What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @QuantumOrganization, why do we need a "seasoned veteran"? I want a skilled filmmaker. Anyone who can make Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival is perfectly skilled to handle Bond material IMO. Villeneuve is 49 and has been working in film since 1994. Terence Young was 46 - 47 when he did DN and had been in business for about 23 years too with almost the same amount of projects on his résumé as Villeneuve now.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Christopher Nolan directing Bond would be glorious.

Matthew Vaughn is another choice that I've been preaching since X-Men First Class and even more so since Kingsman.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Villeneuve all the way.
    Fantastic director but I'm unsure how he'd fit for Bond.

He's certainly a choice that would be in line with their last couple, but there's a chance he could do a Forster and not a Mendes (for SF at least). Still, if his Blade Runner sequel turns out well, I'd probably be on board with him doing Bond.

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    @QuantumOrganization, why do we need a "seasoned veteran"? I want a skilled filmmaker. Anyone who can make Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival is perfectly skilled to handle Bond material IMO. Villeneuve is 49 and has been working in film since 1994. Terence Young was 46 - 47 when he did DN and had been in business for about 23 years too with almost the same amount of projects on his résumé as Villeneuve now.
    You're forgetting the time period. Terrence was a product of 50s-60s. We need people just like that. That's why we have to get people in their 70s, 80s or 90s.
    Villeneuve all the way.

Villenueve is one that EON should definitely be having conversations with regarding the next film. If they could land either him or David Fincher, I'd suddenly find myself pretty excited for the next film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Michael Apted should come back The world is not enough is the strongest of the Brosnan era in my opinion and he is making a come back with unlocked

As a side bar Michael Douglas as a villain or ally in a future bond film come on we all want that
    No to this. The only decent Director of the Brosnan era was Campbell.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Michael Apted should come back The world is not enough is the strongest of the Brosnan era in my opinion and he is making a come back with unlocked

As a side bar Michael Douglas as a villain or ally in a future bond film come on we all want that
    But... but... LEE TAMAHORI?!!
    =))
    Ha ha ha ha. Officially a criminal....the worst of the series.
    It's an absolute "no" for me for Apted, or for any other Brosnan-era director. It's time for the series to move forward, not look back to the glory days of Campbell or whoever else.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm with @dalton on this. We're fifteen years past DAD, the Brosnan era is over. I consider Campbell a bit old for the job now and the others... well... never a fan of them. We need a new batch of directors.
    You're forgetting the time period. Terrence was a product of 50s-60s. We need people just like that. That's why we have to get people in their 70s, 80s or 90s.

Right. That is just rubbish.

Says you I think TWINE is one of the best bond films
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think theirs about 0 chance that apted comes back because most people don't like twine the same way Marc Forster would never come back generally directors only come back if their movies knock or out if the park like goldeneye or as people think "skyfall"
    I'm with @dalton on this. We're fifteen years past DAD, the Brosnan era is over. I consider Campbell a bit old for the job now and the others... well... never a fan of them. We need a new batch of directors.

What should also be said about this is that the franchise has never been in the position it currently is in. People who are the best at what they do in the entertainment field want to be a part of the films now. Why go backwards when there is, potentially, an exciting future to be had due to the talent that could potentially be brought on board?

Before EON landed Forster and Mendes, it was just the case of fans making unrealistic wishlists of directors that would never come true. That was the only way names like Vilanueve, Fincher, or Nolan would ever come up in such discussions. Now, would anyone truly be surprised if any of the bigger name directors out there today were announced to to the next Bond film? Can't say that I would, and that's fairly exciting, I think.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

You surely can't expect people to take you seriously, when you make comments like this.

What's wrong with that I'm pretty sure Campbell is 70 something
    Benny wrote: »

You surely can't expect people to take you seriously, when you make comments like this.

Clint Eastwood is 86 and still directing big budget movies! Your argument is invalid.

Eastwood is not making any "big budget" films, at least if Bond is our measuring stick for what it means to be "big budget". His most expensive film as a director since 2000 was Space Cowboys at $60 million, with only his most recent, Sully, being the other to cross that $60 million threshold in terms of its budget. Everything else has been below that number since 2000.

Spectre, on the other hand, cost anywhere between $200 and $300 million to make, depending on which numbers you want to look at.

Eastwood is a fine filmmaker, but he's also somewhat of an anomaly. Taking on something as massive as Bond would, I imagine, require a decent amount of stamina, something not many people in their 80s or 90s are likely to have. Not to say that it's impossible, but just not likely.
    What's wrong with that I'm pretty sure Campbell is 70 something
    There's also people like Ridley Scott, who's pushing 80 and still making films with $100-150 million budgets. There's not many directors that are that age, though, let alone directors that age that can make a blockbuster. Still, while it's a short list there's still people on it.

That said, I think a Sir Ridley Bond flick would be interesting.

dalton wrote: »
    Eastwood is not making any "big budget" films, at least if Bond is our measuring stick for what it means to be "big budget". His most expensive film as a director since 2000 was Space Cowboys at $60 million, with only his most recent, Sully, being the other to cross that $60 million threshold in terms of its budget. Everything else has been below that number since 2000.

Spectre, on the other hand, cost anywhere between $200 and $300 million to make, depending on which numbers you want to look at.

Eastwood is a fine filmmaker, but he's also somewhat of an anomaly. Taking on something as massive as Bond would, I imagine, require a decent amount of stamina, something not many people in their 80s or 90s are likely to have. Not to say that it's impossible, but just not likely.
    I am in no way tipping the hat for Eastwood. How do you know the budgets for his films? Are you an insider?

edited February 2017 Posts: 2,730
    I think this p*****g contest on the age of a director is silly
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think this p*****g contest on the age of a director is silly

Mod Edit - Please watch your language @JamesBondKenya.
    Okay sorry
  • Martin Campbell
    Michael Apted
    Marc Forster
    Ridley Scott
    Alfonso Cuaron

Says you I think TWINE is one of the best bond films

After seeing this film and pondering over it for a few weeks, I can't help but think that it could have been so much more. TWINE is a bond film constucted of superb parts but lacking as a whole. Robert Caryle as the baddie had his many fans across UK and the rest of the world salivating at the prospect of that most talented of young British actors turning his hand towards Bond villany. But where was he in this film? Yes he had all the glorious menacing presance we had hoped for, but he hardly appeared in the film, the role of head bad 'guy' being given to the entirely un-sinister Sophie Marcau.

Denise Richards made a suitably beautiful Bond girl, but her role in the film was 'wedged in'. After the escape from the missile silo, she had no reason to tag along with Bond, in fact her presence was absurd as 007 is supposed to be a top secret agent. And OK, the romance in Bond films is rarely convincing, but this one just seemed to spring from nowhere, just to have the out of place Roger Moore style ending (and Pierce is no Roger Moore). The action sequences were uninspiring, with the obvious exception of the blistering pre-credits scenes (which are the highlight of the whole film). John Cleese is also Austin Powers than Bond.

The 'set looking locations' used were also rather dull and uninteresting, again with the exception of the Greenwich scenes. The real shame is that there were some great elements. Nonetheless, I can't help thinking that this film could have been so much better.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Suprised nobody has mentioned George Miller.

The guy can film action, thats for sure.

I think everyone wishing for all these great "dramatic" directors are missing the point. Bond films are action/adventures at their base level. Get a guy(or gal) who has proven chops in directing superb action.

If the actors and script are decent then the queiter, dramatic scenes will sort themselves out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Roadphill, I would've, but I'm selfish and would rather him dedicate his time to the sequel to 'Fury Road,' rather than a series he won't have 100% creative control over.
    Its an interesting thought to take the same script and imagine how different directors would interpret the raw material. Bond in the style of Miller? Not my cup of tea, could be a "car crash" in more than one sense. Just like Bond in the style of Tarantino. Certain directors have such a trade mark style, that when they bring that style to an existing franchise, it can look like a send up, (MI2 a good example IMHO)
    Also, can't see the logic in "dramatic scenes will sort themselves out", these IMHO take just as much skill and touch as action.
    I really think some on here need to let the Campbell dream go. I don't mean to sound negative but I don't see him ever directing another Bond again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I want a journeyman in the Campbell/Glen mold next time out. Time to get back to basics and dump the auteurs. I don't think Babs will go for that though, given recent choices, but that would be my preference.
  • Campbell, Scott, Donaldson, Villeneuve, Bigelow, Cuaron, and Miller would all be great choices. Please no kitchen-sink drama or rom-com directors, EON (e.g. Roger Michell).