What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

fjdinardo wrote: »
    If a director is going to direct a Bond film he/or she needs to know their Bond history. History about the novels, and history about the films. If you don't know your Bond history then you should not be directing a Bond film.
    Well, Mendes showed what comes off it when you hire a "Bond fan".
    Perhaps it wouldn´t be bad if the producers had a clearer vision of some key elements, like Cubby and Saltzman had.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    I've been championing Alfonso Cuaron, and I watched QoS again this afternoon (Still great Bond movie!) and something I didn't notice before. in the end credits for the cast, it has 'Additional voices...Guillermo Del Toro and Alfonso Cuaron'!! Whats that all about? Has anyone noticed it before?

during the opera scene Marc forester brought in a few of his buddies to record dialogue

hence why you also here Forester saying

"I'm still not sure the Tierra project is the best use of Quantum's time"
    boldfinger wrote: »
    If a director is going to direct a Bond film he/or she needs to know their Bond history. History about the novels, and history about the films. If you don't know your Bond history then you should not be directing a Bond film.
    Perhaps it wouldn´t be bad if the producers had a clearer vision of some key elements, like Cubby and Saltzman had.

And Marc Foster has shown what comes to hiring a non bond fan.

Mendes he's shown to make very financially successful Bond films so to them their investment with Sam paid off.
    boldfinger wrote: »

And Marc Foster has shown what comes to hiring a non bond fan.

Mendes he's shown to make very financially successful Bond films so to them their investment with Sam paid off.
    I prefer the former much over financial success.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,261
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Danny Boyle
    Philipp Noyce
    Christoph McQuarrie
    Tomas Alfredson
    (who is currently filming the adaption of Jo Nesbo's SNOWMAN with Michael Fassbender as Harry Hole, and I liked TINKER TAYLOR SOLDIER SPY)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Alfonso Cuaron is a genius, I own and love all of his movie especially
    Y Tu Mamá También and Children Of Men but I'm not sure he would be the right choice for Bond
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    What about John McTiernan he is American but i think could understand Bond very well. His job with The Thomas Craig affair showed he can do something very style and cool.

With Die Hard maybe many think he is too similar to Glenn but the way he pulled off the thomas crown affair makes me think he could be the greatest thing happeining to Bond.

Another pick is Roger Donaldson who was great directing The November man.
    Isn't John mctiernan in jail?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

He's now out.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    talos7 wrote: »

He's now out.

So he could do a Bond film but why was he in jail?
    Does anyone know?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Szonana wrote: »

He's now out.

Does anyone know?

"He pled guilty to perjury and lying to an FBI investigator in regard to his hiring of the private investigator Anthony Pellicano in late 2000 to illegally wiretap the phone calls of two people, one of whom was Charles Roven, a co-producer of his dystopian science-fiction action film remake Rollerball (2002).[4] He was incarcerated in federal prison from April 2013 to February 2014. During his imprisonment, he declared bankruptcy amidst foreclosure proceedings for his ranch residence and struggles to pay legal fees and IRS tax debt.[5] His last completed film project was the mystery-thriller Basic, released in 2003."

My source is the only trustworthy, official site out there, Wikipedia.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »

He's now out.

Does anyone know?

"He pled guilty to perjury and lying to an FBI investigator in regard to his hiring of the private investigator Anthony Pellicano in late 2000 to illegally wiretap the phone calls of two people, one of whom was Charles Roven, a co-producer of his dystopian science-fiction action film remake Rollerball (2002).[4] He was incarcerated in federal prison from April 2013 to February 2014. During his imprisonment, he declared bankruptcy amidst foreclosure proceedings for his ranch residence and struggles to pay legal fees and IRS tax debt.[5] His last completed film project was the mystery-thriller Basic, released in 2003."

My source is the only trustworthy, official site out there, Wikipedia.

That's sad
    He is a very talented director who got into trouble just for doing something as stupid as lying about the rights of a film.
    Lets hope he can worl again and show why he is one of the best in action along with Martin Campbell

How about something a little left field. I thought Suzanne Bier did a fantastic job of directing Night Manager. Cool style, great clean clear visuals and very classy. Just what Bond needs. And a female could give an interesting perspective on the franchise
    Christopher McQuarrie
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,261
    After having watched KINGSMEN I would like Matthew Vaughn to do a Bond film. If not Bond 25 or 26, then later. Of course a bit more serious. Only a bit though. ;) Or Roger Donaldson (just watched BANK JOB again on German TV and still liked it).
    No artsy wanna be original directors anymore like Marc Forster or Sam Mendes.

The only two good directors in the last 20 years were Martin Campbell and Roger Spottiswoode.

Mendes did good with Spectre but only because he had his trail and error run with Skyfall.

I hope they get someone that knows how to direct gritty action.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How about Martin Campbell again? :-bd

The only two good directors in the last 20 years were Martin Campbell and Roger Spottiswoode.

Mendes did good with Spectre but only because he had his trail and error run with Skyfall.

The action in the world of 007 has never been grittier than it was in QoS.

If barely visible or recognisable.

I do feel bad for those who have issues with following along with the action. Not sure why, but it's damn good to me, and that's the kind of fighting I've wanted to see Bond partake in for quite some time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

=))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This guy:

director-Denis-Villeneuve-009.jpg
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,473
    @jake24, he's probably one of the only directors that'll get me truly excited for 'Bond 25.'

I do feel bad for those who have issues with following along with the action. Not sure why, but it's damn good to me, and that's the kind of fighting I've wanted to see Bond partake in for quite some time.

Maybe it's an age thing. In 2008 at 34 I was barely able to follow the PTS it gave me a headache and I seriously doubted EONs sanity. On TV it's better of course. Still some of the action could be so much better if edited in a sane way and not in warp 9.5 tempo.
    I'd prefer it not be edited any way other than how they meant for it to be; like I stated the other day, the frenetic, fast-paced style of the action is very fitting with the rest of the movie, and what makes the movie click so well for me would be negated if the action was edited differently.
    I'll be honest the first time I viewed QoS the editing did throw me, but I now believe it adds to the enjoyment. the action set-pieces in QoS are, I believe, the best in the Craig era, and I include my favourite CR! That opening car chase is among the greatest they've staged, and each time I see it, I see something new and it always seems fresh, and it is really thrilling! Bradley and his crew did a splendid job of choreographing it, same goes for the scaffolding fight, and even the brief shootout in the restaurant at the Opera sequence was more exciting than the rather dull shootout at the inquiry in SF! Would love to see Dan Bradley return as second unit Director for Bond 25!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,588
    @jake24, he's probably one of the only directors that'll get me truly excited for 'Bond 25.'

If it was announced that he, along with Deakins' are on board for B25, I can't fathom how I would react.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm embarrassed to ask, but who is "this guy" above?
    I'm embarrassed to ask, but who is "this guy" above?

I second that question.
    Director of Sicario.