No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    There's always ideas to be had. It's time to start digging into the Gardener Books and other Continuation novels for ideas and give them the Fleming touch.
    There's also still plenty of Fleming source material left.

But of course but there's no harm in combining elements too. The Colonel Sun stuff in Spectre was great. I want to see more of that with Bond 25. :)
    I actually haven't read Colonel Sun, but that bit of dialogue in the torture sequence was superb.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,698
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As absurd as it may sound and I may get blasted for this but I kind of feel as though Bond feels like it's run its course. I'm sure that this won't be the case for years to come but it sort of feels like that's what we're approaching.
    Naaaaa.... in future post here someone will write:
    "Bond has exceeded many expectations over the last 100 odd years but since the last 3 immersive vids, the series just feels so uneven and lacking in its management and there doesn't seem to be that confidence & creativity. As absurd as it may resonate as I sort of feel as though Bond has run its course."

The more things change.... :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I must have missed the EON putsch that seized power and instigated these curbs on free speech. whining.

now it's correct
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I must have missed the EON putsch that seized power and instigated these curbs on free speech. whining.

now it's correct
    Star_Trek_II_The_Wrath_of_Khan.gif
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Of the four Craig films, there was only ONE delay due to their wish to get Mendes. ALL other delays were not their fault.

Stop moaning everybody. This is getting ridiculous amd childish.

I don't even think that was a delay. Broccoli and Wilson would prefer three years between movies. When Mendes relented, they got to get him back on a timetable they preferred anyway.

In the spring of 2012, Rory Bruer, a Sony executive, said Bond 24 would be out in 2014. Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig slapped down the idea in an interview, even mentioning Bruer by name.

http://collider.com/daniel-craig-barbara-broccoli-skyfall-interview/#more-162975

Last week Rory, the president of distribution of Sony, announced Bond 24 for I guess late 2014…

Broccoli: He was getting a little overexcited (laughs). We’re just actually focusing on this movie. One hopes that in the future we’ll be announcing other films, but no one’s officially announced it.

Craig: No one’s announced anything. He got a little ahead of himself (laughs). It’s very nice that he has the confidence to be able to do that, but we haven’t finished this movie yet.

In November 2012, Barbara Broccoli would not commit to a 2014 release date for Bond 24 at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/14/entertainment/la-et-mn-skyfall-next-james-bond-movie-20121113

"Sometimes there are external pressures from a studio who want you to make it in a certain time frame or for their own benefit, and sometimes we’ve given into that," Broccoli said. "But following what we hope will be a tremendous success with 'Skyfall,' we have to try to keep the deadlines within our own time limits and not cave in to external pressures."

In other words, Eon didn't delay SPECTRE. It never wanted to get it out before 2015 in the first place.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Don't pay any attention to that MGM executive. He's talking to the press about his results. Anyone in the corporate relations dept. knows this is just b/s to keep the peeps at bay.

Once they get the distribution deal done we will get our Bond actor announced and film release date. It will be sooner rather than later if Craig is back because they have to get a move on with continuation storylines (neither Craig nor Waltz will hang around forever - if they futz about too long I think it will go the way of Dalton post-LTK, meaning he will step down from the role).

If he's not back, then we could have a longer delay regrettably, if they are going for a directional change with the new actor.

The only thing that's for certain, the 3-4 yr comment from that exec should be ignored. It's as irrelevant as his comment about the 2 yr cycle pre-SF imho.
  • Having seen SP I do think that the B24/B25 would have worked better. As long as B24 did not end on a typical cliffhanger but an ending like YOLT where the plot is closed but Blofeld still survives. Or like how CR and QOS are connected. That would have been alright and apparently we would have had less of a wait between films...
    I think they should start filming them back to back like they did lord of the rings.That way we wont end up with wasted eras like craigs 4 films in 11 years compared to broz's 4 films in 7 years.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Then you'd be pigeon-holed. I'd prefer each film have it's own story and perspective. That idea may work for superhero fare and the like, but a Bond films work best when made to be it's own unit. Continuity and Bond is not important to me.

Actually yes I would prefer that the films weren't so insistent on continuity but this is Daniel Craig's era after all... I mean they can't stop now can they? When they bring in a new actor they can start having standalone missions, that would be for the best.
    why cant you have 2 stand alone missions that are just filmed back to back so they can take a longer break and we don't have to wait years without a bond film.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    why cant you have 2 stand alone missions that are just filmed back to back so they can take a longer break and we don't have to wait years without a bond film.
    If they are really standalone, then you have double the cast and perhaps double the location and sets. A very costly up front investment for a return/payoff into the future (when film #2 is released). The funding/investment side would be untenable imho.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The problem is too much pre-production & too much post production.
    In THIS day of receding world economy, WRITERS should be way more important than the CGI FX team.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    The problem is too much pre-production & too much post production.
    In THIS day of receding world economy, WRITERS should be way more important than the CGI FX team.

Hear, hear.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    //Don't pay any attention to that MGM executive. He's talking to the press about his results.//

Actually, he's talking to financial analysts and investors. Reporters can listen but don't get to ask questions.
    //Don't pay any attention to that MGM executive. He's talking to the press about his results.//

Actually, he's talking to financial analysts and investors. Reporters can listen but don't get to ask questions.
    Sorry, that's what I meant when I said 'press'. His job in this instance is to portray a confident and positive outlook for the company. That they are in good shape. That all is fine and well. I've been involved in preparing materials for these kind of situations. Take forecast info with a pinch of salt, especially in the middle of high stake negotiations.
    I wonder if Cubby would be able to handle making movies in 2016 with his mindset.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Then you'd be pigeon-holed. I'd prefer each film have it's own story and perspective. That idea may work for superhero fare and the like, but a Bond film works best when made to be it's own unit. Continuity in Bond is not important to me.

Agreed. That's one less silly thing to get hung up on.

• bondjames wrote: »

Sorry, that's what I meant when I said 'press'. His job in this instance is to portray a confident and positive outlook for the company. That they are in good shape. That all is fine and well. I've been involved in preparing materials for these kind of situations. Take forecast info with a pinch of salt, especially in the middle of high stake negotiations.

OK, understood.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm glad I at least spent the first 27 years of my life with the longest gap being 2 1/2 years. And that was an anomaly.

Ironic that the Bond films now take three years while the Star Wars films take two.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Oh wait - when was the last SW film before this one? Just asking...or call it reality check. Much needed here.
    Sounds like the franchise is getting tired and running out of ideas.

I hate to admit it but sounds like you're right. Bond has overcome many obstacles over the last 50 odd years but since the last 3 flicks, the series just feels so uneven and wish-washy in its management and there just doesn't seem to be that focused sense of direction and confidence. As absurd as it may sound nd I may get blasted for this but I kind of feel as though Bond feels like it's run its course. I'm sure that this won't be the case for years to come but it sort of feels like that's what we're approaching.
    I really feel the series will peter out with a whimper like this. The longer waits the more likely people will be less interested and every single new film will have to re-introduce Bond for a new generation....and again prove he's relevant. That got old after GoldenEye.

Are the long waits really that bad?

If they were back to every 2 years again I think they would maybe def dilute and become less special in this day and age where movies are being slapped out.

Although I would love as many Bond films as poss in my lifetime I would hate to see Bond do a Disney where I rapidly have lost interest
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Sounds like the franchise is getting tired and running out of ideas.

I hate to admit it but sounds like you're right. Bond has overcome many obstacles over the last 50 odd years but since the last 3 flicks, the series just feels so uneven and wish-washy in its management and there just doesn't seem to be that focused sense of direction and confidence. As absurd as it may sound nd I may get blasted for this but I kind of feel as though Bond feels like it's run its course. I'm sure that this won't be the case for years to come but it sort of feels like that's what we're approaching.
    I really feel the series will peter out with a whimper like this. The longer waits the more likely people will be less interested and every single new film will have to re-introduce Bond for a new generation....and again prove he's relevant. That got old after GoldenEye.
    This is certainly a good point. Also, it's not like they're really moving the needle in terms of creativity even with the longer wait times, at least imho. More of the same old same old, with average (at best) plots and concept. Longer waits should ideally imply something special at the end of it all. So far, that's hardly been the case.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Bond films with longer gaps is a huge misdirection imo. I'm not sure why the past few films have been so mismanaged, with little to no future direction. Not to mention the fact that they could cherry-pick writers yet they couldn't come up with a decent script for 24 without begging for NP&W. They used to be ahead of the game, and now they're lagging behind even when they do release a movie. They need to be making more movies, and getting a modern fanbase built up. To be honest I really hope they give their distribution rights to Disney, at least they give their fans what they want.
    Interesting how the earlier films with gaps were would rotate between summer and winter releases: YOLT- the first longer gap was released a year and half after TB in summer of 67. Then OHMSS was a 2 and 1/2 year wait-out in winter. DAF was a full 2 years- winter, but LALD was only a year and a half later-summer. TMWTGG-again a year and a half- winter release. TSWLM gap was again 2 and 1/2 years- summer release which began a 12 year period of 2 year summer releases.
    A compromise would be nice. Couldn't MGM do something similar- maybe do a 2 and 1/2 year summer 2018 release? I actually miss the Bonds being a summer event. Then have the follow up winter of 2020? I'd assume a new actor signing a contract to play Bond is less likely to commit to 4 films with a 3-4 year gap.
    I would love a summer release.
    I just worry that the more years that go by and the more years In between bond films the closer we get to the Bond series ending for good and I don't want that to happen.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I just worry that the more years that go by and the more years In between bond films the closer we get to the Bond series ending for good and I don't want that to happen.
    If anything, it might actually help the Bond franchise, keeping the hype alive and the overall want for another Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A three-to-four year wait from here on out? Okay...why? Suppose it's time I really crank back on any expectation or excitement for the Bond franchise and just let it come as it does. Perhaps the time will fly by much faster then.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind if the Bond series ceased during my lifetime. It would ensure that I didn't miss one. OTOH, Bond has never been healthier--and wealthier--and looks to stick around for a very long time indeed.