No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ah, the irony of people whining about others who are Bond fans who want to see more Bond sooner rather than later.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Cavill is just beefcake and a really dull actor.

His films are hardly setting the world alight. He was average in MOS (although not really his fault as the script was awful), Man From Uncle was hardly a smash and greater things were expected from BvS (although again mostly probably Snyder's fault) where the only consistent thing about the reviews is that Affleck blows him out of the water.

I don't think many people get excited at the prospect of a new Cavill film.

Plus as the star of another big franchise EON not going to touch him.

I didn't think much of Hiddlestone before but having watched The Night Manager he has turned me round. Could that programme be his Layer Cake?

Trouble is he's 35 so if they don't get him right now he'll be too old. With 3-4 year gaps the norm they need to hire someone around 33 and even then you'll be lucky to get 4 films out of them before they are past it.

If they hang on for Dan to stay then Hiddlestone will have missed the boat. Not sure if he's such an outstanding candidate that it's worth binning Dan to get him so we get 4 films out of him though.

I'd like to think EON are already eyeing up actors in their mid/late 20's who they can bring in in 2018/19 when Dan goes but I don't have that much faith in their forward planning.
    HASEROT wrote: »

Marvel movies are coming out fast - but thats also because there is a well laid plan in place, story wise, that Marvel is following... what you don't see, is that the movies coming out now, were conceived years ago - they didn't just sit down last summer and try to hash out a story for Captain America 3, that story has already been in a can for a long time.... keep in mind, Marvel right now - has a storyline plan in place that will take them through the year 2028.. so trust me, it looks like they are simply turning and burning these suckers out once a year, or once every other year - but they are not... Civil War was being worked on already before Winter Soldier had even come out..

Much as I decry the script flaws in SP I think the Marvel sausage factory route of churning out creatively moribund and repetitive tedium every year would not be good for Bond.

Bond shouldn't be competing with these $1bil kids films that rely on the 3D boost to make the box office look so spectacular.

600/700/800m is where we should be aiming and for a 2D release that is more than acceptable. The demographic for Bond is somewhat different to superhero films and rubbish like Transformers and Fast and Furious. These are not Bond's competitors. One of the mistakes of SP was chasing the $1b franchises by throwing huge wads of money at it rather than realising SF was a box office perfect storm and would be very tough to replicate even with a perfect script.

Bond is up against Bourne and MI and is doing perfectly fine in that market.

Where I will give credit to Marvel is they have a long term strategy. Not really sure how they can assume the films will keep being successful as far ahead as 2028 but the bubble shows no sign of bursting yet and I guess they have crunched the numbers and realised that the public appetite for seeing CGI skyscrapers getting knocked down for 2 hours is far from saturated yet.
    Turner to me looks so much like Adrian Paul that I would prefer him for that much debated Highlander reboot.

As for 007 Craig for one more in 2018 and then I don't know I really like Hiddleston but who knows.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    If Bond 25 is out in four years time - 2019 - (2015 - 2019) - it seems unlikely Daniel Craig will return. Would be quite a gap and I feel the worldwide audience would have had enough time to be prepared for a new actor. We could be seeing another 'Dalton to Brosnan' moment here.
    Cavill is just beefcake and a really dull actor.

His films are hardly setting the world alight. He was average in MOS (although not really his fault as the script was awful), Man From Uncle was hardly a smash and greater things were expected from BvS (although again mostly probably Snyder's fault) where the only consistent thing about the reviews is that Affleck blows him out of the water.

I don't think many people get excited at the prospect of a new Cavill film.

Plus as the star of another big franchise EON not going to touch him.

I didn't think much of Hiddlestone before but having watched The Night Manager he has turned me round. Could that programme be his Layer Cake?

Trouble is he's 35 so if they don't get him right now he'll be too old. With 3-4 year gaps the norm they need to hire someone around 33 and even then you'll be lucky to get 4 films out of them before they are past it.

If they hang on for Dan to stay then Hiddlestone will have missed the boat. Not sure if he's such an outstanding candidate that it's worth binning Dan to get him so we get 4 films out of him though.

I'd like to think EON are already eyeing up actors in their mid/late 20's who they can bring in in 2018/19 when Dan goes but I don't have that much faith in their forward planning.

Cavill is often slated for lacking charisma. I don't see any potential Moore/Connery/Brosnan charisma (based on his acting CV). But to give him the benefit of the doubt, James Bond is a unique film character and it's possible many actors can rise to the occasion and deliver a credible performance.

It's funny to think many people think Tom Hiddleston has certain qualities to play James Bond- his current tv show The Night Manager could be his showcase for the role - but many think he doesn't look macho enough whereas many feel Cavill looks good for the role but lacks the acting qualities. You can't win sometimes. ;)

My bet/wild guess is Eon will find someone that appeals to fans that want someone with a reasonably good look for the role but also with some acting range. In a sense Cavill has boxed himself into a stereotyped corner playing Superman. He's stuck with the role for two Justice League films and who knows what else? I don't blame him for taking the part but it may not help to showcase any greater acting range. I don't want Tom Hiddleston as the next Bond but he seems a more versatile actor than Mr Cavill.

I don't think Hiddleston or Cavill will be the next James Bond.
  • A 3-4 year gap is a bit disappointing. I missed the days where they came out every two years.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ah, the irony of people whining about others who are Bond fans who want to see more Bond sooner rather than later.

Odd isn't it?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Perilagu_Khan, my answer is irrelevant either way, because we're talking about a movie franchise, not reality. Again, reality would've left Bond dead a long, long time ago. To say that a main female villain is ridiculous in a series like this is, in itself, ridiculous.

If reality is irrelevant then why did you provide an example from reality? Fact is, you're all about handing roles to preferred groups in lieu of creating the best possible roles without recourse to ideology.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Perilagu_Khan, to counter his already insane, irrelevant argument. I'm not "all about" anything, I just think that saying a female villain wouldn't work at all when we've yet to even see one in the series is ridiculous and unfounded.
  • I think the big issue is whether or not a bigger gap of time between films means that there'll be a better film at the end of it. I don't really think it matters whether it's two years between films or four years between films. What matters is the team, the scriptwriters, the actors, the director, behind the film. If the team is right, fans will happily wait for three years or so. However, Spectre, which I really enjoyed, was a good film, that could and should have been a great one. The team behind that film were granted more than enough time to make it so. If fans are waiting for three/four years and not getting the best film possible, then they have every right to be upset and to demand more care be given to the Bond franchise they love.
    @Perilagu_Khan, to counter his already insane, irrelevant argument. I'm not "all about" anything, I just think that saying a female villain wouldn't work at all when we've yet to even see one in the series is ridiculous and unfounded.

My gravamen is with your apparent denial of fundamental differences between men and women, and the reality that those differences produce a greater tendency toward criminality--including organized crime--by men. I personally have nothing against a female Bond villain, but I do have a beef with all this equalitarian nonsense.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

My gravamen is with your apparent denial of fundamental differences between men and women, and the reality that those differences produce a greater tendency toward criminality--including organized crime--by men. I personally have nothing against a female Bond villain, but I do have a beef with all this equalitarian nonsense.

Feel free to quote any comment of mine over the last 24 hours that showcases a pro-stance that men and women are 100% equal when it comes down to "a greater tendency toward criminality." Please, feel free to quote it. I'll wait.

The person I was originally replying to was the one who brought up differences between men and women, so aim your comments elsewhere. Are men universally more ruthless and/or successful in a criminality aspect? Absolutely, never said they weren't.
  • I think the idea of a female Bond villain is incredibly intriguing. I wouldn't want to see a female Bond villain just for the sake of having a female Bond villain, but I think it'd be an interesting dynamic. Whether male or female, black or white, young or old, the whole issue is the villain's motivations, their on screen presence and the level of threat they hold towards Bond. It's down to the scriptwriters, director and casting team to get these things right, if they do, I really don't think gender, ethnicity, age or anything else matters in the slightest.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As with all things in life, it's all about the execution. I don't have all the much faith in EON (based on recent evidence) to believe they wouldn't screw it up, but the idea of a female master villain is indeed very intriguing, and if properly realized, could make a fantastic contribution to the series.
    I wouldn't mind too much with the gaps IF we had a good novel and/or video game series

As it Stands the Bond Novel Franchise is losing steam (Haven't read trigger mortis but again jumping from author to author time period to time period it's so jarring that it's hard to really keep track)

The Bond Video Game franchise is essentially dead and more then likely never coming back I have given up hope on this one...

There is the comic book franchise which is quite nice and of course there are other things to give me the bond fix both Old as in my going through the franchise each weekend my wife is working and New such as Night manger and MacGyver the Reboot scratching that espionage itch still I feel the long gaps with films is not the best idea but there isn't much i can do so oh well.
    I think the big issue is whether or not a bigger gap of time between films means that there'll be a better film at the end of it. I don't really think it matters whether it's two years between films or four years between films. What matters is the team, the scriptwriters, the actors, the director, behind the film. If the team is right, fans will happily wait for three years or so. However, Spectre, which I really enjoyed, was a good film, that could and should have been a great one. The team behind that film were granted more than enough time to make it so. If fans are waiting for three/four years and not getting the best film possible, then they have every right to be upset and to demand more care be given to the Bond franchise they love.

This.

If a 3 or 4 year gap really did make any great difference in the quality of the film then I might be onboard. But given SP was only marginally better than the hurried QOS then we might as well just churn them out every 2 years.
    I'd be on board for having a female main villain in the next Bond. Whether it's a man or a woman, the character must be developed much better. Show us the evil. Demonstrate why this person is such a baddie. Don't expect us to buy that the character is automatically evil without showing why we should believe it. There was some aspects of this in SP for Blofeld, but it left me wanting more evil from the character.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,755
    If Bond 25 does indeed come out in 2018, Craig should make it his last hurrah. And by that I mean the story needs to be epic. We need to see Craig's Bond retired & inadvertently pulled out of retirement by M to assassinate a recently escaped Blofeld. I want so bad to see a storyline like this. It would suit Daniel Craig so well. Plus we could see more of Waltz as this iconic villain. I for one am sincerely hoping he does just one more. Then we can all start focusing on a replacement.
    I think the big issue is whether or not a bigger gap of time between films means that there'll be a better film at the end of it. I don't really think it matters whether it's two years between films or four years between films. What matters is the team, the scriptwriters, the actors, the director, behind the film. If the team is right, fans will happily wait for three years or so. However, Spectre, which I really enjoyed, was a good film, that could and should have been a great one. The team behind that film were granted more than enough time to make it so. If fans are waiting for three/four years and not getting the best film possible, then they have every right to be upset and to demand more care be given to the Bond franchise they love.

This.

If a 3 or 4 year gap really did make any great difference in the quality of the film then I might be onboard. But given SP was only marginally better than the hurried QOS then we might as well just churn them out every 2 years.

Well said. Considering how long it's been since a 2 year cycle was the norm- 1999- I can remember having this same conversation on the Bond forums in 2005 as we were awaiting news on BOND 21: who would be playing Bond, would they EVER go back to 2 year intervals, etc. I wonder how many of us on these boards are left who actually lived through the luxury of having a new film expected and actually arrive within 2 years. I remember it well. If the current film was a weaker Bond, it wouldn't be long before the next film surpassed it. No big deal. Now whenever a new film comes out and is a disappointment or considered "the worst film in the series", it's kind of a blow considering that the quality should NOT have decreased to such a level after the longer wait.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,483

Feel free to quote any comment of mine over the last 24 hours that showcases a pro-stance that men and women are 100% equal when it comes down to "a greater tendency toward criminality." Please, feel free to quote it. I'll wait.

The person I was originally replying to was the one who brought up differences between men and women, so aim your comments elsewhere. Are men universally more ruthless and/or successful in a criminality aspect? Absolutely, never said they weren't.

There is no quote. Rather, one may easily read between the lines you write. The whole calling somebody "closed-minded" simply reeks of the shrill "Women are as good as men in everything!"-ism that permeates the very atmosphere we breathe. And it gets bloody irksome.

PS--I'd love to see Angela Burq'el and George Sauros team up as co-villains in a Bond film.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The Bond Video Game franchise is essentially dead and more then likely never coming back I have given up hope on this one...

I will NEVER give up hope on this one! Since the games got me into Bond in the first place.
    EoN just needs to pull themselves together and hire a great studio that can produce a whole series of high quality games, that can be bestsellers again.This franchise is still a big money maker and there are studios who would love to have a shot at it
  • @ToTheRight I think you make an excellent point. Whatever anybody's opinion, Spectre received a lukewarm reception overall with both fans and critics. Rather than waiting three/four years, it'd be a great idea to get to work on the next instalment asap as a statement of intent, that Bond is still very much going strong.

There is no quote. Rather, one may easily read between the lines you write. The whole calling somebody "closed-minded" simply reeks of the shrill "Women are as good as men in everything!"-ism that permeates the very atmosphere we breathe. And it gets bloody irksome.

PS--I'd love to see Angela Burq'el and George Sauros team up as co-villains in a Bond film.

Not as irksome as this tedious argument chaps.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I thought both previous main female Bond villains, Klebb and Elektra, were great. I would like to see another for variety sake, but with a unique angle.
    I'd love to see this again as well. Helen Mirren or Tilda Swinton would be perfect for a Bond villainess.

I'd like to see another main female villian. On some Bondsite awhile back I read shortly before Moore resigned, there were talks of him doing an 8th Bond with possibly Bette Davis as the main villain. Apparently it would have made better use of his age than AVTAK and would have had an older main Bond girl a'la Maud Adams. I'd love to find more information on this rumor.
    For the next film- anything goes. If Eon is currently developing the next film and looking for the next world's threat or whatever-who knows what type of villain we'll have? I'm hoping Barber's comments were just his own anticipation of a timeframe and that Eon are as we speak racking their brains for the next film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    "The actor has stated he would "love to do it", though he'll have to fight off competition from the likes of Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, and Tom Hardy"

quote from article.

To be honest I would hate it if any of them got the role...

Aidan Turner save us please!

if Bond 25 is to be Craig's last - and going forward, they continue on with the same 3-4 gaps between film, then i believe if they are going to get any longevity out of an actor in the role, then they are going to have to cast young again.... which leads me to Taron Egerton - who is currently 26 years old, and has already cut his teeth for Bond with the film Kingsmen... he'd be 32 years old by the time Bond 26 would come out... which was also the same age George Lazenby was in OHMSS - and 2 years younger than Connery in DN.

taron-egerton-dons-suit-for-baftas-02_zpsrlfs9tf5.jpg
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    sorry about the pic size.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    HASEROT wrote: »
    "The actor has stated he would "love to do it", though he'll have to fight off competition from the likes of Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, and Tom Hardy"

quote from article.

To be honest I would hate it if any of them got the role...

Aidan Turner save us please!

if Bond 25 is to be Craig's last - and going forward, they continue on with the same 3-4 gaps between film, then i believe if they are going to get any longevity out of an actor in the role, then they are going to have to cast young again.... which leads me to Taron Egerton - who is currently 26 years old, and has already cut his teeth for Bond with the film Kingsmen... he'd be 32 years old by the time Bond 26 would come out... which was also the same age George Lazenby was in OHMSS - and 2 years younger than Connery in DN.

taron-egerton-dons-suit-for-baftas-02_zpsrlfs9tf5.jpg

Uh, you may need to revise your facts. Lazenby was 29 at the time of OHMSS and Connery was 32 during DN.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    While I did like Kingsman, I'm not a fan of Taron Egerton as Gary Unwin, and I surely don't want him anywhere near the Bond character. Perhaps a minor MI-6 agent, but certainly not Bond.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, I think Craig would benefit from having a master villainness in one of his flicks. If done right, of course.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No pretty boy types, I say.
    I heartily agree with that one.