No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Birdleson wrote: »
    No pretty boy types, I say.

I am about to be hung upon saying this but I would prefer a pretty boy type (given good acting ability) to the ugly man we have now...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    HASEROT wrote: »
    sorry about the pic size.

Apologise for the idea not the pic size.

I've got nothing against the guy and, despite my reservations about a chav hero going in, the problems I have with Kingsman don't stem from his performance but he does not strike me as anywhere near being Bond material.

In any event it won't happen. EON aren't going to hire someone who has already played a proto Bond in another series.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Funny reading here that Craig has 'no charisma'. He's got buckets of it. Most US & British actors would bite your hand off for half of Dan's wit & charisma.

Don't compare him to Sean. His career was built on his gigantic charisma. He didn't even need to act (although he wasn't too shabby).
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @suavejmf, well thankfully the Bond films aren't reality, as you seem to believe. If they were, Bond would've been dead a long time ago and we wouldn't be here discussing it.

“Everything I write has a precedent in truth.” (Ian Fleming).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @suavejmf, well thankfully the Bond films aren't reality, as you seem to believe. If they were, Bond would've been dead a long time ago and we wouldn't be here discussing it.

“Everything I write has a precedent in truth.” (Ian Fleming).

Fleming sure never saw it coming that M would one day be played by a ruthless Woman.
    I think it is very well established by now that a woman could be a leader in the Bond world. I think we should have a female villain in the first movie of whoever the next guy will be, just to spice things up a little
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,131
    The female M was based on truth in MI6 at the time though. Name a female head of Criminal or Terrorist Organisation?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Please, no Eggsy for Bond. He was the weakest link in Kingsman as far as I'm concerned. Useless imho. I would actually prefer if the role is recast before Kingsman 2 comes out.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    The female M was based on truth in MI6 at the time though. Name a female head of Criminal or Terrorist Organisation?

Griselda Blanco jumps first to my mind, but there are many more. (google is your friend)
    but if we talk about 'realism' we should not have had half the villains we had in the Bond franchise ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Ma Dalton. (Not Timothy s mother).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    Please, no Eggsy for Bond. He was the weakest link in Kingsman as far as I'm concerned. Useless imho. I would actually prefer if the role is recast before Kingsman 2 comes out.

Agreed on all counts.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm Ma Baker put your hands in the air and give me all your money .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ma Blofeld in Bond 25.
    Blofeld in drag for Bond 25!
    Ma Blofeld in Bond 25.

I remember Ma Car was in AVTAK
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

I've got nothing against the guy and, despite my reservations about a chav hero going in, the problems I have with Kingsman don't stem from his performance but he does not strike me as anywhere near being Bond material.

In any event it won't happen. EON aren't going to hire someone who has already played a proto Bond in another series.

Pierce Brosnan - Remmington Steele??.. or did i miss something?

and no one thought Craig would be good as Bond - and yet, here we are, 4 films, nearly $3 billion later discussing the possibility of his returning/not returning for a 5th time.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    AceHole wrote: »
    Funny reading here that Craig has 'no charisma'. He's got buckets of it. Most US & British actors would bite your hand off for half of Dan's wit & charisma.

Don't compare him to Sean. His career was built on his gigantic charisma. He didn't even need to act (although he wasn't too shabby).

Craig's dry sarcasm tends to fly over people's heads sometimes.
    Not to mention The Saint with Roger Moore. But to be honest Both of them are way more sophisticated than Eggsy will ever be. :P
    i never mentioned that he'd be my ideal choice lol.... i just said, if they went young again, his is a name that they might (or might not) consider...

but if they did cast him, i'd be willing to give him a shot... if the Craig era taught me one thing, it's don't judge until you actually see them in the role... i wasn't 100% sold on Craig until that PTS to CR, where he knocked it out of the park.... so, you just never know
    i really saw no difference in his performance between SF and SP, other than he seemed more relaxed and confident.. the one positive glowing constant in all 4 films has been his performance.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Well, not to be nitpicking or anything, mate, but Remington Steele was nothing ever as Bond. And I've had a marathon of the series twice to confirm that. Steele is a comic relief. When was Bond ever that comedian?

Well, not to be nitpicking or anything, mate, but Remington Steele was nothing ever as Bond. And I've had a marathon of the series twice to confirm that. Steele is a comic relief. When was Bond ever that comedian?

between the years 1973 and 1985

...and it's close enough.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,423

Well, not to be nitpicking or anything, mate, but Remington Steele was nothing ever as Bond and wasn't necessarily comedy-oriented. And I've had a marathon of the series twice to confirm that. Steele is a comic relief. When was Bond ever that comedian?

between the years 1973 and 1985

...and it's close enough.
    Sorry, but the Bond you're referring to had a light-hearted humour, and wasn't necessarily comedy-oriented. Remington Steele was a character who always struggled in his comedy, was physically conflicted very much in the vein of Inspector Clouseau. I doubt Clouseau was anything like the 1973-1985 period of Bond.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But if you can recall, when REMINGTON STEELE came around, that's what the media (and the public in general) fixated on: here's the newest James Bond. I wasn't even watching the show and that's what I kept hearing.
    The humor in MOONRAKER and OCTOPUSSY was downright farcical, by the way. Again, I've only seen one episode, but I doubt we'd get the double-take pigeon, the Tarzan yell or "sit" in REMINGTON STEELE.
    It may have been that way, but Moonraker and Octopussy aren't labeled as comedies. In anyways, my point wasn't whether the Moore era was comedy or not. People in general love to go by what the mainstream opinion tells them without actually investigating it by themselves. Remington Steele is of an Inspector Clouseau template. Not or ever a James Bond one.
    I never saw Remington Steele as THAT campy. I mean it's light hearted and humorous but he was rarely ever a Clouseau type. He was suave and charming in a Roger Moore type way a bit more emphasized but not over the top. It was a nice blend of Drama and occasional comedy. Speaking of Remington Steele, I own the series on DVD and I'm tempted to watch it all over again. Minus the final season that was bad for everyone sadly.
    Steele was a little bit of serious version of Clouseau. The supporting characters had their share of comedic moments, too, but Steele himself was anything but Bondian or Moore-type. If any of the Moore roles, the closest I could bring him is the one in Crossplot. A comically conflicted character who pretended to be something he certainly wasn't, even having some Charlie Chaplin moments, so to say. And I am not saying that in a negative manner. Oh no. I was just saying Brosnan's character, as I repeat, is different than the Bond stereotype that Moore brought. Some episodes do address the Bond films, particularly Goldfinger in a white tuxedo being revealed from under a scuba diving outfit. Then again, the show addressed many classic films in every episode due to the character being a movie buff.
    I need to watch the series again but I remember a specific moment of one episode that clearly used the opening notes of the James Bond theme. That was pretty cool. Good times.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I need to watch the series again but I remember a specific moment of one episode that clearly used the opening notes of the James Bond theme. That was pretty cool. Good times.
    Season 2, Episode 01-02 had a theme that was similar to Bond in a way.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @TheWizardOfIce statement is hilarious.

Of course EON is and was always looking for someone that played a prototype Bond.

Roger Moore: The Saint (it's so obvious even a Wizard should take notice)
    Pierce Brosnan: Remington Steele (Steele is so late 70's Moore)
    Daniel Craig: Layer Cake

and they will again, why I think Hiddleston has just been transferred to the short-short list of BB.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117

Of course EON is and was always looking for someone that played a prototype Bond.

and they will again, why I think Hiddleston has just been transferred to the short-short list of BB.

Well I suppose I can't really argue with that.

The point is Egerton with a second (and maybe third) film out before he would get cast will be so intrinsically linked with the Kingsman franchise (which itself is much more a direct copy of Bond than The Saint or RS) to make it the laziest sort of uninspired Sun journalist casting.

And as we have seen with Dan Babs likes someone just a little bit leftfield and off the radar. By that time Egerton would be far too big a name or would have sunk the Kingsman series either of which would rule him out. For the same reason Cavill has now missed the boat - maybe they did it in the past but I dont believe that these days EON are going to go for guys who front other people's franchises.

Apart from anything else those guys demand more money and EON are nothing if not tightwads.
  • RC7RC7

Well I suppose I can't really argue with that.

The point is Egerton with a second (and maybe third) film out before he would get cast will be so intrinsically linked with the Kingsman franchise (which itself is much more a direct copy of Bond than The Saint or RS) to make it the laziest sort of uninspired Sun journalist casting.

And as we have seen with Dan Babs likes someone just a little bit leftfield and off the radar. By that time Egerton would be far too big a name or would have sunk the Kingsman series either of which would rule him out. For the same reason Cavill has now missed the boat - maybe they did it in the past but I dont believe that these days EON are going to go for guys who front other people's franchises.

Apart from anything else those guys demand more money and EON are nothing if not tightwads.

I think you can argue with it. You were pretty much spot on first time around, but perhaps proto-Bond isn't quite the right description. Kingsman is a direct send up of Bond and its tropes in the same way Austin Powers was, it's just that it is tonally very different. Casting Egerton would've been tantamount to casting Mike Myers as Graves or Robert Wagner as Le Chiffre. Roger, Pierce and Dan, in their respective roles, were more akin to Hiddleston in The Night Manager, or Turner in ATTWN. I definitely see a difference between most of the names mooted and Egerton. I fail to see why he'd be considered at all.