Realistic & Serious Story Ideas for Bond 25 (...to be used by EON Productions Ltd.??)

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 28
    Not so much a stort idea, but I'd like to see ISIS and their ilk take a role similar to the Soviets in the old Bond films (but a lot less friendly and gentlemanly). Not the main antagonists but they're around and you get the sense that Bond spends a lot of time off screen dealing with them.

Shameless plug but... if you are interested in reading a treatment of a Bond film that sees Bond tangle with modern day terrorism, I have written a screenplay based in Kenya. Whilst Islamic terrorists are involved, they are not the main antagonists in the end (I don't want to give too much away). Here is a synopsis:

After clashing with Bond, a high level CIA operative withholds information about an imminent attack on a British target somewhere around the world. Using his wits to discover the target, Bond heads to Nairobi to pressure a beautiful British national-turned-terrorist. In Kenya, the sins of the past collide with the enemies of the present and nothing is quite as it seems.

And here is a link to the screenplay: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ZQrF4eO2HcMTYxaEtQUTVjLXc/view?usp=sharing

And here is the discussion page (would love feedback): http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/17437/the-death-collector-screenplay#latest

...end of shameless plug!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    For anyone wwho hasn't read my story yet....the last couple of Bond films should give plentiful inspiration to continue the wonderful Daniel Craig timeline ;-):
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment/p1

OWrC4vw.jpg
    LbqnIgb.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I've just got a small idea for B25.

Solo, which I've never read, I'm told consists of an ending in which Bond lies in bed with a woman. When he begins to hear the sound footsteps coming closer to the door, he takes his Walther, runs out of the door to investigate, and concludes that no one is there. That is where Bond realizes he cannot settle down, let alone continue to drag innocent women along with him and continue to put them in grave danger. So, he sneaks out and drives off into the night. How would we like for that girl to be Madeleine?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »

Solo, which I've never read, I'm told consists of an ending in which Bond lies in bed with a woman. When he begins to hear the sound footsteps coming closer to the door, he takes his Walther, runs out of the door to investigate, and concludes that no one is there. That is where Bond realizes he cannot settle down, let alone continue to drag innocent women along with him and continue to put them in grave danger. So, he sneaks out and drives off into the night. How would we like for that girl to be Madeleine?

My interest in the series overall would diminish considerably if Madeleine was the only Bond girl we ever had to look forward to again. That's the stuff of nightmares.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,586
    I definitely do not want Madeleine to be the main Bond girl again, should they decide to bring her back. I feel like this kind of scenario wouldn't have to be the ending of the film, but rather a post-titles sequence.
    I definitely do not want Madeleine to be the main Bond girl again, should they decide to bring her back. I feel like this kind of scenario wouldn't have to be the ending of the film, but rather a post-titles sequence.

Completely disregard my last reply to your statement; I'm still tired, so I 100% misread what you were getting at with that statement.

IF, and only if, they had to bring Madeleine along for 'Bond 25,' then that'd be a suitable route to get rid of her ASAP. Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with opting to not mention her whatsoever.
    One of my pet peeves when it comes to sequels is when the first film spends half of its runtime developing a character, who happens to be an important figure in the main protagonist's life, and then suddenly, only gets a brief, rushed mention is the film's sequel. More often than not, this can diminish my enjoyment in that film as well as my interest in that particular character. Rarely is there an instance where a film tries to tie off a character's arc in a sequel because of their decision to omit the actor from an appearance, and does so with class.

It'd be the equivalent of Natalya running off to marry a hockey player following the events of Goldeneye. There's a sense of tackiness and shoehorning which, frankly, I don't much care for.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »

My interest in the series overall would diminish considerably if Madeleine was the only Bond girl we ever had to look forward to again. That's the stuff of nightmares.

Projecting now, are you?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,372
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Projecting now, are you?

If you read my last comment, you'd notice that my reply was completely irrelevant, as I had misconstrued what he was saying entirely. I had just woken up and thought he was suggesting that we never get another Bond girl again, and that Madeleine simply sticks around for good.

What he was actually saying was a pretty sound idea.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So your girlfriend is behind your shoulder?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,921
    Given the importance of Madeleine (whether or not we bought it) in getting Bond to quit the service, she should have at least a cameo in Bond 25. How about a serious version of "James, I need you." "So does England."
  • echo wrote: »
    Given the importance of Madeleine (whether or not we bought it) in getting Bond to quit the service, she should have at least a cameo in Bond 25. How about a serious version of "James, I need you." "So does England."

How about looking at the novel "FRWL" and return her only in the first part, similar to how Tiffany Case returned after the events in the novel DAF? A nice, proper, Fleming-esque break-up. And then we got rid of her forever :-).
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I love this idea. This scene sounds brilliant. The paranoia of being a spy is something the series hasn’t really touched on. There is a brilliant air of distrust in FRWL, but aside from that the series mostly relies on thrills and chases.

I want to see a paranoid an older Bond – something perfect for Craig’s interpretation of the character.

The film upon which I’m most reminded of is Anton Corbijn’s The American. That movie is about a weary assassin who is hiding out in Europe and is constantly seeing threats and enemies where there are none. It would be a perfect template to build the next Bond film over. Also it is an interesting and organic character trait that hasn’t been explored in the half decade franchise. It wouldn’t feel forced at all.

However, at this point, it looks like we’re getting a new Bond…
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,599
    I love that film, it is just wonderful but there is a whole generation of newer Bond fans who want "flash bang wollop" every 5 mins, these are the fans who criticise SF as being too slow. If you look at some of the reviews on IMDB for The American, many people just cannot put up with dramatic development and when nothing blows up for 5 mins, they just write the movie off as being slow and dull. Its a bigger issue than just Bond, it affects the whole art form IMHO. Perhaps there is room for a fan fiction version of "Bond meets The American" but , sadly, I think thats about it. Perhaps Bond is on his own from the start, isolated and only as the film develops do we learn of Swann's fate?
    PS was watching Bullit last night and the climax is just wonderful IMHO, they really take time to build up the suspense but, its just one guy shooting another guy, they could never get away with that today.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »
    I love that film, it is just wonderful but there is a whole generation of newer Bond fans who want "flash bang wollop" every 5 mins, these are the fans who criticise SF as being too slow. If you look at some of the reviews on IMDB for The American, many people just cannot put up with dramatic development and when nothing blows up for 5 mins, they just write the movie off as being slow and dull. Its a bigger issue than just Bond, it affects the whole art form IMHO. Perhaps there is room for a fan fiction version of "Bond meets The American" but , sadly, I think thats about it. Perhaps Bond is on his own from the start, isolated and only as the film develops do we learn of Swann's fate?
    PS was watching Bullit last night and the climax is just wonderful IMHO, they really take time to build up the suspense but, its just one guy shooting another guy, they could never get away with that today.

I agree. I thought The American was surprisingly effective as a character piece, and people hated it, expecting an action movie.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I agree. I thought The American was surprisingly effective as a character piece, and people hated it, expecting an action movie.

The problem was, at least here in America, the movie was marketed as an action film. The trailers/TV spots showcased the roughly 30 seconds of action contained in the entire movie.

Yeah, they bungled the marketing for 'The American,' but I think the early reviews let on to the fact that it was an artsy, stylish spy thriller moreso than a shoot-'em-up, so I curbed expectations before catching it in theaters and loved it. Didn't think watching George Clooney drinking coffee and casually walking around an exotic locale could be so fun.
    Really memorable last few seconds in that one too.
    vzok wrote: »
    Really memorable last few seconds in that one too.

Definitely. The opening was memorable to me, as well. Great way to kick off the film.
  • NSGWNSGW London

Bullitt is so great, they should take more influence from those great 60s thrillers, they're so well made.
  • Thank you so much Jorrit and Twan (from jamesbond.nl) for the lovely interview ;-)! Here you can read it dear MI6community-friends. I know it's Dutch, but since when did Google Translate stop you from understanding bits and parts ;-)?

http://www.jamesbond.nl/interview-murder-on-wheels-een-james-bond-verhaal-spoiler-alert/

PS @NSGW: Hence I drew some inspiration from that movie in my Bond story ;-).
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2017 Posts: 299
    Thank you so much Jorrit and Twan (from jamesbond.nl) for the lovely interview ;-)! Here you can read it dear MI6community-friends. I know it's Dutch, but since when did Google Translate stop you from understanding bits and parts ;-)?

http://www.jamesbond.nl/interview-murder-on-wheels-een-james-bond-verhaal-spoiler-alert/

I would hope so given the title :) nice interview.
    NSGW wrote: »

Bullitt is so great, they should take more influence from those great 60s thrillers, they're so well made.

Wasn't the ending of Heat very similar to Bullitt?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Thank you so much Jorrit and Twan (from jamesbond.nl) for the lovely interview ;-)! Here you can read it dear MI6community-friends. I know it's Dutch, but since when did Google Translate stop you from understanding bits and parts ;-)?

Sorry to break it to you, but I don't think anyone is that interested to use google translate to see what you said.
    :D
  • Yeah, you are right @QuantumOrganization
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I recently re-watched Ronin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/?ref_=nv_sr_2
    And was amazed at how well the classic car chases held up. Something that Ronin was famous for upon its release. And then because of that I had to re-watch the classic car chase from Bullit http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt
    And so it got me thinking, what if Bond 25 could have a car chase that rivaled these two films. I know car chases have been done to death, but then so has pretty much every other stunt or action scene. It doesn't have to be in an unusual form of transport (tank, truck etc) nor in a mismatched vehicle (Ferrari 355 versus Aston Martin DB5)
    Just a really intense, lengthy car chase. No gimmick, no gags, no gadgets, just Bond showing off his driving skills, in a sequence that leaves the audience going wow!

@Benny, I'd love seeing that happen in the near future for Bond. Something that really stands out and keeps people impressed for years to come. I know some fans don't care for the PTS of QoS due to the editing, but if they could bring the speed and danger of that PTS to another, longer car chase, I'd be more than happy.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'd like a shorter PTS again. Mendes bloated SF and SP's.
  • Benny wrote: »
    I recently re-watched Ronin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/?ref_=nv_sr_2
    And was amazed at how well the classic car chases held up. Something that Ronin was famous for upon its release. And then because of that I had to re-watch the classic car chase from Bullit http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt
    And so it got me thinking, what if Bond 25 could have a car chase that rivaled these two films. I know car chases have been done to death, but then so has pretty much every other stunt or action scene. It doesn't have to be in an unusual form of transport (tank, truck etc) nor in a mismatched vehicle (Ferrari 355 versus Aston Martin DB5)
    Just a really intense, lengthy car chase. No gimmick, no gags, no gadgets, just Bond showing off his driving skills, in a sequence that leaves the audience going wow!

I've been saying this ALL THE TIME @Benny :-D!! Thanks for weighing in on this. On numerous occasions I mentioned these timeless classics. In fact it was my prime motivation to write "Murder On Wheels". As written on page 14 of my story treatment:
    Ky3UaU6.png
    https://www.docdroid.net/q503afj/story-treatment-james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-final-2docx.pdf.html