What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ah, Denis Villeneuve. he also directed Prisoners with Hugh Jackman. these are two very intense films. It would be interesting to see what he would do with Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Sorry, forgot to specify who it was.
    An interesting choice with great potential.
    Villeneuve is definitely a director I'd like to see taking on a Bond film.

I'd also love to see EON hand the reigns over to David Fincher for a film or two.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to ask, but who is "this guy" above?

I second that question.

Denis Villeneuve
    Zack Snyder ...... Doubleego has already put out a hit on me hasn't he....

Kidding of course in all seriousness I really think getting Pierre Morrel considering if bond 25 is gonna go the way we all think (Swann either kidnaped or murdered and bond going on full revenge mode) why not get a director proven to take that tired concept and really devlope it into something cool.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, this movie is still years away, so that's IF they take one of those routes and don't scrap the last movie entirely and start over fresh (given that we get a new actor in the role).
    While your probably right when discussing a project I tend to go with what I know or what I think what will happen...

For example no one knows anything about Ben Affleck's batman film except who will write and direct it and yet because of one Easter egg in BVS everyone assumes the next film will either be

Batman Under the Red Hood
    Or
    Batman Death in the family

When that Easter egg might not even be explored in the next film and might just be referenced in the middle of the film
    Gareth Edwards director of The Raid and The Raid 2. No one directs action like him, that would be terrific.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    phibes72 wrote: »
    Gareth Edwards director of The Raid and The Raid 2. No one directs action like him, that would be terrific.

Evans said that his next film, called 'Blister', will be 'an action movie with more gunplay and a car chase that is "the craziest thing we've ever done." '
    phibes72 wrote: »

His even handling of incredible, unique action scenes and wonderful, tense drama would make him a great choice, as well. If anything, we won't be disappointed when it comes to any action sequences, that's for sure.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 check out the post I made at the same time as yours!
    Haven't heard of 'Blister' until now, looking forward to it. Check out his 'Pre Vis Action' short film he did with a few 'Raid' cast members, if you haven't. It's pretty entertaining!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    wrong page. sorry
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'll be honest the first time I viewed QoS the editing did throw me, but I now believe it adds to the enjoyment. the action set-pieces in QoS are, I believe, the best in the Craig era, and I include my favourite CR! That opening car chase is among the greatest they've staged, and each time I see it, I see something new and it always seems fresh, and it is really thrilling! Bradley and his crew did a splendid job of choreographing it, same goes for the scaffolding fight, and even the brief shootout in the restaurant at the Opera sequence was more exciting than the rather dull shootout at the inquiry in SF! Would love to see Dan Bradley return as second unit Director for Bond 25!
    I tend to agree, but I do like the pretitles in SF very much, especially when Bond slams the bike into the guardrail to fall over and catch the train.

I watched it just yesterday and that Inquiry shootout also has one of the best 'badassery' moments from Daniel Craig. Namely the wink at Mallory, followed by shooting the fire extinguishers, and then walking out calmly into the open firing his PPK. The man!
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,980
    I like Fincher but feel it will be Hooper just a gut feeling
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Haven't heard of 'Blister' until now, looking forward to it. Check out his 'Pre Vis Action' short film he did with a few 'Raid' cast members, if you haven't. It's pretty entertaining!
    Thanks @Creasy47, that clip is pretty entertaining. However, it suffers from the same problem as The Raid 2. Although there are multiple attackers, they don´t work together, so that it´s basically always just one on one. The single person is too much in between the attackers, instead of lining them up. There are too many unused windows for the attackers. The lady makes similar mistakes when she fights the remaining swordguy with two swords.
    Getting too fancy takes the viscerality out of such scenes. The Machete scenes in The Raid had really cool multiple attack elements, and while I enjoy the story and characters in The Raid 2, I´m not too fond of how the action got more stylised.

Its rare these days to watch a movie and come out thinking "that was really well directed" and be excited to look at future work. For me, Sicario was really well directed. The balance between action, the suspense leading up to the action (for example, the tunnel or traffic/border scenes) and the character development was just spot on. Exactly the balance the we need in a future Bond. Plus his career is spot on in terms of "up and coming" if that makes sense.
    @boldfinger, that's understandable. A few moments in 'The Raid 2' stood out for me for that reason, particularly the part where Prakoso holds off against everyone at the night club, simply because you can see attackers waiting until it's their turn, when realistically, they should all be attacking at once for maximum effect and damage.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Paul Greengrass

Brilliant track record with the Bourne series, Green Zone and Captain Phillips.

Probably say no as he's a leftie who would balk at a British hero spy.

Has no qualms about American Spies though....
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Id like to see Martin Campbell back or John McTiernan
    Any particular reason for wanting McTiernan? Past the fact that he's an American, I don't believe he has directed a movie in, what, a decade?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sometime ago I did want McTiernan to direct a Bond film, but that was a long time ago... Before we entered the second decade of the 21st century.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Any particular reason for wanting McTiernan? Past the fact that he's an American, I don't believe he has directed a movie in, what, a decade?

His version of the Thomas Crown Affair was very Bondian hehe. Mix his Thomas Crown version with his Die hard flicks and we get the perfect Bond flick.

He understand and style glamour and action three very important ingredients for a Bond film.

Thomas Crown's vacation home loooked like something Bond could have stayed in, the stealing and returnining of the painting was very stylish and elegant very much like the Bond flicks of the 60s and the how good he is shooting a love scene is something that could help the abond films.

His Thomas Crown remake looks almost like a Bond flick without the fights

• edited June 2016 Posts: 5,767
    @boldfinger, that's understandable. A few moments in 'The Raid 2' stood out for me for that reason, particularly the part where Prakoso holds off against everyone at the night club, simply because you can see attackers waiting until it's their turn, when realistically, they should all be attacking at once for maximum effect and damage.
    @Creasy47, that´s also the first scene that came to my mind in that context. It´s a bit of a shame, because otherwise that scene is pure bliss.

On the other hand, looking at the progress Evans made as a director in terms of faces, characters, and story, it would be thrilling to see what he would do with Bond one of these years. The roof fight of Bond vs a dozen harbor workers in FYEO comes to mind :-).

Ok I admit it, I wouldn´t be able to sleep for two years if Evans was announced.

Szonana wrote: »

His version of the Thomas Crown Affair was very Bondian hehe. Mix his Thomas Crown version with his Die hard flicks and we get the perfect Bond flick.

He understand and style glamour and action three very important ingredients for a Bond film.

Thomas Crown's vacation home loooked like something Bond could have stayed in, the stealing and returnining of the painting was very stylish and elegant very much like the Bond flicks of the 60s and the how good he is shooting a love scene is something that could help the abond films.

His Thomas Crown remake looks almost like a Bond flick without the fights
    @Szonana, good points in favor of McTiernan. However, McTiernan has been known to be rather progressive, so it´s not very likely he would feel inspired by the idea of retreading his past. Which doesn´t have to mean, on the other hand, that he wouldn´t do a terrific Bond film. He was on hiatus due to this FBI prison thing, which could mean he´s hot for work. He was said to make a new film last year or so, I haven´t heard anything about that one for a long time, which is probably not such a good sign.

And just for the record, I strongly object to explicit love scenes in Bond films. They should always stay hinted at.

There are only a few little casting/crew decisions they could make that would have me past the point of being excited, and casting Evans as director would be one of them. Returning to the CR/QoS style of fighting, combined with his expert choreography? Plus, one can only assume we'd see a 'Raid' cast member as a villain of some sort. If only!
    I've said it before a long time ago but I am saying it again, Sam Raimi, left field choice but can handle a big blockbuster but with his own style, not expecting much agreement but i'm sticking to it!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I've said it before a long time ago but I am saying it again, Sam Raimi, left field choice but can handle a big blockbuster but with his own style, not expecting much agreement but i'm sticking to it!

He did a good job on The Evil Dead.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @boldfinger

He doesn't have to copy almost exactly what he did in thomas crown but something similar he has the ability for action and the style for Bond so like i said mix a little of Die Hrad and The Thomas Crown just a little more tamed and we are fine.

Now on love scenes maybe not tottaly explicit but something like what they did in Die Another day its fine almost R rated material but not that much.

The love scene at the island was nice or the one at the ice palace with Miranda. Though that one was supposed to be something different and they changed their minds at last minute