtatious rapport in a brief scene. They arrive, meeting the two Swedish agents at the airport. We get a brief dinner scene at the MI6/Säpo safehouse, with a further explanation of the exact plan. 009 and Bond will move on the safehouse, while 006 keeps watch from a nearby alleyway. One of the Säpo agents will be driving the getaway vehicle, a black van, while the other will be providing sniper cover.

The mission sets off around midnight. The van and the sniper are both in position. The sniper can see through the window of the hotel room "three, no four women at least, tied up". Bond and 009 move in, taking down guards with perfect stealth. These takedowns are not gentle, either; Roger Moore's Bond this is certainly not, as Bond gets both a neck snap and a point blank headshot to his kill count.

Eventually, they get to the hotel room, and breach... only to find a horrific scene. There are six captive women in the room, and all have been executed, tied to chairs in a way that the Säpo sniper couldn't tell. As this is happening, two shadowy figures move across the roof to the sniper. Bond and 009 inspect the room, and Bond finds a note on the table. "MY PROPERTY. NOT YOURS. BREAK YOUR OWN TOYS, MR. BOND." Bond immediately calls for a mission abort, and as he does, a bullet smashes through the window and into 009's throat. Bond dives to cover and watches helplessly as his colleague, bleeding to death on the ground, is shot three more times, dead.

Bond rushes out of the room, bullets whizzing past him, as he dives off the balcony and into a roll. 006 comes out of the alleyway and Bond yells for her to get back to cover. The second of the assailants on the roof prepares an RPG, and as Bond rushes for the black van, the RPG fires, obliterating the van and knocking Bond off his feet, sending him roughly into concrete...

As Bond's vision fades, he sees a blurry outline of 006 rushing to his aid when, suddenly, a large figure comes out of the dark and stabs her. Bond loses consciousness... and wakes up next to 006's corpse. He crawls, in pain, over to her, but she has died... and the bloody knife is in his hand. Bond drops the blade and forces himself to his feet. Sirens blare as a police car pulls right up next to Bond... or at least where Bond was standing.

Through the dark alleyways of Gamla stan, James Bond runs off into the night, disappearing through a cloud of steam coming from the heating grates...

And so ends our pre-title sequence. When we come out of it, we end up not back to Bond, but to the gym at MI6, where several agents are training. We focus on one agent in particular - no older than his late 20s, 30 at the most - who could almost pass as a younger Bond. We quickly see him exercising, practicing his marksmanship, showering off, and just as he is changing into his clothes he is greeted by Bill Tanner, who refers to him as "Agent 0-7 (also a placeholder name; the agent has one of the two kills required to be a 00, and I want to find a way to express that better. Open to suggestions)". He then says that he's needed at once.

We cut to M, who is being sternly scolded by Minister of Defense Frederick Gray, who has not appeared in a Bond film since The Living Daylights. From dialogue it is only the morning after the failed assignment. Bond has already been disavowed and stripped of his 00 status and honours, and in the eyes of Her Majesty's Secret Service, is a traitor. M is ordered to track and bring down Bond immediately, "by any and all means necessary." M's attempts to vouch for Bond are shot down.

M arrives back at his office, appearing tired and morose; Moneypenny appears similarly sullen, and the two do not exchange so much as a word. M sees Bond's hat, mistakenly left behind yesterday, and yanks it off the coat rack, tossing it to the floor. As he sits down in his office, a knock on the door reveals Tanner. "Agent 0-7 to see you, sir." Agent 0-7 walks through the door and barely is it closed before M roughly orders "Sit."

M runs through the situation. "Four agents dead, two of them our own. Our best agent turned traitor. You're to find him, and stop him." Agent 0-7 asks, "And his name?"

"James Bond."

M proceeds to walk through a brief history of 0-7's career, from his days in the Royal Navy to his first kill on MI6's behalf of a small time arms dealer in Newcastle. "You show great promise and you are the best agent I have for this job. Effective immediately, I am granting you a promotion to the 00 section. Your new codename will be agent... 007."

That's all for now. This is a lot to type. I'll continue in a day or two.
  • GBFGBF
    I think the story of Bond25 should be about a nasty EU bureaucrat who is trying to prevent the UK from leaving the EU. It is then up to James Bond to save the Brexit by destroying the bureaucrats headquarter in Brussels. Of course the EU bureaucrat is also a SPECTRE member and it turns out that he is another foster brother of Bond.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 124
    Great start, @StirredNotShaken! Looking forward to the rest!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2016 Posts: 4,442
    Madeline drive a way with Bond in Spectre and she wil not return like happend with moost Bond girls and as Dench M in Skyfall. We get Camile, Felix and ''Lucia'' back. There bulding a story around terrible truth that Eon hide but hinted so long. There making them selfs more dificult with Vesper video and Hildebrand set up in Spectre. Bond should return to Holiday in Marocco. No cheap option of Madeline take it and give it to Q, M, Tanner Moneypenny or Bond himself offscreen in Spectre.

As hinted in Spectre too: Time is up. Writings on the wall.

It is a ''Risico'' but that be case since there deside to start with this.

Short pre-title scene that we see mystery men in middle of night at some place with a woman and the light go and we see where and with we are. It is Q enter the Maroco holiday and we spotting a mess with a sleaping 007, the broken dog statue from M and snow playing on tv and some red paint on the wall: Wasted. Empty videocase. Q try to test videorecorder, but discover there is no video in it. Then Q go outside and return with woman Maroc police agent and M. M: Time to clean this mess and him..

Maintitle.. Hildebrand Rarity

We wil not see Bond and them for a whyle. CIA wil take over. Later on Camile will be part of it.

The Property of lady:

Lucia an

Edit: Sorry, forum error.. who post my message insteed of saving.
    50 minutes of other writing was not saved.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,400
    @StirredNotShaken I like it a lot. I really think it would be a great idea for the next Bond film. You also have a great and engaging writing style.

Here are some notes though on my behalf:

1.) What you have described is a terrific start to the opening act of the film, however, it isn't a PTS. A PTS can introduce plot but it shouldn't really instigate the main enegine of the story, especially when a new Bond has to be introduced.

In your opening we see a suave Bond enter M's office and we see him be bad-ass, but not soon he's getting corned by the enemy. It seems slightly unfair on the new actor to take on the role. The new Bond should really be given a celebratory opening scene.

Clearly your Bond film will be something of an "urban thriller" (the plot breakdown you posted earlier felt more Bourne -esque and "gritty" - which is no bad thing) - if this is the case why not use the PTS to introduce a tad of levity. Have Bond at a high-society function and give him a a little action. Then you can cut to the MTS before beginning with the shot of Universal Exports as you described.

You want an audience celebrating the introduction of a new Bond and salivating at the prospect of what the film has in store.

2.) I don't like the idea of a young Agent 0-7 being male. Once again you're totally undermining the new actor in the Bond role. As soon as he's introduced as the new Bond, you devote half your story to a younger guy, essentially playing the same archetype.

It seems counter-intuitive.

I understand your principle; that this is supposed to be an older Bond haunted and hunted by a younger version of himself. But it would work better if this idea was used for Craig's 5th film opposed to a new actor's first. This would be that actor's first chance to make an impression, we don't know him yet as a seasoned vet.

Trust me, make the character a woman. It works for a new actor if it's a woman. We know that inevitably Bond will team up with the new agent and it would provide a far greater rapport to have him team up with a female Mi6 agent after he goes rogue. They don't even need to have a romantic relationship - just chemistry. Switching the gender would have no real impact on the story.

You don't really have a Bond girl and this would be a golden opportunity to introduce one early - you can still make her competent and every ounce an agent as Bond is - think of Scarlett Johnasson in the Marvel movies.

Scarlett-Johansson-in-The-Avengers.jpg
    Have bond demoted and transferred to section G and having bond as a regular officer
    so as a regular officer standard issue is Walter p99 to no Q toys and have Audi sport has is car
    so after few missions that started out as routine then become much be bigger missions.
    M decides to repromote bond back to 00 section where he belongs.
    Follow up to last comment
    Have these films as pre casino Royal then viewer see why bond caught the eye of 00 section
    or have bond demoted and back a regular officer for few films
    so 00's carry the ppk as standard issue but now he's a regular office again the p99 is standard issue he loses the DB 11 gets a sporty Jaguar F-Type or Audi sport as is car and he as no access to Q branch and no Q toys to use . And does have do investigating and spying and leg work .
    And Emily blunt would make good 006
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    After Silva blows up MI6... After Blofeld blows up blown up MI6.... SPECTRE AGENT GOLDFINGER RETURNS TO FINISHES THE JOB AND BLOW IT UP AGAIN!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Please no more jobs about blowing things up, please stop .. no more blow jobs ! :D
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    "You must forgive Blowjob, golf is not yet the national sport of Korea, eh!"