What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They're pretty tied up at the moment with Capt. America and future Avenger films, but the Russo brothers would be high on my list.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Nolan would be about the last choice I would appreciate. I´m not sure wether I should feel save because Mendes in fact channeled a lot of Nolan, or if SF and SP were merely groundwork for bringing Nolan to the franchise. But since Nolan seems to be busy at the moment with his next film, at least for the time being it seems I´m safe ;-).

So Nolan is the worst director alive on this planet? Does your wife have a crush on him or something? I find that a bit harsh.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It depends on what EON want. If they want big concept multi-film storyline then Nolan is probably as good as one can get. He has vision and is not lacking in ambition or confidence.

If they want to scale back and do a dark thriller with some action then there are others who can do a better job.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,551
    I'm still convinced that Nolan has what it takes for a Bond film and for pretty much any Bond film, no matter what the scale. He certainly made big and loud films in recent times but Nolan also made Following, Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige, all of which are fairly limited in scope.

Christopher Nolan seems to be a tough sell for some. I have read things like "heartless", "cold", "cerebral", ... when people describe his films. It's something I haven't noticed though. His Dark Knight trilogy is one of the only superhero series where almost all the prominent characters work through an emotional arc. The series is also very much in keeping with several comic book series in the Batman universe. As a fan of those, I truly admire Nolan's powerful trilogy.

Where are the cold, heartless Nolan films I wonder. Inception? The Prestige? Interstellar? I disagree. And I for one enjoy the fact that Nolan makes me think during a movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't like Nolan's writing. Too expository, however I'm fine with him directing only, the only down side is he'd likely Bring on Hans Zimmer to compose and I'm afraid he'd be like Newman and deliver a weak score.
    His writing is my main objection to Nolan taking the helm of a Bond film. If he were to come on board and not have a hand in writing the script, then I'd be more okay with it, even if he wouldn't be my first choice for the job.
    I bet Nolan could write a script that makes P&W weep and bleed.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I don't doubt that. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It would certainly make me weep for being to expository and overblown. ;)
    Does anyone think Martin Campbell could be enticed back, to make another Bond film?
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Martin Campbell could be enticed back, to make another Bond film?
    I hope so, he's my top choice for B25.
    Except he is 660 years old. His knees ache.
    Except he is 660 years old. His knees ache.
    Twice as bad in the cold, so film in the Caribbean!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Campbell would be a great choice to bookend Craig's tenure as 007.
    To those who are anti-Nolan, lets not forget that Directors mature and learn as they progress. It's far too simplistic IMHO to use the Batman movies as a template for how he would handle Bond. I think he deserves more credit than that. He knows how to make iconic movies that receive critical and box office success.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited December 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Looks like Nolan will be making a World War II film that revolve around Dunkirk:http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/du...b47588n3239911

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ch...ie-1201662561/

Christopher Nolan to Direct Action Thriller ‘Dunkirk’ For Warner Bros. 

Christopher Nolan looks to be headed to France during World War II for his next project.

Sources tell Variety that Nolan will direct “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay as his next project. Insiders say the yet-to-be cast unknowns will lead the cast, but that Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy are currently in talks to join the ensemble.

Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas.

The story is set during the legendary evacuation of the northern French city during WWII. Nolan and his casting department recently began testing teenagers in London for lead roles, but the director also wanted to nail down some choices for the few adult roles in the film before the holiday.

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story.

Rylance will also be seen in next year’s “The BFG.” He is repped by Hamilton Hodell.

Hardy, who is repped by CAA, can currently be seen in Fox and New Regency’s “The Revenant” while Branagh most recently helmed “Cinderella” for Disney.

Justin Kroll
    @krolljvar

The film will actually be lead by unknown teenagers, Rylance, Hardy and Branagh will be supporting players

patb wrote: »
    To those who are anti-Nolan, lets not forget that Directors mature and learn as they progress. It's far too simplistic IMHO to use the Batman movies as a template for how he would handle Bond. I think he deserves more credit than that. He knows how to make iconic movies that receive critical and box office success.

That's true. But, and I can only speak for myself, but it's his progression, or maturation, as a director that would make me rather see someone else take the job. I much prefer early-Nolan over post-Prestige Nolan.

I rather like Nolan's films from the beginning through The Prestige. It was from The Dark Knight onward that I think we've been seeing diminishing returns in terms of the quality of his films. For me, The Dark Knight is vastly overrated, and complete with all of the problems that we've seen rear their head in the Sam Mendes Bond films (weak script, sometimes dull action, etc.) Both the latter Batman films and Mendes' Bond films share a common DNA in that they force their (decidedly brilliant) casts to carry the film rather than giving those actors something brilliant to work from to make an even better film.

If Nolan could produce a Bond film similar to Batman Begins, which would be a good template from which to work in terms of balancing the drama and action necessary in a modern-day Bond film, then I could get behind that, although there are still quite a few other directors I'd like to see take a crack at it. But, if it's going to be the Nolan of The Dark Knight onward, then I'd be much more in favor of EON looking elsewhere, as tempting as it may be to get on board the cash cow that Nolan's films have become.

I thought The Dark Knight was excellent, although it doesn't have the rewatch value of Batman Begins for me. I found the premise about a chaos spreading agent who is the anti-hero, and in effect who was created by the hero (if you recall the end of Batman Begins), and obsessed with him, quite topical - especially given global affairs these days. What didn't you like about it @dalton?

I also really liked Inception. As I watched it for the first time, I remember thinking what a complex story it was to tell and how well it was being done given said complexity. A dream within a dream within a dream - now that takes vision and ambition.
    I trust that Nolan is flexible enough to realise that a Bond film isn't a Nolan film, it might at best be a Nolan directed film. I for one would love to see what Nolan would do with a Bond script written by other people (and not his brother or David Goyer.) Nolan has been on my 007 Radar since The Prestige.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    J.J. Abrams.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,400
    Personally, I'm in two minds as a lot depends on what the story is for Bond 25:

Route A:

If the story is a continuation of the Craig era films (and Daniel Craig returns) I believe that Sam Mendes has to come back. Mendes set up so many story beats with SF and SP that he has to be the man to finish them off. I say this as someone how certainly has mixed feelings about SP, however, I feel those characters and relationships are best served by Mendes. He started it and therefore should finish it.

However, what happens if Mendes decides against returning and Craig is still committed? Like every fan here I want Martin Campbell to come back. I feel he may be enticed as he's had a string of flops and every 10 years he likes to return to this franchise. Plus, Campbell's a true Bond fan and who wouldn't want to direct Bond and Blofeld together?

If not Campbell, I feel the producers just need to get someone competent to do the job (no auters), just someone who can finish the story and listen to EON. Akin to the Marvel model; get a young British director wanting to prove his chops and give him a shot. Allow him enough room but make sure he adequately finishes the Craig era off competently. This might sound demeaning, but I've essentially just described Martin Campbell. You need a journeyman who knows his way around this stuff or someone trying to make their name.

Some names to consider:

Yann Demange ('71, Top Boy)
    Corinna McFarlane (The Silent Storm)
    David Mackenzie (Starred Up, Perfect Sense)
    Justin Chadwick (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, The First Grader)
    Susanna White (Our Kind of Traitor, Parade's End)
    Lenny Abrahamson (Frank, Room)
    Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game, Headhunters)
    Justin Kurzel (Macbeth, The Snowtown Murders)
    John Maclean (Slow West)

Route B:

If Craig and Mendes really are done then it's time to rejuvinate the franchise again. This is the fun part: Trying to find an actor and a new director who compliment each other. For me there are a host of interesting A-list names but also some interesting smaller names.

Just to throw in some other names people aren't talking about but should be:

Andrea Arnold:

fish-tank-DI-01.jpg

Alex Garland:

machina-1414688329428_540h.jpg

Steve McQueen:

12-years-a-slave-steve-mcqueen-lupita-nyongo.jpg
    @Pierce2Daniel, if it's Campbell, I'd rather it be a new actor also.

He has shown he can introduce a new Bond actor well, twice. The problem however, is that he sets a benchmark with that first film that sadly can't be topped in the actor's tenure - or so it would seem.

If they choose to go with a new, younger director, then I want him / her to do at least two in succession to have some continuity. I have not liked how the vision / tone has changed between Campbell's superior original introduction and the follow ups by Spottiswoode and Forster respectively.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think EoN should stop wasting theirs and everyone else's time and just hire Alfonso Cuaron. It'll be the best investment they would have made in years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I concur with @doubleoego. Cuaron is an inspired choice. Some of scenes in 'Children of Men' are out of this world.
  • Some names to consider:

Yann Demange ('71, Top Boy)
    Corinna McFarlane (The Silent Storm)
    David Mackenzie (Starred Up, Perfect Sense)
    Justin Chadwick (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, The First Grader)
    Susanna White (Our Kind of Traitor, Parade's End)
    Lenny Abrahamson (Frank, Room)
    Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game, Headhunters)
    Justin Kurzel (Macbeth, The Snowtown Murders)
    John Maclean (Slow West)

Some strong, legitimate choices here! It's great to see a post that isn't just a rehash of the usual Fincher/Nolan/Spielberg/other generic A-listers. I don't know a lot about some of these, but I loved Tyldum's Headhunters, he'd be great, and with The Imitation Game he'd bring that Oscar-ish prestige. Also Justin Kurzel's Macbeth looks impressive, but he may be franchised up already with Assassin's Creed.
    Route B:

Andrea Arnold:
    Alex Garland:
    Steve McQueen:

Andrea Arnold probably a bit too obscure/low key for EON. Garland very interesting, but all his projects other than The Beach have been sci-fi. It might be something to have a Bond movie exploring robotics or space travel etc but it would be risky. McQueen, ahh, I kind of don't see it. He would certainly fit the bill of being British and credible/prestigious, but he doesn't seem like a very fun time popcorn car chases and explosions kind of guy!
    Nolan would be about the last choice I would appreciate. I´m not sure wether I should feel save because Mendes in fact channeled a lot of Nolan, or if SF and SP were merely groundwork for bringing Nolan to the franchise. But since Nolan seems to be busy at the moment with his next film, at least for the time being it seems I´m safe ;-).

So Nolan is the worst director alive on this planet? Does your wife have a crush on him or something? I find that a bit harsh.
    I´m sure most directors alive on this planet are not remotely considered for Bond, so I don´t consider them a choice. Nolan is/was being considered. IMO he is the most overrated director alive on this planet.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,727

I´m sure most directors alive on this planet are not remotely considered for Bond, so I don´t consider them a choice. Nolan is/was being considered. IMO he is the most overrated director alive on this planet.

I can almost agree - Nolan is a (merely) good filmmaker who gets credited as being one of the very best of the modern era, which is a tad too rich given that he has only made 2 (or at best 3) excellent movies. I'd put Ridley Scott in this category too.

But the most overrated director crown surely has to go to Tarantino - the man urgently needs someone to reign in his (admittedly good, but just not great) scripts. He knows how to construct good stories but his characters are two-dimensional and the man just cannot edit.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    AceHole wrote: »

I can almost agree - Nolan is a (merely) good filmmaker who gets credited as being one of the very best of the modern era, which is a tad too rich given that he has only made 2 (or at best 3) excellent movies. I'd put Ridley Scott in this category too.

But the most overrated director crown surely has to go to Tarantino - the man urgently needs someone to reign in his (admittedly good, but just not great) scripts. He knows how to construct good stories but his characters are two-dimensional and the man just cannot edit.

Really? I respect your opinion but I don't really think the most overrated. He has his critics.

I'm not sure who truly is the most overrated if there is one.

Probably David Fincher.
    There you go.

As for Tarantino, he´s marvellous in creating fascinating scenes, but the films on the whole don´t seem very complete. I never get the feeling that I saw a story arc coming full circle, even though technically it´s there. The films feel soulless to me in a way.