No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Brosnan-era was perfect. 95 97 99 02

4 movies within 7-8 years should be the goal.

It is doable, it worked in the past.

Waiting for a director is inexcusable, there are enough who would have loved doing Spectre a year earlier.
    And Craig is an actor, if he wouldn't have liked the choice of EON for a director other than Mendes, he could have called it quits.
    In my opinion BB let Craig way too much into the production process.

Once a new actor is announced I expect EON to have a long term plan for 3 movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    But if Bond is so healthy and wealthy now, why not capitalize on that? Why does there seem to be an air of disinterest in getting a new one to the audiences sooner rather than later?
    Guys, why the anxiety? You are terribly overreacting. The film just quit theaters. What do you expect? After SF left the show, nobody was expecting any news and rightly so. What is going on? Its just not logic all this whining and believing every bs thrown in your direction is insane.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The Brosnan-era was perfect. 95 97 99 02

4 movies within 7-8 years should be the goal.

It is doable, it worked in the past.

Waiting for a director is inexcusable, there are enough who would have loved doing Spectre a year earlier.
    And Craig is an actor, if he wouldn't have liked the choice of EON for a director other than Mendes, he could have called it quits.
    In my opinion BB let Craig way too much into the production process.

Once a new actor is announced I expect EON to have a long term plan for 3 movies.

As far as frequency of product, I agree completely.

That's what I meant of course :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 40,492
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Guys, why the anxiety? You are terribly overreacting. The film just quit theaters. What do you expect? After SF left the show, nobody was expecting any news and rightly so. What is going on? Its just not logic all this whining and believing every bs thrown in your direction is insane.

So we're simply supposed to believe that any and all remotely negative 'rumors' or announcements we receive are completely false? Why? You lot have too much optimism, I suppose. Besides, was this announcement not from the MGM earnings report? Sounds like a confirmation moreso than "BS" to me.

We're the biggest Bond fans. On an online Bond forum. I don't get this sudden decision to not discuss James Bond once the new movie has been released. Are we not meant to overreact and overanalyze everything? Isn't that...like...the entire point of this forum? To debate and discuss James Bond - past, present, and future - as often as we'd like? Perhaps some of you just take the series a lot more relaxed than I do, but for me, I've been a crazily obsessed fan for nearly two decades now, so you bet your ass I'm going to pick any of it apart, whether it's the latest film or the latest announcement.

Also, we received a fairly steady stream of solid information regarding SP once SF was released, so perhaps that's why we weren't calling for it then - we were already receiving it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Seconded.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,619
    How to make the Bond franchise great again:

Step 1: fire Craig. Yes, he is the greatest Bond actor since Sean Connery, but he is getting older & doesn't seem that enthusiastic anymore about the franchise anyway + Spectre was a big misfire.

Step 2: hire a talented YOUNG actor, someone who will be no older than 35 years old before the release of his first Bond film (my personal choice would be Nicholas Hoult)

Step 3: do a soft reboot. In other words, don't acknowledge the Craig era or any of the previous Bond films, but at the same time don't do "Bond Begins" again. Make a movie in which Bond has already been a 00 agent for 1 or 2 years but is still a young agent.

Step 4: use Dr. No as the template. No, I don't necessarily mean make a Caribbean-set Bond film with fantasy elements, I mean make a stripped down thriller with a lower than usual budget.

Step 5: female main villain. There have been 24 official Bond movies so far, but this has never been done before. (No, Elekra King doesn't count, and even if she did, she was a shitty villain.)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »

like you said, the film just quit playing in theatres...after how long? It stayed extra long for a variety of reasons, one being because it struggled to reach 200 million domestic based on underwhelming WOM.

I wouldn't say its terribly overreacting but its easy to see why people aren't exactly leaping for joy or patting EoN on the back. The fact is EoN have so much great source material which they don't exploit to their advantage as much as they should and when we get 3 to 4 year gaps only to get half-arsed, unimaginative story concepts and lazy execution, what's the point? All the hype, build up and excitement massacred because hey, the fans will go to see it, it's James Bond afterall. I really hope this BvS fiasco is teaching everyone in Hollywood a very serious lesson, as that is a film that was delayed and pushed back a year and for what?

People have a right to be upset and annoyed. I for one don't give a crap how much effort EoN put into making these films; if all the time and effort is squandered into producing a mediocre and subpar product, showing appreciation and gratitude takes a one way trip down the toilet.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883

Step 1: fire Craig. Yes, he is the greatest Bond actor since Sean Connery, but he is getting older & doesn't seem that enthusiastic anymore about the franchise anyway + Spectre was a big misfire.

Step 2: hire a talented YOUNG actor, someone who will be no older than 35 years old before the release of his first Bond film (my personal choice would be Nicholas Hoult)

Step 3: do a soft reboot. In other words, don't acknowledge the Craig era or any of the previous Bond films, but at the same time don't do "Bond Begins" again. Make a movie in which Bond has already been a 00 agent for 1 or 2 years but is still a young agent.

Step 4: use Dr. No as the template. No, I don't necessarily mean make a Caribbean-set Bond film with fantasy elements, I mean make a stripped down thriller with a lower than usual budget.

Step 5: female main villain. There have been 24 official Bond movies so far, but this has never been done before. (No, Elekra King doesn't count, and even if she did, she was a shitty villain.)
    I like everything you've said except for Nicholas Hoult as a replacement.

Step 1: No. Keep Craig. The best Bond since Connery.

Step 2: Nicholas Hoult.....laughable.

Step 3: Just do a traditional stand alone film.

Step 4: use Dr. No as the template. No, I don't necessarily mean make a Caribbean-set Bond film with fantasy elements, I mean make a stripped down thriller with a lower than usual budget. Totally agree.

Step 5: Females are there to be Bonds conquests or a hench woman. Period.

I dont recall any Sp news so shortly after SF quit theaters.
    But I leave all the fun of being angry and sad and pessimistic to you. I wont participate anymore. Its depressing and in a way like listening to "I stamp my feed" kids all the time.

My personal wish is, that DC is out and leaves all this to the next guy.
    @suavejmf, so it's okay for a female to play a henchman...as long as she isn't the lead henchman, in the form of a villain? What logic...
    My personal wish is Craig to stay for 2 more films.
    Whats odd is how Skyfall while a good film had no true plot, & yet was the most successful film of the Craig era.

Craigs tenure IMO almolst feels split into two seperate eras. CR/QOS followed by SF &SP.

When Craig is done I bet on another 4-6 yr gap.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @suavejmf, so it's okay for a female to play a henchman...as long as she isn't the lead henchman, in the form of a villain? What logic...

That's correct. A Fiona Volpe or Onnatopp is perfect. But lead villain. No. Not interested. Blofelds daughter in Gardners novels just didn't work for me. Just not as threatening as a male villain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    An older, accomplished actress could pull it off. Helen Mirren for instance.
    Maybe. But I just wouldn't find a female villain as intimidating personally. Agreed. It would take a great actress.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    An older, accomplished actress could pull it off. Helen Mirren for instance.

Absolutely.
    suavejmf wrote: »

That's correct. A Fiona Volpe or Onnatopp is perfect. But lead villain. No. Not interested. Blofelds daughter in Gardners novels just didn't work for me. Just not as threatening as a male villain.

Thankfully you'll never be in charge of writing a Bond movie, then. How you can sit there and say that Bond should never have a female villain because a continuation novel used one in a way you didn't like is beyond me.

Personally, I couldn't get over the idea of the head of QUANTUM being someone like Tilda Swinton, before Spectre was ever even a strong possibility of making a return and overtaking QUANTUM's role in the series.
    No woman would be head of say Quantum because a man would overthrow her. Let's just stick to Fleming. Yes. Woman are equal and just as intelligent as men. But in a criminal world, men are far more ruthless and quite frankly....scary. Hence, male villains.
    No woman would be head of say Quantum because a man would overthrow her. Let's just stick to Fleming. Yes. Woman are equal and just as intelligent as men. But in a criminal world, men are far more ruthless and quite frankly....scary. Hence, male villains.

Get back to me once you've looked up Gertrude Lythgoe. You act like there's never been a single successful female inside the criminal underworld. Usually I have to trek through likes of the Yahoo comment section to find such close-minded nonsense.
    One last remark regarding a certain lazy, uninterested actor: Had he been less committed and yes, less tough, your film wouldnt be in theaters yet. I mean the knee injury. Its sure fair to badmouth him now.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »

I like everything you've said except for Nicholas Hoult as a replacement.

I agree with both posts, yes to the ideas, no to Hoult.

edited March 2016 Posts: 5,131

Get back to me once you've looked up Gertrude Lythgoe. You act like there's never been a single successful female inside the criminal underworld. Usually I have to trek through likes of the Yahoo comment section to find such close-minded nonsense.

Just looked her up as you said (as I hadn't heard of her). But she is still small fry compared to Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Rothstein and countless other male gangsters during the prohibition period. I can't name a single female gangster in the UK to compete with say....the Krays etc. In general, in crime, the top of the tree is a mans world.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    re: whether there was any significant news after Skyfall left theaters.

There was one key piece of news: The hiring of John Logan to write Bond 24 and Bond 25 was announced, also on an MGM earnings call, while Skyfall was still in theaters, mid-November 2012. It was part of the prepared remarks at the start of the call.
    @suavejmf, well thankfully the Bond films aren't reality, as you seem to believe. If they were, Bond would've been dead a long time ago and we wouldn't be here discussing it.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As I see it we are now at the waiting part
    Firstly Eon have to sort out the studio situation that will take up most of this year
    In the meantime work could be started on story but just I small amount
    Then Daniel has his TV work and some stage work and a well deserved rest as SP took it out of him
    So let's work on getting started sometime arround 2018 yes that's right 2018 production begins at the earliest
    So late in 2018 Bond 25 gets off the starting block with a release date of nov or dec 2019
    How's about that .
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Depressing
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    My bet? Friday, November 26th, 2018 in the UK and Friday, November 9th, 2018 in the US.
    jake24 wrote: »
    My bet? Friday, November 26th, 2018 in the UK and Friday, November 9th, 2018 in the US.

If only that were the case. Totally doable without Craig, but with his schedule, 2019 is the earliest we will get 'Bond 24.'