What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe Shane Black could put the fun back in Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Maybe Shane Black could put the fun back in Bond.
    With a Roger Moore lookalike set in the 70s.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If only it was possible for Shane Black to make an adult spy/comedy film set in the 1970's with Moore and Connery in their prime.
    Sounds like a great film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If only it was possible for Shane Black to make an adult spy/comedy film set in the 1970's with Moore and Connery in their prime.
    Spies who hate each other pairing up for a very dangerous mission. Connery would play a pro-Scotsman who hates the English, and Moore would play an Englishman who thinks he's superior over the others.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Gavin Hood? Based on the very tense Eye in the Sky, I think he'd be an interesting choice.
    TOM FORD. I have been saying since his first movie, A Single Man was released that he would make an excellent Bond director. His second movie, Nocturnal Animals premiered in Venice a week ago and it's getting very good reviews. It's obvious that his Bond film would be one of the most stylish (if not the single most stylish) Bond movie of all time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    My opinion has not changed, Alfonso Cuaron would make a bloody amazing Bond film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Any particular reason for wanting McTiernan? Past the fact that he's an American, I don't believe he has directed a movie in, what, a decade?

An American can direct a Bond film. Seriously it's not like Mendes had full grasp of what he was doing.

An Australian living in France directed one of the best Bond films ever in my opinion. So I really don't get that argument.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @mcdonnb, no argument was being made, I was just curious why John McTiernan, of all people, would be suggested.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Alfonso Cuaron is my first choice and please with Alexandre Desplat
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,619
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    it's not like Mendes had full grasp of what he was doing.
    wcGipMh.png
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @mcdonnb, no argument was being made, I was just curious why John McTiernan, of all people, would be suggested.

I guess I previously answered but don't worry i qnswer again.

I think he understands style very well thanks to his amazing job with The Thomas Crown affair and he well liked in the action genre thanks to Die Hard.
    Making a combined of Thomas Crown and Die Hard would make a wonderful Bond film

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

I guess I previously answered but don't worry i answer again.

I think he understands style very well thanks to his amazing job with The Thomas Crown affair and he well liked in the action genre thanks to Die Hard.
    Making a combined of Thomas Crown and Die Hard would make a wonderful Bond film

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    My opinion has not changed, Alfonso Cuaron would make a bloody amazing Bond film.

Fully agree...
  • If Nolan doesn't direct at least two Bond movies in his career, EON will have made a terrible mistake by missing a huge opportunity...
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,400
    TOM FORD. I have been saying since his first movie, A Single Man was released that he would make an excellent Bond director. His second movie, Nocturnal Animals premiered in Venice a week ago and it's getting very good reviews. It's obvious that his Bond film would be one of the most stylish (if not the single most stylish) Bond movie of all time.

Interesting.

It's nice to see some people have a little more originality than to suggest the typical names (enough with the Christopher Nolan suggestions! It's been discussed to death).

The Bond directors can be defined in such a manner:

1.) The Competent Manager:

This is the director who knows how the studio system works and is hired, less as a creative and artistic lead, but as a manager. In this capacity they are appointed as the studio know that they will deliver the project on time and on budget. The artistic merits aren't wholly important to this director. Think Roger Spottiswoode or John Glen.

The Bond series has a long history of going down this route. Arguably Young, Hamilton, Campbell and Lewis (not the law firm) all fit into this category.

I'd really rule out any old company man filling the seat on Bond 25.

2.) Edgy Choices:

These people seem exciting on paper. They are unusual or quirky helmers who encourage enthusiasm from cinephiles. For instance, Lee Tamahori fits under this heading; he was known for his visceral and tough film 'Once Were Warriors'. DAD was a turd but his appointment initially indicated that the producers wanted something tougher and more ferocious.

Same goes for Forster. He was a quirky arthouse director who suggested his Bond film would be more emotional and cerebral. QOS ended up bing a misstep.

These helmers never really get it. They always try and push the Bond formula into a new form and the public respond unenthusiastically.

The guy who perfectly fits this mould is Nicholas Winding Refn.

3.) The Prestige:

This is the individual you wouldn't expect to tackle one of these films. They have their own individual clout with respect in the field. Their handling of Bond often tries to be very personal and solipsistic.

Think Michael Apted and (especially) Sam Mendes.

This is where your Chris Nolan's, Danny Boyle's, David Fincher' exist. Also it encompasses to a lesser extent folk like Morten Tyldum.

Personally, I think EON will go in a new direction for Bond 25. Something we haven't seen before.....

4. The Young Buck:

New emerging talent. Someone without many credits to their name but with heaps of ambition and enthusiasm. Someone who has broken out in the indie world and is looking to enter the studio system. We've seen this thread emerge a lot over the years.

It started in many regards, when the director of Memento was hired to make a Batman film (Nolan! Woooo). Since then we have seen the Looper director hired to make Star Wars, etc. Additionally, the Marvel films have made a habit of doing this.

So who falls into this category?

Yann Demange
    Justin Kurzel
    Nikolaj Arcel
    Ben Wheatley
    I would love to see Timur Bekmambetov have a go.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would love to see Timur Bekmambetov have a go.

Whew, not me. He's made nothing that was anything more than so-so/mediocre. His remake of 'Ben-Hur' doesn't inspire confidence.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,686
    Whoever can direct action scenes like these...

... should be considered.
    He made that? I want to see it now. Loved his Lincoln biography.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,416
    Mel Gibson about Peter Weir when there making Gallipoli (1981)

I also think it is intresting he sound like Daniel Craig and Michael G Wilson, with a big difrence is that Gibson giving ansers.

New sugestion:
    Peter Chelsom (English) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0155093

• HellerHeller London
    As others have said, I'd go for Denis Villeneuve, not only because he's a brilliant director, but also because he's most likely to get Roger Deakins to agree to shooting another Bond.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 613
    Based simply on his excellent work helming THE BANK JOB, I would love to see Australian director Roger Donaldson get a shot at a Bond movie. He's a real pro with a long list of solid efforts (including NO WAY OUT and THE GETAWAY) who most recently directed Brosnan in THE NOVEMBER MAN. EON should be getting in touch with this guy if they haven't already.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Based simply on his excellent work helming THE BANK JOB, I would love to see Australian director Roger Donaldson get a shot at a Bond movie. He's a real pro with a long list of solid efforts (including NO WAY OUT and THE GETAWAY) who most recently directed Brosnan in THE NOVEMBER MAN. EON should be getting in touch with this guy if they haven't already.

I am with Escalus on this. Roger Donaldson would be a good choice. NO WAY OUT for me is still my favourite Kevin Costner movie, I also liked THE BANK JOB or NOVEMBER MAN. Another experienced journeyman would be Philipp Noyce. PATRIOT GAMES and CLEARAND PRESENT DANGER are very good, and I like THE QUIET AMERICAN, an excellent Graham Greene adaption. Or they bring back Martin Campbell.

• edited December 2016 Posts: 157
    Morten Tyldum (headhunters,imatation game) ,Ridley Scott,Adam Wingard(the guest),Mel Gibson or Tim Miller(Deadpool) to name a few directors
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gareth Evans, Alfonso Cuaron, Denis Villeneuve, Steve McQueen.
    Cuaron.

Its impossible not to smile thinking how Lubezki might shoot a Bond film.
  • After watching Nocturnal Animals, Tom Ford is right up there with Denis Villeneuve. I think Ford could do a bang up job, provided the film was scaled down a bit.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Paul Verhoeven
    Ted Kotcheff
    Michael Apted
    Simon West
    Jon Amiel
    Roger Donaldson
    Wolfgang Petersen